LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
@Viennese I would take some of the route that @veevee suggests but at Moulin I would take the N7 to Never that becomes the A77 but is free up to the D907 which will take you to Orleans then Chartre, Dreux Exereux, Rouen. Most of which is dual carriageway and an easy drive. I have just driven it coming up from Clermont Ferrand and is far better than going to Montlucon and across country. In My opinion.

OP
OP
Viennese
May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Thanks @lunarman. Yes, I think from Orleans that is a better option for us, only about 45 miles extra. But I have an aversion to going back to go forward if you see what I mean!! possible via Autun and Nevers though...

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
Its easy to use just remember the following

Priority to the right is a right-of-way system, in which the driver of a vehicle is required to give way to vehicles approaching from the right at intersections.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Didn't understand your original question, sorry. If I have this right it's speed, distance and time that matter?

If so, why are you not taking the A6 from Beaune, across the outer south west suburbs of Paris and on to the A13 to Rouen, that will save you 150 miles and a very easy route. Or do you have to travel via Troyes?

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
Malcolm, you must have been very unlucky if you had your vehicle kicked by bikers, in our 100+ return trips in the last 12 years and more before that I have never had or seen a biker kick a vehicle, but have seen them stick a foot out to say thanks for letting them through. Yes they can be a bit determined but they are everywhere aren't they? The difference with Paris bikes is so many are so big. But maybe we've just been very lucky?
I've only had it happen once, but seen a few occurrences to other people, but it only happens when the traffic is stationary, or almost so, so nobody can chase them.

Malcolm

OP
OP
Viennese
May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Nope, @veevee, that was the way I planned originally, other people's comments made me ask about the Peripherique. We are going right down to Puglia and back so by the time we get to France we will want to get home asap. If the A6 / A13 is easy, as you say, we will probably go that way. Thanks for your contributions, very valuable.

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
Used to drive the Peripherique regularly.
So long as you avoid the rush hour(s) it isn't so bad.
Drive defensively
Be mindful of the right hand lane - otherwise you might be seeing parts of Paris you hadn't planned on
Make note of which junction number is yours - you'll be counting them down anyway ::bigsmile:
Make good use of your mirrors - watch out for the sneak attack
Make good use of the middle finger where considered necessary - it's a cross border international symbol of umm "love"
Turn the radio up and enjoy the moment ;)

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
After three times horribly lost and confused not to mention scared to death on the Peripherique I made a solemn vow to Shirley never to do it again. So many ponts with people coming at you from all directions .... I shudder just thinking about it.

Jul 29, 2014
Norfolk and Correze, France
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Had one for 5 years many moons ago. Now starting again.
Often use the BP but only on a Sunday. Hardly any big trucks and as long as you avoid lunchtime the residents don't get up too early and clog the roads. For us going via Paris can mean a saving of 45 minutes or so but an accident, breakdown or just a load of traffic can lose that very easily.
Just keep an eye on your mirrors for m/bikes and scooters - they don't hang about - but just let them do their thing.
If you keep in the second lane you can avoid the queues for clogged slip roads and slip easily over to the next lane when you need to.
If it's the first weekend in July or first or last weekend in August avoid like the plague.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I just wanted to comment it's normally only when someone in a vehicle decides to be a complete a-hole, and not move over like everyone else does automatically all over France, like a parting of the waves - that motorbikers (some of em) get annoyed enough to kick the vehicle or give the door mirror a clout on the way past - no harm in doing the latter when the driver clearly isn't bothering to use it, after all!

They even do that on 2 lane motorways with concrete crash barriers either side and no hard shoulder to let Emergency Service vehicles through - it's absolutely excellent.

Not all doctors and paramedics travel to emergencies in cars with blues and twos either - in the UK or abroad - not to mention blood and transplant supplies !!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back