Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
Been browsing the club shop and was wondering if anyone here as purchased the Battery Master - and if so how good are they and do they do work ?
http://shop.motorhomefun.co.uk/product/battery-master/
at the moment we keep our van in storage but have had problems with the battery not having enough bumph in it to start the engine after being left for about 10 days, we did buy a small solar panel that just connects to the battery and the panel itself can be left on the dash while its at the storage place, since doing this the battery has never gone below 13v::bigsmile: which is great news but i am always doubtful if we are out on a wild camp for a few days and it happens again - our leisure battery is always more or less at maximum as its charged by a big solar panel we had fitted to the roof when we purchased the van... I am just wondering that if the Battery Masters are as good as the description says it would make sense to feed our engine battery off the leisure battery as thats always at 100% with it being fed from the roof solar panel - I am no techi by no means so would really appreciate any feedback from you guys on which you think would be best to do :thumb:

Last edited:

OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Been browsing the club shop and was wondering if anyone here as purchased the Battery Master - and if so how good are they and do they do work ?
http://shop.motorhomefun.co.uk/product/battery-master/
at the moment we keep our van in storage but have had problems with the battery not having enough bumph in it to start the engine after being left for about 10 days, we did buy a small solar panel that just connects to the battery and the panel itself can be left on the dash while its at the storage place, since doing this the battery has never gone below 13v::bigsmile: which is great news but i am always doubtful if we are out on a wild camp for a few days and it happens again - our leisure battery is always more or less at maximum as its charged by a big solar panel we had fitted to the roof when we purchased the van... I am just wondering that if the Battery Masters are as good as the description says it would make sense to feed our engine battery off the leisure battery as thats always at 100% with it being fed from the roof solar panel - I am no techi by no means so would really appreciate any feedback from you guys on which you think would be best to do :thumb:

Will follow this thread with great interest. I have also been considering how I might rewire in order to supply charge from the solar panel to the van battery. I figured once the leisure battery is depleted I have a switch which lets me use the 12volt system from the van battery, so why not use it. And when plugged in to 240v the same switch sends charge to the van battery to charge it. So why not the same setup with the solar panel? This way I can replicate the car/van switch on the 12/240v system with the solar panel? No?

So much to learn. So impatient! lol :cry:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
yes a battery master will pass any surplus charge to the van battery, but there are cheaper solutions

1 a wire between the 2 battery's positive terminals fitted with a switch and more importantly a fuse. when parked up switch the supply on to charge the van battery from solar. if you forget the fuse will blow as the starter draws heavy current. a cheap but effective solution

2 a cheaper version of the battery master, using a relay. sold by many solar panel suppliers for about £22. still only 3 wires to connect. Broken Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 29, 2007
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1996
In the past we have used the Battery Master and it is good and very reliable.

Now though on current mh the solar panel does the job and is connected to the charging system on the Adria and also trickle charges the vehicle battery without the need for a Battery Master.

Sep 12, 2012
Wengen
Funster No
MH
A/S Broadway EL 2021
Exp
Since 2010
I have one fitted, engine battery is now always fully charged even when not on ehu, solar panels take over then :Smile:

cudleydudley

Free Member
May 5, 2008
cheshunt herts
Funster No
MH
20012 tribute t-625
Exp
2003=11years
i have one for sale

i have one used but working ,with fitting instructions, £20.00 inc post
pm me

OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I seem to have a trip switch on my car battery which switches the charging while driving to the leisure battery once it is full. I don't see the point of this when I have a solar panel. Wouldn't I be better of with it the other way around? I don't drive every day, but the sun comes up every day! lol

OP
OP
Kool Kroozer

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
CudleyDudley you have a pm (I think:ROFLMAO: have sent 2 pms to you but its not saying they have been sent:whatthe:)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I seem to have a trip switch on my car battery which switches the charging while driving to the leisure battery once it is full. I don't see the point of this when I have a solar panel. Wouldn't I be better of with it the other way around? I don't drive every day, but the sun comes up every day! lol

unfortunately not that simple.

The relay you refer to as a trip switch is triggered by the engine alternator which then switches power to the hab battery.
When the engine isnt running the relay is disabled.

If connected the other way round when you start the engine the hab battery would also supply the starter motor, which needs a few hundred amps, and the relay and wiring would be destroyed immediately.

Your fridge 12v is supplied the same way which is why it wont work on 12v if the engine isnt running.
If it did, your hab and engine batteries would be dead flat within a day.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back