Space saver spare wheel (1 Viewer)

Jul 25, 2017
scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
Since 2017
Hi, Just wondered if any of you guys can please help a newbie. We have not long bought a Rapido 9048DF 2010. Very happy with it so far, but don't like the idea of not having a spare wheel. Does anyone know if you can purchase one for this m/h and would one fit in space between double floor?

Any advice appreciated.

Alex

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
Hi Alex . The spare wheel will not fit between the floors ,that's if you could lift it lol.I store ours in the garage .Never needed it yet but would not be without it .Cheers H

Dec 29, 2012
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7066df
Exp
Since 2014
Hi, Just wondered if any of you guys can please help a newbie. We have not long bought a Rapido 9048DF 2010. Very happy with it so far, but don't like the idea of not having a spare wheel. Does anyone know if you can purchase one for this m/h and would one fit in space between double floor?

Any advice appreciated.

Alex
I am fairly sure you will not get a "space saver" spare wheel for a motorhome. As @treetops1 says a full size spare will not fit in the double floor. I have just purchased a spare wheel and tyre and fitted it in the garage.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
alex n
Jul 25, 2017
scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
Since 2017
Thanks guys but as our model doesn't have a garage and refitting one underneath can't be done as the box that takes the 2 leisure batteries obstructs the area, I thought a 'space saver spare wheel' might have been the answer. - Need to think again!

IandJ

Free Member
Oct 6, 2017
Funster No
Hello Alex, I wondered if you had found a solution to the spare wheel problem.
I am another newbie who is in the process of choosing our first Motorhome (exciting times). Really liked the Rapido 9048df, but not being able to carry a spare wheel would be a real deal breaker for me for this model.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Confession time - our previous van, which we bought new - suddenly appeared for sale at a very special price, many thousands below retail. It was about 70 miles from us. Saw it on the website in the evening, rang in the morning to check still available - the dealer had just picked up some 'distressed stock' and had 4 vans, one of which was already sold. We drove straight down, checked it over carefully, or so we thought, and did the deal there and then.

It was only after we got it I realised it didn't have a spare wheel!! :( First vehicle I'd ever had without one. As it was, the van before - a Rapido - did have one. Soon discovered there was nowhere to fit a spare underneath and insufficient garage size to get one inside - so the only other options were to bolt one on the back wall or on the roof, but discounted both of those ideas.

Upshot, we drove all over Europe for 5 years and 30,000 miles without a puncture or damage to the tyres - phew! (y)

But have to admit, it was always something of a concern.

Last year we went back to a Rapido, but a van conversion this time, and checked it DID have a spare wheel underneath. :)

One thing I did do was to get the TyrePal tyre pressure monitors, to give early warning of any slow loss of ar or overheating tyres, which gave some useful confidence. Transferred them to the new van.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
As said you can't get space saver wheels for commercial vehicles they are not suitable for the load.
If you are going to buy a rim and a tyre be careful I found out most of the aftermarket rims only have a load rating of 1000kg. Not suitable for my van as the rear axle ratting was 2500kg. I managed to pick up an as new genunie Fiat wheel with the same part number as my wheels on eBay, it was a an unsed wheel that had the tyre removed where the tyre had been swapped to an alloy.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I'm surprised that you cannot buy "puncture insurance" to give you peace of mind. = The provision of roadside assistance, but only for punctures.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I have a spare but never needed it. Maybe it's a bit like taking a brolly?
I can understand the anxiety if travelling without one, although we're expected to survive with a 'gunge kit' where spares are not provided.

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
Just remember if in France and you have a puncture and you have a call out and the tyre needs replacing as beyond repair and need a new tyre fitting and the fitter does not have a tyre to match you cannot have different tyres on the same axle ,which means you have to have two fitted.If you have no room for a spare wheel, try and squeeze a tyre onboard somewhere.lol

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Despite never having had to use it, I've never had any vehicle without a spare wheel. I just know that as soon as I do, I'll have a blowout.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
there is an option if your van has a towbar fit the spare wheel on a towbar mounted bike rack

IandJ

Free Member
Oct 6, 2017
Funster No
Thank you everyone for the helpful replies. I am amazed that it is possible to buy a vehicle & have no realistic provision to even carry a spare. We are looking to travel to more remote areas of Morocco, Norway etc. & couldn't really contemplate travelling without one. So I'm afraid that the Rapido 9048df is out for us, a real pity as we both love the van. I am now looking at the Hymer B544 as this does have room under the floor for a spare. Thanks again for all your help.
Ian

Aug 3, 2015
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
3 years campervan, many as a tugger
Hi, we have a 9048df, and like you were concerned about the lack of a spare wheel. Our solution was to buy a good second hand wheel and a simple wheel cover designed for a 4x4. This fits neatly in the bottom of the wardrobe, fastened to the wall with ratchet straps. The cover will stop any dirty marks on our clothes, though as I’m not posh enough for long frocks this isn’t an issue for us!
Hope this may help, and good luck in your travels!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Just remember if in France and you have a puncture and you have a call out and the tyre needs replacing as beyond repair and need a new tyre fitting and the fitter does not have a tyre to match you cannot have different tyres on the same axle ,which means you have to have two fitted.If you have no room for a spare wheel, try and squeeze a tyre onboard somewhere.lol
Same in Spain.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back