pets abroad (1 Viewer)

Jan 30, 2014
Midlands
Funster No
MH
IH 630 FL
Exp
Hi anyone out there who can help me.

We have a dog which has a partially docked tail, we are wanting to take her abroad with us but am at a loss as to what countries we are not allowed in, and which ones we can take her to with us. We want to go the Switzerland, maybe spain, germany, italy, luxembourg and definitely france

Also worried about various diseases she could pick up.

Has anyone out there got any good advice please

:Sad::Sad::Sad:

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
All the info you need can be found at most vets or on line at gov.uk.

Sep 30, 2012
Frampton, West Dorset
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
we're taking our dog abroad for the first time this year, we've used this website for research.

I still think we'll do a tick treatment as well before we go as I hate these little critters!!

https://www.gov.uk/take-pet-abroad

Still a bit nervous though but everybody has said it's straight forward :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
make sure u have the pet passport and had all its jabs including rabies and away u go np with a dog in all the countries u mentioned just remember to get a collor Scalibor is the name of it and when returning mim 24hrs up to 5 days for the vet visit before u can return :Smile:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
look up the defra web site for full and accurate info. but in brief you can visit any EU state no probs. you will need the pet passport and i would advise you take a small pet first aid kit, made up by yourself containing;
tick treatment, worm treatment, tick removal tool, antiseptic. and a few bits and pieces in case of a cut or minor injury.

I would recommend tick treatment before you go and if you are going to Spain or very soyh of France consider a Scalibor collar for sand flies ( no they are not beach flies , just called sand flies ). Also if you plan a lot of walking in Austria and switzeland, poss norther Italy look up Tick borne encephalitis, it will at least make you aware.

we take ours every year and keeping control of ticks on the dog in wooded / long grass areas is a must, but simple task.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
http://www.pettravel.com/immigration/Switzerland.cfm

Just read the above and was not aware that dogs with cropped ears or tails will not be allowed entry in to Switzerland.

Anyone got a spare tail for our pointer :ROFLMAO:

Also the last rabies vaccination must not have been more than 12 months before. Andorra too. Spain as per manufacturers recommendation.....and so on. Interesting website, you just have to work your way through it country by country :-/ Jane

Jun 10, 2011
Yorkshire (nr. Leeds)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011 (so a bit of a newbie)
when returning mim 24hrs up to 5 days for the vet visit before u can return :Smile:

Yes! This is REALLY IMPORTANT.

Don't leave it until the last day as they won't let you back in. We nearly fell foul of that when we first took our dog.

kat_lewis

Free Member
May 25, 2013
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since a nipper but only got back into it seriously recently when we inherited my mum's van
I think it was on this forum that someone had compiled a map of vets that people had experience of for the journey back :Smile:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
http://www.pettravel.com/immigration/Switzerland.cfm

Just read the above and was not aware that dogs with cropped ears or tails will not be allowed entry in to Switzerland.

Anyone got a spare tail for our pointer :ROFLMAO:

Not aware either, I suppose it's to keep out dogs 'modified' for fighting. Your is partially docked, not quite sure what that means, an accident perhaps, in which case you could claim it was an injury not actual 'docking'

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
Not aware either, I suppose it's to keep out dogs 'modified' for fighting. Your is partially docked, not quite sure what that means, an accident perhaps, in which case you could claim it was an injury not actual 'docking'

Something has been lost in translation. These restriction apply to animals being imported.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We treat our dog with 'Advocate' monthly for fleas and worms, with 'Advantix' also monthly (but 2 weeks after the Advocate) for ticks etc, and she is also wormed regularly. Expensive, around £20 a month but keeps her free of everything. Just wish there was something similar for humans as I usually get severely bitten :Sad:

Advocate for Dogs will kill fleas, kill flea larvae, prevent heartworms, controls intestinal worms, controls intestinal worm larvae, controls demodectic mange, controls sarcoptic mange, controls ear mites and controls lice.

K9 Advantix is an easy to apply, once-a-month topical treatment to protect your dogs and puppies from fleas, ticks, and mosquitoes. Within three to five minutes, K9 Advantix prevents biting fleas as well as kills and repels ticks and mosquitoes. One of the active ingredients in K9 Advantix, Imidacloprid, kills 98-100 percent of fleas within a period of 12 hours. K9 Advantix is still very effective after bathing or swimming without greatly hindering the treatment's effectiveness.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Something has been lost in translation. These restriction apply to animals being imported.

This is correct, for holidaying dogs it's not an issue.

We have successfully imported docked and non docked into CH without any issues. To be honest unless you declare your dog at the border and why would you, they will not know you have him/her on board (you are not obliged to declare). We pass through the borders on a monthly basis with ours and have never been asked in 10yrs although we have CH plates on but with UK plates you'll be pretty safe.

Feb 25, 2013
Staffs
Funster No
MH
A big white thing ???
Exp
3 yrs, (tenting and tugging before)
.....and when you have been to the vets for your return double check that the vet has stamped/signed the passport. We had this problem once, discovered at check in, but fortunately arrived at le Havre early enough to get to a vet in the town to do it for us!!!

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
.....and when you have been to the vets for your return double check that the vet has stamped/signed the passport. We had this problem once, discovered at check in, but fortunately arrived at le Havre early enough to get to a vet in the town to do it for us!!!

Yep had to ask ours 3 times the other week, he said he'd done it but after I left I realised he hadn't:Doh: so had to go back the next day.....

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We treat our dog with 'Advocate' monthly for fleas and worms, with 'Advantix' also monthly (but 2 weeks after the Advocate) for ticks etc, and she is also wormed regularly. Expensive, around £20 a month but keeps her free of everything. Just wish there was something similar for humans as I usually get severely bitten :Sad:

Advocate for Dogs will kill fleas, kill flea larvae, prevent heartworms, controls intestinal worms, controls intestinal worm larvae, controls demodectic mange, controls sarcoptic mange, controls ear mites and controls lice.

K9 Advantix is an easy to apply, once-a-month topical treatment to protect your dogs and puppies from fleas, ticks, and mosquitoes. Within three to five minutes, K9 Advantix prevents biting fleas as well as kills and repels ticks and mosquitoes. One of the active ingredients in K9 Advantix, Imidacloprid, kills 98-100 percent of fleas within a period of 12 hours. K9 Advantix is still very effective after bathing or swimming without greatly hindering the treatment's effectiveness.
No apologies for exhuming this old thread as our new pooch is being treated for ear mites with Advocate*. I was somewhat alarmed to read the main active ingredient is Imidacloprid.

For those who haven't heard of this it is the somewhat controversial pesticide now banned in the EU as a seed dressing because of its suspected toxic effect on bees.

I doubt they would be allowed to use it on humans! Fine for pets apparently. Essentially, we have applied a systemic pesticide to his skin which then makes him fatal to any critter which tries to eat bits of him. :xblink:

*plus a couple of other things.

Last edited:

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
I may be wrong......But, I have a feeling that the Scalibor collar you can buy in UK is not the same as the one in Spain so, if going to Spain, perhaps buy there.

I have a Spanish dog and only buy ours there because of all the nasties that are special to Spain.

As I say, I stand to be corrected.:xsmile:

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We have only visited France with ours and Belgium /Germany when lost on the border!!!. Just stick to the rules its dead easy and don't panic there are loads of people with dogs in the countries you are going to visit who live there quite happily but I would take a different worm tablet if heading to southern France or lower. Our vet said the normal one we use was ok but not licenced for that use.

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
No apologies for exhuming this old thread as our new pooch is being treated for ear mites with Advocate*.

We have successfully used neem oil for ear mites. It smells a bit, but it works. Can't remember exactly where I got it from, but it was on line - a product aimed for use on horses.

I later saw it, at a much cheaper price in an Indian grocery store. Apparently, it's widely used in India for skin infections etc in humans.

Reactions: DBK
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Apparently the scalabore collars can have bad effect on some dogs and cause allergic reactions,we only travel to Spain during their winter and our vet advised that Advantix is best to use and it protects against sand flies although the time of year we are there the flies aren't active (we have never come across them) we are down in Dec and home end April.
The other thing to be aware of is Pine processionary caterpillars and their cocoons.just google them.
Please don't let these pests put you off going though there are thousands of pets that go every year and most never have any problems.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back