Using "City" water in the winter. (1 Viewer)

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Just a thought.

We have a "super" pitch booked over the Christmas period and I am concerned about the supply freezing up in the pipe from the supply to the RV.

Is it necessary to lag the pipe please in the eventuality there may be a sharp frost or snow.:Cool:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Just a thought.

We have a "super" pitch booked over the Christmas period and I am concerned about the supply freezing up in the pipe from the supply to the RV.

Is it necessary to lag the pipe please in the eventuality there may be a sharp frost or snow.:Cool:

Hi

I assume that your going to hook up to the city water supply on you rv. Its a difficult one to answer really.

Just looking at the obvious ones, how cold is it going to get, willl the water in your supply line be running or static, if its night time which is probabley when its the coldest it will probabley be static.

Better safer than sorry, insulate it.

Sorry I cant think of a better answer.

Cheers

Jim

OP
OP
American Dream

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Thanks Jim.

Yes it's the night time I'm worried about, when the water is static.

I was thinking of lagging the pipe with the stuff you can buy in B & Q and using nylon ties to hold it on.

Looking at recent Christmas' it'll probably be mild but I don't really want to risk it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
It won't matter Steve, if its going to freeze then disconnect and use your potable. If the last dozen Christmases in Wales are anything to go by, it won't be frozen water that will be the problem. ::bigsmile:

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
Just a thought.

:Cool: We have NO such problems on Camping Almafra. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

des

Free Member
Oct 1, 2007
south staffs
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
5 years
steve

if it freezes up, just switch on your pump and draw from the tank.

des

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
The strangest system I ever saw was at Roseberry camp site in Willingham near Cambridge.
I was a complete system with a tank by the caraven and a hose going to the nearest tap. The whole lot was lagged with the foam tubes that can be bought at DIY stores. The tank was wrapped in plastic which I take it had insulation under it. :Eeek:
Clearly this occupant had the same concernes about freezing, & it was snowing & very cold so he was right to protect his water system. :thumb:

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi we dont have the problem with our water tank, it's the waste tank and waste pipes we have the problem with all being outside. So we used pipe lagging on the pipes and leave the drain cap of the tank and put a big container under it to catch the waste and keep emptying it. Its easy better than the waste tank freezing and not being able to empty it. It's all good fun, one of the joys of traveling down to Spain in winter, is getting through France which was hell in January.:ROFLMAO: I would say its better to be safe than sorry and take a Hair Drier with you they come in handy sometimes.:thumb: Good Luck. Bob.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
steve

if it freezes up, just switch on your pump and draw from the tank.

des

I would just top the tank up to albeit the tap more likely to be frozen as well so the tanks the answer:winky:

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
winter water-land!!

Hi

Lived both winters 1998/9 in R-V whilst building, did`nt bother with "City" feed just topped up the tank as needed and blew the hose dry until it was needed again. Biggest problem is "Black" tank (if it`s exposed,) frozen poo is hard to move!!. the grey tends to get regular doses of Hot/Warm washup/shower water and can be dumped then. If your valves are outside and exposed hot (not boiling) water should shift them if they freeze stuck. Mr Sheen helps too! squirt some up the pipe onto the valve faces and spindles.

pete

Tony Hunt

Free Member
Sep 27, 2007
Wimborne, Dorset
Funster No
MH
RV A class
Exp
If you all get regular and que up and Poo together then tip it you wont have a problem, can always add a kettle of hot water to it to make it flow better :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
American Dream

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hi we dont have the problem with our water tank, it's the waste tank and waste pipes we have the problem with all being outside. So we used pipe lagging on the pipes and leave the drain cap of the tank and put a big container under it to catch the waste and keep emptying it. Its easy better than the waste tank freezing and not being able to empty it. quote]

Thanks Bob.

The grey and Black are exposed under the Bus.I am looking to coat them in insulating foam.

A previous motorhome I owned, had this done to it by the owner.Now I know why.

OP
OP
American Dream

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hi Steve don't forget to put a pressure regulator in the water feed to your city water point! Or it is possible to cause some damage with out one:Sad::Sad:

Regards Pat

Cheers Pat.:thumb:

I've seen these advertised.Will sort one.Do you need special connectors for the Bus and Tap side and special high pressure hose?

OP
OP
American Dream

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
If you all get regular and que up and Poo together then tip it you wont have a problem, can always add a kettle of hot water to it to make it flow better :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Oooooh Yuk!

Tend to make them stick to the rule....No solids down the loo....and it's worked so far.:ROFLMAO:

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi Steve thanks for that tip, I have a can of spray foam in the garage somewhere I will have to do ours, I think as long as it just goes on the tank it will be OK, but I worry that it holds the water and rots the floor. May have to mask it up and just spray the tank. Thanks Bob.:thumb:

Thats the foam insulation holding the water not the tank.:ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
American Dream

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hi Steve thanks for that tip, I have a can of spray foam in the garage somewhere I will have to do ours, I think as long as it just goes on the tank it will be OK, but I worry that it holds the water and rots the floor. May have to mask it up and just spray the tank. Thanks Bob.:thumb:

Thats the foam insulation holding the water not the tank.:ROFLMAO:

I'm going to spray a small area at the very top of the tank first, just to make sure it goes on ok and does not react with the tank material.:thumb:

Going to check out the water retention properties of the foam first.From what I have seen before it has very small isolated bubbles and rejects water ingress.Will test at the weekend.

If need be I would spray/coat the floor first with waterproofer or some sort of underseal for just that reason.:thumb:

Last edited:

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi Steve I will let you do yours first to see how you get on.::bigsmile: I dont have time anyway we are off to France on thursday, and will not be home till 7th October, but don't worry about me, it will be P*****G with rain when I get round to doing mine.:ROFLMAO: Good Luck. Bob.:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back