Fitting LED tape lighting. (1 Viewer)

Apr 7, 2014
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Since Jan 2014
Now we have officially introduced ourselves to the "FUN", I would like to begin with asking all you experienced Motorhomers about the fitting of LED tape lighting.
We have an Autotrail Mohican and would like to replace the "12" concealed flurescent tube 12v light fittings with this new fangled Led tape.
I am told this will dramatically reduce the power required from my leisure batteries.
As the majority of these tubes are continuous around the lounge area, would it be advisable to have a continuous line which amounts to approx 8 mts, or to cut the tape in individual strips of 12 led's and wire these from the wiring from each of the original individual tubes.
Would this need to be done by a professional or would I (an average DIYer) be able to do this.
Hoping someone who has done this can point me in the right direction. Ken.

Voyger1010

Free Member
Oct 25, 2013
UK
Funster No
Hi , I have fitted 12v LED's to the awning with absolutely no problem so replacing the tubes with the led's should be fairly straightforward as a DIY job. Found this for you as well, have a look [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAMPQrAu0aI"]HOW TO: Convert Fluorescent RV Lights to LEDs - YouTube[/ame]
bear in mind that it an American, but the fundamentals are the same ., I personally wouldn't make it a one strip light of 8ft, but it's your choice , the one I put on the awning rail was 5 metres and you can cut the strip as shown in the film above.
Hope it helps enjoy:Smile:

Upvote 0
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Ken can you take and post a couple of photo's of your presently fitted lighting and what year is the van. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Torchy
Apr 7, 2014
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Since Jan 2014
Stewart. Our van is in storage at the moment, but shall be away in it tomorrow for the weekend. I shall try and take some pics while away, which may be difficult as they are situated above each of the 8 high cupboards above the lounge area and cab area. If you needed to change the tubes it would seem impossible as you cannot see the tubes only feel them from between the roof and the cupboards as there is only a 1-2in gap.
By the way it is year 2000.
I shall try and post pics over the weekend or if not Monday. Ken.

Upvote 0

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
over a Year Yay................
Im considering a similar job in mine as I wish to install some nice smart leds aswell as replace the tubes with leds.
Having been out in mine today & tinkered fixing some bad electrics installed by a previous owner I know know which wires are for my lighting circuits.

I used a Sealy PP100 & dropped a light & removed the panel to reveal the electrics & some simple colour coding & probing quickly told me which was which so when I come to plan my lights I already know where they are going to be wired in...

Upvote 0

Wild Oggie

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E462
Exp
Mid 70's
Hi Ken, great idea changing to strip LED. I used 2 seperate 5 metre strips on my conversion.
Each strip comes with 1 connector which you can join to your original wiring system. You can as you say use several small lengths which you can then solder to said wiring.
We chose the 2core strip some are 4 core. 2core being simple + -
Also consider using warm white as bright white may be to harsh
Best of luck

Attachments

• 20140226_173456.jpg
    20140226_173456.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 111
Upvote 0

Sift

Free Member
Mar 30, 2014
Ringwood, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2014 :O
Hi Ken, great idea changing to strip LED. I used 2 seperate 5 metre strips on my conversion.
Each strip comes with 1 connector which you can join to your original wiring system. You can as you say use several small lengths which you can then solder to said wiring.
We chose the 2core strip some are 4 core. 2core being simple + -
Also consider using warm white as bright white may be to harsh
Best of luck
Not even unwrapped the cushions yet. Looks like a scene out of Dexter ;)

Cheers,
Lee.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Torchy
Apr 7, 2014
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Since Jan 2014
Stewart. There are two switches for the lounge area. One operates 2 on the offside and 1 on the near side. And the other operates 2 on the offside and 3 on the near side. I suppose this is to give you the option to minimise power usage.
There is one switch which operates the kitchen area.
I think this is what is confusing me. Ken.

Upvote 0

LARRY99

LIFE MEMBER
May 27, 2011
South wales
Funster No
MH
C class Rv/ Dethleff
Exp
Ages
I used these. eBay 350915763966

Then pick up a 12v supply. ( from a existing light?). In line fuse , then use the remote supplied ,,

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 53
Upvote 0
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Provided you can access and change the existing lights then go for self adhesive LED strip lighting in warm white and the 5050 type (10 mm wide), you now have 2 more choices waterproof or not, if you go waterproof you will need to trim back the silicone coating 5-6 mm for the electrical connector.

LED lighting is very bright compared to what you now have, I would consider fitting a rf dimmer to each circuit these are relatively cheap and easily fitted they come with a remote so one remote would control either or both. Being rf unlike a tv remote do not need line of sight to work but a radio signal so can be hidden out of sight in a locker or whatever.

You may also need to raise the led's (Ie they will probably be to low attached directly to the top of the lockers, in our previous van I bought some 10mm wide self adhesive white plastic rectangular section cable conduit (B & Q) fit the conduit then fix the led strip to flat conduit cover, this has advantage of easy fitting then fix led strip to cover and clip in place.

I have provided Ebay links to some of the items

LED connectors (snap on type no soldering required.
Broken Link Removed

RF Dimmer
Broken Link Removed

This is the led strip I purchased for my own project as mentioned its the waterproof 5050 type so a craft knife is needed to trim back the silicone type waterproof covering for the connectors to work.
Broken Link Removed

I have no connection with any of the above products or sellers other than having purchased from them and found all very good and prompt deliveries, it is just to give you an idea of what you require. You may find other sellers offering the same or similar products cheaper. Should you purchase the 3528 led strip you will need differant connectors to link provided.

ATB

Stewart

Upvote 0

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
I have just bought these Broken Link Removed
To do the same on my van.

John

Upvote 0

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
over a Year Yay................
Im following this thread but I have my eye on these [ame="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=261463620505"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=261463620505[/ame]

Upvote 0

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
i have changed a few of my lights to these led strips and they work great i also attached a strip to the underside of my windout awning and they take place of my outside light i am about to put more inside the van my 2d lights i just took the tibes out and put the led strips in and stuck them around the fitting also buy from ebay i saw the same strips i buy at Peterborough for £40 on ebay its a fraction of the price :Smile:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back