Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
Hi Steve here
I was walking the dogs on top path around the lake at Carsington water today and watching the sailing and looking at the sails taking a battering.
It got me thinking about motorbike covers.
If the sails don't rip with the wind.
Could you have a motorbike cover made with the same material purpose made by a sail company.
We are due to go to France and Spain and take the KTM on the easylifter and really want to cover it.
Has anyone tried this idea having a cover made with sail canvas

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
No.

Wouldn't a standard (Oxford or similar) motorcycle cover do?

Ian

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Worcestershire and Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
I think any kind of fabric cover would be agitated by the wind when driving and damage the paintwork. I wonder if you could make a lightweight frame to keep the cover from touching the bike in vulnerable places.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
@Steve & Gina My brother-in-law makes light aircraft covers out of what I assume is sail canvas. Tough stuff!

It certainly won't rip in the wind, but like all similar materials, you have to make sure you don't get rubbing on the corners. An inner lining with padding on any pressure points would probably be needed. A cover for a bike kept outside is very different from a cover designed to protect a bike on a moving vehicle.

A one-off could be expensive - there would be more time spent on getting the pattern made than on making the cover itself. I'm happy to ask him if it's feasible though.

Unless you can provide a pattern, it would mean a trip to Shobdon Airfield, near Leominster. No great hardship - it's a lovely part of the country & there is a campsite on the airfield as well as another very nice site in the next village. He also re-upholsters vintage cars, so there is frequently something interesting to look at in his workshop!

It's like sheeting a wagon - the trick is to make sure nothing flaps & nothing moves & rubs.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back