A further update on our IH (1 Viewer)

Feb 17, 2009
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Since 2006
I posted on here 12 months ago my review comments on our IH. We have now decided to change the van so thought I would provide an update which may be useful to others.

The main reason for our change is the practicality of the IH during the winter months. In the summer the van is perfect but in winter we are finding it restrictive. We like to get away all times of the year, whatever the weather.

To sum up the negatives
  • Very drafty
    • Drafts emulating from behind the fridge. Attempts made by both the dealer and myself have reduced the volume of cold air but it is still evident.
    • Drafts coming from the driver’s area located mainly to the seat belt columns but also emanating from below the driver and passenger seats. As the head end of the bed is located just behind the drivers seats at night you wake up with cold heads. Other IH owners I have spoken to have installed a curtain between the cab and the habitation area for night time.
  • Large door sliding door. An absolute boon in the summer but in the wet or cold weather it’s a nightmare. It’s also a b*gger to get it to shut properly, necessitating slamming which has loosened the fittings on the door window.
  • Cistern fill point is in the boot and high up. Makes filling difficult and uncomfortable without spilling water all over the boot.
  • Rotating cab seats need to be returned to driving position to make the bed at night. Not a biggie except that the front seats become a bit of a dumping ground at night and generally remain that way the next day. Although that probably says more about us than the van!
And in the interests of balance the positives
  • Very few rattles on journeys
  • Comfortmatic auto gearbox. It took a bit of getting used to but makes long journeys much less of a chore.
  • Build of the IH, love the build quality, a solid wood feel, soft close drawers.
  • Large living space and kitchen area
  • Large boot space
  • Size of the van fits easily on our drive

Cheers Al.

Stuartand paula

Free Member
Dec 16, 2016
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
2years
Sorry to hear that you are changing your van but to address a few of your points
You don't have to turn seats round for bed time I just rest pillow on seat or sleep with head to sink,gives me a bit more leg room as I'm 6'2"
Agree that filling toilet is a pain but if you put a bowl under spout when filling that takes care of that (I use a watering can and can fill it in one go?)
The sliding door is a bugger to shut especially if you have the flyscreen fitted and if you slam it to hard the pins on the door contacts break off (evidently a known fault and normally fixed free if not only £25 for part) if when you close the door from the outside just slide to gently and as it nearly closed just push against the backside of door,(this is how fiat service manager showed me and he said I wouldn't have a problem again)
Will have to check the draft problem as I have not encountered it except when I forget to set the dash control to recirculated!?
Hope your next van gives you all you need for happy holidays.
Cheers stuart

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
The draft problem is quite common on the Sevel cab. If you look at the "shut" part on the lower rear edge of the doors you will see a louvred area, which is (usually) the source of the draft. I covered this with a strip of duct tape years ago and no drafts since. I've also heard that on some cabs there is a large round hole beneath the passenger seat which is supposed to be sealed but sometimes isn't; again an unwanted source of drafts.

Shame that these little problems have put you off what looks to be a very nice van. What are you thinking of changing to?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
aldhp21
Feb 17, 2009
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Since 2006
Shame that these little problems have put you off what looks to be a very nice van. What are you thinking of changing to?

Hi Terry, we've opted for an Auto-Sleepers Broadway FB. Pick it up on the 22nd.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Had a look at one of those myself - if we were considering downsizing it would def. be in the running.

Hope it all works out okay, nothing worse than having a new toy break the first time you play with it.:D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back