What is it and how can I get rid of the thing (1 Viewer)

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
This last week whenever I'm checking through the forums I've noticed certain words are highlighted blue, these can be anything for example in the awning woes thread dealer is highlighted. Hovering my mouse over it brings up a box inviting me to "Dealers Survey £75 gift" and "click here to answer 3 questions and claim todays gift wort over £50 "

Its very irritating and I cannot find any program associated with it?

Anyone know what it is and how to get rid of the damn thing :Angry:

Last edited:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Stewart See my thread entitled words underlined in red .... I have the same problem just a different colour.

(I just started Firefox but held the shift button down... that worked for a while) Joy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Already tried Malwarebytes, just downloaded and run Spybot, its still there :Angry:

Every time I try these free download computer repair sites , I always end up with a lot of strange programmes downloaded with it.

I then find my home page has a strange search engine and I have to go through and delete programmes to get rid of them.
:Eeek:

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Greetings,

I've had that in the past (as well as large unwanted adverts covering up the pages.)

I've installed 'Adblock' and that seems to have eradicated it. It took time but it's done the job. I'm on 'Chrome' I assume you can get it for Firefox. If not, you could migrate over to another system, annoying but worth it to get rid of it. Good Luck:thumb:

I've just looked on Google and it can be installed on Firefox.

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
The problem seems to be offers4u :-

The Offers4U infection is designed specifically to make money. It generates web traffic, collects sales leads for other dubious sites, and will display advertisements and sponsored links within your web browser.
Offers4U it’s technically not a virus, but it does exhibit plenty of malicious traits, such as rootkit capabilities to hook deep into the operating system, browser hijacking, and in general just interfering with the user experience. The industry generally refers to it as a “PUP,” or potentially unwanted program. Offers4U is an ad-supported (users may see additional banner, search, pop-up, pop-under, interstitial and in-text link advertisements) cross web browser plugin for Internet Explorer, Firefox and Chrome, and distributed through various monetization platforms during installation.
Offers4U is typically added when you install another free software (video recording/streaming, download-managers or PDF creators) that had bundled into their installation this adware program. When you install these free programs, they will also install Offers4U as well. Some of the programs that are known to bundle Offers4U include 1ClickDownload, Superfish, Yontoo and FBPhotoZoom. Very often users have no idea where did it come from, so it’s not surprising at all that most of them assume that Offers4U is a virus.
Once installed, the Offers4U browser extension will highlight words on the websites that you are visiting transforming them into hyperlinks. These Offers4U links are placed inside your text (hence the name), and they come with a double underline to differentiate them from normal links. Once the user rolls the mouse over the link the advertising will pop. Should the user click on the Offers4U links the browser extension developer will get an affiliate revenue.

Will revert once I sort its removal

http://malwaretips.com/blogs/offers4u-virus-removal/

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
change your browser to Torch and use the facilities which stop malware and adverts

If son was home he could give you more info :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Stewart, I went onto that removal site and the Offers4U virus kept locking my computer screen...:Angry: If I could get my hands on them ... I would ..... oops best not say in case little Charlie is reading. :Blush:

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Google "how to remove shop4u" there are a lot of solutions for different browsers I use Firefox and seem to have it under control at present time will tell. :Angry:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Every time I try these free download computer repair sites , I always end up with a lot of strange programmes downloaded with it.

I then find my home page has a strange search engine and I have to go through and delete programmes to get rid of them.
:Eeek:

thats easy to avoid......

When you download a program simply check carefully for pre ticked boxes allowing installation of unwanted browsers and programs.

Free programs will nearly always carry 3rd party downloads of some description and If you just wade in agreeing to terms etc without checking they download automatically.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
thats easy to avoid......

When you download a program simply check carefully for pre ticked boxes allowing installation of unwanted browsers and programs.

Free programs will nearly always carry 3rd party downloads of some description and If you just wade in agreeing to terms etc without checking they download automatically.

absolutely correct John.. but they are getting clever..

some you need to untick .. others tick.. and some make it look as though you must tick in order for the download to continue..

I'm pretty clued up on it,.. but have been caught out by some of the new tactics..

Just recently my PC got infested by malware that took ages to clear out.. :Angry:..

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
This is how I imagine Dawn B sorting hers :roflmto:

Broken Link Removed
I thought she looked like this with a MHF list at hand -:Eeek:

Attachments

• granny-cartoon.jpg
    granny-cartoon.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 15

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

I don't think anyone is suggesting "free repair sites", well I hope not. We do suggest some programs ( apps to any teens reading this ) that are know to fix problems.

There is even a problem in some of these, to fund the free ones they sometimes sneak little check boxes like "Make Chrome my browser", you have to look out for these and uncheck them.

Never take sweets from a stranger, never accept free "anything" unless you are absolutely sure it's not going to bite you.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Stewart et all, I share my computer with my friend, and she has just logged into this site and the malware didn't show up. So same computer but no problem. Is that because it is coming from an e mail of mine ... confused because it same computer :cry::cry: don't take much.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Stewart et all, I share my computer with my friend, and she has just logged into this site and the malware didn't show up. So same computer but no problem. Is that because it is coming from an e mail of mine ... confused because it same computer :cry::cry: don't take much.

Does she log on to the PC with her own profile and password, or with yours ?

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Thanks Yorick ... you just answered my question.... I'd send you a hug but Dawn might get jealous.:thumb:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
to run anti malware programs best, you should reboot the computer into safe mode. press F8 as the computer boots and select safe mode from the list. then run your program

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
to run anti malware programs best, you should reboot the computer into safe mode. press F8 1,000 times as the computer boots and select safe mode from the list. then run your program
Corrected :roflmto:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back