Warning faulty LPG gas cylinders (1 Viewer)

redlorry321

Free Member
May 2, 2014
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Hi, as a new member I wanted to seek other member advice but also to flag a warning. When I bought my used motor home I had it fully serviced, new MoT and also paid for a habitation check which included all gas appliances and fittings. Everything seemed to work fine and I went for a 3 day break to check all was well with the motor home. This was a prelude to a 2 month tour of Europe down to southern Italy. I'd filled up the twin LPG gas cylinders at Dover and started my tour. The following week I was going through the lower Alps in Provence en route to Nice. As I was tired from the driving, I pulled over in an Aire and went for a sleep on board. I started to wake feeling extremely groggy - the cabin was full of gas - I barely made it out and collapsed on the grass outside. It was a very hot summer's day with outside temperatures in excess of 30 degrees C. When I eventually felt well enough to get up, I checked the 2 LPG gas cylinders and both stop cocks were fully turned off and shouldn't have leaked gas.
I got no support from the provider of the Gas equipment (not mentioning any names at the moment) and it left my confidence badly shaken, not to mention if I hadn't woken up in time I probably wouldn't be writing this now!

Eventually, when I returned back to England, the gas equipment provider investigated and found that both Gas safety stop cock valves had been screwed down TOO FAR and impacted on the internal safety mechanism. Every cylinder has a mechanism which is located internally that allows filling with LPG to 80% only. The remaining 20% is a margin of safety. The engineer told me that because the stop cock valves had been screwed down all the way (should have stopped about 1 cm from the end) then this prevented the safety mechanism from being activated and as a result both tanks became over pressurised to 100%. The engineer told me that this is likely to have happened at their factory and when I got to the south of France the higher temperatures probably triggered the regulator to discharge the gas. He also found there were several holes in the compartment that vented to the inside of the cabin - again a poor installation.

I'm not sure what I can do in this situation as the gas equipment provider wants to wash their hands of it and hush it up. The Gas Habitation check never picked up on this, even though I got a nice certificate saying everything was safe and in order - so left me with a ticking time bomb. Potentially, I don't think most motorhomers would know about this at all - there is a lot of trust from the consumer on the providers to get it right - but mistakes are made. So all I can ask is that members who read this get their gas cylinders double checked to make sure the stop cock valves on top of each cylinder are adjusted and sealed to the correct distance from the top of the cylinder housing to allow the safety mechanism inside to operate correctly to 80% of max pressure. I foolishly believed that once the stop cock valves had been tightened to the fully closed position i.e. shut off fully, that there could be no escape of gas. This is not the case and the gas regulator system will still allow gas to escape even with these stop cock valves fully closed.

There have been fatalities due to faulty gas equipment - last year I read that a family were killed by this type of event whilst sleeping on a boat. The gas equipment supplied is similar.
So all I can do is flag this as a warning based on my own experience. I would welcome constructive comments from the forum. RedLorry321 (new to site)

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
:whatthe: OMG.... another thing for me to worry about...:Doh::Doh::cry::cry: I'm paranoid as it is...:Sad:

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
I have had two Gaslow cylinders leak where the tap assembly is attached to the tank. Both replaced under warranty without quibble, but makes me wonder about quality control.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
:Sad:So would squirting with that leak stuff that bubbles up be a safe thing to do every couple of weeks or so, then? If so can you tell me what the stuff is called please and where to get it?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
:Sad:So would squirting with that leak stuff that bubbles up be a safe thing to do every couple of weeks or so, then? If so can you tell me what the stuff is called please and where to get it?

Water with a bit of washing liquid does the same job.. just squirt it about the valve and connections... watch for small bubbles..

but your nose is an excellent detector..LPG stinks.. ( the smell, or stench is added at the refinery to enable easy leak detection) poke it into the locker every once in a while .. especially after filling..

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
the gas equipment provider investigated and found that both Gas safety stop cock valves had been screwed down TOO FAR and impacted on the internal safety mechanism
I welcome and thank you for the warning but what type of cylinder are they? Gaslow, Alugas, Gas It or other? The warning will be more valid if directed at owners of the particular cylinders.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Hello and welcome, what an intro

Glad you survived, but it highlights an issue of expectation, what does a habitation check cover, I for one would not expect it to include the gas tanks

It would expect it to cover combustible gas related areas, fridge, hob and oven, and maybe a visual check of gas cylinders, nothing more on the gas side

There will be other checks / tests damp for one, hopefully electrical safety checks, but maybe I am over optimistic in this

I am surprised that gas could build up so much inside, have you checked to see if the floor vents have been covered by a previous owner?

What did you do for gas while you were away after this experience?

Just re-read the OP, you say it was really hot, when did this happen?

Last edited:

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
:whatthe: OMG.... another thing for me to worry about...:Doh::Doh::cry::cry: I'm paranoid as it is...:Sad:

Joy if you cannot smell it just sit back and relax as this is one in a million and a bit over egged in my opinion

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I am in no way belittling the original post, but certain parts dont make sense. the 80% cutout device is on the inlet not connected to the cylinder isolation valve. the regulator would over pressure and lock up, not release gas. and lpg is far heavier than air and especially in hot weather would drop out the bottom of the gas locker

sounds far more like carbon monoxide from a faulty appliance being lit. as already mentioned lpg stinks by default and your natural gag reflex would wake you long before you suffocated.

always a good idea though to fit a gas detector, not for knockout gas, but lpg and Carbon monoxide. they are available from under £20 so it makes sense

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
DON'T PANIC PEOPLE.

That was a string of faults.

One or two cylinders had been damaged causing overfilling.

The installation was sub standard with venting into the interior.

And the bad luck, before any gas was used he moved to a much hotter climate causing the safety pressure relief valve to vent.

By chance he was asleep when it vented otherwise he may have heard it.

He had a poor hab check person who did not spot the gas path into the interior.

By all means check your systems but the chances of another FUNster having this problem is small.

Do not think that if you go squirting soapy water and see no bubbles you are safe. This particular fault would occur only: with faulty cut off valves, after filling then moving from a cold to hot climate.

You can do a reasonable cut off valve check if you run out of gas and make sure when the pump stops you have not taken more than 80% of the tank capacity. Gaslow advise this on the first fill.

And finally, being the sceptic I am, why does this person make this his first post here ? "Oh I've been gassed, I must find a motorhome site to report this on". Equally it could be someone "I hate motorhomers, lets scare the sh$t out of some of them". I am probably wrong here but it's a funny world we inhabit.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Equally it could be someone "I hate motorhomers, lets scare the sh$t out of some of them". I am probably wrong here but it's a funny world we inhabit.

:whatthe:Brian,
you are psychic... I was just thinking the same thing...:whatthe::whatthe::whatthe: scarey stuff...!!!!

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
:whatthe:Brian, you are psychic... I was just thinking the same thing...:whatthe::whatthe::whatthe: scarey stuff...!!!!

Scared you. You don't need that.

Mr Big1 has made really important point on this, the tap is on the outlet, the cut off is on the inlet. It would have to be weird design for the two to interact.

His carbon monoxide falls over because the guy says both tapes were off.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011

Fairy liquid and water will highlight even quite small leaks, but as the OP implied, the leak didn‘t occur until the bottles were subjected to a higher temperature situation. Unless you could replicate this scenario, it‘s doubtfull if a leak would be apparent.
I can‘t really conceive how over tightening the stop valve may damage the pressure relief valve which is part of the same assembly, unless you were built like Garth, but for that to coincide with a faulty 80% fill mechanism too is very bad luck.
Gas bottles will dump gas to atmosphere if they are subject to excessive heating, the thinking is better a short blast of gas rather than a cylinder exploding, which is why you must have vents as low down as possible in your gas locker and also why lpg leaks on boats can be more dangerous.There is a video on Youtube of an RV on fire and you can hear the gas pressure relief valve venting followed by a surge of flame but fortunately no big explosion.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
i am pleased that the OP survived to tell a tale. i have however read the OP a few times now, and, there are a few things i dont quite understand and would welcome clarification from the OP.

the filling port thus connected to the 80% shut off valve is not connected to or the same part as the stop cock to regulator. so if the stop cock was off how does gas get to the regulator, its not a valve operated on pressure its a mechanical closure.

if the overfill valve was at fault then presumably gas could return out through the filling hose to the filling valve, which if it does not have a non return valve would gas out to the outside of the van or onto the locker ( vented to floor ) if fitted in the gas locker.

so i dont understand how this can happen as posted.

will the OP please help clarify this.

Just had a thought if it was a Safefill bottle ( that is the portable refillable type ) these have the filler and regulator connection as one the same see pic below.

Attachments

• safefill.jpg
    safefill.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
mind you see full gas bottles in the full heat of the sahara and they arent blowing off gas .
and they very often do over fill them . well over 80%. seen lots weighed after they have had eu bottles filled over there .
people leave their empty bottle by the road the gas truck comes and changes the bottle .the money is under the empty bottle . no one steels it . it is a arab country but they arent thieves .

Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
Lets hope this is not someone that carries out hab checks and is short on business, mighty strange first post in my opinion, bet we don't hear from them again..:ROFLMAO:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
And finally, being the sceptic I am, why does this person make this his first post here ? "Oh I've been gassed, I must find a motorhome site to report this on". Equally it could be someone "I hate motorhomers, lets scare the sh$t out of some of them". I am probably wrong here but it's a funny world we inhabit.

Right to be sceptical.. always keep an open mind.. but no reason to believe the OP has an ulterior motive..

Let's hear what he has to say before we blast him out the water ...hopefully he comes back to answer the questions..

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks

Simply called gas leak detector available in arosol form or little pump up bottles from e-bay or any plumbers merchants

preferred and recommended by the gas sector to washing up liquid,as it does the job better, its as simple as that.
If you dont have any "Proper Fluid" soap and water is better than nothing such leak test should be carried out at every cylinder change if exchange cylinders are used, and two or three times a season if an installed system is used IMHO
The very nature of gas, sealed pipework and joints are alien to each other when used in a vibrating environment such as a motor vehicle
the pic below shows my installed RV domestic gas tank, no leaks were ever detected whilst in use the previous summer and this leak occurred whilst the vehicle was parked up over the winter, as stated in other posts my nose suspected a leak just walking passed the RV. the fluid however pinpointed it,
In anticipation of the question, the Fluid is better because it has better surface tension properties than soap and water and better cling characteristics,
Any one willing to deny children's bubble make better bubbles thanfairy liquid and water
Why??? its made for the job
G

Attachments

• 20140406_122351.jpg
    20140406_122351.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 75
Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Two teaspoons of sugar added to the Fairy / water mix turns it into a good substitute for kiddies bubble solution, just something you might have to hand rather than nipping out to the Plumbcentre and you can keep the grandkids amused while you nip up the joints :Smile:

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
I am presuming this is LPG he is talking about?

Something doesn't seem quite correct as LPG is heavier than air and therefore sinks and does not rise. That is why cylinder storage compartments are placed low down, usually lower than the habitation area.

We had a loose pipe connection when in Holland and the gas sank, and killed a mole underneath the vehicle.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
it does say warning faulty lpg gas cylinders .
never mind we all make mistakes .
be it butane or propane ,its all lpg.

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
it does say warning faulty lpg gas cylinders .
never mind we all make mistakes .
be it butane or propane ,its all lpg.

Yes, I realized that after I'd posted, but at 67 I'm allowed to make the occasional mistake, so my wife informs me.

Biged

Free Member
Sep 21, 2012
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
No longer looking
Exp
Don't use detergent!
It has salt in it as a water softener and as such is corrosive.
If you can't get hold of proper gas leak detection fluid then use a soap water solution, and remember to wipe that off :thumb:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Two teaspoons of sugar added to the Fairy / water mix turns it into a good substitute for [HI]kiddies bubble solution[/HI], just something you might have to hand rather than nipping out to the Plumbcentre [HI]and you can keep the grandkids amused while you nip up the joints[/HI] :Smile:
but nowhere near anyones awning or tent, as the soap in the bubbles melts the waterproofing and ruins the fabric:thumb:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
yes, it will be my turn soon .
remember adventure with dementia .wake up in a new place every day.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back