LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
jour 30) dimanche le 28 mai

Bonjour mes amis

Quickly. for Riverbankannie, I get on well with my brothers though we are not the sort that wears it's heart on its sleeve. Very sad about my daughter but that sadly is life for many, many fathers (case closed on that now, though of course the door will always remain open).

On to today, I was awake quite early and took this first shot at about 03.18 your time in the UK, hanging out the door trying not to expose myself (they'd need a microscope) so sadly it is not quite focused. If for any reason I get the opportunity again tomorrow morning then I will cast caution to the wind.

image.jpeg

The next picture of my resting place (not final) was taken about 05.45 Uk time, I am hoping I will be able to upload today
before my SIM card runs out! Otherwise it will be done twice ...

image.jpeg

I had my knickers on for that one! It must have been the excitement of going to look at the old crocks that had me up so early. Anyway I took breakfast and then set off yet again in search of la salle de fêtes which I had driven around yesterday trying to find and nothing on Google maps or IGN. Another fruitless search then I found a cyclist who told me where it was 200 mètres à gauche, then told me to follow him - which I did. Next is the programme cover which I collected on the way in along with my other bits. No entrance fee.

image.jpeg

I thought it was going to be a load of old vehicles parked up and a bit of a flea market, I was wrong, the Lotus which features later is 2008, but as you will see in the main it was older vehicles! I opened my folder and found out that there was to be a ballade! and a repas. I looked at the route (it turned out to be 84km) and thought well, all these old Citroëns, Renaults and Peuguots won't be bombing along so I can go as well. There was another camper, a VW transporter based Karman from Switzerland, I think I may have miffed him because I was 5 years older and from a lot further away. The 'ballade'. Please note, I was quite incorrect, they drive their cherished, polished to death dreams just the way they drive the rest of the time, it was more like Le Mans. I have been round more bends than I can ever remember and seen some very adjacent precipices. Picture of route

image.jpeg

Now a picture of the massed vehicles. I made myself a cup of tea swivelled the chair round and started to drink it! My Suisse friend (I don't think I did upset him) asked are you coming on the ballade, yes I said, we are going now he said and sure enough they were on their way. I hung back drank as much of my tea as I could and chucked the rest down the sink. Pictures of vehicle before the run. I think only one picture during the run during an enforced stop the reason for which I have no idea, with no co-pilot there was no way I could take pictures en route and I am very happy that France is 4 times the size of the U.K. to spread the traffic.

image.jpeg

Going to try and upload this now, if I am lucky part 2 in a bit with new SIM card! Clive

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
Part 2

It said there was a problem uploading the picture so I assumed I was no longer connected so I will try again. Some cars

image.jpeg

I have not put the new card in yet so I hope I am going to get away with it. The next picture is my 'accreditation' to put in my windscreen for the route etc.

image.jpeg

Next I think is departure

image.jpeg

I moved my plant, quite soon after, I think the Internet is slow because it is Sunday night and all the. teenagers will be on it sharing their weekend! (best left alone I suspect). Next then an opportunity for me to catch up, though I was by no means last, Helen was performing very well. I have no idea at all why we all stopped here but the adjacent bois received a significant amount of some sort of fertiliser, I did not contribute.

image.jpeg

After a while we were all off again, I think there were around 50 in our 'convoy' but we were not a problem and the French bystanders and motorists appeared to love it!
Only in France will you call a halt to the whole thing at the Mairie in Bonnétage for an aperitif!

image.jpeg

After this pleasant stop we all left, at once of course. I should point out that some of the suicidal motorcyclists I spoke of earlier in the week were there to shepherd us along and hold up traffic on the main departmental roads as we crossed them. Back to la salle de fêtes at Charquemont and many many pictures. The next one I am putting in because I will let you guess what it's first role in life was. New in 1959 purchased by the ville de Pontarlier and used by them until 1974.

image.jpeg

This lovely old Peuguot has now been tastefully converted into a 'camping car'. I spent some time talking to the owner until un orage arrived, a true gentleman. Now I have no problem sleeping next to the dear departed here but for me I don't think there is a cat in hell's chance of me kipping in a hearse! No matter how old. Next, school dinners, all 210 of us, I was ticket 99 though it might have been 66, I don't know but I had to surrender it to be given my tray!

image.jpeg

As you can see I held the camera up to take the picture. The meal was very good. I had found a seat prior to joining the queue next to a sort of middle aged well built male. When I finally got back there I found he was sat with (opposite) his wife. It was a bit of a job to get him to talk but she was quite chatty and I made him laugh two or three times so if he was anti the only roast beef in attendance to start with I suspect he was beginning to melt in the end. They were from Bessançon and had a Peuguot Coupé there, like me, it was their first time at this event.

I had a fantastic day and took hundreds of pictures which sadly it is not practical to share with you, I will post one final one though of a Peuguot, I never knew these existed - mind you I saw vehicles today I had never seen before. The English vehicles present all LHD were a selection of MGs and Lotuses plus a couple of 'original' non BMW minis (though the new one has grown on me). I am parked at the cemetery again tonight and I have decided I will go to Maîche probably for the next two days then off to Blonay via Lausanne. I have washing to do!

Merry Christmas, I love France and its people, I hope they do not get to americanised with all that cheap tv. I would rather have the old on about 5pm gone by midnight and a bit of quality than the relentless formula cr*p we are subjected to now. Merde!

Picture

image.jpeg

It has two milk churns on the platform and looks a very practical machine for the small farmer, small holder.

Quick note for Riverbankannie, there has been no polishing of Helen since I left and the only polishing on her - or cleaning of any kind in my ownership has been by me. My brother Gary is the 'oily rag' and despite my very best efforts he leaves enough fingerprints behind the SOCO man does not even need to dust.

Now at risk of derision, "That's all for now folks", if you like this stuff tick the box, if you don't then I won't tell if you don't:

I cannot tell you how great a time I am having and so pleased I was able to be part of today.

Can't get the old forum smilies up for the French flag so à bientôt Clive

Last edited:

RadioMan

Free Member
May 29, 2017
France
Funster No
MH
Don't own
Exp
Nice stories old chum, much better now I've signed up, I can see the pics full size

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
jour 31) lundi le 29 mai

Good afternoon from Maîche (St Michel Camping Municipal)

I arrived here a little before 12 and set up camp including putting the awining out etc. I was awake early but not as early as yesterday, a picture of the dead centre of Charquemont follows.

image.jpeg

I left Charquemont about 09.15 to come here but I had no intention of coming the direct route and I had seen signposted a view point and made my way towards that. Sadly it was not accessible by vehicle when I got to the dead end so gave that one up. The following picture was taken after I turned round and looks in the general direction of Charquemont.

image.jpeg

Got back to the 'road' again and shortly after there was a turning on the left La Chapelle Vaudey, OK I thought I'll give that a look, these small isolated places can be quite charming. I will never, well for the time being at least, know what it was like because after about a kilomètre I was confronted with a no entry sign and some logs - picture of logs and a ski lift apparatus follow.

image.jpeg

Ski thing

image.jpeg

I returned to the road and a little while later saw the building off to my right and this was Vaudrey. They must have been really bad people to have the Chapelle so far away and uphill. Though the farmhouses are quite large they would need to have been prodigious in the bedroom to justify a Chapelle.

image.jpeg

Please note the size of the road, this is what I was following. Fortunately I only saw one other vehicle and that was parked at the side in the woods, a white BMW mini, probably hikers or an adulterous couple. Thank goodness the car was not moving. Eventually I found myself in Wet Willy again and made my way to Maîche via Intermarché where I bought, bread, salad and washing up liquid. Yes, l had done it, when at Maîche last Friday I had left my washing up liquid by the sink, so of course the next time I went to wash up at the cemetery, bingo. Worse still, doing the TDF last year in Andorra I believe I admonished Lawrence for doing the self same thing. Lawrence, unlike me was able to retrieve the washing up liquid when we used the same campsite a couple of days later. When I got back here today to Maîche I went and looked like maybe the fairy godmother would be ... nah, dream on, no chance. I must become a better person. (yeah, right).

Got here, set everything up, sorted lunch and set about putting a baririer in the way of the mosquitos, my original 'polished' idea quickly failed and I have ended up with a 'workable' but basic alternative. Finally done I elected to have a jolly good shower, which was great and then relax under the awning and have a nose on here.

No sooner had I settled and liberated a 25cl bottle of 1664 into a glass than it became over cast and there were cooling gusts. I took no heed and continued reading of other members adventures and the odd difficulty. Soon there was a dose of Thunderclap Newan all around and I thought (in my brother Ian's words - from a very long time ago) Uh, Oh! If it was going to chuck it down like yesterday I better get the stuff inside and roll up my Caravanstore zip. Ending up with the following picture.

image.jpeg

Which is where I am now. Having run around like a fly with a blue behind it has basically gone, a bit like one of those old aunts that used to sit in the room grumbling and rumbling. The TF1 forecast suggest there could be rain and thunder tomorrow so it is staying as is for now. That is about it for now, you may be able to detect a hint of mosquito net at the kitchen window. Tomorrow I may wander down into Maîche and see what the town is like. Having looked at the hill(s) I think it will be easier to walk as I will not have to push the bike all the way back up.

Thank you for your interest and welcome Radioman

Clive

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
jour 32) mardi le 30 mai

Good afternoon from Maîche

A quiet day today, the promised rain and thunderstorms have not manifested themselves yet but every now and then the wind gets up and it has become quite cold at 21°. With the poor forecast I thought I would continue my labours at reducing the opportunities for the mosquitos to get in. My makeshift jobs on the opening windows appear to be holding up which is good news so I thought I would turn my attention to the door. Having already thrown many pounds at possible solutions (earlier pictures show the hanging black and white plastic streamer type things in the door way) and having chucked away one solution using strips of net weighted at the bottom I decided I would revisit a possible solution.

On my way to Les Hôpitaux-Neufs I had stopped at Lidl in Pontarlier and they were selling nets to hang in the door with a magnetic join. I forget the price, which is probably just as well, and when set up at Les Hôpitaux-Neufs had a look at setting them up - my plan at that time was to use a single net over the entrance and just push it aside each time. Sadly when I offered it up it was not quite wide enough. I just pushed the bits back into an odd plastic bag and put them in one of the lockers. Deciding I needed to do something about my storage, I dug these nets out again and I wondered to myself if I would get away with putting the two of them up, joined magnetically at the centre and hack the overspill off.

I washed and scrubbed the surfaces so the self adhesive Velcro had a fighting chance of sticking (though when I am in the heat of the med I am sure it will fail) and set them up. If it does not work then it can go in the bin like all the rest have. So far and 6 hours after completion (longer by the time I finish this) they are holding up and clicking together by gravity each time I enter and exit. I am keeping my fingers crossed. An illustration of the works - please note this was not a labour of love and is not finished in the manner of a craftsman.

image.jpeg

Once they had been done, it was a little after 10.00 I celebrated with a coffee and dug out my French book and exercise book to do some study. I seem to have reached a bit of a plateau and I am not over the moon with irregular past participles any way I toiled for an hour or so. Time to do something else, still no sign of the forecast weather. I thought I would remove the lower external fridge vent and see how much accumulated filth was behind there. I took great care removing the 14 self tappers and was greeted by precious little filth and refitted it. Sorry, did not think to take a picture.
But (bad English, I know) here is a picture of my books.

image.jpeg

You may note the reference is well thumbed. To make it easier to use I had torn it from it's gummed spine and punched holes in it held together with treasury tags - sadly as I could only punch so many pages at a time I failed to check the orientation on a few, hence four holes.

Following lunch, should have been salad but I could not be bothered so settled for baguette, pâtè and Roquefort with a few centilitres of 1664, I knuckled down to more study. As the remnants of my brain slid out of my ears I decided to do a little light reading. Continuation of my studies but God Save Les Françaises by Stephen Clarke - this edition in French!

I had intended visiting Puget-Théniers on my way to Draguignan to see a steam train but closer examination of the timetable reveals it is not viable on this part of the trip. I will fit it in later. I have decided that I shall stay here one more night (tomorrow) and leave for Montreux on Thursday. Hopefully a trip on Lac Leman on a paddle steamer Friday then a binge of trains Saturday to Monday inclusive - there will be pictures! I need to check that Switzerland is part of the 3 feel at home thing, if it is not you will enjoy a peaceful few days. Tuesday I will drive to Briançon and Wednesday down to Draguignan. I may take an extra day at Briançon as while researching my campsite it does look very interesting.

That is it for now. Évelyne on TF1 was forecasting nasty tomorrow and not looking a lot better for Thursday which is why I have elected to stay here Wednesday night. I have no idea what is going to happen tomorrow, after I post this I am going to poor over the maps.

Having a marvellous time, should have done it years ago.

Still can't get the old smilies up so imagine French flags please, Clive

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
jour 33) mercredi le 31 mai

Good afternoon from Switzerland

Yes, I decided to leave Maîche behind and move South East, the forecast for today was rain and thunder and again tomorrow. The reason I originally thought I would stay the extra night was hopefully to avoid having to drive in torrential rain. I was awake early and I seemed to have already decided I would move on today. It was only 07.00 and I was taking breakfast. Needed some sun on the Caravanstore before I rolled it up, did not want to roll it up wet. Morning dew. Did all the jobs and had a shower. Breaking camp took very slightly longer than intended as I wanted to empty and recharge the loo. A new first for me, I do not have the luxury of a pull out cassette on Helen like on later vans and I had treated myself to a new Porta Poti 165 before I left. When I separated the units I found I had neglected to tighten the receiving tank cap correctly - hence the extra cleaning. I will (I hope) not make that mistake again.

I decided that I would travel via Pontarlier where I knew there was a large E Leclerc where I could buy a couple of the Michelin Departmental maps I wanted and a few odd supplies. Having been told Switzerland was expensive I was making sure I had adequate supplies to survive.

I followed the route I had taken to Les Hôpitaux-Neufs a week or so ago and this time I was going to make a point of stopping a couple of times to take photos. So here is the first one.

image.jpeg

This shot was taken a little after Morteau and we have left to right, tree covered hill, the Doubs, railway line, road D437 and rather unforgiving limestone should you choose not to avoid it.

Next shot a bit further on

image.jpeg

This shot looks towards la Grotte du Tresor, which is just beyond the building. I had pulled into the parking to take the shot and on reflection I wish now I had locked up and gone and had look. Another time perhaps. Further along the road I pulled in under an overhang to take a couple of shots - only one here.

image.jpeg

On then to Pontarlier where a successful visit was made to E Leclerc where I picked up a number or items for use in Helen - these included a pair of rectangular red reflectors to replace the faded ones fitted on Helen. More expensive than I would have liked but I will know they are done. Another thing ticked off my list.

It was not yet one o'clock when I finished my shopping so elected to carry on in the general direction of Lausanne and pull over about one ish and take lunch. To my surprise I was very shortly after passing through the border control and onto the motorway which had been reduced to a single lane in each direction at 80kph so Helen and I knuckled down and I decided that I would take lunch at the services when they appeared around one ish. Well, some services did turn up but they were on a hill and with Helen making good progress it seemed silly to stop only to spend an age in a low gear after so by apparent mutual consent we carried on. Anyway Doris reckoned we would be at the target at 13.50 so I might as well get the job done and take a late lunch. Arrival was 14.00 and that was because I missed the campsite turning, not Doris's fault as I had only put the 'town' in but in a way a good thing because I was happier turning into the site from the opposite direction.

The next shot was taken as I walked along to book in having parked. There will hopefully be a paddle steamer there somewhere, there was when I pushed the button!

image.jpeg

What a fantastic site I am on, I think. I am sat typing this under the awning. Three metres ahead is the track to the restaurant bar and gardien, about 10 metres after that is Lac Leman. Cue next picture

image.jpeg

A view to my left (oh, I have taken late lunch and succumbed to liquid refreshment), the wifi is free and seems a lot quicker than of late, though the gardien said that when everyone and his brother are here is slows a bit.

image.jpeg

I am going to relax for the rest of the day enjoying the sunshine and lake. Dinner I suspect will be a simple affair.

Exploring and hopefully a paddle steamer trip on the lake tomorrow.

Cheers from La Maladaire, La Tour-de-peilz

Clive sorry, no Swiss flags

PS I have not seen any rain at all!

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
Late extra, an uninvited but welcome guest just flew in to share the scraps,

image.jpeg

Then just to tease me this old girl sailed by, I look forward to being on her tomorrow. I last sailed this lake from the other side Evian Les Bains in 2013, sadly the companion is no longer here!

image.jpeg

Fantastic, just been chatting to a Dutch lady - she knows rather more than I about our Royal Family, I imagine she could not believe how little I knew but I am not against them they just don't form part of my life. Now that old girl above, that is a different matter.

Looking forward to tomorrow but just loving sitting here in the evening sun looking across the lake and sipping (a difficult manoeuvre for me) rosé.

à bientôt Clive

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Late extra, an uninvited but welcome guest just flew in to share the scraps,

View attachment 166175

Then just to tease me this old girl sailed by, I look forward to being on her tomorrow. I last sailed this lake from the other side Evian Les Bains in 2013, sadly the companion is no longer here!

View attachment 166192

Fantastic, just been chatting to a Dutch lady - she knows rather more than I about our Royal Family, I imagine she could not believe how little I knew but I am not against them they just don't form part of my life. Now that old girl above, that is a different matter.

Looking forward to tomorrow but just loving sitting here in the evening sun looking across the lake and sipping (a difficult manoeuvre for me) rosé.

à bientôt Clive
Loving you campsite it looks so quiet a great time to travel!!
Safe travels!

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
jour 34) jeudi le 1 juin

Good afternoon from beneath my Caravanstore Zip beside Lac Leman.

I have to say that I have had a terrific day again, despite my own inability to press the correct button on my Garmins meaning I have no data recorded for my ride this morning or the ride come walk this afternoon. There are a lot of hills here and they mean business in both directions. As I type this La Suisse is sailing toward Clarens, where I plan to board her tomorrow.

The day then, some of you may have seen the three pictures I put up on the photo of the day thread so I will not repeat them here.

Up early, fiddled around and about 10.00 set off on my Cannondale to find where I would board La Suisse, it looks like it will be at Clarens which is maybe 2 kilometres from the campsite, sadly Dorris's sister on the edge decided to freeze shortly after departure and I had to wait until I got back to find out how to do a reset.

image.jpeg

A view towards Montreux with the festival location (music) just to the right of La Suisse, she had just left Clarens where I will board for a non lander tomorrow.
The next shot shows one of those old corrugated Citröen vans, loonies like me like! Sadly I have drunk my last bottle of that beverage already this afternoon. It just seems to evaporate.

image.jpeg

Preparations are in full swing for this weekends music festival and the next picture is a statue of Freddy Mercury, I was a great, well still am, of Freddy and two of his tracks "Mr Bad Guy" and "Living on my own" have always struck a particular chord with me. Mmmm.

image.jpeg

There are a number of sculptures all along the promenade and I would love to share them all with you but I suspect I would lose your interest and I have no wish to do that. I must say that Montreux is a fabulous place and the people are great, I am so pleased I came a couple of days early.

image.jpeg

Shortly after I passed the above pretty girl there seemed to be a major construction taking place over the promenade and I turned back. Shortly after the tennis club - this place has everything and a lot more besides! The cycle ride along the prom is great and the short section I had to do on the road has a lane reserved for the trolley buses, taxis and bikes.

I got back to Helen about 11.30 and took lunch at 12.00, baguette, fromage et pâté! I decided I would look and see if I would be cycling for my steam train event, walking or driving by cycling up there this afternoon (I do mean UP and I also know I will be driving).

I set Doris's sister my Garmin edge 1000 with the target and set off (I think Doris's sister will have to be called Bitch or Cow, I don't know yet) but I would expect a "cycling GPS" to follow or suggest cyclable routes - not this bitch!

I set off about 13.00 (I was back by 14.30 which does not compute) and the first couple of kilomètres were fine, I turned up the Chemin Perrier as directed and followed the route, I was a little bemused by a sudden right turn over the Ruisseau Perrier on a bridge and with pedestrians but took the chance to take a photo.

image.jpeg

Bitch then decided to take me across a private parking area by a railway station (I haven't a clue which one) then the wrong way up a one way street (I got off and walked - I do not want to find out how efficient the Swiss are with law enforcement), remounted when lawful for her to fit me up with a left turn where it was forbidden (off again). Thunder is rumbling east of me as I type. Then after taking some sort of mystery tour she dumped me onto a "trail" now for this to work well I would have needed the other bike (specialised) and not a surface of wood chips. Cue photo

image.jpeg

Anyway Bitch promised a road, cow, she did not tell me about the bridge and the steps I was going to have to carry Cannondale up! When I got on the road my joy was short lived, about 100 metres then it was turn left, oh merde, it was not vertical but not far off. A dismount was necessary. Sadly none of my pictures accurately portray the gradients involved. Sadly there was worse to come!

image.jpeg

I have to tell you that it got worse. The later slopes make the Alpe d'Huez look like a walk in the park! the next picture features a mature Land Rover, I think they only stopped making these because they were so good and so British, another stealth killing. This is looking back to the lake where I had started from!

image.jpeg

I seem to have uploaded the wrong one sorry but you can see I am climbing.

I will give a picture of one of the locos I am looking forward to riding behind at the weekend and the sign post giving my altitude in mètres where I turned round and started my frightening descent.

image.jpeg

I will have to finish this later, Ipad says low battery at 9%

image.jpeg

I'll finish when she has had a bit of a charge, cheers Clive

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
jour 35] vendredi le 2 juin

Bonsoir mes amis

this is going to be hard work form me this evening as I am posting for the first time ever on a qwerty keyboard and I am used to an azerty one. I may have to go into settings at this rate. I am on my laptop not the ipad as usual because I have put my compact camera down in here somewhere and I cannot find it. I am sure it will turn up.

Today, up early and bodged a better mosquito net on the rear opening window, so far so good. When I had sorted all my tasks I cycled along to the CGN terminal at Montreux and bought my ticket for the 1345 sailing to Lausanne and back. They are still busy setting up for this weekends Montreux Jazz Festival, dumbo here rode up a wire avoiding a fork lift and was promptly decanted onto the surface. Glad I was wearing my poofey mittens so a graze to my left knee and a magic chain rip to my right calf. The fork lift just buggered off but a couple came to my aid. The ticket cost 54 swiss francs, the bike was 8. I returned to Helen and took lunch after dressing my wounds and sunbathing for nearly 30 minutes.

When I left for my sailing I bumped into the Dutch lady from day 33 and she suggested that if I was back in time we could have an aperitif, when I got back she was gone - it had clouded over, spotted rain drops and it was nearly 18.00 so hardly surprising.

First picture is La Suisse arriving at Montreux

IMG_5262.JPG

What a superb boat, such elegance, such proportion. I really enjoyed my little "cruise" money well spent. I must say I prefer using the ipad never mind.

Next then is the obligatory Helen shot from the boat.

IMG_5298.JPG

She is in the centre of the picture just above the water line. I did not take my zoom lens. The next shot is of the Italia outbound. I have no idea what this lap top is doing with the display at the moment but it is getting on my nerves.

IMG_5326.JPG

I am going to upload this now and finish off on the ipad, this is driving me round the bend. Microsoft just lost another one to apple

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
ontinued, I don't know what is going on but I tried to transfer to the ipad and that does not seem to have worked so back here.
Next shot then

IMG_5428.JPG

This is one of those little sort of chateaux towers, I have had to come back to the lap top. Not good.

IMG_5444.JPG
IMG_5444.JPG

Don't ask me why there are two! This was arriving at Lausanne. The children outside are enjoying loud music, this is good because if they are still around at 2am it will be Amadeus full strength! Next shot should be Chateau Chillon with the "Italia"

IMG_5506.JPG

Sorry, you can just see a paddle, lets see what we get next ...

IMG_5522.JPG

Well she made it into that view, so much to share but not on this platform, trains tomorrow!

All the best Clive

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
jour 36) samedi 3 juin

Hello from a wet and thunderstormy Lac Leman

When I got back from my trains it was suffocatingly hot and the campsite was packed with youth (it is a public place) with music and burgeoning adulthood on the cusp, ah! I thought, it is going to be a late and noisy night. Then my fairy god angel stepped in and rumbled and flashed, shortly followed by precipitation. Within 15 minutes as if by magic poof they were gone. The old fart will sleep easy!

Now before I bore you to death with trains if you are thinking of driving in Switzerland you must drive with your headlights on or have the modern day running lights - Helen is 35 years old and her headlights are one up from candles.

On then to today... a wigwam had erected next to me in my absence yesterday, at about 03.00 a loud conversation took place loud enough to wake me, and I could sleep through a Russian invasion, I went back to sleep. At 06.00 a modern undisciplined child elected to scream blue murder for long enough for me to check the forum and make a cup of tea. I decided I would rise early for my trains, pack up and choke them with diesel fumes as I left. Sadly it was not to be, as I returned from liberating last nights empties the wigwam was down and they were going to be off before me. Merde!

On the subject of merde there is a free euro whatsit next to the sports centre just down the road at Clarens. Simple and quick.

After that it was off up to Blonay for the trains, I would like to post them in order but I am on the wretched lap top again which is bad news!

IMG_5551.JPG

This electric locomotive was on the first train in on the museum line, sadly I can tell you nothing of it. It was polished to perfection.

IMG_5579.JPG

The unit above brought another train in, these museum engines remind me of a time before I was even a twinkle!

IMG_5607.JPG

The first of the steam locomotives, a Mallet type named after its inventor using an articulated chassis (originally pioneered by Fairlie but different again). I wonder what is up next, we will see, I have a model similar to the engine above but mine is a Meyer (another variation on a theme, fugue).

IMG_5626.JPG

This little "tram engine" was a delight, the sort of Thomas Toby equivalent. I took the single carriage train hauled by this engine to Chamby and back to the museum itself. You may be relieved to learn that there is a shot of the lake from Chamby.

IMG_5644.JPG

OK, that's your break, its back to the trains, sorry (oh really)!

IMG_5674.JPG

This beautiful engine was essentially the reason I visited this location at all, yes I have a model of this engine which can operate on normal or rack adhesion. The model is superb but her prototype is simply fabulous (don't worry nurse will be along shortly). If you don't like trains you better skip to the end but don't worry tomorrow will be different as even I cant stretch these for 3 days, not with the public I will illustrate shortly! So at phenominal cost I think I will move toward Briancon (I hate this keyboard) tomorrow.

IMG_0292.JPG

This is an atmosphere shot for you, the conventional electric unit is on the right (I should perhaps point out this is all metre gauge), in the middle are four locomotives who are going to do the highlight of the day pulling a relatively light train out of Blonay. On the footpath to my right and left are steam or railway nuts like me all of whom are about to get the shot they have been waiting for ALL morning by a malevelant teenage girl who knew exactly what she was doing, the smirk gave it away. I know it is cruel but she is fortunate I was carrying a DSLR and not an SLR. Just went to upload it and I have not transferred it sorry. A hollow point. Ok whats next then

IMG_5732.JPG

So to finish a small engine.

Not sure what tomorrow brings but I am off towards Mont Blanc.

Now I must go and put something on the Switzerland forum and try and save others 40 swiss francs

until the morrow Clive

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
jour 37) dimanche le 4 juin

Very saddened by this latest attack in London. I do not know the answer.

It has poured with rain almost relentlessly since it drove the teenagers away yesterday and during a lull I have packed everything away. Sadly this has meant rolling up the Caravanstore zip wet but I will unroll it tomorrow or perhaps later today. A view through the windscreen

image.jpeg

as you can see, nothing special. I do not mind the rainy days as without them we could never properly appreciate the sunny days. Météo France suggests an improvement between 11.00 and 13.00 sunshine and scattered clouds.

I had already decided yesterday that even I could not take 3 days of trains and had hoped to just idle the day away today sunbathing and odd jobbing. Possibly, despite being paid up until Tuesday moving along toward Briançon as I indicated in an earlier post.

I will call this end of part 1 and give you an update later. It's about 10.30 now so looking for improvement.

Clive

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
jour 37) deuxième partie

Well, I am pleased to say it did brighten up and I elected to move on towards Briançon. My choice of route would not be quick but I have to say the views were spectacular. I really have to get some sort of dashcam going again.

I left La Maladarie more or less 14.00 and figured on about a 4 hour drive. I took the motorway to Martigny and then hit the hills. Oh boy, poor Helen, that is some climb out of Martigny on the road to Chamonix-Mt Blanc. The views were as stated. I was averaging about 30kph as not only was it a climb but also an incredible number of hairpin and nearly hairpin bends. Travelling down hill was only 10 -15 kph quicker because of the same features. Arriving in Chamonix I could see the glacier and tried desperately to find somewhere to park and get a shot. This was quite surprisingly for me the first time I had seen one from the ground. I quickly snatched a shot but sadly the bed cut if out. So here is not a picture of the glacier.

image.jpeg

In the words of Arnie, "I'll be back." Not just for the glacier I had forgotten about the Mont Blanc rack railway and drove past the station on my way out toward St Gervais. Arghhhh

After Chamonix I followed the road to St Gervais and on to Megeve, Albertville and to the Aire here at Aiguebelle. I found a pull in and took a shot with the phone. This and the following shot were taken at a bridge where a sign said Les Images. You cannot see in this shot the descent I had just made. This is looking back towards Chamonix.

image.jpeg

The next shot is looking toward the bridge and gallery I was to drive through. It is a bit of a pain being a solo traveller but the Fairy I had earmarked for this for many years withdrew, mind you I don't think she would have been that comfortable on some of the road. It was most certainly interesting.

image.jpeg

Another thing that has come out of my drive today is that I must stop deluding myself I am fit. There was a cycling road ride competition going on in the hills and everyone one was riding up them, not walking like I would have been. Then I saw a man with one leg riding up one of the hills and he was not hanging about. I feel suitably chastened and have resolved to change. I have a start there as I have no booze left so I will resist temptation though while staying with friends abstention will not be an option but I will have to look at the concept of moderation, not usually something I am good at.

Final shot then is of Helen at Aiguebelle next to the other two travelling camping cars, sadly the panel van conversion is hidden but did look very neat. There are some other camping cars here but I get the impression they either belong to residents or are abandoned. A Hymer similar to Helen looks decidedly rough.

image.jpeg

Sorry I have chopped the nose of the one next to me. I ran the generator for a short time to give the fridge a boost but I think it would make more sense to confine myself to the 12v cool box I have and buying little and often with a move to fresh foods.

Public holiday here again tomorrow and I will make my way to Briançon maybe I'll look for a free spot again, though I have already looked at the five valleys campsite.

Let's see what tomorrow brings.

Again my thoughts are with the victims and their families of yesterday's atrocity.

Clive

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
If I remember correctly the Schlumpf brothers owned more original Bucattis than Bucatti did :LOL:
They did ! 120 Bugattis out of a total collection of some 500.
Mind you the museum set up to buy them underpaid the receivers with an absurdly low value.

Nice stories old chum, much better now I've signed up, I can see the pics full size
:ello:

I was quite surprised at the vehicles on your crocks meeting. I love the Citroëns & the fiat 1500S ( in front of Lotus) A dauphine, Gordini & an A10 (?) I love some of the old car meets .surprising what you see.
Your reference to the "swiss railway journeys " reminded me that I have watched them all since moving here when we used to get tv via satellite. I am not an aficionado of trains on the scale that you are but have an engineers appreciation of them & love seeing them brought back to life as well as put in to use. Thanks for all the photo's & info it is excellent & glad you are enjoying it.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Enjoying your routes through spectacular scenery. Helen has done well up and down some of those hilly roads . Thanks for posting and safe travels.

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
jour 38) lundi le 5 juin

Good evening from Briançon Camping des 5 Vallées (one night only)

Another fabulous drive today I took about 5 hours to do 124km, I stopped more often than the pictures will suggest, then a coffee stop which was quickly followed by the lunch stop. I left Aiguebelle around 10.30 getting here around 15.15.
There are a lot of pictures today and the Internet is slow. I picked this place because they made a point of their wifi, but it is a pay job so back to Minxygirls 3 job, here in a large town very slow, last night in a small village quite quick!

Picture No1 was taken near St Jean de Maurienne on the D1006, this had been a relatively straight piece of road and I thought of the 'Life of Brian' and the "What did the Romans ever do for us?" remark, I think they had been here some time. The picture gives an idea of scale.

image.jpeg

The next shot was taken after I had left the D1006 at St Michel-de-Maurienne and joined the D902. There are vehicle restrictions on this road. They do not include camping cars. I was on my way to Col du Télégraphe. Quite high and has featured in the Tour de France in past years. I had been driving some time and several kilometres but had only moved geographically maybe a couple of kilomètres. If you want to look at the road it is on page 154 of the Michelin France Atlas (A3 edition). If you have the Michelin Departmental map No 333 you can see it in more detail.

image.jpeg

The next shot was taken from the same location. Helen was parked in a pull in and the picture was taken from an elevated picnic table. The purpose is to give you an idea of the bends and I was on this hill in 2nd gear doing 30kph most of the time.

image.jpeg

And (bad, I know) so to the top, while here I took coffee a few photos and witnessed members of the Ferrari mutual admiration society pull in (3 cars in all, convertibles but I have not uploaded their picture to the iPad). They made use of the adjacent WC.

image.jpeg

A useful thing to remember from your first year general science is of course pressure reduces with altitude. Couple that with Thetford cassettes having an efficient seal I was pleased that I had not gone any higher than this when I elected to use the on board facility and being treated the sudden release of pressure. All thank fully contained, no mess, relieved that I had visit the dump station recently. Now it was to be downhill for a while but the hairpin bends and the gradient required a low gear.

The next few shots were taken just after passing through Valloire, the panel said Le Borgé (I think), I had just left a roundabout and passed a grotto on my left. I thought blast, nowhere to stop but then just a little further along there was a good size parking area and I would be able to walk back. First though a picture in my direction of travel. This fast flowing stream is called Neuvachette.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The above picture shows Helen in the car park, the time a little before 13.00. The following shot was taken almost opposite Helen and I could not resist it. I had never knowingly seen these old Renault trucks before the meet at Charquemont the other day and now here was this one. She has not been out much for quite a while.

image.jpeg

Next it was round the corner to see the virgin in her grotto. I could not see any plaques and will have to do a search when I have a quicker internet connection.

image.jpeg

She might not be the virgin but after I had seen her I returned to Helen to take my "healthy" salad lunch! While enjoying this repas two large articulated livestock trucks full of sheep passed going up the hill in the direction I would be going - they can't be going all the way I thought because I had seen a panel further back limiting the size and type of vehicle which could go the direction I was going and that the Col du Galibier was fermé but the tunnel was ouverte. At this stage I did not know what I had coming.
After lunch I started off and very shortly after I met the two trucks blocking the road but coming back down. The second reversed so I could get through. I suspect they were trying to save the toll money for the A43 and the Frejus Tunnel.
I have to point out to my everlasting shame that there were still numerous cyclists riding up and down these very steep inclines, none of them were walking. I am further chastened.

image.jpeg

The shot above shows where I had just come from in the climb where I had found somewhere I could stop. The sides of this road drop away and it has the tundra feel about it, there ain't no trees to break your fall. Nor are there those pretty little wall things you have down on the Riviera. I feel some would feel very uncomfortable on this road, I seemed to be alternating between 'wow' at the views and Gordon Bennet at the road. The Col du Galibier is higher than the Col du Télégraphe as may become obvious in the pictures.

Further along, next picture there was evidence of last winters snowfall.

image.jpeg

That's pretty I thought as I climbed ever higher into the mist/low cloud, the pass is 2648 metres up and yes there were still cyclists adding to my guilt. Onwards and upwards, what on earth is this ... I should point out Helen and I were in 1st gear now doing 15-20 kph

image.jpeg

It was not possible to go over the top. On this occasion it was necessary to go through the top and the next shot shows Helen and I waiting patiently for our turn through the tunnel.

image.jpeg

Then we were through and out the other side for the descent. A quick shot and into a new department! The descent was again in low gear and maintained the interest throughout.

image.jpeg

Slowly down the hill to eventually join the D1091 which appeared quite unexpectedly and I only really twigged when I realised the road was relatively wide. Next picture then, taken before the D1091 as was the subsequent one.

image.jpeg

I simply had to pull over and take this shot, the beauty of the valley and the rock formations with the river along the valley floor. The following picture was taken a little further along and shows some peaks (pic) sadly I cannot tell you the names.

image.jpeg

Spectacular. Finally I joined the main road and travelled the remaining few kilometres to Briançon and the campsite. Picture below.
image.jpeg

That is it for today. Hope you found the pictures interesting. The campsite is ok but for me to far from town to explore as I would have wished. I will come back when I have a moped strapped on the back. That way I will be able to enjoy the freedom of movement and far less restrictions. I celebrated with a jolly good shower and a coffee on arrival. I will head in the general direction of Draguignan tomorrow and find somewhere new to stay about halfway!

I am really enjoying this trip, today's episode has taken over 2 hours to prepare due to the speed of connection.

Until tomorrow, Clive

PS I will check it for errors after I have posted it just in case it drops out now.

I have now made a few corrections bet I have missed some as well...

Last edited:

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
I'm loving your updates Clive! I have definitely put the area on our list of places to visit. Thanks so much for going to all the trouble of posting such detailed reports!

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
jour 39) mardi le 6 juin

Good evening from Draguignan

Hopefully I will be able to insert some pictures shortly but they are taking a devil of a time to upload. Plus I have just been chatting with a couple of old friends which has slowed things somewhat.

Yes I know I had said nothing about coming to Draguignan today and it was my intention not to come here today. So what happened?

I woke this morning around 07.00 and made tea and had a look on here. My next door neighbours, a Spanish couple were having difficulty starting their what appeared to be brand new panel van conversion. I got on with my bits and pieces made breakfast and after went over to wash up. When I got back there was a recovery truck and the camper was being loaded. They said it was being taken to a local garage and should all be under warranty. Thank goodness but how awful for them.

My plan was to leave Briançon today and travel to Digne Les Bains and spend the night there before continuing to Draguignan on Wednesday. So around 10.00 I left and joined the N94 to travel to Savines le Lac where I would joint the D954. The first shot was taken near L'Argentière.

Sorry, it is so slow at the moment that I will stop now and finish the job tomorrow morning sorry, Clive

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
jour 39) continued

So, let's see how we get on this morning, the first shot taken near L'Argentière-le-Blessée

image.jpeg

As usual (for me) whenever I did stop I did take lots of pictures but I can only put a few on to represent the rest. Next shot was taken over looking the Lac at Savines-le-Lac.
image.jpeg

The route taken by me was of course not the quickest as I want to see the country and I am so pleased to have made that choice, mind you there are lots of bends in this area. Next shot I paused further along the D954 near Démoiselles coiffées.
image.jpeg

The road in the picture above is the road I would be on after taking the photo travelling left to right down hill before just out of shot doubling back on myself at the next hairpin.
The next picture might be the little church at Sauze du Lac, the road was very narrow through here and I quickly pulled into a very small parking area for the shot. I had met some large lorries on the road and thank goodness I did not meet any of them In this little place.
image.jpeg

On to the D900 and the next shot was taken at La Javie, I was taken by the view of the footbridge across the very wide water course as I crossed the road bridge left to right beyond it.
image.jpeg

The next shot is of one to the information panels along the route called the Route Napoléon.
image.jpeg

The final shot for today I was able to stop briefly and grab the shot. After this it was just impossible the road included a narrow arch where the sign said sounding your horn was obligatory. You would not want to meet anything there I can tell you.

image.jpeg

The roads precluded any further pictures today. I had been planning to stay overnight at Digne le Bains but when I reached to 'free' parking by a sports centre I did not like the look of it and decided to continue toward Castellane. My problem with Castellane was finding somewhere to park to consult the Internet for a campsite and before you could say boo I was out the other side with nowhere to stop. I thought, no worries I will find somewhere to "wild camp", well that did not work again on the D25 I drove a huge distance through a military training area covering both sides of the road. I then arrived in a small town called Bergamon, this was very interesting, I had seen if off to the side and thought that looks nice. Well it does look nice but believe me, you don't want to be driving a camping car through there. I know this now from personal experience. The next little place called Callas was marginally better. Then suddenly I was on ground I know and arriving at my friends house a day or two before the rough plan and totally unannounced.

You will get a break from postings for a day or two before I move on though I am hoping to put a shelf in Helen and makes a couple of changes during this 'pit stop' which I may upload.

Thank you for your interest, the saga continues SOON!

Clive

PS I considered quickly diving into Grand Canyon Verdon where @Riverbankannie has recently been but I am saving that for later in the trip. Cheers Clive

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
We've not got there yet! We like to meander a bit too. Currently at the Roman aqueduct at Pont du Gare, next is Arles and then hopefully we will be there.
Loving your thread.

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
jour 45 lundi le 12 juin

Good evening from Provence

I am still staying with friends between Draguignan and La Motte at the moment but anticipating movement on Saturday up to Puget Theniers for trains on dimanche (Chemin de Fer Provence) and then on to Grand Canyon du Verdon.

So, why today's post? Well, though I am staying with friends and could be taking a room in the house I have been staying in Helen and using all her facilities. This meant a need to visit a camping car service point.
Looking on Park4night showed up a couple and the All the Aires South book a couple more.

Oh before I go on and as I was nearby today last Saturday I went with my friend Sue, who is president of a band at Les Arcs to, not surprisingly Les Arcs. The band were playing between roughly 16.00 and 17.00 hours as light entertainment while the judges of an "art" competition were deliberating. I was the 'gofer' and helped set up and dismantle. I will have to return to Les Arcs and give it the attention it deserves, ancient hill top town etc. The little chapel/musée has an excellent scale model of the town and much more. The artwork submitted was of a high standard and from all age groups - I might have a go myself another year. Music was good as well, can't beat live music. So a couple of pictures before returning to today.

First picture is a corner of Les Arcs housing the musée.

image.jpeg

The next shot is a view across the band. A very pleasant hour I thoroughly enjoyed.

image.jpeg

Ok then on to the reason for today's post.

After 6 days here it was necessary to empty the cassette. Park4night gave La Motte and Intermarché at Draguignan but I read the report for Draguignan which suggested it was not operational and had not been for some time, so I binned that idea. Next option was a few kilometres down the road at Les Arcs where I had been samedi. So I tootled down there, first visiting the hypermarché then up to the borne. I did not find this attractive and payment by card I decided against this one as well and made my way to the station service and filled up with gazole before making my way to La Motte.
I went to La Motte 1 as shown in the All the Aires South book, No249 Mediterranean. The only part of the borne working was the wc disposal, this not that pleasant. There was no running water of any kind and the coin/jeton mechanism has been covered with black plastic so clearly not available.
I did not visit La Motte 2 in the book No250 but I would not visit the others again.

Happy days, I am planning on being out of here on Saturday up to Puget-Theniers for a steam train on dimanche.

Don't miss the next gripping installment

All the best Clive - off to the pool now!

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
jour 54 mercredi le 21 juin

Festivale de la musique France

Good evening friends, just when you thought it could not get worse - it did. Yes Helen and I are back on the road, about a week later than planned but much achieved in that time. I have not posted as Helen has essentially been resting and simply enjoying my company overnight but I have not simply been twiddling my thumbs. My last report included a visit to Les Arcs with the band - simply to watch (but each time I meet my friends my guilt increases and I will have to get myself back up to speed with my trumpet before I show my face here again), that said, true "live music" takes some beating regardless of taste.

After our visit to the borne at La Motte I had a week or so of trying to make myself useful odd jobbing for Sue, myself and Cliff and Shirley were doing everything we could to help. Sadly by around 10.00 it was pretty well too hot to do anything until about 18.00 (it was up to 40°C yesterday), it's 30.3°C inside Helen now! I guess if I had a smart car on the back or a moped it would count but with neither I did not feel qualified to include my visits but maybe a hint so you know I have not just been idling away.

After my visit to the borne at La Motte I have been trying to make myself useful, cleaning the pool (ish), sunbathing, fixing a pagola, replacing a joist and building a saw horse. I could have done more but the heat precluded that.

Last Friday (16/06/17) I went (at their invitation) with Cliff and Shirley to Saint Tropez for the day. Cliff and Shirley are from Broadstairs and though I have known of and spoken to them over the years this year I finally became to know them - a great couple. Anyway rather than sit in the traffic into Saint Tropez (no Briggette these days - though loads of pictures) Shirley drove us to Sainte Maxime and we took the boat across - a much better idea.

image.jpeg

Passed the Aurora on our way into the harbour at St Tropez. We landed and wandered along the quay admiring the beautiful gin palaces (sadly beyond my means) and looking at the work of the "artists"

image.jpeg

This one we watched reverse in. Superb coordination by all the crew and loaded with people living far above my station!
Maybe Camelot will do the decent thing one day - I won't hold my breath.

Next then artists, I did enjoy the yellow and intend to experiment with it myself (I hope this is not off topic as Helen was resting back at Sue's).

image.jpeg

We wandered back round past the Opera beautifully set out and stopped for a drink (27€00 for 3 oranginas) that will teach me to mix with them above me!
Lunch was taken in the square, this was my first visit to Saint Tropez for about 20 years, the streets are unchanged but the features are totally different. After lunch we walked to the small beach and paddled. Sadly the pebbles made it a little awkward for Cliff but Shirley was there for him. Beach next then but with one of the gin palaces crossing.

image.jpeg

Sorry not much beach in that so here is another -
image.jpeg

Shortly after we made our way back to the boats and back to Sue's place near La Motte.

Saturday 17 juin was more of a music day, after a leisurely morning (I think) in the afternoon we made our way to Frejus where the jazz band Sue belongs to is based (she is president of the Les Arcs band and loves her music). We went to the rehearsal for that nights performance in the old Roman amphitheater. I thoroughly enjoyed the rehearsal afterwhich we adjourned to a nearby bar for "light refreshment" before the event. This allowed me to meet members of the band including an English couple who have been living over here for over 12 years. A great couple and a delight to meet.

A picture of the band on stage during the warm up!

image.jpeg

It really was a great evening with excellent music played by all ages - I was particularly impressed by the number of young string players though worryingly mainly girls - come on chaps!

Sunday 18th was my train day, taking the train from Puget-Theniers to Le Fugeret. France celebrates La Festivale de la Musique nationwide on 21 Juin but little bits are tacked on either side. My train ride from Puget featured stops en route where a folk group played and a lady dressed predominantly in Orange (including her hair) tried to get people to do the folk dances. Even I got roped in, a terrible mistake, Sue's reasoning being she had agreed to come on the train ride so the least I could do was the dancing (I don't have two left feet I am simply useless). The French lady I was paired with looked a little concerned at the start and I don't think she really wanted to dance with me (quite understandable - I didn't ) by the end she was falling apart laughing at me and gave me a huge hug and kiss - I dissolved. So better have a picture of the train - thank goodness there are no photos of my dancing lunacy!

image.jpeg

When we arrived at Le Fugeret we were met by a band (from Villefranche sur Mer (near Nice)) who led us towards our repas and provided music in accordance with the "Festivale de la musique" along with a singer. I have to say I had a great day out. So here is the band from Villefranche sur Mer.
image.jpeg

Please note this was between numbers! We had a great meal with music afterwhich we made our way back to the station and ultimately La Motte for dinner with Cliff and Shirley. The train was 30 minutes late (I don't care) and I had to send an email to Cliff that we were running late as I had the wrong number for him!

Monday day 52 I helped around the place and late afternoon we set off for the decheterie (at Le Muy) which was permanently closed and had to go to Les Arcs - also closed, so that was put off until Tuesday (day 53) we went in the morning collecting the drum set for the concert at Figanières Tuesday night. That all done I did some bits on Helen ready for my departure today Wednesday and then went with Sue for the concert (including repas) a really good evening was had leaving well after midnight. I wish I could dance but I am absolutely hopeless, so lovely to watch the people enjoying themselves on the floor, I felt quite useless and dare not get near the dancers - it was bad enough for the poor French lady on Sunday!

Night shot of the band.

image.jpeg

This morning I awoke and looked at my clock - it said 08.00, Gordon Bennet I said to myself I better get my bum in gear, got up and put kettle on. Looked at phone, it said a minute or two after 6, WHAT? Checked clock work device, phone was right. My clock is one of those radio things so I have no idea what it aligned itself with over night. I listened to the Reif lectures on radio 4 and eventually rose. I met Sue's son Michael and he told me he was off to pick up prescription and Sue was not feeling well. I popped an saw her, probably more harm than good and spoke to Shirley and Cliff before starting my travels to Grand Canyon du Verdon.
If you have the Michelin or other atlases my route today was from near La Motte (near Draguignan) on D54 to D955 for Comps sur Artuby where I hoped to use the Aire and empty the loo! Did not happen but here is a picture of an old chapel before Comps.
image.jpeg

Even you lovely people will not believe the number of photos I have taken today (4 cameras) so just a few to cover the Gorges. I passed an English motorhome en route and thought is that @Riverbankannie I waved and pointed like a looney but though the sticker was yellow I suspect it was not Motor Home Funster, poor Devils will be challenged for years now wondering who the imbecile was.

OK a gorges pic

image.jpeg

This is the Pont du l'Artuby which I am sure needs no introduction to many of you.
image.jpeg

Helen posing on a balcon. You will have difficulty with the time this trip took.
image.jpeg

Above a view into the gorge, sadly the photo does not do justice.
image.jpeg

The lake and to wrap up before you all fall asleep tonight's parking. An attempt at Wild camping courtesy of Park4night.
So far so good, if they want me to move on it will be some time before I can legally drive!

image.jpeg

That's it for now. Tomorrow I am hopefully cycling - there is a large amount of 1664, rosé et blancs to negate.

Thanks for watching best regards Clive

Last edited:

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
jour 54 mercredi le 21 juin

Festivale de la musique France

Good evening friends, just when you thought it could not get worse - it did. Yes Helen and I are back on the road, about a week later than planned but much achieved in that time. I have not posted as Helen has essentially been resting and simply enjoying my company overnight but I have not simply been twiddling my thumbs. My last report included a visit to Les Arcs with the band - simply to watch (but each time I meet my friends my guilt increases and I will have to get myself back up to speed with my trumpet before I show my face here again), that said, true "live music" takes some beating regardless of taste.

After our visit to the borne at La Motte I had a week or so of trying to make myself useful odd jobbing for Sue, myself and Cliff and Shirley were doing everything we could to help. Sadly by around 10.00 it was pretty well too hot to do anything until about 18.00 (it was up to 40°C yesterday), it's 30.3°C inside Helen now! I guess if I had a smart car on the back or a moped it would count but with neither I did not feel qualified to include my visits but maybe a hint so you know I have not just been idling away.

After my visit to the borne at La Motte I have been trying to make myself useful, cleaning the pool (ish), sunbathing, fixing a pagola, replacing a joist and building a saw horse. I could have done more but the heat precluded that.

Last Friday (16/06/17) I went (at their invitation) with Cliff and Shirley to Saint Tropez for the day. Cliff and Shirley are from Broadstairs and though I have known of and spoken to them over the years this year I finally became to know them - a great couple. Anyway rather than sit in the traffic into Saint Tropez (no Briggette these days - though loads of pictures) Shirley drove us to Sainte Maxime and we took the boat across - a much better idea.

View attachment 170019

Passed the Aurora on our way into the harbour at St Tropez. We landed and wandered along the quay admiring the beautiful gin palaces (sadly beyond my means) and looking at the work of the "artists"

View attachment 170020
This one we watched reverse in. Superb coordination by all the crew and loaded with people living far above my station!
Maybe Camelot will do the decent thing one day - I won't hold my breath.

Next then artists, I did enjoy the yellow and intend to experiment with it myself (I hope this is not off topic as Helen was resting back at Sue's).

View attachment 170021

We wandered back round past the Opera beautifully set out and stopped for a drink (27€00 for 3 oranginas) that will teach me to mix with them above me!
Lunch was taken in the square, this was my first visit to Saint Tropez for about 20 years, the streets are unchanged but the features are totally different. After lunch we walked to the small beach and paddled. Sadly the pebbles made it a little awkward for Cliff but Shirley was there for him. Beach next then but with one of the gin palaces crossing.

View attachment 170022
Sorry not much beach in that so here is another -
View attachment 170023
Shortly after we made our way back to the boats and back to Sue's place near La Motte.

Saturday 17 juin was more of a music day, after a leisurely morning (I think) in the afternoon we made our way to Frejus where the jazz band Sue belongs to is based (she is president of the Les Arcs band and loves her music). We went to the rehearsal for that nights performance in the old Roman amphitheater. I thoroughly enjoyed the rehearsal afterwhich we adjourned to a nearby bar for "light refreshment" before the event. This allowed me to meet members of the band including an English couple who have been living over here for over 12 years. A great couple and a delight to meet.

A picture of the band on stage during the warm up!

View attachment 170024
It really was a great evening with excellent music played by all ages - I was particularly impressed by the number of young string players though worryingly mainly girls - come on chaps!

Sunday 18th was my train day, taking the train from Puget-Theniers to Le Fugeret. France celebrates La Festivale de la Musique nationwide on 21 Juin but little bits are tacked on either side. My train ride from Puget featured stops en route where a folk group played and a lady dressed predominantly in Orange (including her hair) tried to get people to do the folk dances. Even I got roped in, a terrible mistake, Sue's reasoning being she had agreed to come on the train ride so the least I could do was the dancing (I don't have two left feet I am simply useless). The French lady I was paired with looked a little concerned at the start and I don't think she really wanted to dance with me (quite understandable - I didn't ) by the end she was falling apart laughing at me and gave me a huge hug and kiss - I dissolved. So better have a picture of the train - thank goodness there are no photos of my dancing lunacy!

View attachment 170026
When we arrived at Le Fugeret we were met by a band (from Villefranche sur Mer (near Nice)) who led us towards our repas and provided music in accordance with the "Festivale de la musique" along with a singer. I have to say I had a great day out. So here is the band from Villefranche sur Mer.
View attachment 170027
Please note this was between numbers! We had a great meal with music afterwhich we made our way back to the station and ultimately La Motte for dinner with Cliff and Shirley. The train was 30 minutes late (I don't care) and I had to send an email to Cliff that we were running late as I had the wrong number for him!

Monday day 52 I helped around the place and late afternoon we set off for the decheterie (at Le Muy) which was permanently closed and had to go to Les Arcs - also closed, so that was put off until Tuesday (day 53) we went in the morning collecting the drum set for the concert at Figanières Tuesday night. That all done I did some bits on Helen ready for my departure today Wednesday and then went with Sue for the concert (including repas) a really good evening was had leaving well after midnight. I wish I could dance but I am absolutely hopeless, so lovely to watch the people enjoying themselves on the floor, I felt quite useless and dare not get near the dancers - it was bad enough for the poor French lady on Sunday!

Night shot of the band.

View attachment 170030
This morning I awoke and looked at my clock - it said 08.00, Gordon Bennet I said to myself I better get my bum in gear, got up and put kettle on. Looked at phone, it said a minute or two after 6, WHAT? Checked clock work device, phone was right. My clock is one of those radio things so I have no idea what it aligned itself with over night. I listened to the Reif lectures on radio 4 and eventually rose. I met Sue's son Michael and he told me he was off to pick up prescription and Sue was not feeling well. I popped an saw her, probably more harm than good and spoke to Shirley and Cliff before starting my travels to Grand Canyon du Verdon.
If you have the Michelin or other atlases my route today was from near La Motte (near Draguignan) on D54 to D955 for Comps sur Artuby where I hoped to use the Aire and empty the loo! Did not happen but here is a picture of an old chapel before Comps.
View attachment 170033
Even you lovely people will not believe the number of photos I have taken today (4 cameras) so just a few to cover the Gorges. I passed an English motorhome en route and thought is that @Riverbankannie I waved and pointed like a looney but though the sticker was yellow I suspect it was not Motor Home Funster, poor Devils will be challenged for years now wondering who the imbecile was.

OK a gorges pic

View attachment 170034
This is the Pont du l'Artuby which I am sure needs no introduction to many of you.
View attachment 170035
Helen posing on a balcon. You will have difficulty with the time this trip took.
View attachment 170038
Above a view into the gorge, sadly the photo does not do justice.
View attachment 170040
The lake and to wrap up before you all fall asleep tonight's parking. An attempt at Wild camping courtesy of Park4night.
So far so good, if they want me to move on it will be some time before I can legally drive!

View attachment 170041
That's it for now. Tomorrow I am hopefully cycling - there is a large amount of 1664, rosé et blancs to negate.

Thanks for watching best regards Clive

Sorry to have missed you Clive by just a few days! The aire at Castellane was not well signposted and we had to stop in a carpark on way out of town and consult the town plan.
We are heading North via Chamonix, will probably then stop at Eguishem and Chalons before tunnel home. Might stay another night here in Camping la mer Glace before the dash across Switzerland,

Happy travels @Cleve and safe journey.

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
jour 55 jeudi le 22 juin

Hello from Anduze!

Yes, plan A was abandoned and I think I am somewhere about T as ammended! With the ever present heat, it is 36°C in here at the moment I decided that I would return to the Grand Canyon du Verdon (better prepared) another time and as I have been to the Pont Du Gard a number of times, all of them at this time of year bar one and all exhaustingly hot I binned that idea as well. The plan was to stay at Cavaillon about 1/2 way to Anduze but for reasons better known to those wiser than me, I was up early. First photo is of the setting crescent moon as seen from Helen's parking spot "wild camping" near Ste-Croix-du-Verdon.
image.jpeg

So it was lots of cups of tea and listening to old programmes on radio 4 on the iplayer thing. My usual Steve Allen on LBC not available as he was having something done to his heart. According to my limited experience of the fairer sex I should not have a problem there as according to them I do not have a heart!
It was no good and I was up by 07.00, could not have my scrambled eggs as I had forgotten to pick up a few of the eggs from Sue's poulets. So favourite muesli and a croissant. Next picture is Helen before the departure basking in the cool morning air.
image.jpeg

You will note my skilfully crafted silver screen made up of two Carrefour 150X90 screen covers cut and united with gaffer tape. Since I arrived here this afternoon I have made screens for the driver and passenger windows.

image.jpeg

The shot above taken a little after I set off combines a field of lavender with its borders edged with what I think must be my favourite flower - the tournesol. Yesterday as I was arriving was the first time I was actually conscious of the lavender despite visiting Provence countless times. (I just slipped this shot in so the words underneath this are slightly out of sync.

Around 09.15 I set off with the intention of staying at Cavaillon and made good progress until I reached Gréoux-les-Bains, it was market day and French women are like French drivers but worse, no priority à droite ici, but priority anywhere, anytime and anyhow she likes! I missed my turning and ended up on the D82 heading towards Manosque, I pulled over when I could and checked the map, no point in going back into the madness I had just passed through and I could pick up the D4 back towards Vinon-sur-Verdon, a place I used to fly over about 15-20 years ago, so I did not mind.

Finding places to stop and take pictures today was an absolute nightmare along with finding somewhere to park for lunch. Next pictures are a couple of shots of the Pont de Mirabeau and a chapel overlooking the river, oh and I will squeeze in the obligatory Helen shot!

image.jpeg

Old bridge towers above and a view of the the other side through the arch next.
image.jpeg

Next then the chapel
image.jpeg

Followed by Helen posing against some rocks
image.jpeg

After these shots I found nowhere to stop and missed many photo opportunities. Next stop was entering Cavaillon where there was a Lidl. I stopped picked up a few bits and bought paëlla for tonight, so a yellow frying pan tomorrow morning.
I decided I would continue to Anduze as it was still quite early. I missed a turn at Nimes and found myself driving around the old Roman amphitheatre I had last visited in about 2004. It had not been my intention to visit it today. It was necessary to drive down some very narrow streets to get myself back on course and I would prefer not to visit them again.
I arrived here about 15.30 and set up camp at the free Aire at the railway station. It was and still is very hot and I set about making patterns for silver screens for the driver and passenger windows. No sooner I had started than a Frenchman appeared who wanted to talk about Hymers etc - over half an hour. I don't know if my French improved or not. Eventually he had to move his car so someone else could get through and I finished the job.
Final picture today is hopefully of Helen parked up with a little diesel locomotive off to the left.
image.jpeg

Tomorrow I intend to ride the train à la vapeur to St Jean du Gard and back. There will be pictures

Having a great time, retro fitting air con to Helen is not viable so if and when she is replaced air con is going to be a must.

Until tomorrow Clive

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
jour 56 vendredi le 23 juin

Good evening friends

I believe it is warm over there in the UK, well I have to tell you that over here it is HOT, 39.9°C according to Helen's digital thermometer, so let's call it 40°C for cash.

Today has been a train day, and not a bad one at that. Two lessons I hope I will learn, 1) I must were sunglasses to stop the bits going in my eyes, 2) don't wear white t shirts on steam trains - will I ever learn? Probably not!

It was jolly hot here yesterday and I retired relatively early perspiring profusely, I am pleased to report that 04.00 it had dropped to a cool 24°C, I got up and looked out the door, there was "hill fog" obscuring the hill and it felt "cool". I arose around 08.00 took breakfast followed by a shower, such a simple delight but I need to clean Helen's shower rose a bit. I checked out the bins for recycling but apart from cardboard there was no glass or plastic division so I dumped my black sack in the bin.
My train was due to depart at 11.30 and around 11.00 I made my way to the station and bough my ticket, 16€00 which I think was not bad.
First picture then is the engine on arrival before running around the train to return to St-Jean-du-Gard.
image.jpeg

The engine was built in 1937 by Krupps in Germany, the carriage you can see part of is the one I travelled in. You may be pleased to learn that I do not have a model of this engine. The French call it (the locomotive) an 0-4-0T, but in the UK we use the Whyte notation which calls it an 0-8-0T, never mind.
Two carriages on the train were reserved for a party of primary school children. They were well behaved but each time we entered a tunnel you would think we were on the ghost train by the screams - I saw no ghouls or any other horrors.
The ride was basically uphill to St-Jean-Du-Gard. Next view enroute.

The journey time was around 40 minutes, stopping at one station en route where there was a botanical garden. I will not bore you with loads of pictures on the way up so next is one of the views seen from the train.
image.jpeg

On the way back I am sure I passed at least two locations where people were skinny dipping in the cooling waters, lucky devils.
Arriving at St-Jean-Du-Gard I saw briefly an old Renault autorail and snatched a shot - yes, alright, I know but I am not the full all singing all dancing anorak wearing, duffle bag carrying railway nut, honest!
image.jpeg

Let's face it, you would have to be its mother to love it, that is one ugly autorail.
Arriving around 12.15 and the return leaving at 14.00 left me plenty of time to mooch about and take a jambon/fromage sandwich. This means a shot of the engine from the other side while everyone was taking lunch - including the kids. I must be mellowing, years ago I would have machine gunned the lot of them, now I seem to enjoy their antics. Clearly senility has set in.
image.jpeg

After my sandwich and scouring the souvenir shop for something to take back I put mysel at the end of the train to get some shots on the way back. Sadly my snap of the nude bathers did not work, possibly because I was waving at them while trying to take the photo, oh well! Next shot is on the way back.
image.jpeg

Now a picture of one of the water courses!
image.jpeg

Typical, the bathers have all disappeared just like the fish when I do underwater photography !
So, finally back into Anduze via the long girder bridge and tunnel (screaming kids) into the station.
image.jpeg

I did not return immediately to Helen, taking a little time to video the engine running round the train and departing for St Jean.
On my return to Helen I found my reflective silver had been of some use (marginal) and picked up the 5 litre petrol can. I made my way to the adjacent Super 'U' and filled the can, returning to Helen to fill and start the generator. This would give the fridge a chance and also allow the fan to blow hot air at me (usually I am full of hot air!).
I made short work of the surviving 3 bottles of 1664 and third of a bottle of rosé. Now I am back to drinking tea.

At the moment plan A is to leave here tomorrow morning and drive to the Millau bridge for a photo shoot and possible overnight stop Park4tonight suggests there is free parking adjacent. Then Sunday on to Albi to visit the Toulouse-Lautrec musée. A shame I am unable to share these pleasures with a fairy.

Météo France had promised a thunderstorm for now but it has not arrived yet.

All the best, more tomorrow and NO trains!

Clive

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    322.1 KB · Views: 6

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries