Photography Drones (1 Viewer)

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
The Mavic pro uses something different. You can use wifi from your phone if you have not got the controller with you, you can fly just using the phone screen but very limited range. With the controller 1-2 miles seems the norm, possibly longer in perfect conditions. 40mph in sports mode. As always battery is the main limitation. Regularly get 20+ minutes in the air though, sports mode would reduce that. Extra batteries are £85.

Go Humberto!

Free Member
Aug 18, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A-Class
Exp
I bought a spare battery at the time pf purchase, it was a good decision. 20 minutes is fine but I've tended to use that first flight battery for "reconnaissance" and the 2nd one for filming.

I set a max range of 500 metres because, as I expect Encantador will confirm, it's easy to lose sight of it (although the "Return to home" button works well). I doubt I'll ever fly it more than 1km from me, 500m is a long, long way for something the same size as a camera.

Here's a short I made last weekend >> HERE << of "Rivermead" campsite. It's only about 10 miles from home and I hope it shows why we keep returning every so often for a weekend break. North West Hampshire is my cycling "patch" and I'm lucky to have it on my doorstep.

Totally unrelated to Motorhoming, here is another short, shot just behind where I live, in Andover, Hampshire.

It's full of edits I wish I'd done differently and that I don't have time to fix. I am however collating some of my favourite shots, for a montage of "best bits" from the Mavic Pro.

>> HERE <<

I'm still learning how to best use it but, occasionally, you get back home, look at the footage and think.."Wow...that really does look amazing".

Jul 10, 2014
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
3 years
Love the drone videos and I think they look impressive. It looks a great piece of kit. Just remember the 400ft and 500m recommended limits.

Rivermead is actually within the Southampton Airport Control Zone so be careful.

The National Air Traffic Services have produced an App 'Drone Assist' which shows you where you may and may not fly. It's great because you just type in where you intend to fly and it shows on a scaleable map restricted areas and also local hazards when flying. Available for Apple and Android and will save you from breaking any rules.

Enjoy what looks a great hobby.

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
www.caa.co.uk/Consumers/Unmanned-aircraft-and-drones/

Caa rules for drones.
It seems that these are causing a real problem near airports.
Only a matter of time till there is an accident :-(

The main problem is there are some idiots out there who see themselves as above such rules who spend 40-50 quid on a piece of junk thinking they can fly where they like

Though it is about time a simple jamming block was placed around airports to stop idiots

I also fly a Phantom 3 but safely and insured

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Spend the money on a weeks gliding course you can stay in your motorhome and have great memories and fun with a few pictures for later. I bet a lot of drones get as much use as excercise bikes a lot for the first 3 weeks then sat in a cupboard.

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
Spend the money on a weeks gliding course you can stay in your motorhome and have great memories and fun with a few pictures for later. I bet a lot of drones get as much use as excercise bikes a lot for the first 3 weeks then sat in a cupboard.

Would LOVE to or even PPL but the medics say NO!!! can't had the chance when I was young through the ATC and got poleaxed then by the same problem

So FPV flying is the nearest I can do

Go Humberto!

Free Member
Aug 18, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A-Class
Exp
Some footage here of our overnight stop near Devizes, Wiltshire. You can just see us, with 4 Dutch vans, at the £8 per night car park.

>> CLICK HERE <<

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC
We're going to Devizes this weekend :eek:

Those locks are a remarkable piece of engineering aren't they (y)

We're already booked on a different site, but can I ask if you know where we can park our MH for a wander round the locks?

Go Humberto!

Free Member
Aug 18, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A-Class
Exp
We're going to Devizes this weekend :eek:

Those locks are a remarkable piece of engineering aren't they (y)

We're already booked on a different site, but can I ask if you know where we can park our MH for a wander round the locks?

Best place is the car park we stayed at I think (Caen Hill Parking / Rowde signposted). There are residential roads on the other side of the canal. Which camp site are you staying on?

David M Franks

Free Member
Sep 5, 2017
Diss, Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Elddis Majestic 165
Funnily enough, it was the other way round for me. Flying my Mavic convinced me to buy the motorhome!
As others have already posted, the cheaper ones are a handful to fly. So go for the best drone you can afford. It's a very addictive hobby!

Go Humberto!

Free Member
Aug 18, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A-Class
Exp
We spent a long weekend in the Brecon Beacons National Park with the intention of walking the "4 Waterfalls Walk".

Here is a short video (using the Drone and a GoPro) of the walk....

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Wonderful pictures......yes. But what I don’t like is the noise pollution they create. Horrible.

Go Humberto!

Free Member
Aug 18, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A-Class
Exp
Wonderful pictures......yes. But what I don’t like is the noise pollution they create. Horrible.

Despite using a drone I also detest them "invading my space".
I try my best to fly mine when there's nobody around, or out of ear shot (you certainly couldn't hear it at the Waterfall, although people seemed just as interested in my drone as the Waterfall).

Unfortunately we have a stupid Government who didn't spot the (rather obvious) nuisance/hazard potential of Drones. The horse has bolted and I'm afraid they will become a ubiquitous Christmas present for many unsupervised children. The prices are halving every year and soon you will be able to buy a large, heavy, drone for £100.

DJI are a very responsible company and continually send out Firmware updates plus "No Fly Zone" data which physically restricts users from flying into, say, Air Space around airports.

I doubt whether all companies will bother paying for such ongoing customer support.

Hopefully you'll never see or hear mine (In reality you can only hear them when they are dangerously close). DJI have brought out a new Prop design which make half the noise. I will invest when I'm happy with reviews.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back