DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Hi

Unless you have bought other maps such as USA or Australasia etc the only map on your GO500 will be Western Europe and if you want to download the Full Map with 3D buildings then you will have to install a Micro SD card, max 32GB although 16gb will be more than enough and the map is installed to that. I suspect that the Non 3D buildings will become to big for the Internal memory in the not to distant future.

Why do you want to buy the UK map with or without 3D buildings unless you are think that as it will be smaller it will update quicker. The UK map will provide you with no more benefits. As far as I know you could buy the UK map and install it on the Internal memory provided that you have deleted the Western European Map first. Once you have then installed the UK map internally you could then if you want install the West Euro map onto the extra memory the 2 maps would then appear in the change map option other than the Europe 995.8490 you should have now as it is logged to your account.

You should not need to do a Factory Rest unless you have an operating problem. A Soft Reset should be enough following updates. Doing the factory reset means you then have to wait for the unit to reload all the POI files and Routes you had on it from the TT server either by the inbuilt Sim or when connected to your computer and you have ensured your unit has logged into your TT Account.

Hope you are up and running okay now.

Doug

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi

Unless you have bought other maps such as USA or Australasia etc the only map on your GO500 will be Western Europe and if you want to download the Full Map with 3D buildings then you will have to install a Micro SD card, max 32GB although 16gb will be more than enough and the map is installed to that. I suspect that the Non 3D buildings will become to big for the Internal memory in the not to distant future.

Why do you want to buy the UK map with or without 3D buildings unless you are think that as it will be smaller it will update quicker. The UK map will provide you with no more benefits. As far as I know you could buy the UK map and install it on the Internal memory provided that you have deleted the Western European Map first. Once you have then installed the UK map internally you could then if you want install the West Euro map onto the extra memory the 2 maps would then appear in the change map option other than the Europe 995.8490 you should have now as it is logged to your account.

You should not need to do a Factory Rest unless you have an operating problem. A Soft Reset should be enough following updates. Doing the factory reset means you then have to wait for the unit to reload all the POI files and Routes you had on it from the TT server either by the inbuilt Sim or when connected to your computer and you have ensured your unit has logged into your TT Account.

Hope you are up and running okay now.

Doug
Factory reset deletes EVERYTHING stored on the unit.
Connecting back to TomTom doesn't restore saved routes or any other data except the lifetime map (western Europe)
When I bought this unit it wasn't possible to install POIs, that function came at a later update, so there are no saved POIs.
Any saved settings have to be 're-entered then saved again, they are saved to the unit, not the server.

Why would I want to cross their Palm with yet more silver to buy a map I already have, albeit part of a much larger map.

Never had a navigation problem with this unit but due to extremely slow and long map updates it will go in the bin eventually.

Only real issue is, if heading south it routes me to the M62 at Howden, M18 then A1
That's fine, my chosen route anyway.
Returning home, it forgets the M18 and M62 and tries to take me up the A1 to the A64...a route I would never take unless every other road was closed.
Surely, the fastest route must be the same in EACH direction....it's following the same A1 motorway home as it was going south.
The A64 route is 20 miles more and 1/2 hour slower.

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Us
They don't do updates for my old TomTom, so I don't have to FAFF about downloading them.:)
Us too, we are down in Puglia, having not bought a new TT and they had absolved all resppnsibility for it, But we still got here OK with old one!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
The 4th appeared to be a system update (nav4) which I need to investigate.

It seems OK on ours - one of the features is a split screen effect when leaving a motorway junction so you don't lose track of where to go after the sliproad. The feature I've switched off recently is the Creeping Fascism mode that asks you if you're going to a certain place based (apparently) on the time of day you set off. Can't be doing with that level of intrusion into my personal freedom :)

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
It seems OK on ours - one of the features is a split screen effect when leaving a motorway junction so you don't lose track of where to go after the sliproad. The feature I've switched off recently is the Creeping Fascism mode that asks you if you're going to a certain place based (apparently) on the time of day you set off. Can't be doing with that level of intrusion into my personal freedom :)
Instead of split screen they should be putting the turn where it is....at the start of the slip road instead of at the actual junction.
All too easy in very heavy traffic to glance at the 'distance to turn' on screen, see 200 yards and miss the slip road entrance because it's 100 yards behind you.

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Hi Pappajohn

You can only export Routes(Tracks) you have created on your GO500 if you have created them by recording the routes as you travel and then when saved you have to insert a Micro SD card formatted for Routes(Track) and then save it to the card and then you load it onto your PC. When you have saved it to the PC you can open it in MyDrive and resave it in MYdrive. If you create a new route in MyDrive and save it there then when you boot up your GO500 and connect it to your data source it will sync with MyDrive and copy all the Routes saved on MyDrive onto the unit into My Routes. This then means that when you do a Factory Set it should recopy the routes to the unit when it is logged in. The same goes for POI's. If you copy a POI file to MyDrive it will sync to the unit when you are logged in.

All the other settings you want will have to be restored like the order the menu icons appear and Language etc however all your MyPlace POI's and POI files and Routes can be restored without you having to redo them. You don't need to connect it to your computer and reload them from scratch. You connect your unit to your Data source as you would for traffic and ensure it is logged in to its account.

Mine gives the same routing south from you and back. Does seem odd.

Doug

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Far too complicated Doug.
If I go somewhere I've already been, which is extremely unlikely, I simply enter the postcode again.
'My routes' and 'recent destinations' were stored on the unit until the factory reset but I won't lose sleep worrying now they've gone.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back