LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
Jour 82 mercredi le 19 juillet

Hello from Mios

Using the park4night app I am tonight staying at the église et cimetière at the promising little town of Mios.

After posting my entry yesterday I decided I need not have the foil on the windscreen and removed it. I cannot say precisely why but I did which was fortuitous because shortly after the wind started to blow up, quite strong gusts so I battened down the hatches and in a short time Helen was being lashed by large water droplets and there was thunder and lightening. I had been listening to radio 4 on my phone but this became difficult with the external noise level.

Earlier I had let Sarah, Dennis, Alison and Lawrence know about my day and Lawrence had shared his ride with Alison on Strava – I need to sign in and look at it. He and Alison invited me to join them on a ride to the Dune du Pyla this morning which I accepted. I think I was about 20 minutes away from them though I had to be with them by 0800. No problem.

This morning dawned with broken cloud and occasional drops of rain but by the time I reached Alison and Lawrence at their hotel it had cleared up and in a short time we were off on our bikes.

Lawrence had done his research and purchased the local IGN map so we were well prepared. We set off from near the tennis club and followed the dedicated cycle path all the way.

First picture is of Helen parked at the tennis Club

image.jpeg

The temperature was much lower than yesterday and cycling between the pines very pleasant. Alison was making an excellent pace on her electric bike and Lawrence suggested that the next opening with a way to the beach would be a good place to stop for a look. A picture of them and the beginnings of the lagoon next.

image.jpeg

Fantastic, I think the only camera I will need soon will be my phone!

image.jpeg

When I visited the dune last year it was very bright sunshine.

Reaching the entrance nearest the fibreglass staircase and gift shops we secured the bikes and made our way to the top. I was quite surprised at how much the profile had changed in a little under a year though of course such a fantastic experience. Next picture is one of my rubbish selfies where you can see the three of us and perhaps a hint of location.

image.jpeg

Now a view across the dune southwards, such a thing of beauty and slowly engulfing the forest edge.

image.jpeg

Next a photo of the lagoon entrances from the dune, I will return here next year (I have already decided that I will repeat my trip next year – different routing of course).

image.jpeg

Following an amusing descent, made the more interesting by the equivalent of St Trinians school girls running down the dune vertically. They were having a ball (the teachers probably kittens) and were amazingly fast. All this activity meant refuelling and we stopped at an outlet and recharged our batteries with 2 rum and raisin jobs and one coffee. That was one each not me eating them all (though I might have liked to).

After brushing the sand from our feet we made our way back to the bikes and started the ride back. After about 7 or 8 kilomètres Lawrence called a halt and asked if we felt like lunch – he did and there was a restaurant within reach next to the beach, La Lagune. We went of to investigate and found a really good restaurant serving excellent meals – we had been expecting more of a chips and rolls outfit not haute cuisine. I am happy to recommend it on behalf of all three of us. Amusingly our waiter was from Bristol! Sadly I did not think to take a photograph.

Following lunch we made our way back to Helen and the hotel, a picture of the cycle path below.

image.jpeg

It was a little after two, the sun was shining and the heat was on its way up. Sadly for Alison and Lawrence they only have a few more days here before making their way back to the UK and work happily I have a little over 2 months to go yet.
We said our farewells and I made my way to Aldi at Parentis-en-Born where I wanted to buy a fuel can in their weekly specials. I have bought same and it will replace the one bought for Leclerc for the generator. While sat in the car park I researched somewhere to stay tonight. I found this location in park4night which is ok but the tv is rubbish so I have been unable to watch the closing stages of the TDF which had been my plan. Picture below.

image.jpeg

Tomorrow I will make my way to either Guitres or Saint Antaine Cummond depending traffic etc.

More news tomorrow, à bientôt

Clive

Total distance cycled today 42.9 km (Garmin 1000) pace = leisurely.

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
Jour 83 jeudi le 20 juillet

Hello from Mios

Yes, I am still here. After preparing to leave this morning I took my rubbish across to a nearby dumpster and on the way there noticed an old railway bridge over a stream. It had nice level embankments each side and I decided that as I was not in a rush I would go for a ride along it.

I got the Cannondale off the rack crawled into my Lycra and secured Helen. I decided to visit the Office de Tourisme which was just behind the église and Mairie. The staff were helpful and gave me a map showing nearby vélo routes. All of these were in the opposite direction to that which I took.

I cycled from the office and turned left toward the disused station building at Mios. This meant crossing the relatively busy D216 which I had come up on yesterday. Then passing the bus stop I halted at la gare and took a photo.

image.jpeg

After this brief pause I continued along the well maintained and metalled cycle way. This was in excellent condition with odd patches of pine needles and moss but showed evidence of recent renewal and a positive attitude to maintenance. Well done France!

One of the signs (which I failed to photograph) stated that the cycle way ran from Mios to Brazas. I had no idea where Brazas was but I thought I would cycle toward it anyway. After a few kilomètres I arrived by the station at Salles and took another picture. The approach to Salles meant crossing a busy D3 which was adjacent to a large and very active saw mill. Among the products being fashioned were railway sleepers, interesting to see them before they had been treated.

image.jpeg

Leaving Salles I crossed a sign posted junction which said that Brazas was either 68 or 48 kilomètres on. As you can imagine Brazas ceased to be a destination but I decided I would ride to the next “station” and a little while later found a sign saying that Belin-Béliet was about 18 kilomètres and continued towards there.

Shortly before crossing beneath the A63/E5/E70 I passed a picnique spot called Halte du Bournet which I took a photo of on the way back. There did not seem to be many people going in my direction, I passed a couple but no one passed me (very surprisingly). I did see a number travelling the other way and was astonished to see so many adults riding without helmets. Children, I think it is 12 and below are required by law to wear one now and I would have thought the adults would wish to set an example. Helmets make sense.

A little before Belin-Béliet I crossed a long bridge at the end of which they were setting up to do some absailing, it was a mature group which surprised me. I continued up into Belin-Béliet and passed the Super U on my left. I could not find any sign of a station, probably need to go a little further so took a picture of my turning point for the ride back.

image.jpeg

The way back was simply the reverse of my trip out so no description necessary except here are a couple of pictures of Halte du Bournet. First the sign –

image.jpeg

Next a panel describing the ride which sadly some one had attacked with a shotgun. I suspect the weapon is poorly maintained to give such a poor pattern at such short range.

image.jpeg

Remembering that there was free wifi at the Office de Tourism I returned there to update the apps on my phone only to discover the dreaded low battery message. Merde! I returned to Helen and put the phone on charge. I took lunch, most of which I chucked away and then had a lie down – not normal for me, but lay there for about an hour musing over life, the universe and the price of fish. I will be having Paëlla tonight courtesy of Lidl, yum, yum!

I am roughing this out on word again but this time doing frequent saves as I am sick to death of losing loads of typing. As I have stayed in Mios my plan now is to walk up to the Office de Tourisme and hopefully they will have left the router on and I can post this from there. I have moved to the other side of the cimetière near the salle des fêtes.

image.jpeg

I had hoped the move would allow me to watch the end of the Tour de France but there are no terrestrial channels available via my omnidirectional device. Definitely having a dish next year. I wish I had brought the portable one I bought from Aldi or Lidl’s now. The wifi at the Office de Tourisme is not exactly quick but I am into my last Gb on my Tesco phone and I don’t want to start the next feel at home sim card until August. I will get another 6Gb from midnight on 22nd when my next month starts with Tesco. Pleased to say I was able to update 9 apps but is took a while.

I will move on tomorrow probably to Guitres. I have checked the autoroute and it is sans péage until I get to Libourne but I will have left it by then for the departmental road.

I have received a couple of emails from Lawrence one of which includes a link to U tube showing the motorcycle coming towards the three of us a week ago. I will try it and if it works I will attach the link so you can see for yourself. Lawrence recommends that it is viewed in HD. He also sent a couple of pictures of the Dune which include me, I may attach those.

I will sign off here and update you tomorrow.

Clive

If it worked here is the link to the video

Now a posed picture from last week trying to look like one of those old Victorian photos but not converted to black and white or sepia.

image.jpeg

The next is Alison with me on top of the Dune yesterday.

image.jpeg

I am very pleased to say the wifi is still on so I will probably be up here tomorrow morning early. I will download some BBC stuff while I am here and then it's Paëlla time.

à bientôt

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    319.3 KB · Views: 11
OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
Jour 84 vendredi le 21 juillet

Bonjour from Maransin (33)

A relatively short report today. After filing yesterday’s report I settled down to find myself shortly surrounded by assorted 4X4 vehicles – jeudi appears to be club night for these guys and I was parked close to where they meet. No problems on either side.

Up early this morning I decided to make my way to Guitres to have a look at the Chemin de Fer Touristique. I had looked at my maps and ascertained that there were no tolls on the autoroute I planned to follow and left my overnight parking at 0800. As I made my way to the autoroute I saw a Leclerc where the gazole was cheaper than most places I had passed over the last few days and decided to fill up.

It was a very short distance to the auto route and I made good progress toward Bordeaux with short delays approaching the ring road. The autoroute was effectively trouble free and I was soon leaving it on the edge of Libourne and followed the departmental roads to la gare at Guitres.

There was nothing operating today, they operate on Wednesday and Sunday afternoons a little after 1500. During my short visit of an hour it seems I took 127 photographs with my camera and a few with the phone. Relax, I will spare you all but a few.

image.jpeg

There were no signs saying keep off on this little engine so I took the opportunity to climb into the cab. This had been stripped bare of any non ferrous materials but she was a pretty little thing and I took a photo of Helen parked opposite through the driver’s window.

image.jpeg

I wandered around taking countless photos of things that could only possibly interest me but gave me ideas for future paintings, though having not noted them I will have forgotten them altogether by the time I go to bed tonight!

A picture of their strange signals next – the English I understand but I will have to google these!

image.jpeg

I saw two men and a dog talking (not the dog) at the far end of the yard and wandered past the sign shown below to speak with them.

image.jpeg

I checked they were connected with the railway and chatted for a while asking if I could wander around the yard and take photos. This was not a problem. I asked about the steam locomotive which had recently failed requiring a diesel to substitute on services. They told me that a firebox stay had failed (wasting between it and the inner firebox wrapping) and on inspection another 71 were found in poor condition and the decision was taken to remove the engine from service then and there. I was shown the camera used for the inspection of the engine’s innards and thought how much easier it is to conduct some of these remote inspections now. One of the two men was the engineer tasked with replacing the stays and he showed me the new replacements and the locomotive with its cab removed. Sorry I did not take pictures of the failed or replacements but here is a picture of the locomotive – partial and in bits. She is not expected back in service until next year. The engine is called Meuse because she was built at Liege close by the river of that name.

image.jpeg

The replacement engine is a 1944 American build – I think Baldwin, which had been part of the American aid to France at the end of WW2. A poor picture next of the 73 year old veteran still doing the job she was designed for, long after her planned life.

image.jpeg

Inside the Depot was a beautifully restored Autorail which it was difficult to photograph because of limited space. A picture follows. I was allowed to inspect the vehicle which I had only seen in photographs before. I was made really welcome by these gentlemen who unlocked and opened the depot for me. I will travel on the train Sunday diesel or no diesel and buy souvenirs to help fund the repairs by these dedicated men.

image.jpeg

A second steam locomotive of Fives Lilles construction was present undergoing heavy repairs but delayed by funding.

Back outside I took photos of the very old rolling stock, carriages and wagons, many longing to be restored but it is as always all down to money and time. First a picture of a very old coach.

image.jpeg

Next a photo of a rather sad and dilapidated light inspection vehicle. I am sure it could be restored but it would be a labour of love for someone of far greater means than myself.

image.jpeg

Final photo is of another rather dilapidated railcar from 1934 a De Dion Bouton. A start is being made on its restoration but resources again. This vehicle has no reverse gear and is essentially a bus on railway wheels. On reaching its destination it would be moved to a clear area where a central steel support would be lowered onto the rails. It was then jacked up from within and with a man at each end turned around to face the way back – absolutely amazing.

image.jpeg

I chatted with the two men a little more before thanking them and returning to Helen for coffee.

I tried the tv to see if I would be able to watch the TDF from opposite the station to find the signal was inadequate. With time on my side I decided to drive around stopping at various locations to check the signal and quality finally ending up here at le stade municipal, Maransin. I have been here since about midday and taken lunch. The pitch does not look as if there will be any action on it for a while and I think I will stay here until the morning.

image.jpeg

Tomorrow I think I will drive over to Saint-Antoine-Cummond and visit a location I was last at around 12 years ago for a birthday party. Not sure I will find the exact location but I am free to explore and there is parking overnight available at the salle des fêtes.

à bientôt

Clive

PS tomorrow's report may not be published until Sunday morning when my new data allowance starts. Thanks in appreciation Clive

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    371.5 KB · Views: 6
Aug 14, 2013
Département 87
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since about year 2000
Hi Clive @Cleve ,

I thought the following may be of some interest to you.

We were on a rally recently and we all (60 of us) went on a "Train Touristique" from Toucy, in the Yonne. It was a "speciale" as we were the only ones on the trip.
Unfortunately, all the photos I took at the time have disappeared from my camera, but I did get a leaflet, from which I have reproduced some of the information. The first picture is of one of the two Picasso units (the other is red) and the driver sits in the elevated part towards the far end. His seating is far from luxurious, being just a simple framework
Toucy white Picasso.jpg

The following scan shows the rest of the motorised rolling stock
Toucy rolling stock.jpg

Please continue to keep us entertained with your reports.

J

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
Good morning from Marencais, Gironde (33)

Thank you J for drawing my attention to the train Touristique I will see if I can fit it in. The railcar you travelled in is the same type as that I travelled in at Arques. Thank you for thinking of me.

The following are the reports from Saturday and yesterday, that for Saturday was not filed because of conserving data and yesterday’s because when I set up here and settled down to file there was no service, something I have found to be not unusual. The surprising thing is that I have a service this morning, just one dot, perhaps it was the heavy overnight rain that did it….

Jour 85 samedi le 22 juillet

Today I set off to see if I could find a location I had visited I think twice some years ago but I had never actually driven to. I have fond memories and was curious how much it had or may have changed.

I left the overnight camping at le stade and made my way back to Guitres then on to Coutras, I seem to have a penchant for travelling on market days. Reaching Coutras I found the market and had to rethink my directions – in this case turning right as that was the only option! The benefit of this was my little railway perk of the day when waiting at the traffic lights I watched a train go by (nut case)!

The next few kilomètres were very simple and I reached La Roche Chalais where I took the opportunity to top up my LPG (GPL ici). I had used one cylinder and started the other last week on the mountain. The cost was 11€70 for about 16 litres, around £10 at today’s free fall pound rate. Not bad for over 80 days. I do not expect to refill before my return, anyway …

The roads were good and I started looking for a turning for St Privé des Prés which I found and took, shortly to wish I had not. A very pretty little place but a bit tight as were all the roads for some time. I meandered for some time trying to find some sort of clue (I had, I found out afterwards been very close more than once) before making my way, not easily, to Saint-Antoine-Cummond to take stock and launch another assault. On my way there I explored la Côte, another interesting tiny location where the expression on the faces of a couple of residents said it all – I gave them a Gallic shrug!

Pouring over the map I decided on a plan and followed it this time with success though the course was littered with reduced clearance as the electricity main (buried in the road) was being replaced. Recognising the target I was amazed at the huge number of cars parked in one of the fields. Having found the target I parked and took a couple of pictures, one of a well and Helen below.

image.jpeg

As the whole place consisted of about 6 houses and the well I thought I ought to go up to the group and explain what I was doing. As I walked up to the group a man walked towards me. We chatted for a short time. My old friends (lost contact years ago) were still there but not at the moment and he told me of all the other changes that had taken place. The large number of cars were because of a family celebration and the group were around the pond fishing for plastic ducks (a bit like that old fairground entertainment) they were clearly having great fun judging by the laughter and screams!

Mission accomplished I made my way back to Saint-Antoine-Cummond to route back via Aubterre, there was no way I was returning the way I had come!

A second pleasant night was spent at le stade.

Jour 86 dimanche le 23 juillet

Following a fairly lazy start this morning I made my way to Guitres – my train was not until 1530 so I had oodles of time and thought I would take a stroll around the town. On the tourist info site I had read of the old and imposing Abbey plus a well, related to Henri IV. Driving from the stade I elected to follow the road to St Denis-de-Pile as I had loads of time. Approaching the town I had to cross the river by a lovely suspension bridge, immediately I thought I have to find somewhere to park and take pictures of this. Sadly that was not possible, yes it was market day and I could not find anywhere within a reasonable walking distance so continued back up to Guitres and parked opposite the station.

As luck would have it there was some activity at the station, people collecting litter, weeding the plants and preparing for the day ahead. I wandered over and was able to watch them positioning the diesel locomotive (General Electric not Baldwin – sorry) and train in Quai 1. The building was open so I popped in and looked at the musée. The exhibits were a little hap hazard which I liked, a much warmer set up than the clinically clean regimented things we have to endure so often these days.

Noises outside drew my attention to a Draisine (picture below) returning to the station. The Draisine and crew had been along the line checking for branches etc which could prove a hazard. Very reassuring.

image.jpeg

Time to walk up to the town. I took a steady plod up the hill towards the abbey. On my right I passed a Château (Château St Roch), this was looking a bit the worse for wear and though the sign proclaimed Salles for baptêmes, marriages etc they must have dried up some time ago. In amongst the clutter visible from the road was one of those ‘dotty trains’.

A break in the shrubbery provided the opportunity to take pictures of the bridge and a carrelet for fishing in the Lisle.

image.jpeg

There is a abundance of trees in the parking area facing the abbey so it was impossible for me to get a full frontal shot so here is the the main entrance. There was to be a free concert at 1700 which I would have attended had I not been on the train.

image.jpeg

The rounded end of the abbey – I suspect the apse was interesting so here is a muddled shot of that.

image.jpeg

Wandering along the narrow street I espied Henri’s well in the square ahead and made my way to it. I peered over the low wall expecting to see a shaft, perhaps a grating and some water. No shaft, grating or water just the same material as I was standing on. I moved around it to find that it had been moved here from the Château de Bellisle à Guitres in the late eighties so for me a little bit of a disappointment.

image.jpeg

I wandered round to a hole in the wall and then made my way back to Helen for lunch. Following lunch – leisurely I made my way back to the station bought my ticket and a selection of souvenirs then took my place on the train.

The train slowly filled and soon we were off. The ride was less interesting than it could have been as the embankments and cuttings showed no evidence of maintenance for a considerable period and explained the recommendation by the train crew to keep all parts inside the carriage during the journey. There were occasional views of interest though so fleeting it was not possible to take a photo. The curves of the line were were mild so not possible to get a real view of the engine and the odd over bridge and crossing were impossible. Never mind, I enjoyed the ride and look forward to repeating it next year with the steam locomotive back in service.

image.jpeg

It was good fun just people watching and seeing the excitement of the younger children – must be getting old!

Back at Guitres I returned to Helen and made my way to Marcenais for my night stop. I had selected this from park4night but on reaching the Aire I found an all the Aires inspected (2016) sticker on the sign so looked it up in my book, All the Aires South and there it was page 52 number 196. This location is excellent and I will not hesitate to use it again. The only facilities are the public toilets and the waste bins. There is nowhere to dump liquids.

image.jpeg

I watched the end of the Tour de France and was pleased to see Froome on the podium. I think I went to bed about 10pm and apart from being woken by the rain and closing the hatches I slept through until about 07.30, amazing.

On then to jour 87, aujourd’hui

No hard and fast plans for today. I did need to visit a dump site but that was the only priority so it was a leisurely start. I looked at the information panel and it said that there was the required facility at St Savin. I checked the book page 54, number 207 and bonus free wifi. I decided that having done day 85 I would save day 86 until I was at St Savin and take advantage of the wifi. A short and pleasant drive found me entering St Savin adjacent to the Intermarché Super, Bon, I thought and followed the road to the “free parking” which I found without difficulty, however, I did not find the born. Must read entry in book twice! The service point is at the Tourist Office NOT at the parking – which I did not like the look of anyway so I made my way to the Tourist office and took advantage of this very basic but free facility. As I finished another motorhome turned up so thinking he wanted the facility (which is not drive thru) I moved out so he could get on. It seems I was wrong coupled with that I could not get on the “free wifi” so I thought s*d it and decided to move on. What I needed now was a cimetière to get some water for my showers. Looking on the map Reignac looked promising and I made my way there. After locating the dead centre I filled my tanks. Soon be time for lunch. Lunch was taken in a layby just a little to close to the road as every truck that passed rocked Helen – good job I was not drinking could have spilt the precious fluid.

Where to next? Well the plan was to get some sun on exposed skin but the forecast was not encouraging. Despite this I decided to make my way to Saint Palais sur Mer I was already on a road there so it sort of made sense! The planned route was abandoned when I found the D137 which promised to take me to Royan with a change to the D730 at Mirambeau. Sooner than I expected I was at Saint Palais sur Mer and looking for a parking spot adjacent to the particular part of the beach I wanted access to. Nothing forthcoming and it looked like some had taken root so not likely to change. I found a spot eventually but it did not satisfy my requirements and decided to make a cup of tea and decide what I would do. I put the water in the kettle but did not get as far as lighting the gas. I decided I would see if I could park up near la gare at Chaillevette where I had paused briefly last year. Off I did jolly well went!

Arriving at the station I was pleased to see a train was in and hurriedly parked grabbed my camera and “rushed” to take a picture before it was gone. Well, “Roger me with a fish fork” as Melchit said, when I got there, there was not one but two trains both with steam locomotives (I truly am one of the luckiest people alive) I snapped away but shot video as well so a bit of a hotch potch.

image.jpeg

I wandered around taking pictures all the while and then re-parked Helen closer to the fence. If no one tells me to go I am staying here for the night. The Honda is shackled and locked to the front towing eye which is not detachable.

image.jpeg

Subject to the weather tomorrow it will either be a bit of beach or some trains and cycling. To close a picture of each of the engines. Above is the Henschel (nearest camera) taking on coal for tomorrow. The locomotive Meuse (from the same place as the failed engine at Guitres) arrived here about a fortnight on a low loader from Alsace. The lines Schneider locomotive which you will have seen here on my reports last year is in for its obligatory service and withdrawn. Chatting to the source of this information the only thing delaying her return to service is the endless bureaucracy in France. Little by little I am learning this as the civil servants protect their privileged position. Macron is in trouble – big time, sadly I think they need a Margaret but then the brown moist material would really hit the fan!

Below La Meuse

image.jpeg

Sorry about the delay posting but too clever for my own good (and if you speak to 99% of the people who think they know me (they don’t) that has always been my problem).

Until tomorrow au revoir!

Cleve

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
Jour 88 mardi le 25 mardi

Bonjour mes amis

A short report today, the weather has been poor, dull overcast but now in the early evening the sun is out. It did appear briefly at odd times during the day but not enough for me to go to the beach.

People started arriving at la gare for work from about 0700 so I rose early and took breakfast in case I got my marching orders. Which I did not and have not so here another night tonight, perhaps again tomorrow. I took a few early shots of the railway which I will not bore you with. Pictured below is a picture of the railway’s Henschel locomotive which will feature later in the text.

image.jpeg

The morning was devoted to bobbing around doing odd jobs and taking photos. I scrubbed the floor and checked my tyre pressures, oil, water etc. While pottering a cyclist who had been taking pictures alongside me earlier came to Helen and asked if I had a pump he could borrow – his rear tyre was flat. I was pleased to assist but as fast as you put air in it was on its way back out. I offered him a new tube as I have a number of spares with me. So after checking the tyre we popped some air in the tube and popped it on the rim. Ok until now. The gentleman has deep rims and my short valved tube was not long enough for us to get the pump on when fitted to the rim and tyre. I checked my other tubes and they are all the same except those for my hybrid which has Schneider valves anyway. This was bad news for our friend but also for me – I have deep rims as well so I will be visiting a vélo outlet very soon. I supplied him with an adhesive patch and fixed the double pin holes in his tube. Inflated him and he was away.

I elected to go for a ride on my bike later if the weather stayed as it was, which it did.

I checked the railways rather leisurely timetable and decided I would cycle to la gare at Mornac, I had been there about 3 years ago and it would be good to film the steam train climbing out towards the level crossing. It was only a short ride of about 7km on lovely quiet roads. Reaching the station I was a little surprised to see the diesel locomotive at the head of the train but stayed by the crossing and took pictures anyway. I was even more surprised as the train passed to see the Henschel steam locomotive being towed along at the back. I could only assume that there had been some kind of failure.

I made my way from the crossing to take a picture of the station from the vantage point I had taken a picture those few years ago. The picture is below and is titled “Absent Partner.”

image.jpeg

Pictures taken I consulted the timetable and made my way back to Helen at Chaillevette. Approaching the cimetière I heard the whistle of the other steam locomotive on the opposite working and stopped to shoot some video, I need to be able to carry a small monopod I think, talk about jerky!

On returning to Helen the Henschel was stationary behind her and I chatted to the crew to find out what was up. One of the injectors had failed which did not come as a complete surprise to me as I noticed they had difficulty operating it yesterday. I can only assume that this failed unit was the better of the two fitted and they could not risk operations with the other probably dud one – pure conjecture you understand. I knew they have the machinery to turn new cones if necessary or perhaps re profile the existing ones. I do anticipate the engine being back in service tomorrow.

That about wraps it up for today. Again thank you for following my ramblings, I will try not to bore you all to death with the trains – keep your fingers crossed for the beach. The sun is out now but the forecast is not brilliant for tomorrow.

All the best Clive

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
Hello

First the report for yesterday followed by today’s. Thank you.

Jour 89 mercredi le 26 juillet

Hello from Chaillevette

Looks as if I will be here for another night (at least). The weather forecast was correct and I woke to light drizzle. While cycling to Mornac yesterday I had seen the free parking for camping cars at the station and thought maybe I would move over there.

I decided to go to the nearby superU in the hope of getting an external USB hard drive as all my storage is close to full. I had seen them in another superU a few days ago. Sadly not at this one! I filled up with gazole then parked behind a Belgian camping car to await my turn for the 8kg washing machine. After about an hour it was my turn. I had bought some ariel pellet things in the store and I must say I am happy with the results. A picture of the laverie follows, I have no idea who the bloke is he wandered into shot and was hanging around so long I gave up and took the picture. My 8kg cost 4€ and I had two goes with the drier at 1€ a shot. No point even thinking of hanging anything out today.

image.jpeg

I made my way over to Mornac via the cimetière (water up lift) and parked in the relevant place. I checked the tv which only offered a basic 5 channels, none of which were of interest to me but I am only interested in tv to try and improve my French. The pitch appeared ok. Then I picked up my phone – NO SERVICE, so that was that for Mornac. I returned to Chaillevette.

I am pleased to report that the Henschel locomotive is fixed and I spent a little while chatting to two of the railway ‘workers’. They indicated that there was no problem with my parking where I was and checked I was ok for water etc.

It has been mainly video today. (Sadly the bike video did not work, well it did but only for 7 seconds then the battery was flat! I did have over 2 hours video of the shelf it had been on (now deleted) so when I put it up to charge I must have knocked it on - merde).

Tomorrow’s forecast is again poor but hoping for better on Friday.

Cheers Clive

Jour 90 jeudi le 27 juillet

The day turned out as forecast sadly. Fine drizzle and grey. Not quite what I was hoping for – I need some good bright sunshine for my photographs, never mind.

I decided I would go to the Lidl at Saujoun and get some supplies. After clearing up and showering I set off. Before I reached the top of the hill I had already changed my mind and decided to go to the closer Intermarché in cas they had a hard drive. They did not but I picked up my bit of shopping and dumped it in Helen. Next door was an alsorts kind of store and finally I was able to buy a couple of those plasticky things you can stick on and push tea towels into, I have been looking for weeks. I was also able to buy a cheap shower curtain rail – the expanding type. All this “free camping” and rain had left me with nowhere to dry my towel after my shower. I had read of others rigging things up in the shower room, string, washing line and such like, this was my solution (and I suspect that of many others before me). I hung my wet towel over it and pegged it at the fold so it would hopefully not fall off. I am pleased to say it has not.
I decided I would drive around to Saint Palais sur Mer and see if there was any parking near the beach – possible sunshine tomorrow and Saturday – fingers crossed. I was rewarded with parking almost exactly where I wanted and grabbed the space. Still rubbish weather at the moment but I think I will go for a bike ride.

More when I get back!

Well, I am pleased to report I am back from my ride. The drizzle never let up so I have one of those pretty lines running up my back and cycled just under 11 km. I am pleased to report that the sun keeps peeping out but not consistently or for long enough for me to rush down to the beach sadly!

My little ride took me along the road where the camping cars are parked then out onto the ‘promenade’ towards the main town. I stopped short when I reached a string of carrelets one of which I had taken lunch on a couple of years ago. Sadly the only things coming up in the net that day were meduse – jellyfish (Yeuk). I took a photo of the carrelets which follows, then turned and made my way back towards La Palmyre.

image.jpeg

If I remember correctly the one I took lunch on is the one centre screen.

I could not return the entire way that I had come because part of it is one way so joined the ‘piste cyclable’. I had no idea how undulating this was but it eased to a steady path after I had passed the safety hut and continued toward the zoo where I turned and returned to Helen using the piste. Reaching the safety hut I dismounted and just stood and looked at the waves for a while. There were three or four land yachts racing on the hard sand, think I’d like a go at that!

I must remark that apart from one of two patches of sand where a little care is needed the piste cyclable is of the highest standard.

That is it for today. No tv channels at all here and the phone is in and out of E and 3G, I have yet to see any 4G here. Happy days, this evening I will take a stroll down to the beach and enjoy some very pleasant memories of years gone by (cue violins…)

Looking forward to sunshine – à bientôt

Clive

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
jour 90 vendredi le 28 juillet

Bonjour mes amis

First a snap from my stroll to the plage hier soir, I really must get my hair cut soon. Perhaps I should get one of those stick things for the phone.

image.jpeg

The next shot is taken shortly after 1000 today after I had set up on the beach. I thought about putting this one on photo of the day but with those feet!

image.jpeg

With regular strolls to the surf, a few strokes and back to the towel that is how the day was spent. I left the beach around 1530 before the hottest part of the day. Looking forward to repeating tomorrow. Despite rotating myself like a hog at a rotisserie I have a red patch or two which have received the après soleil balm.

This must be the shortest report I have done.

à bientôt

Clive

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
jour 91 samedi le 29 juillet

Hello

Very lazy day today. Very short report. Cloudier periods with wind so wind break used today. Possible showers tomorrow instead of Monday. Will have to see.

image.jpeg

Until tomorrow have a great time all of you. Moving towards Vendee next week!

Clive

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
Jour 93 dimanche le 30 juillet (according to the diary so I've goofed somewhere)

Hello from Saint Palais sur Mer

Another lazy day today and I achieved 5 hours in the intermittent sun which was good because I had a couple of reddish areas from yesterday. Couple of photos today. The first reminding me of Toulouse and the second les vagues.

image.jpeg

I had waded into the sea, it felt colder today and was so impressed I went back to get my phone and take a picture (and a video) of the waves.

image.jpeg

Tomorrow’s forecast seems a little changeable at first but there should be sunshine from about 1100, if that is the case I will indulge in a bit more sun.

I will be moving from my free parking tomorrow to a campsite I have used before. It is time for a pit stop. I have two bikes to wash and service (chains are disgusting), washing to do and shopping, the fridge is empty except for milk and orange juice. I chucked a load of stuff away including 4 nectarines which had begun to grow a coat I could have sent the Pasteur institute.
The campsite has excellent hispeed wifi and I have a large number of downloads to make, apps to update etc, etc and I know I will be able to do this trouble free. I may stay there two or three days as I will be checking the agents. There is a house here I am interested in but I intend to cycle to it and have a mooch around before involving an agent/notaire. It will probably come to nothing like the last place.

I will update you in due course.

I was listening to R4 on long wave earlier and sorry to learn of the poor weather some of you are having to endure.

All the best Clive

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
jour 96 mercredi le 2 aout

Bonjour mes amis

Je suis à Mortagne sur Gironde

Hi, the avatar pic is from last year and this year I am parked one South of it. No post for the past couple of days. I moved over to here, a known quantity on Monday afternoon when it seemed the sun had gone for the day and as it transpired it had.

Leaving my free camping I made my way first to Intermarché at Royan, hoping to buy a hard drive and some muesli. I succeeded on both though I paid rather a lot for half a terror bite. The aggravating thing was that I have plenty of external storage but in my hastened departure it was left behind. On previous visits to the various supermarkets I had seen water carriers for very reasonable money but on this occasion zilch. I elected to feed a dog leg into my travel to Mortagne and visit the super U at Gemozac. A good store that I have been frequenting these last 4 years now. I was not disappointed and bought a 20+litre container for just 7€50. This was my only purchase there as I was going to uplift cheap stores at Lidl a few hundred metres away.

Imagine my amusement when I left the store (superU) and found another Hymer, though younger parked next to me. I hung about awhile on the off chance they might return while I was there. They were probably watching from the store thinking to themselves, go, go we don't want to have to talk to you.

A couple of pictures follow. Really impressive what around 6 years can make!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

When I get back from my trip at the end of September Helen will be for sale. The only reason being I want one with a driver's door and if I can find identical to Helen with that door I will be over the moon. So advanced warning of a future sale and if anyone wants to know what they are buying they only need to read this thread. The price will be realistic. Meanwhile back at the ranch....

I have used this municipal site many times over the last four years and Joëlle is an absolute treasure. Arriving late Monday afternoon was the first time I had found the place chocka block with campers and reserved pitches. Fortunately my limited French allowed me to decipher that pitch No7 (my lucky number) was reserved from 3rd Aout so I stuffed Helen in there pronto, not a moment to soon it seems with the constant string of arrivals. I begin to wonder if some of them understand their own language or simply do not actually read the panel. They see a date, which is later than the current date and think the pitch has already gone whereas it is free until that date;

I was straight into the house work, empty the bog (sorry perhaps a little base), washing up, fill up all the water containers, absolutely fabulous shower - god how I love pressured water on my sad body. Helen's replacement will have a powerful pump one way or another. When "born" she will be Hermione (after the boat not Harry Potter).

I settled in and shortly Joëlle called by - lovely girl, knows about customer service, she should run courses for the English and ger rid of that awful attitude so many seem to carry.

I hope Lidl UK carry the paëlla in the freezer cabinets when I get back because I am beginning to really enjoy that almost as much at my moules.

image.jpeg

Above is a picture taken yesterday after I had given my Cannondale a really good going over (ready for tomorrow's ride (today now)) and before I settled into catching up on my Utube favourites. I was out of date by about 3 months, I particularly like the Motorhome Experiment, a great couple and I will be doing more catch up after I post this!

image.jpeg

Another view before sucombig to Rosé across the Gironde.

The plant you can barely pick out on the table was given to me by a fairy (female variety) about 4 years ago and despite my neglect over that period has hung on, bless it. This time knowing I would be away a considerable period I have brought the plant with me - I feel all the time it survives there is hope for this world (and me!).

A good nights kip and interesting dreams, I had been on the wagon for over a week and will be again from tomorrow but quite incredible what the mind comes up with.

This morning was ushered in by my favourite Steve Allen on LBC and when he finished I got up and took breakfast. Then after cleaning what is left of my teeth it was an application of that cream stuff and into my Lycra. As I had indictated here to before I would look at a house - which I failed to find! and have a pleasant jollie on my bike. Sorry, I was 3/4 up the 14% climb when my heart suggested I go somewhere in short jerky movements so to my eternal shame I got off and walked a short distance but that was the only time (it came close though). I have spent years telling myself I am fit, there is no fool like an old fool (I seem to have the same problem with women but that is a book on its own)!

So, Lycra in place here are a couple or three pictures, I will spare you the selfie I think we all know what I look like now so until I get a hair cut game over on that.

image.jpeg

First here is the pretty little church at Floriac (where I was interested in a house), so much better this year visiting on my bike, seeing so much more. Still failed to find the blasted house though! I continued along the route and found a pump and weather vane - I had one of these in a previous existence (wrenched from me by evil forces). I am a sucker for rubbish

image.jpeg
Eventually I found myself by the remains of what I guess to be an old still used for the production of cognac finished in I guess the modern equivalent of red lead.

image.jpeg

I could have continued along this road to where Helen is but I needed to ride longer so I back tracked slightly and took a diversion. Rounding one corner I was confronted by a lady in her night gown (only) and that was open leaving little to the imagination. She apologised and I said it was nothing and continued. You never know what you are going to happen upon on these rides. Next I found a bunch of what must be my favourite flowers - tournesol.

image.jpeg

Don't ask me why because I simply don't know.

I followed my deviation and eventually arrived at the observation table which overlooks the campsite and the cut to the Gironde. By walking to the side I was able to capture a view of Helen below. (I really must get this drone thing set up soon!)

image.jpeg

That's it for now, I have had pizza for lunch before I chuck it away - I am not buying any more nectarines - just had to chuck another lot away.

I must leave here by 1100 tomorrow and if I can find somewhere near the beach I will have a few days there other wise I will be on my way to the Vendee but with a look at l'isle d'Oleron on the way.

All the best Clive

Go Humberto!

Free Member
Aug 18, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A-Class
Exp
Great write-ups. Hoping to go full-time ASAP.

Your comments about customer service ring true. Whenever I go abroad (or to London for that matter) I am always so impressed by how few waiters/waitresses it takes to serve so many people. Typically it's a young girl, taking orders, clearing tables, taking payments, fetching drinks..etc.

If I ever opened cafe/restaurant in the UK I'd headhunt someone from mainland Europe and pay them double the UK rate (because they'd do the work of 3).

"Service" is interpreted as "Slavery" in the UK I think, and frowned upon as demeaning, rather than a career.

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
Jour 97 jeudi le 3 aout

Good evening from Chaillevette.

Great evening yesterday around 1930 I was invited for drinks with my neighbour next door. It was red wine, so I only had one glass but I did find it rather pleasant. I did not ask what it was to avoid showing my ignorance. We chatted until around 2130 when I think they had suffered enough. All conversation in French, they are both in their seventies and from Amiens and staying where they are until the end of August. They have a very comfortable Burstner on a Citröen base. My pronunciation of Citröen was corrected to avoid confusion with lemons. A great evening.

I left the campsite at Mortagne sur Gironde around 1000 this morning the original plan being to go to Saujon but I changed my mind and thought I would check out la plage at Saint Palais sur Mer. The weather which had started overcast and close gave way to intermittent showers so on the outskirts of Royan I changed my mind again and decided I would return to Chaillevette where I had been about a week or so ago and where I would be able to stop in relative calm. That is a point about the free parking by the beach, it is parallel to the main road so there is constant road noise late into the night and early morning. It was really noticeable the four days I was there. There is the added amusement of the French version of yoblets who feel obliged to sound their horns as they pass.

Having arrived here in the wet it cleared reasonably quickly to overcast but dry(ish) so following a salad lunch I decided to cycle up to La Tremblade and have a nose around. The cycle path is very good and a large proportion is totally separate to the D14 itself.

First port of call at La Tremblade was “la gare”. I treated myself to a Magnum, sadly they did not have the amande one I like so I had to settle for double caramel. Following that I took a couple of pictures of the engine with my phone – I had left my digital camera behind (must be an age thing).

image.jpeg

After this I cycled along the Chenal side to the end where the boats offering trips to Île d’Aix and Fort Boyard set off from. Some of the buildings along the Chenal are reminiscent of those on the Romney Marsh.

image.jpeg

I took a picture of the Viaduc de la Seudre and under the right hand arches it is hopefully possible to see the Viaduc d’Oleron. Just had a look and if you expand the picture it is there (phew). I think when I move from here I will have a mooch on the Île d’Oleron. I have never visited it before but have passed it often. As I started back so the drizzle returned so I was pretty wet when I got back to Helen. Happy days.

image.jpeg

Hopefully it will be a nice day tomorrow in which case I will take a ride on the train. If it is a middling sort of day I plan to ride my bike along the estuary towards Saujon then cut up to Le Gua then along the other estuary shore to Marennes back to La Tremblade and Chaillevette.

That is it for today. A quick word of agreement with Go Humberto from yesterday. Still living the dream here.

All the best until tomorrow,

Clive

Go Humberto!

Free Member
Aug 18, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A-Class
Exp
It's strange how the UK somehow adopted "Citrurn" as the pronunciation for Citroen. I mean it actually does look like "Cit-ro-enn".

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
Jour 98 vendredi le 4 aout

Good afternoon from a now sunny Chaillevette,

It was not like this until around 1400 however!

I was up and about before 0800 and had as you know decided that if sunny it would be a train ride and if not a bike ride down one side and up the other of the estuary using the viaduct to get back to side I am on. A look outside said the train ride was out but it looked OK for my ride. Following breakfast I got the bike down and set everything up, slid into my Lycra and was ready for the off. There was a hint of moisture but nothing to get worked up about. That lasted until I got to the salle des fêtes when I was getting very wet, game over and return to Helen. Merde.

I spent an hour or so odd jobbing then took another look outside. Things looked markedly better so I set everything up again and I was off. I followed the road to Mornac and on until I met the D733 and turned towards Le Gua. The D140E1 had been a very quiet road but the D733 is not and I was pleased when able to turn left onto the D131 and very shortly after onto the D241 a much quieter road. With the conditions as they were I did not take many photographs but below is a picture of a windmill seen from the D241 just before Luzac.

image.jpeg

Soon I was riding into Marennes and I must concede that this was an extremely bumpy bit of road which became one way and better maintained with thankfully little traffic as passing places were few and far between unless I wanted to buckle a rim mounting the kerb – no chance! Out the other side I followed the signs for La Tremblade. A dedicated cycle path was available again and I continued towards the Vidaduc de la Seudre. I stopped shortly before the crossing and took a couple of shots of the viaduc.

image.jpeg

I was not to bothered about taking any on the way over as I had my Garmin Vibe running (mistake, as I found out on my return) but I did stop in the centre and take a couple of views. When I stopped initially I could see a couple of huge méduse near the surface but sadly by the time I got my camera out the current had taken them under the viaduc. So a couple of pictures from the centre of the viaduc follow.

image.jpeg

Oysters and mussels on their way in from the direction of Île d'Olléron.

image.jpeg

Looking along the Seudre with La Tremblade on the right.

image.jpeg

On the far right is Marennes Plage!

image.jpeg

On the opposite bank the mud banks and beach looking towards Ronce- les-Bains.

I then continued towards La Tremblade with the intention of visiting the station and treating myself to another Magnum. I was disappointed on arriving to find the outlet closed today so there went my treat. Still, until yesterday I don’t think I had, had one for over a year, possibly two so having one today could have appeared like a binge!

Below the visiting locomotive No 51 La Meuse from Alsace.

image.jpeg

The dampness returned on my way back to Chaillevette and I varied the route from yesterday and was pleased I did because I found a location that would allow me to video the trains leaving the station and climbing to the crossing over the D14 and of course returning in the other direction (yes I am truly a sad case).

Back at Helen I prepared lunch, coupled the vibe to the laptop and downloaded the bike ride files. Well either the battery ran out or I filled the microSDcard but my video of the ride ended following two other riders before I passed them and reached the centre of the viaduc (more merde). Battery is on charge now and card is empty!

I relaxed after lunch and the sun returned. I decided I would walk to my newly discovered vantage point and video the trains, first, one arriving from La Tremblade and then the second travelling to La Tremblade. Loaded with 2 X Canon SLRs, 1 Sony digital, my iPhone, tripod and folding chair I made my way to the chosen spot. A gentle stroll of just under 1 kilomètre. I levelled the tripod (fluid head – essential to avoid jerky panning) and set up. Sat down and waited – not long, I had consulted the timetable. This allowed me to take pictures of the engines running chimney first. OK, OK sorry!

From my vantage point I noticed the ancient Renault Autorail was outside the depot (it is under heavy restoration and I hoped it would still be outside when I got back. A couple of photos follow, with my sincere apologies to you all and thank you for indulging me.

image.jpeg

This is clearly one of those things that even it's mother would have difficulty loving!

image.jpeg

The graffiti does not improve it either!

After all this excitement I relaxed in my folding chair in the shade provided by Helen and drank peach flavour ice tea. No booze for a few more days – then I can enjoy it!

If you are interested the ride was just under 53 kilometres at a leisurely pace, the heart rate remained low, my cadence was low and according to Garmin I only burned an estimated 1065 calories. Chris Froome has nothing to fear from me.

All the best until tomorrow which could be Île d’Oléron or finally my train ride here – in which case I am planning on moules frites and bière at La Tremblade at lunchtime.

Cheers

Clive

Late extra -

Just been studying the time table for tomorrow - no steam, only diesel train in afternoon far to late for lunch so boo hoo. Sunday is no good either so it looks like I will be on the move. (Though I might take advantage of the free camping at Mornac, do some cycling, I don't know - at least I have no time pressures)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    181.7 KB · Views: 9
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    151.2 KB · Views: 9
OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
Jour 99 samedi le 5 aout

Good evening from Mortagne sur Sèvre, Vendée

Yes, you are reading correctly I have moved 193 kilomètres (including deviations) from Chaillevette, Charente-Maritime. That was not plan A (or B thru K).

Had a really good shower before I turned in last night, so refreshing and had a really good nights sleep. I knew there was not likely to be much activity this morning as the only train running was a diesel this afternoon. To my surprise people did start to turn up and I checked the time table again and realised that they ran a Saturday morning market train (diesel). So, I pulled myself from my pit and took breakfast. As an aside I have been reading the other threads (addicted) on here and I have to agree that I sleep far more soundly in Helen than I have anywhere since I left my parents home in my teenage years – then I was able to stay there until lunch time (mind you, I had not necessarily retired that early). I suppose it is a blend of my innocence and the lack of pressure that does it these days, anyway I digress.

Having sorted breakfast I packed everything away ready to depart. I was listening to R4 on long wave which I enjoyed, shame about Robert Hardy passing on but he had a good innings at 91. I am living up to my motto of tomorrow never comes now. Just in case.
The bells for the crossing began ringing so I decided I would watch the diesel come in an wandered outside with my camera. I was surprised to see the train drawn by a red diesel – I had not seen this one before so took a couple of photos – sorry one below!

image.jpeg

The train was surprisingly well loaded for a really dull day and I waited until it had left and the end of Saturday Live (R4) before winding Helen up an setting course for the SuperU at Arvert. Plan A was to take advantage of the free overnight parking at the back of the store and go to the vide grenier on Sunday morning – I am convinced the signs I had read before said the 6th but en route I saw it advertised as 13th. Oh well, never mind I thought and continued with the first part of plan A arriving at the medical centre which is where the service point and parking are. There were already 3 motorhomes here, one on the service point – a large and luxurious model (it is possible for two to be on the point at the same time), I pulled around and parked, I did not need the services. Thought I will top up the generator so I can fill the fuel can and then go shopping in superU. The weather was rubbish and by the time I had topped up the Honda I had already had enough of this plan. Where was the nearest Lidl? 12 kilometres away on the way to the Île d’Oléron – OK that’s where I am going and explore the Île! Why Lidl? Cheap baguette and yes, more paëlla.

All went well until I crossed the Viaduc de la Seudre and joined the standard French retourné queue, no matter I was not in a hurry and eventually took my turning for the Île. Sadly this queue was the arrivals one and not moving very quickly either. Not to worry, only a kilomètre to Lidl. I eventually branched off from the queue and went into Lidl where I picked up the shopping – I had wanted peanut butter, I know, but I had not had it since leaving the UK and just fancied some, I was unable to find it. Had to make a second visit because I forgot to pick up squirty soap and coffee.

Decided to take lunch as it was now 1300 and assess the traffic situation afterward. The situation was unchanged following lunch and I thought, sod it, I will go to Mortagne sur Sèvre instead and move my week forward by 3 days!

image.jpeg

That is how I have ended up here. I left Lidl’s at 1400 and was in place here with the other camping cars at la gare at 1645. Not a bad run, three or four bottle necks but otherwise quite good.
My plan had been to take a ride on the Chemin de Fer de la Vendée on Wednesday but now I will do it tomorrow. Sadly the girl in the station booking office was not interested in taking my money but it was a little after 1700. They are fortunate that I have been planning this journey for a very long time, had that not been the case I would have simply started Helen and gone elsewhere. I will see how they behave in the morning. A picture of the station follows and then one of Helen parked next to the other camping cars. So far I have been the oldest everywhere I have been!

image.jpeg

Hopefully boring trains for you tomorrow and a rethink of where next?

All the best Clive

Another late extra, good job I got here when I did, this place is chocka block now(1835)!
I forgot to mention that the weather has been perfect since about 1430, typical!

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
Jour 100 dimanche le 6 août

Hi everyone, this is the report for yesterday, I dropped off listening to the radio and when I came around it was time for bed!

This was a day which I would describe as satisfactory, not excellent but by the same token not poor. For those of you who have had enough trains now is the time to skim ahead to jour 101, no photos and not a lot of trains.

Mortagne sur Sèvre is the only place to board the Chemin de fer de la Vendée trains. Today two trains were scheduled to run – I expected both to be steam hauled but that was not the case. The first service was their version of the “Orient Express”. It is called “Le Train Restauant – Voitures Orient Express.” It does say on the literature that it is diesel hauled (only just seen that) which for me would be a disappointment. The “Pullman” diners on the Bluebelle and Kent & East Sussex Railways are steam hauled. Mind you, my protracted exposure to the French approach highlights many areas of quite significant difference.

I watched the formation drawn into the station by a small diesel locomotive which on arrival ran around the train and took up its position at the head of the train. The train consisted of three vehicles, two Wagons Lits restaurant cars and a service wagon carrying a large electrical generator and additional equipment. I was not travelling on this train but the later one.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The whole operation seemed to be very well run with both the engine crew and train personnel clearly taking a pride in the operation and responding very well to the constant questions and comments of their eventual passengers and the countless others present. The train personnel were wearing appropriate uniforms and were well turned out. Pity about it being a diesel but if I were not travelling alone (always difficult to accommodate) I would have certainly travelled on this train.
The train was scheduled to depart at 1200 but they were 4 people down (mum and dad and two kids). The missing family had telephoned their delay and the train waited for them leaving about 15 minutes late. Nobody minded those on board were sipping an apéro.

My train was due to leave at 1530 so I dawdled back to Helen and took lunch before wandering back about 1430 to await the diners and my train. One of the railway volunteers was giving a talk about the railway and its operation. It was a little difficult to follow because his words were being echoed off the large industrial storage building behind him – shame, probably could have be cured by tilting the speakers on the station building down just a touch.

A little after 1500 the “Wagons Lits” reappeared with their vert diesel locomotive. That formation was coupled to the six carriages that would form the “train à la vapeur”, the steam locomotive and another diesel (same as the first but bleu this time), alarm bells began to ring.
It made sense for the two trains to combine allowing expeditious turn round but there was no need for the second diesel unless there was a problem. I hate being right all the time but sure enough there was a problem. Shortly after the announcement was made, the steam locomotive had a problem with its compressor and was unable to charge the air system for the brakes. The steam locomotive would provide the power for the trip but the diesel would be providing the air for the brakes. I was disappointed that the diesel was not placed at the rear of the train as it was only there to act as a compressor but I am unfamiliar with French railway practice so will just have to leave it at that. That is why today was only satisfactory.

image.jpeg

Another small problem comes from the failure to maintain the infrastructure. They do describe the route as picturesque and their script (commentary) draws your attention to a number of features en route. Sadly as the vegetation has been allowed to go wild alongside the track with no management at all the only places you can see anything are the level crossings and the 3 viaducts. Such a shame as I am sure when they first started operation it was all relevant. The track was maintained by SNCF until 1990 but I have no idea who now. The number of dropped joints is amazing and the lack of cleaning of ballast will be causing significant drainage problems, in the words of the song “there may be trouble ahead.”
I did the ride out on the last carriage standing on the end veranda. It was not possible to get any views of the train and locomotive and I took a few pictures of the over bridges and over grown track bed.

image.jpeg

The lazy pace of less than 30kph was understandable and about an hour later we arrived at Le Herbiers the terminus where the steam locomotive would take water and the diesel ran round to the head of the train leaving the steam locomotive on the tail. I took a few photos and boarded the train for the run back – this time seated inside.

image.jpeg

On arrival at Mortagne sur Sèvre I took a photo of carriage 1 (which I had travelled back in) and the locomotive before the diesel was again coupled and the train returned to the depot. To my amusement as I videoed the departure the cameras flashed up the the message “battery exhausted” and shut down. I thought this was perhaps an endorsement of my own view.

image.jpeg

A satisfactory day. If the "Fairy (female)" I lost ever came back I would do the meal train diesel or not!

As I have already indicated I dropped off listening to the radio hence the late report of today’s adventure.

Jour 101 lundi le 7 août

Hello from Rillé

Today is an unsatisfactory day, not a problem as I am under no pressure but not as positive as I would have liked.

The free parking at la gare, Mortagne sur Sèvre is very good and I will be pleased to use it again though it would be helpful if they had a poubelle.

Must have been cream crackered yesterday because I slept well though, the noise level from about 0600 was significantly higher on a working day. I dragged myself from my pit at 0830 took breakfast and a lovely shower etc. What was I going to do today, would I move on or stay put. I needed to empty the loo, which suggested moving on.

As part of my trip preparation I had ticked a number of “railways to visit” and checking their websites (a little poor) had two possibles one at Rillé and the other at Écuillé. I checked their operations and distances. It was only a few kilomètres different to go direct Écuillé as to go there via Rillé. That being the case and Rillé diesel only until Thursday I elected to go to Rillé today then travel to Écuillé Wednesday morning for their steam operation Wednesday afternoon. Sorted!

I decided I would go to the local superU which I knew as just a stones throw behind me. Stupidly I followed my Garmin and instead of going my way 1km I went its way, definitely a Doris now, 8km! Merde and to make it worse this must be the only superU that does not have a station service! I gave up went back to la gare and took lunch.

After lunch I launched towards Cholet and would stop at the first station service (Supermarché style) and fill up with gazole and essence for Honda. I followed the signs to LeClerc just off route, missed the turning for the station service and had to do a re-run finally arriving at the pumps to find that there was a problem with the gazole on all the pumps (more merde). I left there and little further along on the route I found Carrefour where I was able to fill up – hooray!

Researching my route the next ‘planned’ stop was to be Vezins, a little east of Cholet where the cimetière was located on the road out of town. The cimetière would be my water uplift point. Vezins proved to be a charming little village and I uplifted about 70 litres of water. One useful piece of information I gleaned from a panel was that Cholet is a village étape for Le Tour de France 2018 on 8 July – as you know, I am already thinking of next year. I left this pretty village feeling good! I am still feeling good despite what follows!

The D160 had become the D960 when I left Vendée is a good road and I made good progress the next thing I needed was a motorhome service point and kept my eyes open for that panel. Approaching Vihiers the sign appeared – direction centre ville, I took the turning and then started my tour of Vihiers another not bad place with a big market square well laid out but I followed the signs which are small, poorly placed and ambiguous. To my surprise I found the service point which is sadly in poor repair. It seems that some people cannot read the language because there is a very clear sign saying “eau noir” which is next to a pipe – the cap for which is missing. Looking at the “green hue” of water laying atop the grey waste disposal I fear some are clueless and I will not expect the municipality to be offering this service much longer. Some of our brothers and sisters leave me stone cold.

Duties complete I set off to find the D960 again. I found it easily and my tour of the town was unnecessary I found out. Their signing must be intended to take you through the town which is quite unnecessary.

The route was easy and soon I was approaching the target but low, each avenue of approach produced a barrier set at 2.2metres and I need 3. I circled the target area and have parked in a large parking area at Rillé. It does not say I can’t park here so I am and I am sorry but the trains at Rillé are out of the window now because there is nowhere for me to park a camping car.

Tomorrow I will drive to Écuillé stay overnight and ride both their diesel and steam trains. The distance difference is about 10km more than if I had gone straight there so not to miffed. I will be communicating with the Rillé outfit.

À bientôt

Clive

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    242.9 KB · Views: 8
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    241.8 KB · Views: 7
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    278 KB · Views: 7
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    239 KB · Views: 7
OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
Jour 102 mardi le 8 août

Hello from Rillé

I enjoyed a very comfortable night parked on the large parking area opposite the école and marie. Before retiring I caught sight of the moon. There was some cloud and the picture was taken with my phone. It looks like it will be cloudy tonight, if not I will dig out my telescope and tripod. I do like the moon!

First a picture of the parking place

image.jpeg

Now a picture of the moon. Not brilliant but there!

image.jpeg

The air quality here is really good and I slept really well. I pulled myself from my cosy bed about 0830 to prepare breakfast and work out what I was going to do today. When I had retired last night my thoughts were to simply drive on to Écuillé ready for tomorrow. Just before getting up there had been splatter of rain not much but refreshing in any case. My determination to just move on and skip the little narrow gauge trains at Rillé was on the wane. There must be a way and of course there was – lock Helen up and ride there on my bike! How easy was that?

After breakfast and washing up I lifted the Cannondale off the rack then dressed for my ride. Looking at the departmental map I decided that I would cycle around the lake the long way to the depot. This would take me past the ULM site I had seen yesterday evening while looking for somewhere to park.

I packed everything away secured Helen and set off retracing in reverse my route from last evening. One of the first things I saw was the old gateway (I did not see it last night because it is part of a one way system). It dates from around 13th century and could be either part of the former town wall or the absent château. Pictures below. Standing under the arch you can see the slit for the gate. A small brick arch has been added on the top with a statue of the virgin beneath.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I followed the road around and passed the ULM site. Nobody there as I passed but it had all the airs I remember from the old flying club days from many, many years ago. I did not take a picture but I have decided to visit the railway while it operates this afternoon (by bike) and will take a picture or two then.

image.jpeg

Shortly after I turned left and was approaching the digne on the lake. I turned beneath the 2.2 mètre barrier and took a couple of photos of the lake and on leaving the parking area the large sign beside the pathway to a hide.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Really enjoying an exceedingly lazy ride. I continued up to the main road, hung a left and made my way to the little station. All well laid out and where I will cycle to this afternoon to take a ride. Took a few photos a couple below then back on my bike and cycle to the depot.

image.jpeg

Here I was able to take photos of the steam locomotives they use on steam days – sadly next time is Thursday. The first is a Henschel locomotive which they appear to have obtained from Poland.

image.jpeg

The second is an Orenstein & Koppel engine which is very similar to a model engine I have. Needless to say I took many photos.

image.jpeg

The little roundhouse has been completed since my last visit in 2012 there has been some tidying up but overall not a lot of change. I decided I would return to Helen for lunch and then cycle back.

Lunch out of the way I relaxed for a while before getting back on my bike and retracing my movements of the morning. I took a couple more pictures of the arch and then a few at the ULM site. Today there were no signs of activity. Though I know many French institutions do not work on a Monday so that possibly explains them being active yesterday.

I made my way to la gare. There were a number of people already in attendance. They were a group of less able people. I spoke for a little while with their leader, the group liked my bike. I am once again reminded of my own good fortune. I tried my best to speak with them when they spoke to me and it was nice for me that they had the upper hand.

Soon our small train arrived and it was impossible to miss the English, well, as he corrected me, Welsh man called Peter.

image.jpeg

He explained to me the various roles of the people involved and the levels of staffing needed to comply with their authorisation. He and the station master applied sand to the rails to aid the diminutive diesel start the train. It had been raining so the rail tops were slightly slippery.

The track system was more elaborate than I had first supposed and I thoroughly enjoyed my ride first to the depot and then back through the station along the edge of the lake to a point close to the digue where the engine ran around the train and returned us to the station. I thanked Peter for his kindness and waited for the train to depart on its next movement. Peter has been living in the area for 21 years with regular forays back to Wales. Were I living in this area there would be a strong possibility of me joining their operation.

Visit complete I cycled the 2km back to Helen made tea and finished typing this out in word. Back on #minxygirl feel at home wifi now so trying to get the most out of it by doing this offline then copying it across and adding the pictures – I am not entirely sure if I am reducing my usage but at least I am trying (some say very).

Before I upload this I need to put the kettle on and get another brew sorted.

All the best Clive

PS I welcome your comments and if you would prefer me to leave the trains out please say so. Hope they are not too boring.

Aug 14, 2013
Département 87
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since about year 2000
Hi Cleve,

You wrote that you like to catch a glimpse of the moon when the conditions are right, so, have you has a look at the ISS as it makes one of its frequent passes "overhead"?

I use http://iss.astroviewer.net/observation.php? to check when it is next due over my area, but I have also sent the timings for family living elsewhere.

Just a comment about my much earlier message about the trip our group did from Toucy, we were only able to catch glimpses of the surrounding countryside, much as you described for your week-end trip. One interesting comment -at each road crossing, apart from very minor roads, the train came to a halt, two of the staff alighted and erected "tambourine" (their word) barriers across the road each side of the track, the train moved forward to clear the road and the tambourines were taken back on board so the train could continue its journey.
John

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
Keep the train chatter coming, I for one had no idea that France had so many legacy railways.
I always read your posts and if the train stuff gets a bit too heavy I just speed read to the next picture or travel detail.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Clive I enjoy your posts and do have a soft spot for old trains keep them coming please as we should have been in France for a month but cannot be so I'm living your trip vicariously!! Thankyou for taking the time to post and write .

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
Jour 103 mercredi le 9 août

Good evening from La-Ferté-Beauharnais

Not my planned (though I had not actually planned anything) night stop but it appears to be a good location. It is a motorhome aire provided by the local town next to a small lake. It has full facilities – jeton from épicerie or boulangerie sauf mecredis (commerces fermé). Otherwise gratuit.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

After a lazy start this morning I got all cleared away and set off for Écueillé (correct spelling at last). My estimated enroute time was around 3 hours and I left at 1000. The roads were good and quiet and I made great progress. Langeais was interesting to drive through and will make a good return visit another time as was Azay-Le-Rideau. There was a superb suspension bridge at the former over the Loire which I hope has been captured by my improvised dash cam. As said, good progress was made and to my surprise I arrived at Écueillé at 1220. I parked up had a quick look and then put the kettle on. While my coffee cooled to a temperature I could drink I wandered over to the “kiosk” and bought my ticket for the 1500 steam train. The lady asked if I was with the camping car and when I said I was she asked if I would park behind the out of service steam locomotive instead which would free space up for smaller vehicles. I was very happy to oblige.

image.jpeg

Though there did not appear to be much activity and there would be an autorail departure at 1345.

image.jpeg

I took a picture of the “driver’s compartment” at the engine end. Just sitting there ticking over it was significantly noisier than Helen. I hope the poor driver has ear defenders.

All remained relatively quiet and calm until a little after the autorail had departed – 1400 to be precise, what happens then? The French 2 hour lunch hour finishes, before you could say knife pandemonium descended on the operation. I was pleased I had bought my ticket and got a few early pictures of the engine a diminutive Courpet-Louvet design, in French an 0-2-0T (to us an 0-4-0T). It was a relatively large train for the small engine and I was not surprised to see that we had a small six coupled diesel coupled to the rear of the train.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I am pleased to report that the permanent way is in a far better state of repair on this railway and it lived up to being a train Touristique because you could actually see things. Apart from enjoying the trip behind a steam loco, along the route I saw birds of prey, a beautiful pheasant and a hare racing across the field alongside. The atmosphere on board was good with great humour and the train was absolutely packed! Well done Train du Bas Berry. It was quite a long run with one intermediate stop at Heugnes where they checked the tickets then on to the end of our trip at Pellevoisin where the engine ran around to prepare for our return.

At Pellevoisin there was an opportunity to buy refreshments and there was a mature male who reminded me of Monsieur Leclair out of ‘allo, allo’ with a sort of modernised hirdie girdie machine amplified. I am sure it appealed to some but not me – it was an amusement but Yeukkkkkkkkkkq (just my view, others would love it – bless them).
On our return to Écueillé I waited to video the engine draw its train out of the station then into Helen and set off in the general direction of Pithviers.

I think the Train du Bas Berry did all the things it said on the tin and was good value for money. I liked that the autorail ran in the opposite direction to the steam train and if I had twigged that earlier I would have bought the all day ticket and had a run on that as well. I will make a point of returning here to do just that.

I wanted to find a supermarket and buy a departmental Michelin chart so stopped first at an Intermarché, none, then a superU still no so I gave up for today and tried to find somewhere to stop overnight. Which I did here.

Responding to peoples replies yesterday. Yes I do look at the space station from time to time when in view, yesterday’s moon was very limited because of the cloud. I had just put my table, chair and spotting telescope away when an orangy moon struggled with the cloud. No pictures I am afraid but here is a picture of the table etc set up earlier.

image.jpeg

Reference the crossing control on the railway at Yonne, on today’s trip it was a mixture of automatic barriers, much whistle blowing and at Heugnes an elastic fluorescent rope like device.

I plan to visit a museum at Pithviers on Saturday. I am a little south of Orleans now and it is not far north of there. With this in mind I will not be rushing anywhere over the next couple of days and though Orleans may be worth a visit (I might do it yet) I am reluctant to get embroiled in city traffic with my mature old lady.

All the best, don’t miss the next gripping installment!

Clive

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    294.5 KB · Views: 5
OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
Jour 104 jeudi le 10 août

Good evening from Pithviers

I moved up here today leaving the very good aire at La-Ferté-Beauharnais around midday. Had yet another really good nights sleep and there seemed no point getting up early as there was no sign of life in any of the other camping cars (7 not including Helen) when I did surface at 0900.

It was a rather wet day here and so I took a leisurely drive stopping for lunch at 1315 at Sully-la-Chapelle (should have been 1300 but I could not find anywhere to park). The sign said parking so I followed it – quite a narrow entrance and a limited parking area but ok for lunch. If I had missed the sign no more than 100 metres further along there was a large area where I could have parked far more easily by the war memorial. Never mind!

After lunch I was at Pithviers sooner than I expected so continued my search for that Michelin departmental map – I found it at E Leclerc’s. That done I thought I would scout out the location for Saturday’s museum visit and train ride.

I was not rushing and arrived there a little before 1600. To my surprise they were open, checking their calendar I found that they operate on Thursdays in août. I bought my ticket and boarded the train. Diesel hauled in juillet et août because of the fire risk with the adjacent cereal crops. It was a good little ride over the rails that until 1964 were used for the transport of sugar beet. A picture of the engine follows

image.jpeg

Here is a picture of the train.

image.jpeg

The trip was accompanied by rain, thunder and lightening. I was very impressed with the set up and their terminus at Bellébat.
On our return to Pithviers I visited the small museum which houses an excellent collection of narrow gauge (60cm) locomotives and associated rolling stock. It was well presented and their were a number of excellent models.

image.jpeg

This next picture is of a petrol/electric autorail obtained by the original company in 1922 beautifully restored and used on special events.

image.jpeg

I bought a few souvenirs and made my way back to Helen. My luck had been with me again and as they are not running steam this month I could not see a lot of point in returning Saturday. My luck goes on. I received a call from my brother Gary about something requiring attention back in the UK and when was I likely to be back. I told him I would come over next week – it could not have been better me. So far on this trip I have done over 6000 kilomètres and Helen is due an oil and filter change plus the usual periodic service items. I also need to visit Guernsey, my signature being required to move some money around. I desperately need a hair cut as well. So Lady Luck is looking after me again.
I have amended my booking to return 1020 on Monday. So I will take a slow drive up to Étretat tomorrow and look at the autorail there on Saturday after which I will drift up to the Baie de Somme and lurk around Noyelles where I can photo and video the steam trains on Sunday.

When I have finished playing trains I will move up to Cité Europe for overnight and the tunnel on Monday. If all goes to my hasty plans I can drop Helen off for service. Do the family stuff, get my hair cut and visit Guernsey all in about a week and be on my way back over here to pick up from where I left off and stay on into October the week after next. Result!

A bonus is I will be able to off load all the junk I have brought with me and not used. Yippee!

That’s all for now folks, I anticipate tomorrow to be essentially a driving day so probably the next report on Saturday (but there could still be something tomorrow yet, who knows)?

Cheers Clive

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
jour 105 vendredi le 11 août

Good evening from Les Loges (near Étretat)

Set off from Bellébat this morning around 0900 and a good steady drive up to here. I arrived around 1400 with a little dithering here and there. Finding this station, where I will probably spend the night, was a bit of a chore. Signage was I feel a little inadequate. Here in the end though and as yesterday I was able to see want I wanted to see comfortably this afternoon. I will leave here tomorrow morning for the drive along the coast to Noyelles.

There are two options on this site, well perhaps three. You can ride the train to and from Étretat or ride up on the train and cycle back on the vélo rail (picture beneath) or vélo rail down and train back up.
I quite fancy the idea of the vélo rail but as a solo traveller have to rule it out for the time being.

image.jpeg

I took more video than I did photos today. The diesel pictured below pushed an autorail trailer up from Étretat and pulled a large number of the vélo rail contraptions behind it. I knew of these things but I did not expect them to be as popular as this one certainly is. Every vélo rail was used!

image.jpeg

The diesel above (coupled to the autorail trailer) is quite an ugly little job and I have absolutely no idea of its make. Below a picture of the trailer.

image.jpeg

I looked inside the trailer which I am pleased to report was clean and well presented unlike the shabby exterior. The crew operating the train, the station and crossing seemed a good jolly mix. The oral briefing to the "vélo railers" was delivered well with humour. I would like to do this little run myself.

Driving solo I just drove straight here without a break so took my late lunch after I watched the train leave.

That is about it for now. Probable update late tomorrow.

à bientôt Clive

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
Jour 106 samedi le 12 août

Good afternoon from a very wet Noyelles s/ Mer

It was a windy and wet night (outside) and has remained the same all day. I left Les Loges about 0900 and set off for Noyelles. I knew that a fuel stop en route would be required and I filled up at Auchan on the way into Dieppe.
This was the first time I had used the coastal road and ok, it has a few hills and bends but nothing like the Alps. Travelling towards Noyelles the traffic my side was quite light but it was significantly heavier in the opposite direction. Particularly into Eu and Le Tréport. I arrived here about 1200 and popped the generator on. I am parked at la gare and having checked with the staff I am OK to overnight where I am. I am after all running about a day ahead now!

It has been raining consistently all day and persists as I type, I looked at météo France on my app and it suggested an improvement after 1400 well I am sorry that has not happened yet. I took lunch about 1300 and checked the steam train times – the activity would be around 1500, so I settled down to watch Hercules Poirot in French. Disturbed by a steam whistle I climbed into sensible shoes (bah) and waterproof anorak (obligatory kit for train spotters but no duffle bag today), popped the generator away and went over to watch the trains in the pouring rain. Took some video and only one still which is beneath. Two engines were operating the blue beneath and a black engine. Very atmospheric and very wet.

image.jpeg

The forecast for tomorrow is promising so I anticipate an all day ticket with lunch at St-Valery-sur-Somme (moules et frites). When I have finished train spotting I will make my way up to Cité Europe to overnight for the tunnel Monday.

Now I am sat enjoying Helen’s warmth and it would seem watching David Suchet in Poirot back to back on TMC French style.

After Auchan I stopped at the Lidl above the Dieppe ferry port – familiar to many of us I am sure and picked up “paëlla” for tonight’s dinner.

More gripping tales tomorrow. I am sure you will enjoy the break of about a week but fear not Part 2 will commence in the not to far distant future.

As an aside, my change of booking for Eurotunnel was simplicity itself I had no difficulties of any kind and it simply took as long as I took to type in the revisions, in fact it was more a case of touching the appropriate fields. Very happy and looking forward to booking my return for around a week Monday.

All the best Clive

It is still raining :swear2::france:

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Enjoy your trains tomorrow, I hope it's dry. We did the Baie de Somme railway a few years ago and really enjoyed the trip.
Thank you for all your pics and tales of your travels.
Have a good trip back & "see" you on your next trip.

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
Jour 107 dimanche le 13 août

Good afternoon from Cité Europe

I arrived here around 1545 following a pleasant drive up along the D940, I left Noyelles s/Mer about 1400 and could probably been here earlier but for a number of those “sans permit” vehicles and doddery old farts.

It has been a lovely day, good sleep up around 0830, breakfast, shower, shave etc pack everything away and look at the train timetable.
For me to travel the way I wished I would not have got back until around 1730 and would be stuck in all the traffic. A review of the situation and I decided I would cycle over to Le Crotoy and take a few shots over there.

The bike had not been down for a few days so I was quite surprised to see the cover torn in two places. I can only think that the handlebar mounted phone holder had done the damage. When I get back to the UK tomorrow I will try a temporary gaffer tape repair both sides of the tear. Hopefully that will work for my return to France and I will get a replacement cover next time I am back. I will probably order up a pair of Millenco quatro ramps at the same time. I have the large yellow Fiamma ones but on the couple of times I have used them I could have done with just a touch more height.

Ramble over, the cycle path is pretty good most of the time but there are a couple of wafty bridge joints which are not good for road bike rims. I am lucky I don’t have thruppenny bit rims. Lovely to see the families out cycling but they need to brief their little darlings on positioning. Lovely to get the apologies but it is all about discipline.

The sign post said plage or port and I opted for port stopping partway along the causeway to take a few shots.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I cycled along the quai which was very busy with people, cars, bikes and one of these travelling fairgrounds (that was just occupying space not operational while I was there). I took more pictures then made my way to la gare to take pictures of the train when it arrived. I was quite early and took up a position at the end of the car park which would allow me to video the train entering the station. While waiting for the train I could not help but notice a single woman (on her own not a spinster) with a black rubbish bag picking up litter on the platforms and tracks. She was also pulling out the weeds. This is the type of work that goes unnoticed or appreciated by so many and is so often neglected. She clearly was doing this of her own volition as there were others around but only she was doing the least glamorous job.

image.jpeg

I videoed the arrival and then walked to where the locomotive was taking on coal and took a couple of pictures.

image.jpeg

While there the lady appeared and I told her I had seen her doing her task and congratulated her. She said nobody else wanted to do it but it was necessary particularly with so many discarded “batons” by the children. She showed me a white sort of plastic straw but I did not have a clue what it was for. I bid her Bon journée and set off back to Helen. As I walked away from her I saw a large number of these “batons” lying on the platform and realised that they are the sticks from those awful lolly pops that children have. A pity the mummies and daddies don’t teach them how to use the bin. I should be on ‘Grumpy Old Men’ thank goodness I will be pushing up the daisies before this lot of undisciplined spoilt brats are in control. Mind you with the two loonies slagging each other off I could be vaporised a lot sooner. That is one reason I have decided to move some money and spend it, I can’t take it with me and I am b**gered if I am going to let it be wasted!

Good ride back, took some more pictures

image.jpeg

Back at Helen I took lunch, cleared away and set of for Cité Europe. My choice of following the D940 was a good one my only screw up this time was I should have taken the first turning for Cité Europe and not the transmanche turning. I ended up switching to the take pets and exit lane to get here. It seems that Bedlam had just descended on the tunnel and all sorts of chaos were in progress. I was pleased to escape and from my vantage point. The chaos seems to be in full swing as everything – car and motorcycle wise – is passing me up to the roundabout and then doubling back on itself. I guess it is a summer Sunday thing and hope it is not like it for me tomorrow morning!

Here is a picture of Helen parked up waiting for tomorrow

image.jpeg

All the best there probably won’t be anything for about a week and that will be Part 2

Clive

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Helen looks so good in your photo in the sun. Surely you are not going to trade her in for a younger model?
:(

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back