Paul240

Free Member
Apr 27, 2017
Nivillac
Funster No
MH
Laika
Exp
I was advised to post here, following trying another section on the forum.... My MH has a WC marine.. Holding tank of 45 ish litres .

So emptying here in France isn't an issue as sites and towns are set up for them.....

Planning a UK trip later in the year .... 6-weeks or so. How do you empty these beasts in UK please?

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I had several vans with black tank toilets. I much prefer them to the cassette type. I found a macerater invaluable which allowed me to pump out into any campsite dump that was above ground level. A key to sewerage manholes also helps and many motorway service stations have facilities for coach toilet emptying.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
When we had the RV with a 50 gal black tank, as Dave said, plus we also carried an American waste hog which I stored on the rear ladder.. this was useful when I couldn't get the RV close enough to the dump point to use the macerator. The Aquaroll Wastemaster would also do the job, about £50

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
As above.... But.....

If not the above, and your drain outlet allows...

Bucket (With a lid) and chuck it...

Came in handy with a 5th wheel we had, where by the only emptying was an Elsan well above ground level and waste hog too heavy to lift up.. and at the time we did not have a Macerator..

OP
OP
Paul240

Paul240

Free Member
Apr 27, 2017
Nivillac
Funster No
MH
Laika
Exp
Thanks, familiar with waste master . Guess you have to be careful not to over flow!
Macerator? What's that, some kind of pump that attaches to the outlet?

Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
My RMB has one and I much prefer it to the cassette-type which we had on two hire motorhomes.

As above. We have a macerator pump and hose that connects to the black tank outlet, but have never used this in nearly 4 years of UK trips. The one time I did need it, I had decided not to bring it along. Silly boy! But I got around this by buying a large bucket. The stuff stinks no matter what you do.

Our tank easily lasts a week until it needs emptied, though it is drained after each trip.

It's also worthwhile buying a suitable convoluted hose to attach to your tank outlet. This is then aimed down the manhole and eliminates splatter of the waste as it escapes. You then clean this by attaching it to your grey tank outlet, as you would the macerator.

The above may sound rather involved compared to the relative simplicity of disconnecting and emptying a wheeled cassette, but you only need to this once every trip and, with a little practice, is a quick, easy and clean operation to perform.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Macerator? What's that, some kind of pump that attaches to the outlet?
correct, it chews up the waste and pumps it down a smaller bore pipe..

I was never a big fan of the macerator, you need a fair length of discharge pipe to make them useful, which requires storing, they are also prone to blocking, which requires strip down .. not pleasant when full of crap, and they are quite expensive..

I'd go with a waste hog and see how you get on first..

daved2524

Free Member
Jan 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
5th wheel and a Nissan
Exp
Since April 2016
I was advised to post here, following trying another section on the forum.... My MH has a WC marine.. Holding tank of 45 ish litres .

So emptying here in France isn't an issue as sites and towns are set up for them.....

Planning a UK trip later in the year .... 6-weeks or so. How do you empty these beasts in UK please?

I have a tote tank that holds 18 gallon so I don't have to move the van to empty.

daved2524

Free Member
Jan 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
5th wheel and a Nissan
Exp
Since April 2016
I have a composting toilet and that lasts a few weeks or more. I would not change it. By linking my black tank and gray tank I can last a long time as I would have 64gal capacity.

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
Having had a lot of motorhomes in my time I was a little perturbed when my last van came already spec'd with a black tank. Although the system was slightly different then the systems outlined in the other posts. Mine had a 350L black tank and the macerator was part of the toilet mechanism, when you flush it basically sucks (like an aeroplane) all the contents and you can hear the macerator doing its duty prior to it entering the black tank. I loved the system and it was a must have on the new van, so much better than emptying a cassette every day. I have no issues in the UK as I do not wild camp in the UK so always somewhere to empty on the sites. Could see the challenge if wild camping a lot as already identified we do have the luxury of emptying points scattered around like France etc.
Whist in Spain for 6 months and not moving around I ordered a waste hog and used that, but we restricted the use of the toilet to liquids only which was not an issue as we were on a site with really nice toilet blocks.

Deleted User
I have a tote tank that holds 18 gallon so I don't have to move the van to empty.

You're a better man than I if you can lift that to empty into a raised waste point:)
I used an old roller water carrier and a 3 ins to 1& half ins converter with short pipe.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We had a couple of Rhinoflex waste pipes in our Winnebago. With a combined length of 30ft, we could reach any emptying point on campsites. We emptied the black tank then flushed it through with the grey. There was enough force to push everything up a foot or so into the inconvenient Elsan emptying points British campsites seem to favour.

OP
OP
Paul240

Paul240

Free Member
Apr 27, 2017
Nivillac
Funster No
MH
Laika
Exp
Hi. Thanks all.
I'm on my second trip to UK this year. Both trips, Southern Brittany to Silloth via the tunnel, Forest Row and Derby.
Not had any issues with emptying. Bucket method on CL's. And on C&MH club sites, lift manhole and black then grey.
Darn thing blocked up tho' my stupid fault, wrong bog paper.
An expensive and time consuming error!
It's clear now, but 3 bolts on the emptying valve snapped. So now have studs 'trapped' in the plastic tanks captive threads. Off to an engineers this morning in Silloth..... Fingers crossed.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I have a 160 litre black tank which lasts about 10 days normal use, as has been said it holds a slurry so gravity evacuation through the 40mm spigot is easy. I have a collection of adapters and hoses which enable me to handle most serviced pitch drains. The tank also has a fresh water flush connection and I use this to fill the tank with water and give it a good clean through. It has internal probe sensors which are proving unreliable and I had the Canadian Garnet systems exterior sensors on my old RV. These were great and I am getting a system to fit this winter.

OP
OP
Paul240

Paul240

Free Member
Apr 27, 2017
Nivillac
Funster No
MH
Laika
Exp
I have the van back, £80 lighter but the valve is resecured and the electric step which on bolt had sheared is fixed too, bargain.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back