Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
Ill make a list and pm you :D

Strange as when I came over for the TT my insurance was as if I was on the mainland.

Crikey - don't say 'the mainland' to a local. THIS is the mainland you will be told - the UK is 'the adjacent Isle! True story. :)

Yes, it's always been a weird one. Some insurers will class us as part of the UK for insurance purposes but most won't because we are not part of the UK and have never been in the EU.

And would you believe it - SAGA rang me today to say my Green card had been approved! I take it all back about them. What a wonderful company to deal with. :)

Looks as though I'm a step closer to dipping my toe back in Moroccan waters…

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Cheers for that!

:welcome4: get yourselves a full membership, only £15, which will give you access to all the resources on the site, as well as mounds of other useful info. Then you can download my article about taking a motorhome to Morocco from the Resources section. Two years old now but still current.

Be a bit more precise about your date of crossing and you may well find another Funster or two going at the same time - always nice to have company when venturing somewhere out of the ordinary for the first time. Although in fact it is quite simple.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 8, 2016
France
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750
Exp
Since 2010
We are hoping to return again in Early Jan 2018 hope we can meet up with a few others this coming year. We went for the first time last January but unfortunately must have been in front/behind others. We didn't come across any UK vans at all. Ours is French registered so not easy to tell we are Brits. We had a great time anyway and hopefully our friends will be joining us next year. May see some of you on our travels

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
We are hoping to return again in Early Jan 2018 hope we can meet up with a few others this coming year. We went for the first time last January but unfortunately must have been in front/behind others. We didn't come across any UK vans at all. Ours is French registered so not easy to tell we are Brits. We had a great time anyway and hopefully our friends will be joining us next year. May see some of you on our travels
Head down to Tafroute, some great Funsters and many other good Brits will be there. (and some smashing Europeans too of course!..........and some frogs!).

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
However, we are unable to obtain any sort of health insurance because we tour away from the uk for over 6 months at a time. Any tips?

We use Justtravelcover.com. Just renewed our policy. 'Single trip' policy 20 sept 2017 to 19 sept 2018 to Europe and Morocco. Deleted cancelation and baggage just leaving medical cover. £325 (365 days travel) or £35 for annual policy (but max 90 days)

Sep 8, 2016
France
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750
Exp
Since 2010
We have often suggested to french reg expats to have an extra GB sticker to encourage recognition - some actively avoid this idea!!!!
Hubby has already bought one -just nice to speak English occasionally especially when he feels the need to 'discuss' football ⚽

Sep 8, 2016
France
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750
Exp
Since 2010
Head down to Tafroute, some great Funsters and many other good Brits will be there. (and some smashing Europeans too of course!..........and some frogs!).
Might do that . We were told to head to a spot near Tan Tan where there is a nice Oasis too. Going to head straight down there this time then make our way slowly back. Hoping to get as much sun as possible

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Might do that . We were told to head to a spot near Tan Tan where there is a nice Oasis too. Going to head straight down there this time then make our way slowly back. Hoping to get as much sun as possible
Near the port is Camping Atlantique TanTan. We stayed here in 2016 and it was reasonable for Moroc standards ( Low pressure for fresh water out of taps but showers hot) Very cheap food in the town and half an hours drive further south is a wonderful spot for free wild camping as you cross the small lagoon.
IMG_9171.JPG
IMG_9183.JPG
IMG_9767.JPG
IMG_9770.JPG

May 12, 2016
Blackwood Caerphilly
Funster No
MH
N&B Arto
Exp
Since 1986
Just out of interest how much is the crossing.
I only have a LWB Sprinter van
We came over yesterday. €250 Is Carlos current price minus €20 for funster membership. Is it dearer at this time of year as others quoted €200 minus €20 earlier in year. Another couple of Brits on same crossing paid €250 via Carlos and they only had a small vw panel van v our 7m Arto.
1 other mention. Couldn't find guardian parking on beach we stayed at many years ago.
Vehicle importation was a complete farce. Thought Ceuta was bad enough.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
We came over yesterday. €250 Is Carlos current price minus €20 for funster membership. Is it dearer at this time of year as others quoted €200 minus €20 earlier in year. Another couple of Brits on same crossing paid €250 via Carlos and they only had a small vw panel van v our 7m Arto.
1 other mention. Couldn't find guardian parking on beach we stayed at many years ago.
its usually any motor home regardless of size . , even my mini artic is the same price , mind its only 10mtrs long many m,homes are longer.
mind was cheaper years ago only paid 110e with carlos about 2002.
prices do go up. mind have paid over 300e one year. again with carlos .

Aug 29, 2010
Nuneaton. Only when I have to.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
Near the port is Camping Atlantique TanTan. We stayed here in 2016 and it was reasonable for Moroc standards ( Low pressure for fresh water out of taps but showers hot) Very cheap food in the town and half an hours drive further south is a wonderful spot for free wild camping as you cross the small lagoon.
View attachment 186729 View attachment 186730 View attachment 186731 View attachment 186732

Fort Bou Jerif on the way down? 29.0821° N, 10.3314° W

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp

Which crossing? We paid €200 less €20 in January for the Tangier-Med crossing. Might be different for the others.
Guardian parking on beach - if you're referring to Asilah, it's probably gone. Was supposed to be moving across the road but I understand the campsite was actually cheaper so nobody used it.

May 12, 2016
Blackwood Caerphilly
Funster No
MH
N&B Arto
Exp
Since 1986
View attachment 186729 View attachment 186730 View attachment 186731 View attachment 186732
Any chance you can give us more info for directions please. We're heading Bou Jerif and below. Thanks

Oct 12, 2013
Filey
Funster No
MH
N and B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
Which crossing? We paid €200 less €20 in January for the Tangier-Med crossing. Might be different for the others.
Guardian parking on beach - if you're referring to Asilah, it's probably gone. Was supposed to be moving across the road but I understand the campsite was actually cheaper so nobody used it.
Stay at the camping, only 600m along the prom from the 'guardian parking

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp

Hi Hilary
Was it you we met briefly on the service station by Valencia last week? We are in another Arto.

Dont know what you re using to find places and think you've had a few years off but the vicarious book is pretty much the same and well out of date by now. We ve found that

http://campingcar-infos.com/index.php

and

Gave us the most up to date info.

Hope you have a great time and please do post how you find it and the weather this time of year.

Jon

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
There is also a facebook site called uberwintern in marokko. Its a german closed site but very helpful.

Apr 10, 2015
Australia
Funster No
MH
Big Marlin ,Elnagh, 1998
Exp
Motorhoming Europe since 2009
We are in Morocco have been here for a week. With 3 people and the vehicle it cost us 240 euros crossing at Cueta. Carlos was to the right of the Lidl, had to follow the sign.
Our fridge is playing up, so if anyone who has been to Morocco in the past has had theirs repairs would appreciate any advice. Otherwise all is going well. Any one wanting to follow our trip can do so on our blog site, details below. You can subscribe on the home page to get email updates. While I am on the forum I would like to thank all those funsters who have been to Morocco for their advise and useful information. Cheers from Morocco

Jun 12, 2014
Fife
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since1982
Hi Graham and Jane,
Very interested in joining you for this trip, but Rosemarie is prone to mosquito bites. Would this be a problem?

May 12, 2016
Blackwood Caerphilly
Funster No
MH
N&B Arto
Exp
Since 1986
We are in Morocco have been here for a week. With 3 people and the vehicle it cost us 240 euros crossing at Cueta. Carlos was to the right of the Lidl, had to follow the sign.
Our fridge is playing up, so if anyone who has been to Morocco in the past has had theirs repairs would appreciate any advice. Otherwise all is going well. Any one wanting to follow our trip can do so on our blog site, details below. You can subscribe on the home page to get email updates. While I am on the forum I would like to thank all those funsters who have been to Morocco for their advise and useful information. Cheers from Morocco
We have just left Marrakech and heading for Essaouira. Staying at guardian parking outside the medina walls unless it has moved.

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
Hi Graham and Jane,
Very interested in joining you for this trip, but Rosemarie is prone to mosquito bites. Would this be a problem?
We encountered very, very few mossies in Morocco. I think its too dry for them.
Flying insects by and large are not a problem at all, although we did have an issue with flies in a couple of places.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
heading for Essaouira. Staying at guardian parking outside the medina walls unless it has moved.

The GP outside the walls has gone, it's now located at the south end of the beach, about 1km but a nice walk along the prom. Camel and horse rides, buggy expeditions and plenty of parasurfers. Fortunately the high sand dunes protect the parking from the usual fresh on-shore wind. Facilities a bit sparse though, but there is a campsite a little further on, at the roundabout.
We did see a couple of smaller vans parked in the carpark outside the walls, by the fishing port but they were a bit hemmed in and it was very noisy.

Oct 12, 2013
Filey
Funster No
MH
N and B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
We stayed in the campsite, only 200m from the wild camping 'car park'. IMO it makes sense to pay an extra £2 and be able to sit outside your van, use the wifi, fill up with water and drop your waste and have a 24hour security guard. Onlay my opinion!!!

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
First time at Essaouria we went onto the campsite - and very quickly left! Others have had the same experience, then again folk have also been very happy. Horses for courses.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back