Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
I've just had a very hot two months coming up through Portugal, Spain and France and some days (and nights) the heat was unbearable.

It got me thinking, and a post on the 'How Hot Does your Van Get' thread reminded me to ask…

Would it make an appreciable difference if I painted the roof of my van white? It's currently dark brown and seems to be a magnet for the sun. Some days, even with the top blackout's pulled my head was roasting when I stood up!

Is it worth doing?

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I would say yes paint it white.

You would need to know what the roof is made of to select the correct product to use :)

OP
OP
J

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
It's a fibre glass roof and the guy i bought it from had painted it with household eggshell brown paint and that finish lasted for ten years. I repainted it with a metal satin car paint two years ago and it's still like new so I'm guessing I could just use the same but in white?

Would it really make difference do you think?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Why not paint it white to reflect the light/heat but choose a paint that can cope with extended tolerance to sunlight and rain, so an outdoor paint would be preferable, perhaps a masonry paint.
On the same subject, why not paper it with aluminium foil to reflect the heat? I have never seen it done but it could work I think.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Yes I would expect it to be a slight improvement. Mine is white but parked at home here , roof open ,screens on it was at 45º this afternoon when I had to go out in it.:(
That's with a 39º shade temperature though & around 54º directly in the sun. :cry:

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
Many motorhome manufacturers go for white roofs on coloured vans, Hymer and Burstner to name two. So if spending a fair amount of time in warm climes definitely worth doing.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Domestic rooftop solar water heating is based on black pipes and a black background board for a reason.
Light colours reflect, dark colours absorb.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Put solar panels up there, you'll get an air gap underneath them and you'll get free power after the initial outlay....win win

(y)

OP
OP
J

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
Why not paint it white to reflect the light/heat but choose a paint that can cope with extended tolerance to sunlight and rain, so an outdoor paint would be preferable, perhaps a masonry paint.
On the same subject, why not paper it with aluminium foil to reflect the heat? I have never seen it done but it could work I think.

That's an interesting thought…

Although, I have this picture of me slowly browning nicely in the van - like a turkey!

It might work though…

OP
OP
J

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
Put solar panels up there, you'll get an air gap underneath them and you'll get free power after the initial outlay....win win

(y)

I already have a couple of 80 watts up there. In fact, thinking about it, with a large rood vent, two small ones and two solar panels - there might not be whole lot left to paint!

I'm not sure aluminium foil would work but maybe that stuff you get to put behind radiators - or the stuff you make windscreen san screens from?

I will investigate and report back.

Thanks all!

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
very sensible idea. Bit like the Landies used to have
Yes a mate of mine had one meant for hotter areas than notloB. Had a full roof set up raised two inches or so. The 'extra' roof got the heat and when travelling a stream of air went between the roof and the extra roof.

image.jpeg

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back