Advice Please - Leisure Battery Not Charging (1 Viewer)

Dotplus6

Free Member
Oct 4, 2013
N. Ireland
Funster No
MH
Swift Royale 540 (1995)
Exp
4 yrs in total but not consecutively. Just bought the 3rd.
Drove home newly bought MH last night - 3/4 - 1 hrs drive and leisure battery is still completely flat. As I have owned an MH before, if I recall correctly this is not normal. I will of course stick the lead in today & see if it charges but does anyone know what the cause of this could be & how easily it can be fixed, if necessary.

BTW - It's a Bailey 760 & first impressions are - lovely, comfy van; lacking in garage style storage space (which we knew about & decided to compromise on); bigger than I thought & was extremely nervous driving it especially as there was a queue of traffic gathering behind me as I struggled to go over 40MPH (I felt rather carefree in the last one which was just .5 metre shorter) & lastly, it was really quite a noisy drive - lots of rattles which I will investigate further today - did find a loose pan in the oven & took oven shelf out when I stopped at a friends house, but there were still some rattles that will drive me insane if I don't get them managed. Either that or ear muffs will be required.

Thanks in advance for any advice on battery.

Dot

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Dot the LB COULD BE GOOSED :Eeek: if they fitted a relay it should have had a half decent charge -as you say put it on hook up and charge --have you got a multi meter ?-not going into readings at this stage--- if not try your local motor spares shop and ask them to test the battery,they should do this free of charge in the hope of selling you a new battery :winky:
If you need a new one see if this will fit Broken Link Removed
:Smile:
terry

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Don't know about the Bailey range in particular but after a good run like you had I would expect the battery to be fully charged.

One way of checking is to put a Multi meter on the battery terminals and see what voltage is being recorded. then whilst running the engine, take another reading and see what voltage you get then, if it's around 13.8 - 14.2 volts then the charger is working and the battery could be faulty. If you get the same voltage as the first reading then the system is not charging.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
D

Dotplus6

Free Member
Oct 4, 2013
N. Ireland
Funster No
MH
Swift Royale 540 (1995)
Exp
Hi Dot the LB COULD BE GOOSED :Eeek:
terry

Hi Terry - thanks for info - the new one says it has 4 year guarantee - do you think the existing one would still be under guarantee as the guy I bought it off had bought it new last July? Will see when I charge it.

Dot

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
The only way to check the battery is to apply a 'load' test, which most dealers can do for you. Before shelling out for another battery, the charge being delivered to it should be checked out in case something may have come adrift.

Alan

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
Dot,
We are the owners of a Bailey 625 so I know some of your problems.

Firstly the battery, why do you say the LB is completely discharged? Is the panel over the door working?
The Bailey split charge system is poor and one and a half hour isn't enough to fully charge the battery, but should have been enough to get the battery to a usable state.
The most likely problem is that a fuse or fuses have blown. However replacing them may not help if the underlying problem is a knackered battery as a fuse may blow to protect the charging system.
You need to read the voltage on the LB before making any other decisions. If the LB is discharged to a very low level it will be impossible to recharge to anything like its former glory. But taking out the LB and attempting to recharge it on the bench would be a good start.

As for the running noises, the grill pan and rack definately needs the tea towel treatment. The oven is a no rattle type and is ok, the most annoying noise squeeking as opposed to a rattle is the microwave and we not found a solution to that one. It says on the Microwave to remove the tray and wheels so make sure you done that. Also check the dropdown doors on the lockers under the beds or seating.

Good luck, report back with any progress on the battery front.

Gordon

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Dot the LB COULD BE GOOSED :Eeek: if they fitted a relay it should have had a half decent charge -as you say put it on hook up and charge --have you got a multi meter ?-not going into readings at this stage--- if not try your local motor spares shop and ask them to test the battery,they should do this free of charge [HI]in the hope of selling you a new battery :winky:[/HI]
terry

never did like that advise........a licence to sell you a battery no matter what the condition of the old one.

"Oh yes sir/madam, your battery is well and truly knackered..........and we just happen to have one in stock"

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
never did like that advise........a licence to sell you a battery no matter what the condition of the old one.

"Oh yes sir/madam, your battery is well and truly knackered..........and we just happen to have one in stock"

That all depends on how much you trust your auto spares shop ::bigsmile: plus I did give a link to what will be the cheaper option :winky:Ours test it for free giving a true knackered or not then give you a price for a new one if you want one or not as the case would be :Smile:
terry

OP
OP
D

Dotplus6

Free Member
Oct 4, 2013
N. Ireland
Funster No
MH
Swift Royale 540 (1995)
Exp
Dot,
We are the owners of a Bailey 625 so I know some of your problems.

Firstly the battery, why do you say the LB is completely discharged? Is the panel over the door working?
The Bailey split charge system is poor and one and a half hour isn't enough to fully charge the battery, but should have been enough to get the battery to a usable state.
The most likely problem is that a fuse or fuses have blown. However replacing them may not help if the underlying problem is a knackered battery as a fuse may blow to protect the charging system.
You need to read the voltage on the LB before making any other decisions. If the LB is discharged to a very low level it will be impossible to recharge to anything like its former glory. But taking out the LB and attempting to recharge it on the bench would be a good start.

As for the running noises, the grill pan and rack definately needs the tea towel treatment. The oven is a no rattle type and is ok, the most annoying noise squeeking as opposed to a rattle is the microwave and we not found a solution to that one. It says on the Microwave to remove the tray and wheels so make sure you done that. Also check the dropdown doors on the lockers under the beds or seating.

Good luck, report back with any progress on the battery front.

Gordon

Hi Gordon:Blush:First of all, yes the panel over the door was working. When we plugged it into the electric for a few hours it went back up to 100% but I thought it was still zero as there is a voltage reading & an amp reading for what you're using (that's pretty cool) & I assumed the 'A' was the charge. It did seem to drain quite quickly though, as I was cleaning the van last night & put lights on & within 2 hours it was down to 5%. Maybe that's normal enough? With % how low should you let it go before re-charging? Are you saying not to let it go down to 0%? I thought you should always drain batteries then re-charge completely - is it different with car batteries?

Noise wise : all that you've mentioned was true. We've put a cork placemat between the micro & shelf above, removed all inside (permanently as I don't use a microwave & was going to remove it but decided it will make a good bread bin). Some lockers are loose so hubby will fix them or put cushioning in the edges & the wind up for the awning was lying loose in the bathroom plus shower door was loose so tightened that too. A few other bits & pieces were also lying loose. The shelves in the oven probably were the main culprit along with a loose tin. It will take time but I'm confident most if not all of the noises will be eliminated - Bailey does mention noises in their manual & what to do with some of them so they are pretty on the ball.

All in all, I'm impressed with the build factor - after cleaning & getting into the nooks & crannies it seems to be structurally much sounder than the Hymer C we had last time - there's really no comparison for a similar price. Bailey have thought of all the little things that make a difference (to a woman anyway) plus the storage isn't quite as bad as I'd thought. I reckon that under the seats will hold anything we had in the original garage with the exception of the picnic table which we don't need as there's now a freestanding table for the lounge which can be used outside.

Thanks for all the info & we'll try to get battery properly tested this week.

Take care,

Dorothy

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back