Free Member
Jul 13, 2017
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm a newbie
We are buying a van with a rear seating area and we would like to know the best way of keeping our dogs there while we are travelling, also I recently saw a cover which attaches to the back of the two cab seats but can't find it again. We have no anchorage points in the seating area. Has anybody got any ideas that will help? Should add I am new to the club so am maybe posting in the wrong place!

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
you buy dog harness,s from your vets etc . either fasten them to seat belts or make some straps to fit .
in many countries dogs have to be strapped in .

Reactions: DBK

Dogeared

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 16, 2013
Blackburn
Funster No
MH
Eldiss autoquest 155
Exp
Since 2011
You need to find out first how comfortable your dogs are travelling in the van. Ours had travelled all over uk and France in the car without a problem. The rattles of the van completely threw her. It's worth while looking through previous conversations to give you an idea how different people have resolved the problem. If you felt you wanted to put a securing point between the seats on the floor, as we did in a previous van, Mike Parkinson towbars just outside Preston is your man

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
We had an eye bolt installed near the cab area so we can fix our dog's harness to it. That way she's close to us without being able to interfere with the driver/passenger.

Reactions: DBK

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Kerry jumps straight into her bed positioned behind driver's seat... Her harness is clipped to a tie-down attached to rear passenger seat frame... and lies down until I arrive.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Ours like to sit in the front seat :) When I've had a few beers, I let him drive sometimes :)

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
Ours travel in a cage at al times .

So does our dog. We think it's much safer in the event of an accident and it stops her running around and possibly impeding my driving. It's helped by the fact that she absolutely loves being in it. In fact when we put it up, she tries to force her way past us to get in even before we have finished erecting it!

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Mine lay on the rear bunk. They have their harnesses on and are clipped to a running line. This way they can move up and down the bed to change sides, but cannot get off. Once in the MH they just lay down and don't move.

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
IMG_0144.JPG

Our puppy started out in her car seat which slides over the head rest and has an anchor point inside for her harness.

IMG_0152.JPG
We then ditched that mid trip and used an attachment fitted into the seat belt which again fixed to her harness. She had more space to stretch out then and luckily loves travelling in the moho.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
In his cage - he howls if we try to move the van if he's not! He was caged when travelling almost from birth so it's the norm for him.
Fortunately with our layout he's right next to us and lies there quite happily for hours - lasts longer than me!

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We just have the one dog now and he travels either between the front seats or in the passenger footwell in his bed.
We have harnesses, but don't use them now.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Ours travel in harnesses attached to the two front seat belt clips with loops.

BrendaF

Free Member
Jun 29, 2017
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
Ford Amethyst 1996
Exp
Ours have Orvis safety harnesses and are clipped to the belts in the back (with the seat made down to a bed). They weren't keen to start with but now just expect to be harnessed and belted. They usually fall asleep!! :sleep::sleep:

OP
OP
Arleyboy

Arleyboy

Free Member
Jul 13, 2017
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks for all your suggestions, our dogs are small and you can't get Orvis harnesses for them, however there are others available so I think I will get ringbolts installed in the rear locker and tether them to these, with the bed pulled out to give them a bit of room to move, possibly even put there own beds out as they are used to travelling in these in the car. Thanks again

Dare_Devil_Dennis

Free Member
Apr 22, 2017
Derby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
2 dogs. We use RSPCA approved harnesses and Mudder harness straps. The Mudder straps connect to a standard seat belt point and have an elasticated section in the middle section of the strap to take the shock in case of sudden arresting of the poor dog. They are adjustable for length.
We found that the two passenger seat belt points were too close to each other for the dogs and they tended to tangle each other as they moved about. I went to my local car breaker and extracted a rear seat belt point (the one with the release button) and the mounting bolt. £2.00. Drilled a hole and mounted this point near opposite seat. They can both move about,each reach their water bowl but not get tangled. There is no "other half" of the additional seat belt anchor, so it cannot be mistakenly used for a passenger. (it would never restrain a child or adult and would not be legal, but is fine for the dog).
The Mudder strap is really cool and easy to use.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back