Extra Charges for Awnings!!?? (1 Viewer)

OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We decided that a week in Lynton would be nice! ::bigsmile:

I have booked us in at what looks to be a lovely site, and it appeared quite cheap. £8.50 per night. Wifi throughout and free hot showers! (Wifi is via a pre paid card) Elecrical hookup too (No mention of limits on how much power we can use but I'll bet there is!!) TV Hookups! (How does this work btw?)

So - due to the length of our motor home we have ha to book the bigger hard standing. We are 19 foot 6 inches long. The max for the smaller plots was 18 foot. Now this is described as "Standing with grass suitable for Awnings and Trailer Tents"! How exciting, thinks me, a hard standing with grassy patch for an awning. All for £8.50 per night.

Newbie error, right! lol! :RollEyes:

That's £8.50 per person per night, cos that extra person in the van takes up so much more room! lol

Oh, and if you want to put your awning up, that'll be an extra £16! Are you serious!!???? A grassy unused space by the van but if I want to extend my awning over it I have to pay an extra £16? Ridiculous!! :whatthe: Have you ever heard of such a thing?

So I have not paid that fee. Might put the awning out any way and see what happens. Yes, ladies and gents! I am the hippy anarchist! :ROFLMAO:

Any way - I just can't wait to get there now. We are booked from Monday to Friday. Lynton is a most beautiful place, we have had some happy holidays in a hotel there, but this is our first time in a camper. Very excited! :)

Free tarot card readings for anyone who would like to join us! :Smile:

Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
So what happens if you have an awning that when extended, the feet fix to the side of the van rather than on the grassy floor...:shout:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
no such thing as "free facilities" try not paying for the pitch or extra person fees and they aren't available. all in the cost I'm afraid but an awning is a walled canvas structure a canopy is just a roof offering shelter from sun or rain.

btw dont forget to wind the canopy in if the wind picks up:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Awning charge.

the awning charge generally applies to room type awnings....caravan variety.
A windout CANOPY should be free of charge....unless you start attaching wall panels.

Tv hookup.

Simply an extension cable from a booster/splitter in the site office.
Usually only found where normal reception is rubbish and your own aerial wont pull in a signal.
You may need your own extension from the hookup point if its a fixed tv socket, others are 'free standing' and are long enough to put through a window and direct to your tv.

Electric.

There will be no limit to the amount you consume but the hookup post breaker will determine how much you can use at a given time.
A 16amp breaker will allow more appliances together before tripping than a 10amp breaker.

Enjoy !

Last edited:

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
vote with my feet with a site like that.... sites that charge for dogs bug me ...:Angry:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Oi you left without paying your awning fee hee hee and you never read my tarot cards. I feel right depraved, or is it deprived Mmmmmmmmmmmm:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Lynton Site is a way away from the town, but there is a large car park that is M/H friendly in town . Just a walk up the hill to Lynton from the park, and the Tram to Lynmouth,
there's a good seafood place down there (Lynmouth) with the river on your left, it's on your right.
Just watch that narrow track into the site, some of the locals treat it like a M/Way:Doh:
Coombe Martin too is worth a visit, longest main street in Devon(?) Pub right at the end just as you start to go up the hill, decent grub there at the right price:thumb:

When you come back come back towards Minehead, through Porlock for the ride of 2014:ROFLMAO: be ready to engage 1st gear:ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
OddSocks

OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
vote with my feet with a site like that.... sites that charge for dogs bug me ...:Angry:

£10 per dog. I saw it on the list of extras. I also thought this was a complete rip off.

But it is the closest to Lynton, and we don't have a dog! lol

Thanks for your replies friends! :Smile:

Have not decided if we will take a TV or not. Might be nice to just have some quiet time. Will see how we feel.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
as David (dshague) said, i would walk with charges like that.

They get away with it and it Wont be long before theres an extra charge for the toilets and grey/black disposal, then a charge for using the sites access road etc.

OP
OP
OddSocks

OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Indeed, I don't like extra charges, but this place in within walking distance of town, so very handy, just what we wanted. Plus the wifi, and free hot showers! We didn't actually pay any extras at all yet, but will buy a wifi card on arrival, hope it won't be too expensive. This is only our second trip out in the van any way, so still learning the ropes. First time with electrical hookup too. I have no idea what the grey/black water arrangements will be. But we have a cassette toilet, some hose, 2 10 ltr jerry cans and a bucket! That should do it lol :roflmto: Such a steep learning curve being a newbie!

Jul 3, 2012
Essex
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Bought motor home two yrs ago after having caravans for 30 years
Membership number

I'm trying to find my membership number any help please ? ::bigsmile:

Dec 5, 2013
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Here it is

Pam
Funster

Funster No : 21773
About Me: Married to mick
Interests: Living
MH Type: A class
MH Model: Bessaccarr
Years Motorhoming: Bought motor home two yrs ago after having carVans for 30 years

Regards
Mike
Broken Link Removed

Soozywoozy

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Oxfordshire - edge of the cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes
Awning charge.

A windout CANOPY should be free of charge....unless you start attaching wall panels.

Thank you for that little gem - I had no idea about the awning definition and was getting het up about charges for as you say " a wind up canopy"
Does this apply to aires as well when they say " no awning as = camping"

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Awning charge.

Thank you for that little gem - I had no idea about the awning definition and was getting het up about charges for as you say " a wind up canopy"
Does this apply to aires as well when they say " no awning as = camping"

Depending on time of year you would be lucky to find an Aire with enough room to put a chair out, never mind an awning in some places. Have been on some where have had difficulty opening the hab door.

Soozywoozy

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Oxfordshire - edge of the cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes
Thanks. Just got back from Germany and France and saw a fair few awnings out, but we didn't dare as didn't think they were allowed! However that said, stayed on one german city campsite over Easter where we were like sardines and didn't have room for the awning to go out (stell platz full also)

Sep 12, 2012
Wengen
Funster No
MH
A/S Broadway EL 2021
Exp
Since 2010
£10 per dog. I saw it on the list of extras. I also thought this was a complete rip off.

But it is the closest to Lynton, and we don't have a dog! lol

Thanks for your replies friends! :Smile:

Have not decided if we will take a TV or not. Might be nice to just have some quiet time. Will see how we feel.

Come on now, you must be really tight!
£10 for a dog is very cheap, I paid nearly £300 for mine :winky:

OP
OP
OddSocks

OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp

You must remember what they say in China.

A dog is not just for Christmas.

With any luck there will be some left over for New Year! lol :ROFLMAO:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
i have seen several dogs with excellent pedigrees sell for a few thousand pounds. only a few years ago "blue" colour staffy puppies (actually a washed out brindle colour gene making them grey) were selling for £1600 a time. ridiculous money.

1Oll

Free Member
Jan 12, 2010
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A Class (German B Class!)
Exp
6+ years
Aire run by Irish Airline company..Tryitonaire?

Is the site run by an Irish airline company?
It could be called Tryitonaire!
Regards B.

We decided that a week in Lynton would be nice! ::bigsmile:

I have booked us in at what looks to be a lovely site, and it appeared quite cheap. £8.50 per night. Wifi throughout and free hot showers! (Wifi is via a pre paid card) Elecrical hookup too (No mention of limits on how much power we can use but I'll bet there is!!) TV Hookups! (How does this work btw?)

So - due to the length of our motor home we have ha to book the bigger hard standing. We are 19 foot 6 inches long. The max for the smaller plots was 18 foot. Now this is described as "Standing with grass suitable for Awnings and Trailer Tents"! How exciting, thinks me, a hard standing with grassy patch for an awning. All for £8.50 per night.

Newbie error, right! lol! :RollEyes:

That's £8.50 per person per night, cos that extra person in the van takes up so much more room! lol

Oh, and if you want to put your awning up, that'll be an extra £16! Are you serious!!???? A grassy unused space by the van but if I want to extend my awning over it I have to pay an extra £16? Ridiculous!! :whatthe: Have you ever heard of such a thing?

So I have not paid that fee. Might put the awning out any way and see what happens. Yes, ladies and gents! I am the hippy anarchist! :ROFLMAO:

Any way - I just can't wait to get there now. We are booked from Monday to Friday. Lynton is a most beautiful place, we have had some happy holidays in a hotel there, but this is our first time in a camper. Very excited! :)

Free tarot card readings for anyone who would like to join us! :Smile:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i have seen several dogs with excellent pedigrees sell for a few thousand pounds. only a few years ago "blue" colour staffy puppies (actually a washed out brindle colour gene making them grey) were selling for £1600 a time. ridiculous money.

and that makes you wonder where the chavs and terminally unemployed get the money for their 'mascot' staffy's.

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
I'll say it once more, if you don't like the charges vote with your feet or go to a site that advertises no extra charges. Plenty of them about and maybe the sites that add on all the extras will think twice.
Rant over :Smile::thumb:

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Might be best to check the wifi charge first in case its cheaper to get a mifi and data sim
David

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Indeed, I don't like extra charges, but this place in within walking distance of town, so very handy, just what we wanted. Plus the wifi, and free hot showers! We didn't actually pay any extras at all yet, but will buy a wifi card on arrival, hope it won't be too expensive. This is only our second trip out in the van any way, so still learning the ropes. First time with electrical hookup too. I have no idea what the grey/black water arrangements will be. But we have a cassette toilet, some hose, 2 10 ltr jerry cans and a bucket! That should do it lol :roflmto: Such a steep learning curve being a newbie!

I'm sure you already know but please remember

Hook Up; Van First Pole Second
Disconnect; Pole First Van Second

We all make mistakes but you don't want to make that one. :thumb:

OP
OP
OddSocks

OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm sure you already know but please remember

Hook Up; Van First Pole Second
Disconnect; Pole First Van Second

We all make mistakes but you don't want to make that one. :thumb:

Nope....... This is the first time I have heard of this.

Would the same be true when connecting the to a power socket at home, via the 13amp adapter?

Thanks for the heads up! :Smile: :thumb:

Out of interest - what happens if you do it the wrong way round?

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
If you connect to the post first, you'll be wandering around with a live mains lead!! Not good if you are on damp grass and touch one of the plug terminals or wet plug. Same applies vicky-verky when you disconnect.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
if any thing was to go wrong it would probably just trip used to be a problem in the days of fuses

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Nope....... This is the first time I have heard of this.

Would the same be true when connecting the to a power socket at home, via the 13amp adapter?

Thanks for the heads up! :Smile: :thumb:

Out of interest - what happens if you do it the wrong way round?
all cables break down over time with exposure to UV light and potentially getting physically damaged. have seen several dangerous hook up leads where the wrong type cable is used and so more subsceptible to damage from being trodden on or driven over. anyway, as you wind up or unwind a cable you are more likely to come into contact with damaged areas. if the cable is live from the post, you become a path to earth and receive a potentially fatal electrocution.

ALWAYS check your cable every time you unwind it and plug into the post last.
ALWAYS unplug from the post first then check and clean the cable as you wind it back up. a simple rag in your hand run along the cable will often show up and rough damaged areas as you clean because you feel them.
if a cable gets damaged or cracks, replace it and dont use again. if you knowingly use a damaged cable and somebody gets injured, you are responsible and legally liable

it always annoys me when i see people drive over hook up cables, as its an accident just waiting to happen. i still have a scar on my hand caused by a faulty cable about 40 years ago

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back