New motorhome - what else do i need to do (1 Viewer)

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
New to this, so we are meant to pick up our chausson 510 on the 10th May. It hasn't been confirmed as arriving at the dealers yet.

I have taken out insurance, booked a campsite for the 10th. What else do i have to do? I read on various posts about the dvla. Do i send anything to them? Or do the dealers? My dealers are quite laid back and just said the insurance is needed. Should i be chasing them to see if it is in or will they contact me? Is a week long enough to get all the options fitted and be ready for the 10th?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Ooooo ... exciting isn't it! ::bigsmile:

The dealers need the insurance as without it they can't get it ready for the 'road' for you, including getting it registered, taxed, number plates made so you shouldn't need to do anything yourself. However I would have wanted to be SURE that I was getting it on 10th May and that it had already arrived at the dealers before organising it, as it if doesn't arrive then for some reason you could find you're wasting your insurance period. :Sad:

Why not give them a ring and check everything is on schedule and that they have remembered the bits and pieces you want fitting - once when we got to the dealer for our new MH they had forgotten to fit the wind-out awning which we got as part of our purchase negotiations ... :Doh:

OP
OP
Spidey
Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
They have assured me they are confident (talked to them last week). I know ot is stupid i am spending a lot of money but feel i am hassling them if i phone up again:Blush: It must be a British thing. I have emailed them today, but they said they didn't need to know about insurance! When doing the Tax the dvla are aware of it being insured :Confused:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
To get insurance you will need the Motorhome chassis number or the number plate. Below is how it went for us;

Our dealers gave us the chassis number as soon as the MH arrived with them. I then arranged insurance, simultanously the dealers sent all the paperwork off the DVLA. We waited about 10 days for DVLA to do their stuff then DVLA sent the V5, followed by the tax disk to our home address.

Meanwhile the dealers fitted the awning for us. Once we had the V5 we told the dealer what the reg number was and they made up and fitted the plates. We then informed the insurance Co what the reg was.

Then went to dealer, had a demo of the MH and drove it away.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I know ot is stupid i am spending a lot of money but feel i am hassling them if i phone up again:Blush:

Lose that attitude immediately. The customer is always right but the dealer will walk all over you given a chance.

When you go to pick it up, it will be quite a steep learning curve so easy to bamboozle you but if they are making excuses or "bring it back for...." remember who is boss. Refuse delivery if you want.

Remember once you've paid up you've lost your biggest weapon.

Although forget the above if your dealer is John's Cross.

OP
OP
Spidey
Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
I see, we already have the reg number, that maybe speeds up the system. I am probably panicking and everything is going smoothly :RollEyes: ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
Spidey
Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
Lose that attitude immediately. The customer is always right but the dealer will walk all over you given a chance.

When you go to pick it up, it will be quite a steep learning curve so easy to bamboozle you but if they are making excuses or "bring it back for...." remember who is boss. Refuse delivery if you want.

Remember once you've paid up you've lost your biggest weapon.

Although forget the above if your dealer is John's Cross.

You are right , must be more assertive :Smile: it is just because i feel at a disadvantage not knowing everything. But i will be ready to spend as much time as i like inspecting the van. ::bigsmile:

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
............. the dealers fitted the awning for us.

If you want an awning fitted - might be worth checking what they will charge to supply and fit against what Johns Cross motorhomes charge - as you get a funster discount with them.

The one thing you want to do, is to book one of the meets either my birthday bash or Newbury to try it out. At least there will be funsters with vast experience around you should anything go wrong.

Make sure you try absolutely everything out and check everything before driving the motorhome away for the first time.

Dont forget - this includes - checking all the shelves are in the fridge/freezer and cooker.

Sep 21, 2013
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since Apr 2013
Hope it gets there on time for you. As others say stay positive and don't take the bull from the salesman.

This might sound stupid but when you take delivery and the salesman shows you round and points out the 50,000 things you need to remember have a video camera with you & record it all so you can review whats been told you when you cant remember what button does what.

All the best and loads of fun in your new home.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Just wondered if it would be worth ordering and downloading Jim's Motorhome Buyers Guide, could give you that bit extra confidence for the handover and a idea of any questions you have not thought of, if you have a kindle get a preview and see if you think it may help.

Most of all don't let the dealer rush or fob you off, make sure at least you write down for your self and ask any questions on the handover, out of curiosity which dealer are you buying it from.

OP
OP
Spidey
Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
Highbridge, they have a very good reputation and the sales people were lovely. I am sure the hand over day will go smoothly, i think i am panicking because it so much money. Also i have to drive the tow car home and my OH will be driving the MH. I hate driving the big car and he is really nervous about driving the van. At least we will be on our own feeling nervous ::bigsmile:

Good idea about videoing, when we got the caravan 4 years ago we forgot nearly everything he told us. Wonder how much videoing i can do on the phone :RollEyes:

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
I have visions Spidey of you pacing up and down like an expectant father on a maternity ward :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Good luck for the collection

OP
OP
Spidey
Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
Unfortunately that will my hubby, looks like i will be doing the painful bit again being a women:Blush:

OP
OP
Spidey
Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
It does feel like a new member of the family. Really attached to our caravan and feel really guilty trading her in. In our last trip over easter we didn't talk about the new kid coming, it felt wrong. :RollEyes:

But so excited and it is great i can ask all my stupid questions here :Blush:

Really looking forward to our first rally, never been on one before.::bigsmile:

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
over a Year Yay................
Just crack on with it we did
best to learn as you go pick it up get home & chuck in some essentials & go...::bigsmile:

were 3 months in & still learning but its gotten easier as we go however the hardest part has been her indoors :ROFLMAO: as I have to do the leg work & issue some simple instrucion like chok the wheels & wait half an hour:ROFLMAO:

Luckily we already had a load of camping gear to start us up but as weve gone on weve worked out what we need & what we can do with out.

Good luck.............

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Forgot to mention, we got a fire extinguisher with the MH, but no smoke detector or CO alarm fitted. You'll need to buy those.

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Can confirm that no smoke or carbon monoxide detector in new Chaussons just the fire extinguisher & emergency tyre repair kit instead of spare tyre. Most salesmen are friendly & helpful before you buy but not always so bothered afterwards! Highbridge do have a good reputation but we have only bought caravan spares & had one caravan service there so don't know about their aftersales as they couldn't supply the model of Chausson that we chose. We had a long journey to pick up our motorhome so we did ring & email regularly to chase & check up on things & even then still not all completely sorted on the day. Hopefully your experience will be better than ours & it's a big purchase so it's better to check than worry - any good dealer should appreciate that. It was a whole new world for us too & a big change from caravanning but the freedom especially for short breaks & touring staying at multiple sites for just a couple of nights is really great. It takes a while to adjust to a smaller space than in a caravan (especially with 3 of us in a 6m motorhome) but we keep finding things & ways to make life easier & when our son goes off to uni it will seem spacious just for 2:Smile: I do miss having a car when away a little bit but we are walking & cycling more & getting better at picking sites that are well located so we don't have to go off site unless we want to. We are still more like caravanners in a motorhome than motorhomers but with experience hopefully we will get more confident & that should change. If all this hasn't sent you to sleep just wanted to say that you are right to take as much time as you want to check & try everything at the dealers as it is exciting & when you get shown things first nothing much may sink in - it didn't for us!

Last edited:

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Forgot to mention, we got a fire extinguisher with the MH, but no smoke detector or CO alarm fitted. You'll need to buy those.

Contact your local fire brigade

they fitted a brand new smoke detector in our motorhome free of charge

If you are coming to my birthday meet or Kent motorhomeshow I think I have a CO2 alarm spare for sale

chrisgog

Free Member
Dec 24, 2010
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs
Exp
Hi, we are in same boat as you as picking our new van up on the 12th. We are trading in our old van so we are dropping the old van to them on the 6th to give them time to transfer gaslow bottles, solar panels etc to new van. We always make a list of our requirements and hand them in to the fitters personally and look in the van with them to see where we want the extra plug, gas filler etc .

We put a deposit down and arranged a date. I then phoned our insurer and they sent a cover note to our dealer direct. This is normal practice. The dealer then has the insurance note to get the van taxed. The dealer sorts out the road tax and log book for registration. They do the PDI and they also take it to Fiat to do their PDI so there is a lot to do after it arrives at the dealers.

If things are not right then you can decline the van if damaged etc or not as ordered so do a thorough check when you pick it up. Just take a notebook, camera and
make notes.

Our van is in stock so date was sorted but if you are expecting a new van then the arrival date can be later than you have arranged. Don't assume it will arrive on that date!

Can I suggest that you double check the log book with your dealer that they include that your van is euro 5 or 4 . This is essential if you intend to travel through Austria if van is over 3.5ton otherwise they assume you are euro 3 and pay higher tolls. If not travelling abroad don't worry about that.

Also ask if they can put Euro number plates on as this saves you having to put a GB sticker on the back.

The first thing I have bought for our van is wing mirror protectors as never had mirrors with indicators before so don't want any damage. Bought them from Mirror guard.

Don't forget when you drive the van home that you will be in the club so if a Motorhomer waves at you give him/her a wave back. Enjoy your van. We loved our Chausson.
Chris

chrisgog

Free Member
Dec 24, 2010
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs
Exp
Remembered that there is no electric cable, gas bottles in new vans so make sure you empty your caravan. They will fit a battery in van for you.

Make sure that there is a radio in the cab or ask about one as not always provided.
enjoy
chris

OP
OP
Spidey
Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
We put a deposit down and arranged a date. I then phoned our insurer and they sent a cover note to our dealer direct. This is normal practice. The dealer then has the insurance note to get the van taxed. The dealer sorts out the road tax and log book for registration. They do the PDI and they also take it to Fiat to do their PDI so there is a lot to do after it arrives at the dealers.
Chris

With a new van is it different? They said they don't need any insurance details, i will contact them and ask just in case.

Can I suggest that you double check the log book with your dealer that they include that your van is euro 5 or 4 . This is essential if you intend to travel through Austria if van is over 3.5ton otherwise they assume you are euro 3 and pay higher tolls. If not travelling abroad don't worry about that.
Chris

Thanks didn't know about that.

Also ask if they can put Euro number plates on as this saves you having to put a GB sticker on the back. Chris

Excellent idea,

The first thing I have bought for our van is wing mirror protectors as never had mirrors with indicators before so don't want any damage. Bought them from Mirror guard.
Chris

I will check that out, don't want any damage either, thanks

OP
OP
Spidey
Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
Contact your local fire brigade

they fitted a brand new smoke detector in our motorhome free of charge

If you are coming to my birthday meet or Kent motorhomeshow I think I have a CO2 alarm spare for sale

Thanks i will contact ours and ask :thumb:

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Picked up our best of flash 10 last month. We did get a smoke and co alarm included an electric lead cab internal blinds (on suckers) so just the gas bottle needed to get going so wait and see what you get before buying other stuff.Our handover was great we already knew how a lot of stuff worked as our last was a chausson as well but still picked up a few tips.So far no problems enjoy yours don't worry if it goes as smoothly as ours you will have happy memories of your first trip.As far as I know all new motorhomes are euro5 now unless ver old stock yours cant be its a new model.

David

OP
OP
Spidey
Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
Very exciting phoned the Highbridge and my motorhome is coming in tomorrow ::bigsmile:

They don't need insurance details as now it is all computerised :Smile:

They are confident for the 10th, so cross fingers, as we are booking a campsite.::bigsmile:

::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
You are right , must be more assertive :Smile: it is just because i feel at a disadvantage not knowing everything. But i will be ready to spend as much time as i like inspecting the van. ::bigsmile:

As I said, it's a steep learning curve, all the switches, taps, drains, cassettes. Two hours minimum if they are doing the job properly. You want to see heat, cooker, fridge, oven, shower, basins, toilet, awning (?), gas, grey waste, lighting, electric hook up, charging all demonstrated working. A simulation will do for the toilet, mind you, you may will need it with this workload.

If you have anything that could record that handover it could be invaluable later when you get over your hangover and have forgotten everything.

And the you can fall back on FUN.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Good idea to check theres a spare key to raise and lower the table and one for the bed (specific to this type of motorhome)

David

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We travelled 250 miles from East Yorkshire to Highbridge when we bought a Chausson Flash 04 from them ... they gave us £3000 more in px than anyone else so it certainly was worth the trip for that alone! However, we knew they had a good reputation too and that was certainly the case, when we had a problem with the electrics in our some time later, hubby rang them and the technician took the time to explain what we needed to do to sort it out (it was a hidden fuse that had blown). When our door retainer bust (bad design by Chausson) Highbridge sent us out a new one without any problem whatsoever. The ONLY problem we had was with the miserable 'woman' in the servicing section who we had to go and see when we first arrived for the 'handover' so she could get hold of the technician for us ... she was even worse than Victor Meldrew ... must have been having a bad day!!! :RollEyes: The technician himself was great, as we'd gone such a distance we arrived at 9.00 am and left the van and went out in a loan car for a few hours to the sea-side. He moved over our solar panel, Gaslow bottle etc and, even though we hadn't bought a bike rack from them as I had a second hand one which we'd taken, he fitted that for us without a murmur too, then later explained how everything worked just in case we didn't know - we couldn't have had a better hand-over.:thumb:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Ooooo ... just remembered, check if you get a discount from Highbridge for anything you buy in the shop - when we got our MH from them, we were told we could have 10% off anything on hand-over day! :thumb:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Also i have to drive the tow car home and my OH will be driving the MH. I hate driving the big car and he is really nervous about driving the van. At least we will be on our own feeling nervous ::bigsmile:

Why don't you drive the MH and let him drive the car? In the MH you have "right of size" - I always preferred driving a minibus or the big MH to any car.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back