Fishing in France. Licence required? (1 Viewer)

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Greetings All,

The question is in the title. I appreciate that a Licence (and possibly day tickets) is required in UK for freshwater fishing. Is it the same in France?

Aug 14, 2013
Département 87
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since about year 2000
Fishing Licences

Greetings All,

The question is in the title. I appreciate that a Licence (and possibly day tickets) is required in UK for freshwater fishing. Is it the same in France?

Hi,

I'm not a fisherman, but my understanding of the situation is that a "permis" is required except on a private lake, and can be bought in some tourist information offices, some sports shops and even the occasional supermarket.

If you want info on any particular area then get in touch and I will see what I can find out for you.

J

connie

Free Member
Mar 29, 2014
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2013
fishing licence

Hi I can't even get my UK licence. They took my money over a month ago.
They say they are having problems with printing. :ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Licences are required but each region seems to have its own requirement - there doesn't appear to be a national scheme as we have in the UK. I also believe that you may need a separate licence for game fish.

Tight lines.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
could be worse....you may have been wanting to fish in Spain.

For those not holding a foreign fishing licence, (UK in this instance) a Spanish licence can be obtained from the territorial Ministry of the Environment office (Ministerio de Medio Ambiente). Applicants must pass an exam in Spanish before being granted a licence. After the exam, it can take over a month to receive the results and permit.

See below for France.

http://www.french-property.com/news/french_life/fishing_permit_right_france/

Last edited:

lugnutt

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2007
wednesbury.westmidlands
Funster No
MH
autotrail apache
Exp
10 years
do not bother the french have eaten them all if it swims they eat it no more stock to grow into big ones:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Hi I can't even get my UK licence. They took my money over a month ago.
They say they are having problems with printing. :ROFLMAO:

Hang on in there, took them 5 months to get mine out to me, arrived now, I renewed mine online.

The digital age is a marvel to behold, super fast till it grinds to a halt.:Doh:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
could be worse....you may have been wanting to fish in Spain.

For those not holding a foreign fishing licence, (UK in this instance) a Spanish licence can be obtained from the territorial Ministry of the Environment office (Ministerio de Medio Ambiente). Applicants must pass an exam in Spanish before being granted a licence. After the exam, it can take over a month to receive the results and permit.

so does that mean if you have a uk licence you DON'T need a Spanish one?

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Greetings All,

Yes

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Licences are required but each region seems to have its own requirement - there doesn't appear to be a national scheme as we have in the UK. I also believe that you may need a separate licence for game fish.

Tight lines.

Yes the is a national permit/licence

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+

If you just want one for a region.....then you can go to DECATHLON and pick one up

Fishing in France.

Whether you just want a day's fishing, or to go out every day for two weeks, many areas of France offer interesting fishing. For fly-fishing for trout or grayling, try the river La Sorgues in Provence, the upper reaches of the Dordogne River, or the lovely mountain rivers of the Pyrenées Atlantiques. You can also fly-fish for Black Bass in the river Lot, and Shad on the western part of the River Dordogne and the River Charente. Coarse fishing offers some of the best fishing in France and is available in most departments of France, but especially in the Dordogne, Charente Maritime, Landes and Lot, where Catfish, Pike, Carp etc are plentiful. There are also opportunities to go sea fishing off the coast of Charente Maritime, Landes and Pyrenées Atlantiques.

Fishing Permits

Remember to check the fishing seasons for the fish in which you are interested and don't forget to buy a fishing permit or 'Carte de Pêche'. Rivers and ponds in France are divided into 1st and 2nd Category (1er et 2eme Categorie) waters. The principal distinction is that on 1st Category waters you need to have an extra stamp on your permit, mainly in order to fish for trout and the other salmonides. This distinction is rendered irrelevant by the holiday fishing permit (Carte de Pêche de Vacances), which covers all types of fish and both categories of water. Rivers are patrolled by gendarmes and by guardians de pêche to ensure that anglers have one.

The Carte de Pêche de Vacances covers you for 15 consecutive days and currently costs about 28 euros and can be used between 1st June and 30th November. After 30th November and before 1st June an annual fishing permit is obligatory. This currently costs about 60 euros though prices vary from department to department. It may be used for the whole year but only in one department. You can add another 45 departments, effectively covering all the areas we cover in continental France by purchasing a stamp currently costing about 16 euros. This is the stamp of the Club Halieutique. Please note that fishing seasons change slightly every year. For all fresh water fishing you will need a fishing permit. Fishing is allowed during the season from half an hour before dawn to half an hour after sunset.

Fishing in Charente Maritime

Charente Maritime is a large department and offers many different sorts of fishing. Those keen on river fishing will be attracted to the channels and tributaries which drain the Charente wetlands into the large Charente river, and where fishing is almost always authorised. A fishing permit is required. La Sèvre Niortaise, in the north of the department is the main river, winding through the Marais Poitevin, also called Venise Verte. It is a slow, deep river, known for its eel, white fish and carnivores. In the centre of the Charente Maritime, the River Charente is tidal for some distance inland and is a good habitat for large specimens of carps, pike and perch. There are also bream, roach and bleak. Mullet come in from the sea. In May and June shad swim up river to breed.

The River Boutonne, close by St Jean d'Angély is classified as a 1st category river, and provides good fishing in the spring but not is not recommended in summer. On the west side of the department, on the River Seudre and the many canals of the coastal wetlands of Rochefort, Marennes and the Gironde estuary there are many ideal places for fishing, especially for crayfish. In the south of the department the river is very clear and is well known for its pike and the beauty of its confluence with the Charente. You do not need a permit for sea fishing. The sea fishing off La Rochelle, Ile de Ré, Ile d'Oléron, and is excellent. You can go fishing at night, even during the summer months to catch bass off the Ile de Ré or Royan, and conger and skate off La Rochelle. Ile Madame is the best place for mussels.

Fishing seasons in Charente Maritime

Please note that fishing seasons change slightly every year. For all fresh water fishing you will need a fishing permit. Fishing is allowed during the season from half an hour before dawn to half an hour after sunset. Carp may be fished 24 hours a day but at night only on specially prepared and precisely delineated boats. The other exception to this rule is for eel being fished without a hook but on what the French call a boul de verre, in which case you may fish for eel until midnight.
• Pike: The season for pike is from the 1st January to the last Sunday of
• January and from the 3rd Saturday in April till the first 31 December. Pike less than 50 cms have to be returned to the water alive.
• Shad: The season for shad is from 1st February to 30 June inclusive. In practical terms they are most likely to be in the rivers during May and June. Shad less than 30 cms have to be returned to the water alive.
• Trout: On the Sèvre Niortaise, Charente, Boutonne and Seudre the season for trout is from the 2nd Saturday in March to the 3rd Sunday in September inclusive. Trout less than 25 cms have to be returned to the river alive. The limit of the take home catch is 6 trout per person per day all other fish have to be returned to the water alive.
• All other fish: Provided that you have a fishing permit, all other fish can be fished year round. Black Bass less than 23 cms have to be returned to the water alive. Zander less than 40 cms have to be returned to the water alive. Sea
• Lampreys less than 40cms have to be returned to the water alive. River Lampreys less than 20cms have to be returned to the water alive. Mullet less than 20 cms have to be returned to the water alive.
Rent a property in Charente- Maritime
Looking for a lake to buy? Use our Keyword Search here

Fishing on the River Dordogne

From Argentat to Beaulieu the river is cleanest, and is particularly interesting because you can fish for grayling, though there are also trout in this part of the river. Fishing is most often done from the bank or by wading. From Beaulieu to Limeuil the river is also clean, fast flowing, and except in spate, relatively shallow. This is a good part of the river for trout, though fishing is usually done in the evening when there is less activity on the river. You usually fish from the bank or by wading. From Limeuil westwards the hydroelectric barrage at Lalinde slows the river down. It becomes much shallower again then deeper once it passes Bergerac, after which there is good pike and carp fishing. Shad also comes up the river Dordogne as far as Bergerac. The river Lisle at Monpon Monesterol has a variety of mostly coarse fish.

Fishing Seasons on the River Dordogne

Please note that fishing seasons change slightly every year. You can fish from half an hour before to sunrise to half an hour after sunset. In practical terms, for most of June, July, August and September it will be best to fish from the late afternoon onwards.
• Grayling: The grayling season is from 13th March to 21st November inclusive.
• Pike: The Pike season is from the 3rd Saturday in April to the last Sunday in January. Pike under 50cms are to be returned to the river.
• Salmon: Salmon fishing is not allowed on the Dordogne.
• Sea Trout: Sea Trout fishing is not allowed on the Dordogne
• Shad: From mid May to Mid June.
• Trout: The season opens on the 2nd Saturday of March and closes on the 3rd Sunday of September. Fish under 25 cms must be returned to the water alive. You have the right to take 6 fish per person per day but fish stocks of the wild fish are unsustainable at this level so a policy of no kill is encouraged and appreciated.
• Zander: The season is from the 2nd Saturday in May to the 3rd Saturday in January.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I could buy quite a lot of fish for €79 and wouldn't need to sit all day on a damp river bank developing a fistula.:roflmto:
The last fishing licence I bought was about 1/6 and I got it at the post office.

kat_lewis

Free Member
May 25, 2013
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since a nipper but only got back into it seriously recently when we inherited my mum's van
When we lived in Picardy we could buy a permis in the local bar or tackle shop. Normally they are handed out for that area by the local fishing club. At that time you could buy one for the year, anytime or for a month during the summer.
You should look on the above links for the area you are going to :thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

yes Roger, you do need one but it can be bought at various outlets on production of your uk licence and photographic proof.

The only difference is no waiting time or exam

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
In the Limousin there are many lakes and rivers available for fishing. Here you can buy a permit at the local bar (Dino's - very popular with Funsters) or we can give you directions to a three-lake fishery where you can fish for a half-day or full day, just paying the owner and binging your catch back for your barbeque!::bigsmile:

Bob
www.parcverger.com

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Greetings Once again to All,:thanks2:

There you are. You lot have done it again. Someone asks a question that has been a mystery for years and you come up with the goods.

The rod and tackle will have to be added to the list, :reel:( Don't tell him Pike):ROFLMAO:

Did you see what I did there;:groan:

I'll get me coat!!!

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
I could buy quite a lot of fish for €79 and wouldn't need to sit all day on a damp river bank developing a fistula.:roflmto:
The last fishing licence I bought was about 1/6 and I got it at the post office.

What at the L Poste....in France... for a national permit:Eeek:

and fishing it is a relaxing escape from swmbo :RollEyes::winky::winky: a few beers in the water cooling::bigsmile:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
The National licence for all of France has only been running for about 4 to 5 years...in fact most French fishermen do not even know about it..( to be fair most french don't travel out of there region to fish).and the permit before the total national permit only covered about 75% of France..even DECATHLON who is one of the main fishing retailers did not know about the national licence...
My wife Chris found all this out researching on the internet and contacting clubs....
In a lot of places you will have still buy day tickets...
Or there are some ponds lakes that are private you can pay to fish for the the day, some are Aires...
A lot of the fishing places (ponds,lakes) you are allowed to take home so many fish...it may be two fish it may be three fish etc...and the French people fishing do just that as it is day out/holiday out like a picknic for all the family they all fish man ,wife,and all the children as the children get it for free...all taking out what they are allowed....BUT do not worry the ponds are re-stocked sometimes daily in the busy part of the season or weekly:thumb::RollEyes:

If you look at this map.. all marked in geen on the regions are all in the national permit, most if not all the clubs have come together to make this happen..
http://www.federationpeche.fr/

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back