Baptism of fire!! (1 Viewer)

Feb 26, 2013
Pinar de Campoverde, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
It was agreed I wouldn't attempt to drive the new motorhome until we were abroad and preferably in a big empty car park first!! Stuck on A14 Glynn decided he needs a pee and says you'll be fine as were only doing 5 mph! While he's peeing for England in the bathroom the bloody traffic suddenly clears and I'm left with no choice but to drive!! No co-pilot to even guide me on my position on the road!! So left hand drive and 25 foot long!! Well apart from drifting a little bit to the right I did ok, well chuffed ::bigsmile:

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Ah nothing like being thrown in at the deepend, well done you and how far did you drive ?

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
Well done Kerry :clap::clap::clap:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Yes , Well done Kerry, has hubby reappeared from the loo yet,
Back many years ago , wifey decided similar desperate to go for a wee I said no prob I'll drive nice and steady , all of a sudden around the next corner , RED traffic light so had to apply brake bit sharpishly ( def not on purpose) but did I get it in the neck when a bedraggled wife returned who was not happy.
:rain: Terry:rain:

OP
OP
Coolbeanz
Feb 26, 2013
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
I probably only did about 2 or 3 miles but it's a start :thumb: I might try the heavy breaking next time if he drops me in it again, that might discourage him from taking so long next time:ROFLMAO:

Bluemerle

Free Member
Sep 22, 2011
Out and about
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
June 2012
At least now, you know you can drive it. Not so hard is it.:Smile:

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
When I was learning to drive in 1967 we (instructor and me) went out in the evening for a drive, we stopped of at a local hostelry and had a few drinks, he then told me I would have to drive home as he had been drinking alcohol. I'd never driven at night and had to learn about distances and dipping lights etc. For the older people the dip switch was foot operated on the floor.

I managed perfectly well and this really improved my confidence.

OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Ah! So that's how you do it!! I have yet to convince my wife to drive our MH. Guess I should be looking for a busy road after a tea break huh?! :ROFLMAO:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
I wonder how bad your driving is if he has to sit in there:ROFLMAO:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
When we bought our lhd 7.5 tonner I drove it home - over 90 miles. Baptism of fire but I was never nervous of driving it.... when we got it home we realised there was only an 8 inch clearance between stone buildings along most of the drive. I reversed it in many times and never got anywhere close to touching the walls either side. It had to be parked accurately so the driver could get out ::bigsmile:. I still miss that van and wonder what happened to it. Happy days.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
When I was learning to drive in 1967 we (instructor and me) went out in the evening for a drive, we stopped of at a local hostelry and had a few drinks, he then told me I would have to drive home as he had been drinking alcohol. I'd never driven at night and had to learn about distances and dipping lights etc. For the older people the dip switch was foot operated on the floor.

I managed perfectly well and this really improved my confidence.

Hmmm. The supervisor also has to remain alcohol free, not just the driver. I remember those floor mounted dip switches... From yesterday. The bloody thing is always on full beam when you turn on the lights.

jaytee74

Free Member
Dec 5, 2013
durham uk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt swift royale
Exp
since2007
baptism of fire

hi kerry ----glyn just to say as another cycling nut how much i enjoyed your blog i have been going to france every year for the last 20 yrs for the t-d-france butlast year i managed to get to a couple of mountain stages of the tour of spainand in 3 weeks we depart for italy lake garda then venice then 3 mountain stages of the GIRO starting with the stelvious pass then mount zoncalon so watch for me on the tele eurosport 411 or 410 or the little online gem steephilltv if i see you i will wave. my appologise to all other forum members for turning this into a cycling forum promise i wont do it again slapped wrist sent to cupboard under the stairs. jt :Cool:

OP
OP
Coolbeanz
Feb 26, 2013
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
hi kerry ----glyn just to say as another cycling nut how much i enjoyed your blog i have been going to france every year for the last 20 yrs for the t-d-france butlast year i managed to get to a couple of mountain stages of the tour of spainand in 3 weeks we depart for italy lake garda then venice then 3 mountain stages of the GIRO starting with the stelvious pass then mount zoncalon so watch for me on the tele eurosport 411 or 410 or the little online gem steephilltv if i see you i will wave. my appologise to all other forum members for turning this into a cycling forum promise i wont do it again slapped wrist sent to cupboard under the stairs. jt :Cool:

There is an unspoken rule that says all cycling discussion is permitted anywhere :ROFLMAO:I'm glad you enjoyed it. Sounds like we need to swap stories/hints/tips. I am now going to check out steep hill tv!! Hopefully see you on our travels. We are seeing the stage at Carcasonne and the time trial at Perigeux this year. The Giro is on our bucket list

jaytee74

Free Member
Dec 5, 2013
durham uk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt swift royale
Exp
since2007
Baptism of fire

There is an unspoken rule that says all cycling discussion is permitted anywhere :ROFLMAO:I'm glad you enjoyed it. Sounds like we need to swap stories/hints/tips. I am now going to check out steep hill tv!! Hopefully see you on our travels. We are seeing the stage at Carcasonne and the time trial at Perigeux this year. The Giro is on our bucket list

hi again so!!!!!!!!!! what u think of steephilltv?? brill isnt it you can go back years replay all the classics dont miss last of the monuments tomorrow! L--B--L VALVERDE FOR THE WIN AGAIN""""""""" JT

OP
OP
Coolbeanz
Feb 26, 2013
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
hi again so!!!!!!!!!! what u think of steephilltv?? brill isnt it you can go back years replay all the classics dont miss last of the monuments tomorrow! L--B--L VALVERDE FOR THE WIN AGAIN""""""""" JT

Brilliant, have saved that in my favourites, we hope to be at next year's LBL. We stayed on a beautiful campsite last year that is on the route so we plan on going back. Not a bad result for Valverde! Looking forward to TDF now ::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back