OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We are in Devon so we went to Waters Meet because it is a beautiful place to walk by the river and also you can get a coffee and cake and a nice sit down. Most pleasant.

Off season so the car park is almost empty. I pick a bay long enough to park the camper in a single bay, and not across 3.

Then some idiot comes allong in his camper - remember this car park is practically empty - and parks right up next to me!! WTF??? :Doh::Doh::shout::shout:

closer.jpg

So he parks SO close I am unable to back out and go up the hill like I wanted to because I would have hit his cab. I was unable to back out and go down the hill because he has blocked my view of the road uphill, by parking right up close to me in an empty car park!!! You Bloody Idiot!

close.jpg

Seriously what is wrong with people?

I had to have my wife stand out in the middle of the road on traffic duty so she could back me out safely. :Angry:

Sep 12, 2012
Wengen
Funster No
MH
A/S Broadway EL 2021
Exp
Since 2010
That'll teach you to go abroad! Did you get a one day visa at the border? :Smile:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
You need to stay away longer - clearly you are not chilled out enough.

I would have backed into the slot anyway - combat parking.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

connie

Free Member
Mar 29, 2014
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2013
parking

Hi
the world is full of them same thing happened to me on the dales, his car was so close I could not open the door to get out of my van.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
By the looks of it if he had parked a couple or three bays away from you and had fitted in a bay, you'd have still had problems with visibility of your own making.

The old saying Never be a Nosey Parker is so true in this case. You should have anticipated that and backed in, that would have made your exit much safer. Never nosey park unless you really have to, reversing a long vehicle back onto the road so much more dangerous than driving off forward:thumb:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
You need to stay away longer - clearly you are not chilled out enough.

I would have backed into the slot anyway - combat parking.

Yeah, always reverse in, then you are ready to go, most parks you can usually find a space where you let your back end overhang the grass or whatever to fit in better, also a good tip for dodgy aires:thumb:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I'll always remember somebody on local radio a few years ago complaining about traffic on his road making it difficult for him to back out of his drive - and almost shouting at the radio to ask why he didn't reverse in.

It amazes me how many people do not reverse into their drives so that they can exit more safely.

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
On a less adventurous note,I was parked in the local Sainsbury's,taking supplies prior to a trip. Some pillock parks so close on my passenger side,that the door couldn't open,I think that this was malicious as the car park was half empty and the bay s/he used was at the end of a row and their wheels were on the bay dividing line. If they really wanted to make it awkward for us they should have parked in the empty bay on the hab door side to prevent us loading up.

easygirl

Free Member
Nov 7, 2010
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Kontiki
Exp
3 years
It's like when you go into an empty toilet block to use the toilet, long row of empty cubicles, pick one at the end. Sit down, get ready and then yiu hear someone come in.
Do they pick the cubicle away from yours ?, no some numptys pick the one right next to you.
What is wrong with these people:Smile:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Usually because of the flipping traffic Graham!

When you have to block most of both sides of the road to back either in or out - it can be flipping awkward.

I freely admit I am one of the world's worst, if not THE worst, reverser. The minute I start to actually think about it, I go completely skewiff, and to my shame it's worse now than when I first passed my test. Let's face it, the corners I was expected to get round backwards at the time, I'd had shedloads of practice under expert supervision at doing it!

It's when you meet a corner you haven't prior knowledge of, that folk like me come completely unstuck and I think what made me even worse was smacking the (brick!) gatepost here very soon after we moved in - we are on a main road whereas I lived in a very quiet cul-de-sac the previous 30 years - when I had got it down to an absolute T and it didn't really occur to me to be scared of going backwards anywhere.

(I also used to drive around 60,000 miles a year at that time and now I do about 300.)

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Greetings,

Well that's given the OP a good bout of vitriol.

Notwithstanding his Nosey Parking, there does seem to be a tendency for the second motorhome arriving at a car park to 'cuddle up' to the first one. (Or am I being paranoid)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Usually because of the flipping traffic Graham!

When you have to block most of both sides of the road to back either in or out - it can be flipping awkward.
(snipped for brevity)

Yes Jenny, it can be awkward - but it is awkward whichever way one reverses. It is always safer to emerge forwards into traffic.

When I learned to drive I was made aware of Highway Code rule 201 - Do not reverse from a side road into a main road.

On checking just now I see that rule also says "When using a driveway, reverse in and drive out if you can."

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Greetings,

Notwithstanding his Nosey Parking, there does seem to be a tendency for the second motorhome arriving at a car park to 'cuddle up' to the first one. (Or am I being paranoid)

I think this particular MH is a foreign one, so possibly more used the continental aire style of parking, but I also think he might have parked there in the hope of some interaction, possibly of a more friendly content

He also appears to be parked a full bays width away, unless the camera angle is deceptive

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Yes Jenny, it can be awkward - but it is awkward whichever way one reverses. It is always safer to emerge forwards into traffic.

When I learned to drive I was made aware of Highway Code rule 201 - Do not reverse from a side road into a main road.

On checking just now I see that rule also says "When using a driveway, reverse in and drive out if you can."

Even the law allows an opt out here :Doh:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I think this particular MH is a foreign one, so possibly more used the continental aire style of parking, but I also think he might have parked there in the hope of some interaction, possibly of a more friendly content

He also appears to be parked a full bays width away, unless the camera angle is deceptive

frankly, I see nothing wrong the way he has parked.. (bearing in mind the car park is empty)

He has parked facing the correct way to wheel round to make it easy to exit.. and as you say... a full bay space between him and the OP ..

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
It's like when you go into an empty toilet block to use the toilet, long row of empty cubicles, pick one at the end. Sit down, get ready and then yiu hear someone come in.
Do they pick the cubicle away from yours ?, no some numptys pick the one right next to you.
It's so that if they run out of paper, they can put their hand under the door to borrow some of yours :Smile:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Greetings,

Not on my part, a couple of weeks ago he was a newbie asking for advice, so just giving some that is obvious to mhers that have been there and done it but not so if you are just starting out:thumb:

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now

Last time for me on a site too!

Long row of outside facing doors at 6am, all slightly open, I pick a middle one, sit and think of something (WD40) usually ,to see what happens.
Then I hear footsteps ,all the way up to one end , back down to me ,kept trying my door:Eeek:
"What Do You Want" !! I shouted, --"oh sorry, thought it was empty":Angry:

"This is the only locked door around here" I say -- so she goes in next door:Angry:

Then I can`t do what needs doing because I must be alone to do it:cry:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 76

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
I AM REALLY SORRY I did not know you were another funster and i only parked like that while I drained my grey waste water down the hill as that lets me empty my tank :thumb:

OP
OP
OddSocks

OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Ha ha!! What a fun read - yes, you are right, I should have backed in - and I always back in to spaces normally - but I had a plan you see.

Being that this car ark was empty, I was just going to back out a little and then drive forwards out of the space. Doing a big loop over all the empty spaces. There was no need for this guy to park so close though. Dumb!

This is only the second time I have been out in my MH, the first one I have owned. I have reversed it probably twice! I figured on a quiet road in an empty car park it wouldn't matter. Ho hum - you live and learn! lol

ShiftZZ - I seem to be surrounded by them. Not my choice, probably my karma! :RollEyes:

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
frankly, I see nothing wrong the way he has parked.. (bearing in mind the car park is empty)

He has parked facing the correct way to wheel round to make it easy to exit.. and as you say... a full bay space between him and the OP ..

I don't think I had said there was anything wrong, I simply suggested he might have gone close for the potential company

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough

Even the law allows an opt out here :Doh:

All it does is acknowledge the fact that, sometimes, it may not be possible to reverse into a drive :Smile:

Sorry, this was my attempt at 'tongue in cheek' too subtle I guess

'If you can' as in 'if you can reverse' (do you have the ability to)

The worst ones are always the ones you have to explain :Doh:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back