Security camera for house (1 Viewer)

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Anybody recommend a good one, we had some toe rags prowling last night, around the back, think they were after the heating oil from the tank.

We live in the middle of no where, high up on the moors, no where is safe is it?

Want a camera for the side of the house, which can attach to a monitor inside, don't want to pay a fortune but must be really weatherproof, as the weather is atrocious at times.

Regards

Paul.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
We have a Funster who installs home security systems and cameras etc Nice lad, worth a call.:thumb: Broken Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
... and if he can't help you , ask the local police. A lot of them can recommend good companies to be trusted knowing what security you have on your house.

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
We have a Funster who installs home security systems and cameras etc Nice lad, worth a call.:thumb: Broken Link Removed

We have a Swann multi camera system a basic setup but it does work with a lot of tweaking, a fellow funster as Jim mentioned ..Monsi website is http://www.northernsecurity.co.uk is really bees knees and was what we would have liked if time had allowed but we were against the clock ..

Hope this helps

John n Kath

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
if youre looking for a self install system rather than on contract, Maplin sell everything you need. maybe not as cheap as ebay but the warranty is worth more and if you have a store local you can collect same day:thumb:

OP
OP
CazPaul
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
if youre looking for a self install system rather than on contract, Maplin sell everything you need. maybe not as cheap as ebay but the warranty is worth more and if you have a store local you can collect same day:thumb:

Can you just run the wire around the wall and into the house into a plug socket?

Self install is what I was thinking of, may try Maplins, thanks.

Paul.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
absolutely you can just run the wires clipped to the wall and if you opted for the wireless system it would only need power (low voltage)

i wouldn't recommend wireless in a built up area though as everything from neighbours systems to computer networks and cordless phones can cause problems with some installs. stick with a wired system if possible and a good basic system can record to sd card or hard disc

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
you can get reliable external IP camera systems for £70 each, which means you can get live video over wi-fi and even on your android/Iphone away from home, That is the only 21st century system to consider IMHO.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
you can get reliable external IP camera systems for £70 each, which means you can get live video over wi-fi and even on your android/Iphone away from home, That is the only 21st century system to consider IMHO.

As above.. I have a system like this.. Its wireless and I live in the East end of London... Works perfectly and even has sound if required

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We (No 1 son and I) installed Broken Link Removed from Maplins at the back end of last year in a couple of hours.

It works OK and picture quality is pretty good.

We paid rather less as it was on offer so there might be better deals from other suppliers.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Here you go --it's more about the cameras than anything else --I would stick with hard wired a well :winky:
Broken Link Removed
this one has a couple of posh cameras that would cost around 100 quid each if bought as separates -but I still fail to find out anything on the Swan cameras lens wise but do know they are quite good from seeing my mates
Broken Link Removed
Broken Link Removed

they were all marked in my favs after being asked for a camera system that would not break the bank and be half decent :thumb:I am hoping that my other mate buys the Swan system and swops me one of the PTZ ones for one of my fixed ones :ROFLMAO:::bigsmile:
terry

Last edited:
OP
OP
CazPaul
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Here you go --it's more about the cameras than anything else --I would stick with hard wired a well :winky:
Broken Link Removed
this one has a couple of posh cameras that would cost around 100 quid each if bought as separates -but I still fail to find out anything on the Swan cameras lens wise but do know they are quite good from seeing my mates
Broken Link Removed
Broken Link Removed

they were all marked in my favs after being asked for a camera system that would not break the bank and be half decent :thumb:I am hoping that my other mate buys the Swan system and swops me one of the PTZ ones for one of my fixed ones :ROFLMAO:::bigsmile:
terry

Many thanks Terry, some reading there for later.

Paul.

OP
OP
CazPaul
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Thanks to everyone for the great advice and recommendations.

Great stuff, if someone wants your stuff that badly, nothing will deter them, just like if they want our motorhomes, they can bypass anything.

That's the problem with living in the middle of nowhere, they now think ''It will take the police ages to get here, so rich pickings'',

BARSTEWARDS

Paul.

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
I use 5 IP cameras, all liked to the network using Powerline, they cameras are monitored using ispy http://www.ispyconnect.com/

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_yueOtvnnc"]iSpy- Free Camera Security Software - YouTube[/ame]

Its a bit fiddly, but you can set it to record during certain times and there are some filters etc, even facial recognition... I get the video stored on a PC, and copy it to my Google Drive, so even nicking the PC I have a copy...

The cameras are cheap enough, I have two Edimax and some Wanscam (ebay), two of those are static and one is a dome with pan and tilt.

The software is a bit fiddly, but it works...

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CazPaul
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I use 5 IP cameras, all liked to the network using Powerline, they cameras are monitored using ispy http://www.ispyconnect.com/

iSpy- Free Camera Security Software - YouTube

Its a bit fiddly, but you can set it to record during certain times and there are some filters etc, even facial recognition... I get the video stored on a PC, and copy it to my Google Drive, so even nicking the PC I have a copy...

The cameras are cheap enough, I have two Edimax and some Wanscam (ebay), two of those are static and one is a dome with pan and tilt.

Hope that helps.

Yes great help thanks./

Paul.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Saw this thing in one of the S I L mags think its called "Poacher catcher" Battery operated about the size of a mobile phone, has a 10 metre fix, Actually phones your mobile phone to tell you that someone is there, a bit extra dosh and a different SIM Card and it takes a photo of the perp, about ,near or just over, from Memory £400

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Well worth doing. We had idiots throwing eggs at a house we lived in 15 years back. A basic CCTV (with warning signs and stickers!) and we got great video of them. The police got a copy as did their parents .... no more trouble after that.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!

iSpy- Free Camera Security Software - YouTube

Hope that helps.

You can also log onto your home PC via your android phone over the internet using this free programme http://www.teamviewer.com/en/index.aspx to manage the above system whilst you are away or an alternate system like this (free trial available) http://www.crazypixels.com/products/camuniversal

This android programme allows you to log on directly to view in real time your IP cameras from your smartphone, but you have to open up the relevant ports on your home router https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rcreations.WebCamViewerPaid

if you have 'push' email installed on your smartphone you can get an instant alert every time the camuniversal has a security zone triggered.Then immediately view your cameras in real time via the webcam viewer programme on your phone.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back