New to us MH, first skiing trip - advice please! (1 Viewer)

Dec 28, 2016
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson 627GA
Exp
Hi,

Picking up a 2014 Chausson best of 510 beginning of March and rekindling a love of skiing 3 weeks later to Livigno!

Although no double floor, I believe Chausson's are fairly well insulated & have erberspacher heating.

So far, this is the to do list:

Set of 'snowflake' marked Falken winter tyres ordered.

Snow chains - new set purchased.

XXL Fiamma full length insulated screen/bonnet cover - watching out for best price atm.

Aguri motorhome satnav to get us there!

Alarm & gaslow system to be fitted 13/0317 - I've read about the propane/butane issue with LPG but as erberspacher heating gas only used for cooking so 11KG so should be more than sufficient? Won't be doing much cooking tbh & probably won't fill the water system in resort as using onsite showers etc.

Campsite (camping Pemont) has us booked in for a 10AMP hookup - MH has a 120W solar panel fitted.

Fiamma levelling ramps ordered and looking out for a plastic crate to avoid using electric step.

Intend to leave heating on low 24/7 - do I need to consider thermal screens to rooflights?

As you can see have picked up a few pointers from previous threads but would welcome observations/tips!

Thanks,

Rob

Apr 23, 2010
Isle Of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 years
Hi Rob congrats on your, new to you Moho,and we hope you have a fabulous trip,my only concern is that you my be under estimating the amount of gas you will use.
Point taken that your on EHU but even in March night temps will still fall well below -0.
If your Gaslow fitting is for 2x bottles then your covered.(y)

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
I have no knowledge of erbpascher or whatever it is. (well i certainly cant spell it) My presumption is you dont need gas and can run it off the electric?
If not, get another tank and make sure they are both full !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
R
Dec 28, 2016
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson 627GA
Exp
sorry if I didn't make it clear - diesel heating system fed from fuel tank fitted so no gas for heating at all!

Only have room for 1 11KG bottle.

Intend to fill up with 'mountain' diesel to avoid any fuel freezing but hopefully won't be THAT cold lol!

Apr 23, 2010
Isle Of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 years
Yes have to agree diesel heating and a gas bottle as back-up or vice-versa,enjoy.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I hope you have a great time we have a flash 10 (very similar but on a ford) but would worry about lack of space and getting stuff dry!!. I would ensure the vent above the grille is covered and insulated it goes straight into the m/h ( I have fitted a piece of kingspan insulation behind the grille but of course don't use it with it in place)

OP
OP
R
Dec 28, 2016
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson 627GA
Exp
Thanks, gonna put a rail up in shower to dry jackets etc as heating vent in bathoom.

Forgot mention have already bought thetford fridge winter vent covers - even ordered an extra to cut down & fill the grill vent - need to insulate though now you mention it!

I sound super organised but really have just read LOTS of posts!

Feb 18, 2009
Guisborough North Yorkshi
Funster No
MH
Malibu T410
Exp
Since August 2008
Hi Rob - enjoy your first trip skiing from the van -

You could take an oil filled radiator - the 10amp supply will run this - advantages are saving on diesel - back up if you have a problem with your diesel heater - and you can leave on overnight instead of hot blown air running all night - you can use diesel heater to warm things up first thing and when you get back from the slopes
A large plastic caravan step is useful if you have space
Old second hand ramps or timber can be useful - we have had to leave ours once when they melted froze in continually -

OP
OP
R
Dec 28, 2016
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson 627GA
Exp
Good point rear back up heater - will add to the list!

Won't spend a lot on ramps then in case I have to leave 'em.

Keep the tips coming! ;)

Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
Accept you will learn on the job so to,speak. I'm still learning after 4 seasons.
Small oil heaters are a great idea.
Main thing is you will LOVE it. It is so different from usual hectic chalet holiday. The peace and darkness of the sites and being able to eat and drink what and when you want make the break so much more relaxing.

OP
OP
R
Dec 28, 2016
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson 627GA
Exp
Sounds good- can't wait!

Just a small matter of picking the van up in a couple of weeks & learning how it all works before the ferry on the 24th March!

Thanks

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
No matter what you will survive the trip, I have old Hymer, just gas heating -10 in Jan Ski trip, but enjoyed the daily challenges motorhome brings.

Apr 5, 2016
Notts
Funster No
MH
Frankia
Exp
Since 2016
We have driven to Livigno every yer for the last 7 years, and been going there for over 20 years as we go in January too. My advise would be to travel on any other day than Saturday! This year we travelled in and out of Livigno on a Friday and it was super swift.... Saturday queues at both the train and the tunnel can be quite long....we have waited 2hrs before now for the train and then had to queue for the tunnel afterwards.

OP
OP
R
Dec 28, 2016
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson 627GA
Exp
Thanks B-well & Henry.

Getting into Livigno Sunday early afternoon & leaving after skiing the following Friday-from what you say we should be ok! Any tips for Livigno or getting there?

Picking up MH tomorrow & already have a pile of gear in the garage-tyres, screens, chains etc etc!

Cheers

Apr 5, 2016
Notts
Funster No
MH
Frankia
Exp
Since 2016
Have a fantastic time! Restaurant Bellavista is great (pizzas very good as are their fillet and t-bones steaks), Marco's bar is nice. We always stay in the San Rocco area. Use the free buses that operate all day and are free ... bon voyage!

Edited to say that if you ski on the Mottolino side, and can ski down the Trepalle run (which gets the sun in the morning) then Restaurant Trela is nice for lunch - its over the road at the bottom of the Trepalle lift and is quieter than the mountain restaurants. Georgio Rocca black run is great :)

OP
OP
R
Dec 28, 2016
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson 627GA
Exp
Thanks everyone for your advice.

Given that daytime temps hit 20 degs C, all the gear such as chains, full length screens etc weren't required though good to be prepared!

Good job Livigno is a high resort with lots of snow cannons as skiing was good for our intermediate level.

Great time had & would recommend taking the van!

M50

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2017
Derby
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2010
reading this with interest as trip to Austria palnned over Christmas this year
forgive my stupidity but whats with the palstic step?? is it common for the regualar electric steps to freeze up ?

OP
OP
R
Dec 28, 2016
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson 627GA
Exp
Hi,

A crate or plastic step with holes in means you can stamp your feet gently to remove snow - of course a solid step would not allow this & yes electric steps can freeze!

Rob

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Check the altitude you can use your diesel heating. If you're going higher there is a part you can add for higher altitudes.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
And the lock on my security handle that goes across the door froze at minus 15. Luckily i could still get in the van but couldn't drive because it stuck out lol

OP
OP
R
Dec 28, 2016
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson 627GA
Exp
Livigno at 1820M & eberspacher heating fine though did fill up with mountain diesel.

Casals98

Free Member
Feb 9, 2018
Funster No
Hi. We also have a chausson (flash S3) and have skied twice before. A few notes. The erbspecher heating is great, but our model will not work well much about 1000m - you have to have a different ? pump (+£3-400). The heating will not function at all if you have less than a third of a tank of fuel - always fuel up before stopping or be very cold. Know where the vent for the heating is and don't block it or it will stop (we had it in for repair because we didn't know this or even that there was a vent!) We always take an oil filled radiator if we have hook up -great for drying gloves and socks. We have an extra carpet down in winter and the insulation is well worth it. Overall we are very cosy - the French like to ski and build vans for this. If you have an over cab bed then leave the mattress to air during the day (prop it up somehow) otherwise the condensation under it will rot the mattress. We always open the van door and windows for 10 min when we return everyday and this helps keep the van fresh. Have fun.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back