Love or Hate them how do you cook them (FB pies) (1 Viewer)

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
The aunt Bessies roasties and frozen peas were nice though.
Phil

Frozen peas, yuck! Virtually inedible:

IMG_0845.JPG

You must ask your wife to demonstrate the advanced culinary arts of pea cookery. I use the Heston Blumenthal method, which is to dunk them in boiling water for a few minutes, drain and serve. So much nicer when soft and warm.

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Frozen peas, yuck! Virtually inedible:

View attachment 175796

You must ask your wife to demonstrate the advanced culinary arts of pea cookery. I use the Heston Blumenthal method, which is to dunk them in boiling water for a few minutes, drain and serve. So much nicer when soft and warm.
Its no good complaining to the wife. I do most of the cooking.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
The FB pies are now made in Scotland but the old Fray Bentos processing plant in South America is a world heritage site, fancy a pilgrimage @JJ

http://www.worldheritagesite.org/list/id/1464

All this FB pie talk has got to me and off to buy a FB pie this afternoon and take a trip down memory lane. Either a trip to heaven or a good memory shattered.
Maybe a report on the new review section of the forum ?

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Well bought the pies this afternoon and did not notice anybody looking over or giving me odd sideways looks while I was at the till so I think I got away with it.
Maybe perception as a kid but I remember FB tinned pies being the size of a dinner plate but now they are, well for me a single portion, about the size of a side plate.
My missus has never tried one before so she will have a go with the chicken pie and give her opinion and believe me she can give some very honest opinions.

pies.jpg

I had forgotten that we used to have the FB snake and pygmy steamed puds once a week, the ones with the off brown suet covering when I was a kid.
The updated microwave version was on the shelf next to the pies so I thought I would give one of them a try as well.

meaty-pud.jpg

Doctor Dave

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years followed by a break of 11 years and then 4+ years but given up now
I'm not sure if it works with FB pies, but I have a friend who insists that a pie experience is better if you turn it upside down on your plate and enter through the soggy bottom ! Only works with proper fully pastry encased jobbies though.

The FB pies that we get do not have pastry in the bottom, only on top.

Now the BEST way to cook a FB pie is to put it in the oven (in the tin that has had the lid completely removed of course) at the recommended temperature. When the pastry on the top LOOKS to be cooked carefully remove it with a fish slice or similar tool. Place the pastry on a baking sheet top downwards and continue to cook for another 10 or fifteen minutes until properly cooked.

Serve and enjoy.

Dave

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
Well bought the pies this afternoon and did not notice anybody looking over or giving me odd sideways looks while I was at the till so I think I got away with it.
Maybe perception as a kid but I remember FB tinned pies being the size of a dinner plate but now they are, well for me a single portion, about the size of a side plate.
My missus has never tried one before so she will have a go with the chicken pie and give her opinion and believe me she can give some very honest opinions.

View attachment 175859

I had forgotten that we used to have the FB snake and pygmy steamed puds once a week, the ones with the off brown suet covering when I was a kid.
The updated microwave version was on the shelf next to the pies so I thought I would give one of them a try as well.

View attachment 175860

I love FB pies - not the chicken one though - be interesting to hear your opinions!! ;)

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
I used to love FB pies - until the last one - I had seen a real falling in standard and volume of meat and gravy - the last one had just a thick gravy and NO meat so have now crossed them off the emergency grub list.

Reactions: f6c
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
FB pies, reminds me of caravanning holidays as a child. The first thing we 'cooked' in the escape was a FB steak and kidney pie with Heinz beans, (other varieties are available) It was a meal to be remembered, and talked about for a long time, never again.

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
Just wait till Brexit kicks in properly, FB pies will be haute cuisine compared to some of the sh*t you'll be seeing in supermarkets. Eg, there'll be special "Chlorinated American Chicken" aisles.
Sorry, off thread, goodnight.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I've not tasted the delights of a FB pie in probably 50 years and I know I'm in a minority but I do have childhood memories of the being a rather tasty treat along with the Vesta chicken curry, Bird's Angel Delight and Arctic Roll.

Don't forget Camp Coffee,,,BUSBY.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Tr
I've not tasted the delights of a FB pie in probably 50 years and I know I'm in a minority but I do have childhood memories of the being a rather tasty treat along with the Vesta chicken curry, Bird's Angel Delight and Arctic Roll.
Tried a Vesta curry last year,,,so disappointed,,thought they were delicious 40 years ago,,same with camp coffee,,,tastes awful now,,BUSBY..

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp

View attachment 175859

View attachment 175860
Nearly give them away in B&M Bargains,,,,such bargains,,

Incamania

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Preston
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2002
A great o/night standby when on a journey, always have them in the store locker. Like everything else in life there is a learning curve! Used them for years, goodo yummie with tinned mushy peas, the B brand of course. The gas oven is a must, tried the hobnskillet but not so good
Enjoy, a no fuss quick meal for two for less than £1.50 including gas can’t be bad.

Reactions: DBK
Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
FB Pies are a bit like having a game of find the meat.
The pastry is like trying to chew your way through a Salvation Army Blanket.
And the Gravy is as palatable as 200,000 mile Sump Oil

And the bloody tin is useless as a bloody Frizbee!

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
The best way to avoid a soggy pie bottom is to pre-heat a flat baking tray in the oven and only put the pie in when the oven has reached the required temperature. The hot baking tray quickly transfers the heat to the pie making sure that the pastry on the bottom of the pie gets cooked properly.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp

Mmmmm delicious. Salvation Army blanket well soaked in 200,000 mile sump oil.:Eeek:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging

You are being far too kind to them your description makes them sound quite edible.:D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back