Free Member
Sep 21, 2017
The beautiful West Highlands of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki
Exp
10 years
I'm looking at maybe booking a ferry to Spain for October and was wondering if it's worth joing Brittany Ferries club for discounts. Have you done it? Is it worth it? I'm working on costings re drive through France or the 'fast route'
Bit dubious about the Bay of Biscay!
Appreciate your wise words :)

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
We use them four times a year and it would pay for us.

If i remember its about £100 to join plus the yearly fee. After that it is just the yearly fee.

Discount is only on the fare not cabins but u get £8 towards breakfast.

The discount is 15% if i remember correct.

Some members on here will send u a code on the friends and family discount scheme and then u get 10%

I hope i got all ghe numbers correct but if not some one will advise.

If only one round trip it might be better for you to ask someone to share a discount code for the ferry service u want

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
If you have time then it would always be drive but for me where time is not on my side due to work for the last 2 years we have taken the Portsmouth to Santander and this year we are doing the same. It is slightly more expensive but we get back approx 3 days which for us is worth the extra, not everyone's cup of tea but each to their own :) it is worth joining to get the 30% off the crossing even if you just use it once a year like we do.

Nov 13, 2013
Bideford, Devon
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessora 487
Exp
since 2011
Hi,
We came back this year on 13th September and the Bay of Biscay was a bit lumpy! The ferry was three hours late leaving and then three hours late reaching Plymouth!! We bit the bullet and booked a Commodore Cabin so spent the time watching daytime TV. A quick dash down stairs for food (There were not long queues!!) If you're not a good sailor then I would suggest booking a cabin with TV and if the forecast is not good stock up with sandwiches etc before you leave. We're returning again next year on the same route so its now a long distant memory!!! Does the camera tell the truth!!!!
IMG_3031.JPG IMG_3030.JPG
IMG_3031.JPG
IMG_3030.JPG

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Hi,
We came back this year on 13th September and the Bay of Biscay was a bit lumpy! The ferry was three hours late leaving and then three hours late reaching Plymouth!! We bit the bullet and booked a Commodore Cabin so spent the time watching daytime TV. A quick dash down stairs for food (There were not long queues!!) If you're not a good sailor then I would suggest booking a cabin with TV and if the forecast is not good stock up with sandwiches etc before you leave. We're returning again next year on the same route so its now a long distant memory!!! Does the camera tell the truth!!!!
View attachment 187311 View attachment 187312 View attachment 187311 View attachment 187312
Yep last time we crossed from Plymouth to Santander on the Pont Aven we had a Commodore Cabin with a private balcony both ways. Heading south through the Bay there was a Storm Force 8 gale blowing, but the ship took it all in its stride, and so did we! Good advice to stay mostly in your cabin if it's rough.

On the return, it was flat as a millpond and we thought we were on a Caribbean cruise. :)

I think there are only 18 cabins with their own balconies, and only on the Pont Aven (non of the other BFs) - expensive, but very popular. We thought it was worth the extra cost and have managed to get a repeat booking for late summer next year. :)

Sep 2, 2012
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
We went Portsmouth- Bilbao in January and back in February this year on the Baie De Seine. The crossing wasn't to bad with moderate seas but there was a lot of sea spray. I felt that we were lucky in that on both journeys we were under cover but there were an awful lot of motorhomes out in the open and obviously got a good old dose of the sea spray. I think but I am not sure that they had a guy spraying the vehicles, I assume with fresh water before they left the ship. We are off to Spain next week but this time I am driving through France.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Costa Blanca Spain
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
We use them four times a year and it would pay for us.

If i remember its about £100 to join plus the yearly fee. After that it is just the yearly fee.

Discount is only on the fare not cabins but u get £8 towards breakfast.

The discount is 15% if i remember correct.

Some members on here will send u a code on the friends and family discount scheme and then u get 10%

I hope i got all ghe numbers correct but if not some one will advise.

If only one round trip it might be better for you to ask someone to share a discount code for the ferry service u want

First year is £240 (£305 if you have an Associate)

Can be Saved on first booking if you are traveling high season or large Vehicle.

From BF Site.

Our Spain membership offers savings of up to 30% on sailings to Spain from Portsmouth and Plymouth and 15% on our western Channel routes.

Membership fees

• Registration fee £100 (payable on application)
  • Annual membership fee £120
  • Associate's annual supplement £65 (second membership card)

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We could afford a comodore cabin if we really wanted but I take my tablet with tv programs on and a kettle with cups and sachets of coffee plus my own pillow,sleep like a log in an outside cabin for 4 just like a hotel room without the tea making facilities,that's why I take my own ... with a French adapter plug..
I've also used a funsters code and helped them out by giving them £10 off their membership fees... I'm so kind... Cost more than the @£188 quoted though!!!!

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Bugger. I've driven from UK to here 5 times. Wish I'd used that ferry than trog all way up to Calais :(

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Costa Blanca Spain
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
We could afford a comodore cabin if we really wanted but I take my tablet with tv programs on and a kettle with cups and sachets of coffee plus my own pillow,sleep like a log in an outside cabin for 4 just like a hotel room without the tea making facilities,that's why I take my own ... with a French adapter plug..
I've also used a funsters code and helped them out by giving them £10 off their membership fees... I'm so kind... Cost more than the @£188 quoted though!!!!

The Economie Premier cabins range from £169 to £269, season dependent.

They are comfy though.

Just need two singles this time.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
The Economie Premier cabins range from £169 to £269, season dependent.

They are comfy though.

Just need two singles this time.
Yes I looked. I paid £105 for an outside cabin.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
I'm looking at maybe booking a ferry to Spain for October and was wondering if it's worth joing Brittany Ferries club for discounts. Have you done it? Is it worth it? I'm working on costings re drive through France or the 'fast route'
My wise words......make sure your MH doesn't end up being parked on the open stern of the boat, for a 24 hour salty sea bath :sick: So get at the front or the back of the queue.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
We cannot afford a Commodore cabin but can afford the £8 or so extra to get the 4 berth Club cabin which has a TV and tea making facilities already there.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
You may find this helpful in arriving at your decision.
Route recommendations

Firstly, routes and route maps for France and Spain. This first link is for an award winning database about France. It’s big and with a host of information on best routes to many locations. I have selected the famous N10 route from Calais to Irun which is used by many motorhomes when travelling to Spain. It’s almost Toll free (more on that a little later) and almost all duel carriageway from start to finish with the exception of about 100 K. The whole route is great for motorhomes small, medium and large.

https://about-france.com/tourism/no-tolls-routes.htm

Tolls: We avoid the toll road from Calais to Abbeville and save 12.50 Euros. The non-toll route is quite scenic and fairly straight forward, between Boulogne-sur-Mer and Abbeville.

At Abbeville, join the A28 and cross the river Sein at Rouen. We take the second exit immediately after crossing the bridge (about 50 m past the first exit at the end of the bridge), swing down and under the bridge you have just crossed and continue on this road and join the A13 motorway until the N154 which takes you down to Evreux (Note: there are a number of different options for getting through Rouen and no doubt other members will have their own preferences. We find this very straight forward on both outward and return legs).

Approaching Tours on the D910, join the A10 toll road at Jct. 19 and exit at Jct. 23. This will take you through the city via the toll road. (about 2.50 euros). At Jct. 23 take the exit lane for Montbazon which returns you to the D910. (Reverse for the return leg). That’s the last toll to pay until you hit the bottom of the A63.

A63 south of Bordeaux please read the route recommendations in the above link. Do not come off the A63 near the bottom as all roads will be heavily congested and it’s worth paying the last few tolls. (Fuel costs approx. €126.72. (Based on 1056 K @10K per Ltr. @€1.20 per ltr.)).

This route is also recommended during winter, due to its proximity to the Atlantic sea which means little to no problems with ice and or snow, unlike using the A75 to cross the Massif Central. Although the roads are quickly cleared, it is advisable to have winter tyres fitted and there may be some small delays due to snow ploughs clearing the roads.

If heading to the Mediterranean side of Spain, it’s worth taking the N121-A to Pamplona after crossing the Spanish boarder at Irun. It’s clearly sign posted (Large white sign) about 300 m after passing through the last tollbooth and crossing the river.

You will find more details in this link for the N121-A and how to navigate Spain toll free.

https://about-spain.net/travel/no-tolls.htm

As for stop overs along this route, should you choose to use it in the future, you can’t go wrong using the App below which is free but I would recommend getting the paid version for about £6.00 which you can then use off line. You will find numerous places to stop along the above route and I have deliberately not made any recommendations so drivers can make their own choices. This app is also brilliant for finding other places too and highly rated by many users.

https://www.campercontact.com/en/content/app

There is another popular app/website that is used which you may also find useful if you’re doing a lot of wilding and looking for free overnight stops. It too is used by many motor homers in Europe.

https://www.park4night.com/

Finally, probably the best off line maps App and used by many. It also includes a sat-nav function which is quite good and can also be used off line. Again many motor homers use this, especially in Morocco.

Broken Link Removed

OP
OP
1wheelonmywagon

1wheelonmywagon

Free Member
Sep 21, 2017
The beautiful West Highlands of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki
Exp
10 years
Excellent, Thank you :D

I have the park4night app, used it a lot here in UK

You may find this helpful in arriving at your decision.
Route recommendations

Firstly, routes and route maps for France and Spain. This first link is for an award winning database about France. It’s big and with a host of information on best routes to many locations. I have selected the famous N10 route from Calais to Irun which is used by many motorhomes when travelling to Spain. It’s almost Toll free (more on that a little later) and almost all duel carriageway from start to finish with the exception of about 100 K. The whole route is great for motorhomes small, medium and large.

https://about-france.com/tourism/no-tolls-routes.htm

Tolls: We avoid the toll road from Calais to Abbeville and save 12.50 Euros. The non-toll route is quite scenic and fairly straight forward, between Boulogne-sur-Mer and Abbeville.

At Abbeville, join the A28 and cross the river Sein at Rouen. We take the second exit immediately after crossing the bridge (about 50 m past the first exit at the end of the bridge), swing down and under the bridge you have just crossed and continue on this road and join the A13 motorway until the N154 which takes you down to Evreux (Note: there are a number of different options for getting through Rouen and no doubt other members will have their own preferences. We find this very straight forward on both outward and return legs).

Approaching Tours on the D910, join the A10 toll road at Jct. 19 and exit at Jct. 23. This will take you through the city via the toll road. (about 2.50 euros). At Jct. 23 take the exit lane for Montbazon which returns you to the D910. (Reverse for the return leg). That’s the last toll to pay until you hit the bottom of the A63.

A63 south of Bordeaux please read the route recommendations in the above link. Do not come off the A63 near the bottom as all roads will be heavily congested and it’s worth paying the last few tolls. (Fuel costs approx. €126.72. (Based on 1056 K @10K per Ltr. @€1.20 per ltr.)).

This route is also recommended during winter, due to its proximity to the Atlantic sea which means little to no problems with ice and or snow, unlike using the A75 to cross the Massif Central. Although the roads are quickly cleared, it is advisable to have winter tyres fitted and there may be some small delays due to snow ploughs clearing the roads.

If heading to the Mediterranean side of Spain, it’s worth taking the N121-A to Pamplona after crossing the Spanish boarder at Irun. It’s clearly sign posted (Large white sign) about 300 m after passing through the last tollbooth and crossing the river.

You will find more details in this link for the N121-A and how to navigate Spain toll free.

https://about-spain.net/travel/no-tolls.htm

As for stop overs along this route, should you choose to use it in the future, you can’t go wrong using the App below which is free but I would recommend getting the paid version for about £6.00 which you can then use off line. You will find numerous places to stop along the above route and I have deliberately not made any recommendations so drivers can make their own choices. This app is also brilliant for finding other places too and highly rated by many users.

https://www.campercontact.com/en/content/app

There is another popular app/website that is used which you may also find useful if you’re doing a lot of wilding and looking for free overnight stops. It too is used by many motor homers in Europe.

https://www.park4night.com/

Finally, probably the best off line maps App and used by many. It also includes a sat-nav function which is quite good and can also be used off line. Again many motor homers use this, especially in Morocco.

Broken Link Removed

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
We've done both the drive (West coast of France via Plymouth and either St Malo or Roscoff then straight across Spain) and Plymouth to Santander on the ferry, using the Aire near to the Santander zoo if need be. Been lucky with the sea crossing as we've never had a bad crossing, but friends have. For me it depends upon time available and what you want to do en route, plus time of year (campsites closing but Aires free, vs seemingly high ferry costs). We are BFCV members and even in year one we cleared the outlay, plus if others use your member number you get £10 a time which is redeemable against future bookings. If you are going to take your time on the journey, do the drive, if not, take the ferry but do consider Club Voyage. Having said that, we blow most of the savings on upgrading the cabin! Gary

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Decision made, France it is. I almost booked the Pont Aven to Santander but in the space of finding a price, walking to my handbag to get my bank card & sitting down to book the price shot up by £100!!
Hate dynamic pricing!!
Thanks everyone, you're a great bunch
:ta:
I have never had that happen on Brittany,,,I booked yesterday and it was the same price as two weeks ago and a month ago,,,BUSBY,,

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
I have never had that happen on Brittany,,,I booked yesterday and it was the same price as two weeks ago and a month ago,,,BUSBY,,

I have definitely had it happen to me on more than one occasion. If I recall correctly BF announced a couple of years ago that they would start to use 'dynamic pricing'.

Just checked the price of a crossing on which I already have a reservation and sure enough the base price has increased by 20%.

Last edited:

Deleted User
I think it depends on how near you are to the sailing, the prices definitely do increase the nearer you are to the crossing but stay stable for several months, I have no idea when this process starts.

I have booked 2 crossings for April and May next year on different routes as soon as the new schedule came out and they are still the same now. I also had to book an identical crossing at relatively short notice on 31st Aug for 1st Oct and the price was around £120 dearer than the crossing next April, I was lucky to get that as all the other crossings to Spain where fully booked and so was this one a few days later.

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
@matamoras That is interesting. I have three reservations for next year in April, June and August and today's price (excluding accommodation cost) compared to when I booked have changed by +20%, +12% and +0% respectively. Appears to me that pricing is very fluid and one should definitely book as early as possible.

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
I was looking to book for 10th October so if more people were also looking around those dates then dynamic pricing would latch on & up goes the price :(

Maybe the ferries immediately before or after were fully booked for high vehicles also pushing the price up?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back