lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We are thinking of going to Denmark, Sweden and Norway this summer and wondered if anyone could advise us on what to take. We have a Caxton card that does Euro's are these widely excepted or should I take currency for each country.

Gerry

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I think you would need the Caxton Global Traveller card as opposed to the Europe Traveller. We use the Global in Bulgaria as the Europe one will not work there. Make sure you top it up well for Norway.

peter H

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2008
Neath, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Nearly 4 years
As long as you take LOTs of it, you shouldn't have much of problem.

Try thinking Cabin Trunk size !

Peter

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
A Halifax Clarity Card works everywhere, so need to worry if it's Euro, Dollars, Kroner or Dong! :thumb:

You get the best interbank exchange rates on the day with no commission and no charges on cash withdrawal. Martin Lewis of Money Saving expert fame was banging on about it being the best card for travelling on BBC R5 this lunchtime.

I use it worldwide during my travels, and pay it off in full each month, so no interest charges. You will pay interest on cash advances though, which works out at an approximate £1 per £100 withdrawn per month, so still much better than what most cards charge you for withdrawals, and that's before you factor in the other cards lousy exchange rates.

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
We are thinking of going to Denmark, Sweden and Norway this summer and wondered if anyone could advise us on what to take. We have a Caxton card that does Euro's are these widely excepted or should I take currency for each country.

Gerry

None of those countries is in EU ::bigsmile:
We took Krone to Denmark last yr-but then we always take cash and debit cards rather than these 'Electronic Travellers Cheques'

:reel: ::bigsmile:

Mike

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
HI There,Sweden and Denmark ARE EU country's Norway is Not, Your UK Debit card etc etc will work fine over here in Sweden and probably also in Denmark,at this present time in Sweden the rate is very good for UK Travelers , the hole in the walls also have English wording so there never a language problem,so no worry's just enjoy Scandinavia at its Best:thumb:

Malcolm Bolt

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2011
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
old A class
Exp
since 2011
I never change into foreign before I go anywhere.

I don't ever have cash available in advance so can't get money changed before I go. I have a current account with N & P building society. I have to have no less than £500 per month paid into it. There are no charges for purchases or cash withdrawals and there is no loading of the exchange rate either. Yesterday I used the money saving expert facility to see what they thought and it indicated I could not find better. I am not looking for credit for a holiday as I am just living my life in different places. ::bigsmile::thumb:

We were in Sweden, Denmark, Norway and Finland last summer and just used the N & P debit card the same as we would in UK.

We had a great time. Spent about eight weeks in total in Sweden and found Supermarket shopping to be the same as UK when averaged out. Drinking in bars is extremely expensive. Buy your alcohol in Germany, that's what your payload is for. :thumb::thumb:

Last edited:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We found our credit card and debit card was accepted in Norway - most larger shops also had notices to say they took Euros etc..... In Norway you can get your tax back on leaving the country if you spend over a certain amount in one shop and get the paperwork. The lady who paid us the tax back did so in sterling (or we could have asked for euros) and exchanged coins for us as well.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
From what I've read the best thing to take is a MH no longer than 6.0m long. The cost of ferries and bridges can be prohibitive otherwise.

longdog

Banned
Apr 16, 2013
Funster No
From what I've read the best thing to take is a MH no longer than 6.0m long. The cost of ferries and bridges can be prohibitive otherwise.

This is true, well in Denmark anyway. We were in Denmark last summer and we used a couple of ferries when we were in our old Hymer.

I was asked how long it was, "6.3mtrs" says I.

"6 mtrs" says the guy collecting fares on the ferry.

"No, 6.3mtrs" I repeat.

"It is 6 mtrs" he repeats.

The penny drops, "yes, it is 6mtrs" says your truly.

After I had paid and he had given me the ticket, he tells me it is double the cost for vehicles over 6 mtrs.

As for cards, we just had out NatWest and Halifax Visa debit and MasterCard credit cards. English is spoken pretty much everywhere and the campsites are the best we have ever stayed at anywhere, extremely high standards.

The Danes are lovely people, the prices are not as expensive as you may have been led to believe. In fact, on weekends, Denmark is invaded by Swedes and Norwegians who come over to shop, eat and drink! Don't get me wrong, Denmark is not cheap but it is lovely and we are going back next year.

Malcolm Bolt

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2011
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
old A class
Exp
since 2011
From what I've read the best thing to take is a MH Wlonger than 6.0m long. The cost of ferries and bridges can be prohibitive otherwise.

Not sure how prices compare re size but I am aware that discounts are available. If you are going to use a campsite you will need to get a camping card. You can get it at the first Scandinavia site you use but if you get it in advance you can get ferry discounts with it. Don't have any more info on that, we were already there when we heard about it.

A six metre van may have been cheaper if we had one but we hadn't .Buying another van to get a cheaper ferry. Now that would have been expensive. :ROFLMAO: we just looked round for the cheapest route and ended up going to Sweden from Germany. Then the Helsingborg - Helsingor crossing is not a lot.

Last edited:

Malcolm Bolt

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2011
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
old A class
Exp
since 2011
Actually you don't need to stay on sites much anyway. We stayed on one for a few days because our daughter was visiting and staying in a tent. Also another for one night to get washing done.

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp

Gerry

And don,t forget if your up around our parts on your travels ,kettles always on as its good to see new faces from the home lands just PM us,Enjoy your travels:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back