York P+R - Dog friendly? (1 Viewer)

Baileysbus

Free Member
Aug 2, 2016
Fife
Funster No
Exp
Start of 2016
We're planning a jaunt round Yorkshire in early October and while we tried to get onto the Rowntree campsite for a day in York, it looks like it's chock full.
So we'll probably Britstop outside somewhere and then use one of the P+R sites and park the Moho there and then bus into the city.
Does anyone know if the bus service is OK about taking dogs (dog actually). Can't see anything on their site to say they do or don't but I'm sure someone here has been there and done that (y)

Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
Sorry can’t help specifically with York P&R but in our experience of using others around the country, we’ve never had an issue with taking the dog.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
There's a lovely CL across from the university, Fulford, Heslington Lane, Bleak House Farm, only £7 a night, you can walk to York in 30 mins, the buses go regularly from Broadway shops 5 minutes walk away.

You can also cycle in along the river what a lovely ride it is too, only takes 10 minutes. Great dog walks from the site too, in the university opposite or in the surrounding countryside.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

raysalaugh

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2011
Leyland
Funster No
MH
AT Delaware
Exp
since 2010
We use C & MC Beechwood Grange quite close to P&R , also retail park there.
Take our dog on the bus into York.

Ray

OP
OP
Baileysbus

Baileysbus

Free Member
Aug 2, 2016
Fife
Funster No
Exp
Start of 2016
There's a lovely CL across from the university, Fulford, Heslington Lane, Bleak House Farm, only £7 a night, you can walk to York in 30 mins, the buses go regularly from Broadway shops 5 minutes walk away.

You can also cycle in along the river what a lovely ride it is too, only takes 10 minutes. Great dog walks from the site too, in the university opposite or in the surrounding countryside.
Thanks for that @CazPaul. I'll go look at that site and see if they've got space (y)

Jul 26, 2015
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Hoping to buy 2016
Exp
None whatsoever
We used the ordinary bus with our dog from York Caravan Park over Aug BH Weekend.

Imbiber

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Castleford, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
You can park your motorhome on Foss Island's road (opposite Waitrose) and it's just a short walk into the city from there. Parking is specifically for Motorhomes and the price per day is very reasonable.

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
You can park your motorhome on Foss Island's road (opposite Waitrose) and it's just a short walk into the city from there. Parking is specifically for Motorhomes and the price per day is very reasonable.

I'm not sure you can stay overnight though.

Imbiber

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Castleford, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
I'm not sure you can stay overnight though.

I'm not either. But I thought the OP was looking to drive from a Britstop to a P&R and then use the bus with their dog? Just though Foss Islands was more convenient than the bus.

OP
OP
Baileysbus

Baileysbus

Free Member
Aug 2, 2016
Fife
Funster No
Exp
Start of 2016
I'm not either. But I thought the OP was looking to drive from a Britstop to a P&R and then use the bus with their dog? Just though Foss Islands was more convenient than the bus.
Yup. It's just a day visit really. Would be nice to stay over but that doesn't look possible. As long as we can get our York fix for a day, that will be good :)

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Point taken. It's certainly closer,than either of York's Park & Rides.

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
You can also often find parking on Lord Mayor's Walk. Often seen motorhome's parked there and it's really central. As a York resident, haven't really looked at parking facilities. The Rowntrees Park site seems to be perpetually fully booked, from friends who've tried to book there.

Last edited:
D

DM14742

Deleted User
I'm currently discussing getting an aire constructed at one of York's park and rides similar to Canterbury's, all seems favourable so far ( the councillor is my son in law ) so hopefully it will happen in the not too distant future.

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
Are there any Height barriers at the P+R sites in York?
I know the Rawcliffe Park Ride has designated parking bays for motorhomes so no height barriers. There is also a cycle track along the river bank into the city. It's not obvious though its behind the hedge near the disabled parking area.

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Although the Rawcliffe P&R allows motorhomes, there is a height barrier which can be raised. But you have to get the attendant to raise it. See the link in my earlier post. Good cycle path as Hils and Glenns posted and you can go most of the way to Beninborough Hall on this cycle path. A worthwhile trip as the grounds are free and there is an excellent café there.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back