Help with My Sleeping Arrangements (1 Viewer)

JoyJoy

Free Member
May 10, 2017
South West England
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hiya All,
I'm hoping to pick your brains please.
Ive just got myself my first motor home an Elddis Autoquest 350s 1996 model. Doris!

I bought it with the hope of sleeping above the cab up out of the way so as not to have to keep making up my bed downstairs!

There are two long cushion type things up there covered in the same material as the seating downstairs (lol you can tell I'm a real Newbie! Lol :D) one is removalable and the other is screwed down. I was advised to put a memory foam mattress on top which I did, and after buying a ladder to get up there I find there's not much room to turn.

So, what do you guys do and what do you suggest?
Can the cushions up there be 'unfixed' and taken down or is that not a good plan. The memory mattress is aprx. 3" deep.

Many thanks for reading and hopefully receiving your replies.
Cheers
Joy

Feb 15, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2016
We have a microwave that came built in and do use it quite often when on hook up. I don't know if I would have bought one if not built in as it's not really necessary, but that depends on how much you normally use one and how often you will be on hook up.

Upvote 0

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Oh thanks so much Geraldine for that info! I go to Bristol sometimes, my old home town, so that's worth knowing! I will check out Brownhills to see if they have the part I need, ... I don't want to be rained on!
Cheers
Joy

Joy, don't forget when you are having work done at any of these places, no matter what, you can ask if you can camp there overnight .. even if they finish the job ... as it gives you a free, safe parking for one night. :) It all adds up.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
JoyJoy

JoyJoy

Free Member
May 10, 2017
South West England
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer
Exp
I'm a newbie
Joy, don't forget when you are having work done at any of these places, no matter what, you can ask if you can camp there overnight .. even if they finish the job ... as it gives you a free, safe parking for one night. :) It all adds up.

Hey! That's great advice! Thank you! :)
I'm so chuffed to have found this motorhomefun and all you helpful girls (and boys)!
Cheers
Joy

Upvote 0
OP
OP
JoyJoy

JoyJoy

Free Member
May 10, 2017
South West England
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer
Exp
I'm a newbie
We have a microwave that came built in and do use it quite often when on hook up. I don't know if I would have bought one if not built in as it's not really necessary, but that depends on how much you normally use one and how often you will be on hook up.
That's worth knowing and I'm guessing you mean you can't use it unless you are hooked up?!
At home I use a microwave more than anything.
I have a generator but not sure if it would be strong enough to use with microwave? It came with Doris so I've not even plugged it in yet, well, actually I don't even know how to use it! :rolleyes:
Cheers
Joy

Upvote 0

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I had a microwave in my last van and NEVER used it once.... but then I was never on hook up as my first purchase and the best advice I ever got was to buy a good solar panel..... would put that as a priority now..

Next best piece of advice was the refillable gas bottles from Auto Gas in Thirsk .. can someone put the link please.... BRILLIANT people .. and reduced cost by so much it was incredible.

Happy travels.

found the link ... here ...

http://www.autogasleisure.co.uk/about.html

Upvote 0
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011

Welcome JoyJoy and Hi Joy .............

I see Joy @movan has been giving lessons on how to head Threads(y)...... and get attention.........

:)

Upvote 0

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Welcome JoyJoy and Hi Joy .............

I see Joy @movan has been giving lessons on how to head Threads(y)...... and get attention.........

:)
You leave us women alone .... it's the only way we can get answers to our questions without you men getting all technicle.. technikle .. techlickle ... you know, that stuff we don't understand. ;)

Upvote 0
Feb 15, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2016
That's worth knowing and I'm guessing you mean you can't use it unless you are hooked up?!
At home I use a microwave more than anything.
I have a generator but not sure if it would be strong enough to use with microwave? It came with Doris so I've not even plugged it in yet, well, actually I don't even know how to use it! :rolleyes:
Cheers
Joy
They do require mains voltage - you will see plenty of comments on here about the disadvantages of generators ie they are noisy and your neighbours won't be happy!:(

Upvote 0
OP
OP
JoyJoy

JoyJoy

Free Member
May 10, 2017
South West England
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer
Exp
I'm a newbie
I had a microwave in my last van and NEVER used it once.... but then I was never on hook up as my first purchase and the best advice I ever got was to buy a good solar panel..... would put that as a priority now..

Next best piece of advice was the refillable gas bottles from Auto Gas in Thirsk .. can someone put the link please.... BRILLIANT people .. and reduced cost by so much it was incredible.

Happy travels.

found the link ... here ...

http://www.autogasleisure.co.uk/about.html

Now that Is Good advice!! Both of those! :Ta2:
So I shall fling out the generator and buy a good solar panel as I like peace n quiet! And I'm still on the quest for a double skillet!
Cheers

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We have an over cab bed in ours but usually push it in and remove the cushions, and just use the lower bed, you will find you have loads more room with it in and not always hitting your head on it when moving into the cab, and it also gives you loads of storage space, and saves all the climbing and stuff.

Upvote 0

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Joy, you really must get yourself along to a meet, there are so many helpful folk on here and I reckon you probabaly live fairly close to some of them, Ger I'm thinking of in particular. She teaches all to spaek with a Brisaul accent using words like "Gurt" as in Oi Gurt Lurves it oi do. Jackie and I are only just the Southampton side of Salisbury so not a molion miles away.

Don't throw your Genny out just yet, I have carried my Honda 1.0l since 1997 and have only used it once and that was to help a camper out down at the Yeovilton air show.
We carry a Micro-wave too and so do several others but if you don't have the battery capacity or the EHU (electric hook up) then that's one bit of kit you'll use very little.

Thanks (y) for joining our happy little throng, that £15 will save hundreds over the years.

Griff

Upvote 0
OP
OP
JoyJoy

JoyJoy

Free Member
May 10, 2017
South West England
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer
Exp
I'm a newbie
Joy, you really must get yourself along to a meet, there are so many helpful folk on here and I reckon you probabaly live fairly close to some of them, Ger I'm thinking of in particular. She teaches all to spaek with a Brisaul accent using words like "Gurt" as in Oi Gurt Lurves it oi do. Jackie and I are only just the Southampton side of Salisbury so not a molion miles away.

Don't throw your Genny out just yet, I have carried my Honda 1.0l since 1997 and have only used it once and that was to help a camper out down at the Yeovilton air show.
We carry a Micro-wave too and so do several others but if you don't have the battery capacity or the EHU (electric hook up) then that's one bit of kit you'll use very little.

Thanks (y) for joining our happy little throng, that £15 will save hundreds over the years.

Griff
lol I've never understood the Bristol accent, even when I lived there!! Too long in the tooth to start learning new languages now!! And not enough time with all this MH stuff to try and digest! But meeting a few yocals will be good !
I've just ordered a skillet so that's something else my poor old brain will have to learn how to use!

I'm glad I'm a member already! Nice to meet you Griff and thanks for your help!

Upvote 0
Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
We have an overcab in our 2015 Escape and I use it.

My wife uses the lounge converted and the little girl the rear bunk. (Wife currently 7 months pregnant so safer that way)

Now......... I "HATE" converting the lounge on a night because I bought the van to have it turn key operation. No adjusting needed to sleep. But the overcab is a little snug at the front and easy to whack your head. Elbows. Knees on. Would be more ideal for my wife to sleep that end as she's half my size but as she wants to look out at the little one she takes the ladder side with more room. (Not currently mind)
This also added the issue of me having to climb over her in the night to go to the loo with also minimal height to just slip over her (y)

So her in the lounge is ideal in some respects as I get my own little crows nest with ample room for just me. The mattress could do with a topper or something as it's a bit thin and it has a gap in the middle because the bed folds up at the ladder side to be a bit more out the way in the day and for getting in and out of the cab. I can do the lounge in a 75% convert state so the ladder can remain in place to get down to the loo but it still requires careful climbing over the lounge bed (already snapped on slat!)

I use the van for work the odd time so then it's great as it's my bed is always made ready and I have loads of room downstairs when relaxing.

NOW! If I was buying another van for just me and the missis I think I'd be looking ideally for the Kon Tiki Black edition with the rear island bed or maybe an electric drop down over the drivers cab/lounge area. I never ever ever want to be converting cusions and stuff. Hate stuff that's not just ready to use.

In short the vans overcab fits the requirements we have but it's just not the most ideal design. As others have said they need about a foot more height really and then a better ladder system to get up and down in the dark.

As for the microwave. Well we currently use it to warm milk for the little one. Could use the hob I guess but it's just super convenient to do it in there right in her sippy cup in 30 seconds.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
JoyJoy

JoyJoy

Free Member
May 10, 2017
South West England
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer
Exp
I'm a newbie
We have an overcab in our 2015 Escape and I use it.

My wife uses the lounge converted and the little girl the rear bunk. (Wife currently 7 months pregnant so safer that way)

Now......... I "HATE" converting the lounge on a night because I bought the van to have it turn key operation. No adjusting needed to sleep. But the overcab is a little snug at the front and easy to whack your head. Elbows. Knees on. Would be more ideal for my wife to sleep that end as she's half my size but as she wants to look out at the little one she takes the ladder side with more room. (Not currently mind)
This also added the issue of me having to climb over her in the night to go to the loo with also minimal height to just slip over her (y)

So her in the lounge is ideal in some respects as I get my own little crows nest with ample room for just me. The mattress could do with a topper or something as it's a bit thin and it has a gap in the middle because the bed folds up at the ladder side to be a bit more out the way in the day and for getting in and out of the cab. I can do the lounge in a 75% convert state so the ladder can remain in place to get down to the loo but it still requires careful climbing over the lounge bed (already snapped on slat!)

I use the van for work the odd time so then it's great as it's my bed is always made ready and I have loads of room downstairs when relaxing.

NOW! If I was buying another van for just me and the missis I think I'd be looking ideally for the Kon Tiki Black edition with the rear island bed or maybe an electric drop down over the drivers cab/lounge area. I never ever ever want to be converting cusions and stuff. Hate stuff that's not just ready to use.

In short the vans overcab fits the requirements we have but it's just not the most ideal design. As others have said they need about a foot more height really and then a better ladder system to get up and down in the dark.

As for the microwave. Well we currently use it to warm milk for the little one. Could use the hob I guess but it's just super convenient to do it in there right in her sippy cup in 30 seconds.

Aww thanks So much for that lovely informative post!!
I've been outside trying to sort out said bed in the rafters and even with the new wooden ladder I'm finding it terribly hard to get over that last bit and actually heave myself over the ledge! There must be a knack? The ladder could do with another rung me thinks! Plus I need a grab handle to make hauling easier! (Knees shot to pieces! lol)

I'm just wondering what is under the roof ? If I want to screw a handle on the back wall or onto the roof to help pull myself up! Am I likely to do damage to roof/wall? Spring any leaks?

Cheers
Joy

Upvote 0
OP
OP
JoyJoy

JoyJoy

Free Member
May 10, 2017
South West England
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer
Exp
I'm a newbie
I've been outside trying to sort out said bed in the rafters and even with the new wooden ladder I'm finding it terribly hard to get over that last bit and actually heave myself over the ledge! There must be a knack? The ladder could do with another rung me thinks! Plus I need a grab handle to make hauling easier! (Knees shot to pieces! lol)

I'm just wondering what is under the roof ? If I want to screw a handle on the back wall or onto the roof to help pull myself up! Am I likely to do damage to roof/wall? Spring any leaks? ".........................

I've Just had an Aha! moment re my ladder. !!! I've only got 4 rungs and photos of ladders I've just googled have 6 or even 7! No wonder I'm having probs getting in! Hey ho!

Upvote 0

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
If I want to screw a handle on the back wall or onto the roof to help pull myself up! Am I likely to do damage to roof/wall? Spring any leaks?

Damage? yes in short, I really would prefer to look at the roof before disgarding the idea all together though.

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I have an overcab bed (aka the 'torpedo tube') but rarely use it as I can't sit up in it and I HAVE TO take a brew back to bed in order to stimulate the return of basic speech. I found the easiest way to get up there is to go up the ladder backwards, i.e. facing away from the bed then roll on sideways 'ish.
WRT to the leaky roof light, if it's cracked you can make a temp repair by covering the (Perspex?) opening hood with clingfilm. Failing that, a good dollop of silicone bathroom sealant preferably applied from the outside around the suspect areas does the trick.

I've just had another thought but it depends where you need the extra step; at the top or at the bottom?......My D in Law had the same prob as you and my son put a plastic caravan type doorway step under the bottom of the ladder which made it easier for her to start and climb up the ladder as it gave her another first step and also made the ladder's angle less steep. Later he just screwed or bolted a leg (a bit of 2" x 1" batten) to each of the ladder's side rails which did the same thing as the step.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
JoyJoy

JoyJoy

Free Member
May 10, 2017
South West England
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer
Exp
I'm a newbie
I have an overcab bed (aka the 'torpedo tube') but rarely use it as I can't sit up in it and I HAVE TO take a brew back to bed in order to stimulate the return of basic speech. I found the easiest way to get up there is to go up the ladder backwards, i.e. facing away from the bed then roll on sideways 'ish.
WRT to the leaky roof light, if it's cracked you can make a temp repair by covering the (Perspex?) opening hood with clingfilm. Failing that, a good dollop of silicone bathroom sealant preferably applied from the outside around the suspect areas does the trick.

I've just had another thought but it depends where you need the extra step; at the top or at the bottom?......My D in Law had the same prob as you and my son put a plastic caravan type doorway step under the bottom of the ladder which made it easier for her to start and climb up the ladder as it gave her another first step and also made the ladder's angle less steep. Later he just screwed or bolted a leg (a bit of 2" x 1" batten) to each of the ladder's side rails which did the same thing as the step.

Some great ideas thank you! I could definitely try the ladder step tip! As well as the others. I have moved all the ladder slats and added a couple of new slats as they were very far spaced, poor old knees couldn't cope! Now I'm just trying the best location for it. As for the backward journey up and down the ladder my knees won't bend that way! Lol

Thank you!

Upvote 0
Nov 11, 2016
uk, no fixed abode
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
since 2016
Hi Joy and welcome. Quite chuffed that @movan called me a fellow artist, not sure I'd call myself that but hey ho. I'm a newbie too. My one piece of advice is to use the van before deciding what you need. There are so many gadgets and things people say you must have, you can end up spending a lot of money. Mine did have a solar panel and refillable gas bottles when I bought it. Oven is coming out as storage is more use to me. May depend on how many you intend to cater for, I'm very unsociable and no way will I turn on the oven just for me. No microwave, no TV, going out with the van is in part about a different pace of life for me. Must admit that an overcab bed was something that I definitely did not want. I have two single beds, one for me and one for the watercolour paper. I'd suggest using the overcab bed for similar art storage purposes. And having had to sit an listen so someone's generator, believe me, NOT FUN!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
JoyJoy

JoyJoy

Free Member
May 10, 2017
South West England
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi Joy and welcome. Quite chuffed that @movan called me a fellow artist, not sure I'd call myself that but hey ho. I'm a newbie too. My one piece of advice is to use the van before deciding what you need. There are so many gadgets and things people say you must have, you can end up spending a lot of money. Mine did have a solar panel and refillable gas bottles when I bought it. Oven is coming out as storage is more use to me. May depend on how many you intend to cater for, I'm very unsociable and no way will I turn on the oven just for me. No microwave, no TV, going out with the van is in part about a different pace of life for me. Must admit that an overcab bed was something that I definitely did not want. I have two single beds, one for me and one for the watercolour paper. I'd suggest using the overcab bed for similar art storage purposes. And having had to sit an listen so someone's generator, believe me, NOT FUN!

Nice to meet you @SGNV if that's what it's called! Lol
And Fellow artist! Do you have a website? I've never really got round to it, started a blog once but ran out of time! I'm on Etsy but I'm a leisure painter these days, no hassle!

I wanted an overhead sleeping arrangement to keep the dogs out of my bed! Lol and keep 'downstairs' for eating and painting and enjoying my cuppa!
I used to paint only in watercolours, they are still my passion, very loose and wet in wet, now I'm into oils in a big way, so I'm going to need loads of storage space! Lol
Flew to France last year with art gear, no room hardly for any clothes! Lol
I'm looking forward to just tootling about with my fur kids, painting, journaling, not doing too much of anything!
Don't really want to hang out in campsites but looks like I need to for link up electric. Hey ho!
I'm just very chuffed to have Doris and this new adventure ahead of me!
Cheers
Joy

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back