Who smokes in their motorhome? (1 Viewer)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Link Removed

Cigarette causes motor home blaze

6:20pm Wednesday 27th August 2008
A DISCARDED cigarette was believed to be the cause of a fire in a motor home at a holiday park in Brean at the weekend.
Fire crews from Burnham were called to Warren Farm Holiday Park at around 10pm on Saturday to reports of a blaze.
Crews confirmed on arrival that the fire in the luxury motor home had already been put out - reportedly by holidaymakers at the park.
A fire spokesman said: “Crews carried out a thorough investigation and used a thermal image camera to check for any further signs of fire.
“The cause is believed to be due to a carelessly put out cigarette.”

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
I smoke a pipe in my boat, but then I got the whole of Poole Harbour to put it out with:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
I know a few Funster's who get:drink: steaming :beerchug: in the vans though:winky::roflmto::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

RuthRv

Free Member
Jan 4, 2008
Funster No
yes we do:Smile: it is our home from home, but we ensure that they are put out properly (well at least I do::bigsmile:)
ruth

Jan Pendreigh

Free Member
Feb 23, 2008
Funster No
:Blush:We have all the bad habits. We smoke and drink in the rv but are always very careful about putting the cigs out - for me the worst bit is washing the nicotine off the ceiling. Enjoying while we can - Mr Brown and his fun police will probably outlaw it very soon.
Jan

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
According to all the adverts you see for motorhomes, nobody does. :roflmto:

They all seem to say 'no pets, no smokers'. :Doh:

How come so many motorhomers have dogs then, or don't they call dogs pets. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun

How come so many motorhomers have dogs then, or don't they call dogs pets. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

So true:winky::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Adria 5

Free Member
Jul 23, 2007
Funster No
MH
adria caravan
Exp
dont smoke ::bigsmile: not got a van:cry:

ray:ROFLMAO:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i smoke in ours and shirl may occasionally partake.

smoking roll-ups, its more a challenge keeping them lit than ensuring they are out......:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
dont smoke ::bigsmile: not got a van:cry:

ray:ROFLMAO:

Givin up smokin and sellin your van is the same ------ the first 3 weeks are the worst. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Always thought thats why vans have a roll out awning:thumb:

Both Shirley and I indulge but never in the van or the house - can't stand the smell:wub:

Beachbum

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Hamburg / Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
40 Years
Ann and myself, smoke in the MH. PapaJ is right. No chance of the MH catching fire, as we need a dozen lighters to get through one roll up. Then again, we don't touch the devil's brew. One hobby (vice) is expensive enough, although we do not pay Gordon Brown's prices for smokes. Gibralatar is the cheapest so far. £1.82 for 50g of baccy.

Jan Pendreigh

Free Member
Feb 23, 2008
Funster No
We don't run out of baccy, we run out of lighters! :roflmto: I roll the cigs and have plenty help smoking them. Needless to say, our baccy comes from abroad, the one thing that would make me give up is English prices!

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No

Its a major sales pitch which appeals to the potty brigade and the rather naive.

A few years ago i put my caravan up for sale. I spent a couple of days clearing bits 'n bobs out and generally giving it a thorough clean inside and out. Good job i did it then as a few days later i went down with a wretched virus. I was so ill i never even had a ciggie for almost a week, during which time the phone was ringing like crazy with potential buyers.

Because i was still feeling so rotten, i wasn't smoking at the time the eventual purchaser turned up to view. He told me, "we are so glad we are buying from a non-smoker....all the other caravans we have been to see reek of fags"!!

It cost me 99pence for some furniture polish, and i left the windows open. :ROFLMAO:

finby

Free Member
Oct 3, 2007
norfolk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
about 8
We both smoke, but outside the van - same at home (outside).

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
:RollEyes: i do. Sandy stopped smoking 3 1/2 years ago. :winky:

All our Dutch & German friends are Born Again Non-Smokers.

lady jann

Free Member
Apr 18, 2008
welsh border
Funster No
MH
hymer
Exp
approx 10 yrs
smoking = c o p d !!:Eeek:

c o p d = dead !!:cry:

dead = can t drive motorhome togeather with all associated pleasurs !!:Sad::cry::Doh:

what a waste!! :RollEyes::Smile:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
We've both never smoked, and not fair on the kids so we ask visitors not to smoke in the Bus or House.

They don't mind at all.:thumb:

Plus, all that money not going up in Smoke can be spent on other things.::bigsmile:

Last edited:

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
We both smoke, but outside the van - same at home (outside).
Which is by choice and i can't see anything wrong in that.
It's your van and your house.

However, spare a thought for the landlord of a 'free house' which he owns....but cannot smoke inside. The private taxi driver who owns and maintains his own vehicle, but cannot smoke in that either.....even when not working and using the vehicle for pleasure use only.

Utter madness.

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
All our Dutch & German friends are Born Again Non-Smokers.
You will find their culture and mindset is totally different to that of the UK.

Where the UK treat smokers as social pariahs and outcasts in a somewhat crackpot attempt to force people to stop smoking, Germany and Holland treat them as equals and adults and leave them alone to make their own decisions. The pavement coffee bars in Holland are superbly fitted out with huge parasols and quality tables and chairs with ashtrays on every table with both smokers and non-smokers sitting peacefully together. In the UK you'd be lucky to find a cheap plastic table and chair, let alone a single ashtray.

The ban on smoking in public places has put Holland in a bit of a quandary though to say the least. Cannabis can be bought at most Coffee bars but it has always been illegal to smoke it outside. It can only be smoked inside. When i was in Holland only last month this was still the case and you could still buy a joint and puff merrily away....but indoors!

What 'anti' smoker 'brits' seem to have overlooked entirely is that should the sales of tobacco dramatically fall, they will have to pay increased taxation. Mention that and suddenly the blood begins to boil with veins pulsating!

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Where the UK treat smokers as social pariahs and outcasts in a somewhat crackpot attempt to force people to stop smoking, Germany and Holland treat them as equals and adults and leave them alone to make their own decisions. The pavement coffee bars in Holland are superbly fitted out with huge parasols and quality tables and chairs with ashtrays on every table with both smokers and non-smokers sitting peacefully together. In the UK you'd be lucky to find a cheap plastic table and chair, let alone a single ashtray.

What 'anti' smoker 'brits' seem to have overlooked entirely is that should the sales of tobacco dramatically fall, they will have to pay increased taxation. Mention that and suddenly the blood begins to boil with veins pulsating!

You obviously haven't been to Cornwall recently - both Truro and Newquay in particular are full of well equipped pavement cafes - but I think you will find that the cold wind and driving rain might play a part in their non-use. :Sad:

I also think that the taxation lost from total banning of smoking would be more than covered by the savings in the National Health Service and associated helpers.

The excuses that some people come up with to cover their addiction to the weed never fails to amaze me. :Eeek:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
This thread looks like a smoke screen to me. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
In my early days they told me I'd never be alone with a Strand! .

They lied. :Angry::Sad::cry:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
just a thought.......if i should accidently set fire to the van with one of my roll-ups i could always put it out with all the beer in the fridge...:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Beachbum

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Hamburg / Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
40 Years
Statement by Moandick: I also think that the taxation lost from total banning of smoking would be more than covered by the savings in the National Health Service and associated helpers.

I mentioned in one of my posts a while ago, that it only costs 4p in the £ to the NHS, from the taxation of tabacco, for the treatment of cancer due to smoking. I wonder where the rest of the money goes from this taxation. Smoking does harm onesself. Passive smoking, has been created by the intense media over the years by different groups of people and organisations. Political correctness has become a disease to the point that it brings ordinary folks like us into conflict.
Secondly, my own personal opinion, is that alcohol is more of a problem than smoking. Alcohol is a component for unruly behaviour, fear, anger, driving under the influence, surmounting to taking an innocent life, and downright murder ( all of these coming under the excuse ("I was drunk at the time")
Placing it into perspective, though smoking is a hazzard, I feel putting our energy into alcohol control a far better battle to improve a situation in this world.
I must stress, it is only my opinion. It would be interesting to hear how other members opinions are on this subject. Or, have I started a free for all on this topic.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
Statement by Moandick: I also think that the taxation lost from total banning of smoking would be more than covered by the savings in the National Health Service and associated helpers.

alcohol control a far better battle to improve a situation in this world.
I must stress, it is only my opinion. It would be interesting to hear how other members opinions are on this subject. Or, have I started a free for all on this topic.
i believe that smoking and alcohol are the two hardest drugs to give up
as they are so easily available over the counter on any day of the week no question unless you are or look under 18
mind you it did take a long time to be addicted to smoking
evan harder to stop smoking when i was 40 .
not a day goes by without a thought of rolling the perfect cigarette:restmycase:
drinking i can take or leave but i dont like being drunk:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back