Vango airway awning (1 Viewer)

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
Took delivery today of a vango kela tall airway and decided i would have a trial run of putting it up freestanding in the garden.

After 45 mins of cursing and swearing i finally got it in a resonable position, sure it would be much easier by first attaching to the MH.

I didnt get it laid out properly before knocking a few pegs in, had it a bit twisted at first but got it reasonable in the end, just as it started raining.

Going to watch the youtube video a few more times as they make it look so much easier to set up.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hi Paul

Be warned, do NEVER UNDO THE ZIPS, on the inflatable tubes as they will burst if not supported by the outers, bit like an inner tube in a bike tyre. always check that they have never moved apart, its a good idea to put some tape on the tags.

This applies to all inflatable type awnings. Vango, Kampa etc

Peter

OP
OP
PaulyP
Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
Hi Paul

Be warned, do NEVER UNDO THE ZIPS, on the inflatable tubes as they will burst if not supported by the outers, bit like an inner tube in a bike tyre. always check that they have never moved apart, its a good idea to put some tape on the tags.

This applies to all inflatable type awnings. Vango, Kampa etc

Peter

Thanks for that info Peter, if it stops raining I will tape them up, the rain is quite persistant at the moment so at least its a good test for it being waterproof. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
PaulyP
Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
I took the inflatable awning down this morning wondering if i could get it back in the bag.
It came down quite easy and once rolled up it went back in the bag very easily
It should make a big difference when erected on site.
Thanks to Johns Cross for a good deal with the 10% discount. :thumb:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
whats the score with inflatable awnings if the ground that is not level? not only level the length of the van but across the width of the awning also!

does it mean the awning rear uprights get closer ( if thats possible ) or further away from the bottom of the van to compensate. thus reducing / increasing head height or even twisting the awning.

how do they seal to the van if used into a Fiamma windout when there would be a vertical gap of around 75mm?

i have only seen them on caravans on level pitches so have no other reference.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
I doubt very much if you are going to put the van on a sloping or uneven pitch, the awning having air tubes for support can obviously twist to compensate, as to heights there are standard and tall versions on most makes.

We normally have demos erected in our upstairs showroom at Roberstbridge

Peter

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
I doubt very much if you are going to put the van on a sloping or uneven pitch, the awning having air tubes for support can obviously twist to compensate, as to heights there are standard and tall versions on most makes.

We normally have demos erected in our upstairs showroom at Roberstbridge

Peter

thanks Peter for the clarification, i am still contemplating a Privacy room versus air tube style awning.

the weight difference and easy of erection puts the air style awnings ahead, but i woud want to fit it to my Fiamma f45s as the van is very low profile ~(235cm to awning groove ) and i cannot get an awning rail under the Fiamma and above the door, it would be too low.
i am concerned that having parted with the best part of £400 + , there will be a gap between the van wall and the awning upright tubes which would be an absolute NO NO for me.

PS; there are more than a few pitches i have been on in Wales that slope :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Your best bet would be to give us a call next week and discuss it further, we have a field at the back of us that does slope and has sheep in it as well:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Peter

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
From my limited knowledge, they are no different to any other drive away awning (DAA) in that the bit that attaches to the MH doesn't have any 'tubes/poles' at the end of the attachment tunnel (ie the bit which you slot into your MH's awning rail / front of your wind-out awning). This means that you will have some play in the tunnel material to pull it tight against the side of the MH but you will still have a bit of a gap at the top due to it being on the outer edge of your wind-out awning, however you would have this with any that you attach in this way, the only alternative is instead of attaching an awning to your wind-out one, is instead to throw the straps for the tunnel over the top of your MH and secure them on the other side, assuming your DAA is tall enough for you to do this.

One thing to consider though is the angle for the joining tunnel - if it is too great you won't be able to open your habitation door without the top of it hitting the roof of the tunnel, for example the Vango Kela seems to have a greater angle than the Outdoor Revolution Oxygen versions.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Your best bet would be to give us a call next week and discuss it further, we have a field at the back of us that does slope and has sheep in it as well:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Peter
Wow ... sheep that know how to put up an awning ... film that and get it on 'You've been framed' quick!!! ::bigsmile:

Chris69

Free Member
Feb 5, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
since 2006
I don't think you can achieve a tight fit to the MH, we can't.

Ours is attached to roll out canopy and though the sides of the Kela are elastic acted I still cannot get close fit.
Other than that the Kela is very easy to erect and take down.
Chris

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
I don't think you can achieve a tight fit to the MH, we can't.

Ours is attached to roll out canopy and though the sides of the Kela are elastic acted I still cannot get close fit.
Other than that the Kela is very easy to erect and take down.
Chris

sorry guys i mislead you, i did not realise this was a driveaway awning it thought it was an Air porche type like the Kampa 260 Air...:Doh::Doh: sorry:Eeek:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
From my limited knowledge, they are no different to any other drive away awning (DAA) in that the bit that attaches to the MH doesn't have any 'tubes/poles' at the end of the attachment tunnel (ie the bit which you slot into your MH's awning rail / front of your wind-out awning). This means that you will have some play in the tunnel material to pull it tight against the side of the MH but you will still have a bit of a gap at the top due to it being on the outer edge of your wind-out awning, however you would have this with any that you attach in this way, the only alternative is instead of attaching an awning to your wind-out one, is instead to throw the straps for the tunnel over the top of your MH and secure them on the other side, assuming your DAA is tall enough for you to do this.

[HI]One thing to consider though is the angle for the joining tunnel - if it is too great you won't be able to open your habitation door without the top of it hitting the roof of the tunnel,[/HI] for example the Vango Kela seems to have a greater angle than the Outdoor Revolution Oxygen versions.

this is a problem for us with most awnings as there is only about 200mm from door top to awning rail at 235cm high:Eeek:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back