Calais Seafront Aire (1 Viewer)

Aug 17, 2011
North East
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7057
Exp
since 2011
We have just returned home after a fab 2 weeks in France, shame we have to go back to work!

Our first and last nights were both spent on the aire at the seafront at Calais where its great to watch the ferries.

A word of warning though as we pulled off our pitch this morning I found a strap we use on our bike rack to secure the wheels on the floor. On closer inspection the cover had been loosened at the bottom and an attempt had been made to bolt crop one of our locks. We had four locks on them so they may of just given up! But with the noise of the ferries we did not hear or see a thing.

It will not put us off staying there- the chips are fab!! but we will continue to make sure the bikes are well secured. I just hope no one was targeted or lost their bikes!

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
A couple of years ago we stayed on the Calais site near the town centre and had a car load or three of herberts show up at 11.30pm, stayed around for a bit.

Most unsettling :Eeek::Eeek:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
A couple of years ago we stayed on the Calais site near the town centre and had a car load or three of herberts show up at 11.30pm, stayed around for a bit.

Most unsettling :Eeek::Eeek:

That's when I don't see the point staying at an aire.

You would be safer on a motorway aire IMO.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
Bleriot plage just up the road from Calais, behind sand dune, chip van calls on Saturdays,
Shhhhhhhhhhh no one knows but its safe.

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
France Passion dairy farm site 15 minutes from tunnel, no chips but the best ice cream you have ever tasted! If anyone wants the name of the site, I can find it tomorrow!

TheDentons

Free Member
Aug 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki
Exp
I'm a newbie bought our first motorhome 7months ago and love it
Our view from the Calais aire last night

image.jpg

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Yes please :thumb::thumb:

Farm is just outside Leubringhen. Marie-Claire and Jean-Louis Mionet own the farm. Really friendly couple, who opened the farm shop at the crack of dawn so I could buy the ice-cream on the day we left! A really peaceful little spot, but really close to the channel tunnel. We used to stop at Bien Assise in Guines and spend a fortune on a meal for our final night, but we find this FP site so much better. Only cows, geese and chickens for company!

Attachments

• FP Near Calais 1.jpg
    FP Near Calais 1.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 24
  • FP Near Calais 5.jpg
    FP Near Calais 5.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 22

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
No problem to report on the Calais aire last Tuesday. The restaurant Le Sybilien in the block next to the aire entrance does a goodly-sized pot of moules with frites for a very modest sum if you like that sort of thing, with a nice view of La Manche.

There's a new migrant shanty camp sprung up in the town on the junction between Rue Lamy and Boulevard des Allies (Google Maps 50.962373,1.856237) which is along the route from the aire to the ferry port if your SatNav's taking you in the back way to jump the queue. No obvious effect on the aire while we were there but you may want to avoid strolling down there of an evening, and keep your doors locked when driving past.

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Hi, we are travelling back a week on Wednesday and need a stop near or in Calais as the tunnel crossing is at 9.50. I am not sure what time we have to be there before the crossing, but we will need somewhere reasonably close.

We were looking at Gravelines in the All the Aires book, has anyone been? can recommend it? or have an alternative suggestion please?

Ginny

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
I have just checked in the Camperstop book and there is one at Dique Gaston Berthe, is this the posh name for the one already mentioned?

Ginny

weejohnw

Free Member
Aug 3, 2008
Richhill
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Started August 2008
Gravelines is a lovely spot, we have used it almost every year now for a wee rest on both headin' away and the night before returning on the tunnel.:thumb:

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Gravelines is a lovely spot, we have used it almost every year now for a wee rest on both headin' away and the night before returning on the tunnel.:thumb:

Dead right - Gravelines is a lovely spot and only a few minutes walk into the town.

We use it whenever we can when travelling to and from Calais.

:thumb::thumb:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Another vote for gravelines, if you want a meal go over the bridge to the marina restaruant think it's called au cap compass,

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back