SLR Hut and Fuji FinePix X100 (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I'm looking to buy a Fuji FinePix X100 ..

SLR HUt have it at a price that seams too low for this camera.. so a bit wary about ordering..

BROKEN LINK

so two questions..

Anyone bought from SLR Hut .. legit , any problems.. would you use again ?

Anyone own the FinePix X100 .. plenty of good reviews on-line, but I like reviews from people who actual own and use.. :Smile:

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Specific answers to your questions are no & no :ROFLMAO:

but online reviews suggest they are a 'kosher' outfit
http://www.trustpilot.co.uk/review/slrhut.co.uk

I've had Fuji cameras before and have been very happy with them, I think they give a pretty good "bang for your buck" [perhaps more so at a significant discount]. Though currently I use Panasonics.

I have bought a camera cheaply from a similar HKG based operation without any problems but there are a couple of caveats (of which you may already be aware)
1. It will be a "grey import" so not a Fuji warranty, but one provided by SLRHut
2. You might be liable for HM Customs duty despite what SLRHut claim - especially if the camera is dispatched from HKG rather than the EU
3. I suspect it might be a discontinued model as Fuji's Refurbished Outlet store has them a) out of stock and b) 50% more expensive - of course an older model camera can be actually better than the one which is replacing it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Ok - intrigued by how cheap it was, I dug a little further :winky:.

Again, you maybe well aware of this.

The model you are looking at appears to be an even earlier model than the one most retailers are currently offering ie the X100 not the X100S

x100

x100s

Which would certainly explain the price differential
And again, if it is the model you've researched then the above in itself is no bad thing - I've often bought discontinued kit because it is better than the new improved recipe!

Digital Rev (the HKG based grey importer I've used before) has the updated x100s at £699 but lists the x100 as discontinued

Hope this doesn't confuse you further :Blush:.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Ok - intrigued by how cheap it was, I dug a little further :winky:.

Again, you maybe well aware of this.

The model you are looking at appears to be an even earlier model than the one most retailers are currently offering ie the X100 not the X100S

x100

x100s

Which would certainly explain the price differential
And again, if it is the model you've researched then the above in itself is no bad thing - I've often bought discontinued kit because it is better than the new improved recipe!

Digital Rev (the HKG based grey importer I've used before) has the updated x100s at £699 but lists the x100 as discontinued

Hope this doesn't confuse you further :Blush:.

ahh haa ..thanks for that, hadn't dug that deep yet.. that explains a lot..

I still like the X100 so may go for that ..

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
If your looking at digitalrev then it might also be worth looking at Panamoz as they are usually a little cheaper:

Broken Link Removed

Although I personally haven't bought from either they both have a great name and constantly get recommended on Talk Photography (largest photography forum in UK).

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
Not looked at that one Jim, brought the Fuji HS50EXR yesterday and love it so far.
Had Fuji for many years and always been pleased with performance.
Good luck with your purchase

hdvrod

Free Member
Dec 27, 2011
devon
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since jan 2011
I have had the X10 for about 18 months,brilliant camera,changed fron DSLR as I found them too bulky,this produces similar results but half the size.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I have had the X10 for about 18 months,brilliant camera,changed fron DSLR as I found them too bulky,this produces similar results but half the size.

that's my main reason for buying.. tired of lugging my Nikon DSLR around ..

good in a studio, but not out cycling, walking etc..

I have a Panasonic Lumix TZ3 which takes decent pictures.. but not on a par with the Nikon .. hence my search for a top quality compact..

I've looked at so many.. my other contender was an Olympus Pen .. but always seem to come back to the Fuji x100 ..

I'm going out tomorrow to get some 'hands on' at Jessops .. before deciding :Smile:

I've also decided to buy from 'high street' shop rather than an on-line dealer I don't know..
It's too much money to gamble on the unknown, I'd rather pay a premium knowing I can go back if there are any problems or warranty claims..

. .. we have a Jessops and a John Lewis close to home..

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
not like you Brian to be so 'negative' :winky:

As a machine to take photographs there are many much cheaper with excellent zoom lenses.

As a work of art, buy it.

Didn't Leica do one about ten times more expensive ?

Bottom line is a camera is just like a motorhome, it's what you do with it that counts.

Broken Link Removed

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
Test the delay between pressing the shutter and taking the picture.

In my experience compacts suffer from being slow compared to DSLR's.

I have the panansoic made Leica compact which has a Leica zoom lens which is great but can suffer from a slow shutter release. Wife has a smaller panasonic.

My main tool is a Canon DSLR with a selection of lenses but it can be a problem to lug around.

Problem with your choice is fixed 35mm lens which is not really wide angle for panoramas but equally not good for close up portraits. Its a compromise but can you live with it. Conversely not a bad speed at F2 compared to a likely slower speed zoom.

You know what you are likely to use it for and its sounds as if you know what you are doing so buy local after testing it out.

I would not buy from Hong Kong!

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Conversation widened.
AFAIK current Leica = rebadged Panasonic
Needless to say, the best camera is the one you have with you, even a phone camera.
Technology is such that now most cameras are perfectly adequate in most day to day situations. Especially after post processing.
The photographer is more important than the equipment.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I had a Fuji S9600 bridge camera that kept me happy for many years and I was sad to see it go, so no problems with their products here.

My main camera now is a Canon DSLR which I'm more than happy to lug around, but I recently picked up a Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ38 for peanuts and am quietly impressed by what it can do, so that's my spare camera now.

As one who makes at least part of his living flogging vintage camera kit it's interesting to note how retro styling is making a comeback in the digital market. I have a workmate who loves film and hates digital but wants to fork out for a Fuji X100 because he feels the need to update and it looks old, so that reassures him.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Technology is such that now most cameras are perfectly adequate in most day to day situations.

We seem to be in Silly Season for cameras now. Face detection, dog detection, smile detection, fart detection.

Cameras for morons it seems. Deskill everything.

PS I lied about fart detection.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I had a Fuji S9600 bridge camera that kept me happy for many years .

Ditto 9500. And before that similar but much less resolution, but it handled just as well.

Fuji seem to really understand the fixed lens digital SLR.

But as I've said in another post, so many confusing options now I think they are becoming harder to use not easier.

Last edited:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Some interesting comments about the merits or otherwise of the X100, but I actually had one.It was a lovely camera. One that you enjoy looking at and using. Sure, there are faster cameras out there, just like there are faster cars, but with the firmware upgrades, it comes pretty close to the results you would get from a decent Leica.
If you manage to get an X100s, you will be even more impressed. I bought mine just after it was released and it's just so much better than the original.
Don't be put off by the fixed lens. Years ago, that was all you had, and people took amazing pictures then.
It does make you think a bit more about composing your picture, but then, photography should be more involving than getting a fast shot with a long lens.
Where's the sense of achievement in that?
Also, the image resolution is so good that you can crop them to 100% and still get a great pictures without a zoom lens.
I also have an X20 and an XF-1 that I can slip in a pocket.
I ditched all my expensive DSLR gear a few years ago and have never missed lugging those expensive cumbersome brutes about.....
Allan

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Some interesting comments about the merits or otherwise of the X100, but I actually had one.It was a lovely camera. One that you enjoy looking at and using. Sure, there are faster cameras out there, just like there are faster cars, but with the firmware upgrades, it comes pretty close to the results you would get from a decent Leica.
If you manage to get an X100s, you will be even more impressed. I bought mine just after it was released and it's just so much better than the original.
[HI]Don't be put off by the fixed lens. Years ago, that was all you had, and people took amazing pictures then.
It does make you think a bit more about composing your picture, but then, photography should be more involving than getting a fast shot with a long lens.
Where's the sense of achievement in that?[/HI]
Also, the image resolution is so good that you can crop them to 100% and still get a great pictures without a zoom lens.
I also have an X20 and an XF-1 that I can slip in a pocket.
I ditched all my expensive DSLR gear a few years ago and have never missed lugging those expensive cumbersome brutes about.....
Allan

Thanks Allan .. that is my rational..

I cut my teeth on a Halina 35 X , a camera my dad gave me when I was about 13.. had it for donkeys years.
I learned about exposure and the relationship to shutter speed... I used it without the benefit of light meter or range finder.. later on a bought an Agfa light meter and a rangefinder that slid onto the accessory shoe.. wow .. was I made up with it..

c51df72cd87979e3e4c5440cdc70223280a747.jpg

Perhaps I am being nostalgic.. but I want a prime lens camera with a large sensor that can be used as 'point and shoot' or fully manual .. this camera ticks all MY boxes.. it won't tick all of Brian's or maybe a lot of others, but I'm buying for me .. not anyone else.

However, I do agree with Brian on it being a work of art.. and at my age, I am allowed to be indulgent.. just every now and then.. ::bigsmile:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
An interesting discussion thread that has got me thinking. I have a Nikon D70 that came with an 18-70 IF ED lens; not a bad article for a 'kit' lens. However, it was known to be prone to mechanical failure of the zoom action (which happened to me last week). My attempts to fix it have resulted in becoming the possessor of a Nikon Paperweight so I am wondering what to do next.
Do I buy an 18-55 kit Nikon lens which has been very well reviewed by Ken Rockwell - he sees no point in buying a more expensive 'standard zoom' for a DX format camera. These can be had for under £100 second-hand in mint condition and guaranteed for a year. Or do I rely on my existing 24mm f2.8, 35mm f2 and 50mm f1.8 from my days of film cameras. They are all AF lenses and are in pristine condition. It's very tempting to get back to basics, but then there is the convenience of the standard zoom and even my 24mm is not really a wide-angle on a DX camera - it's equivalent to a 36mm and I like using wides.

p.s. if anyone is really nostalgic and likes using 35mm film cameras, I have an F4S in excellent condition that is now in its box along with a much loved F801. I could be tempted to sell for a decent offer.

Last edited:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Those existing lenses sound pretty good, but, the 18-70 is an excellent lens, far better than the 18-55. There should be a few good used examples available at reasonable prices.
d70 is a really nice camera too.
Allan

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
The deed is done.. I eventually purchased from John Lewis.. they give a two year warranty.. ::bigsmile:

I am over the moon with this camera.. everything I read in the reviews is true..

It is truly a beautifully engineered camera, but more importantly, the quality of the images is stunning..

It was strange not having a zoom. but I soon felt at home with it..

Went out on Saturday evening to try it out.. was very overcast and the light was poor .. so tried few shots in monochrome... a barge at the Woodbridge quay on the River Deben, this is the jpeg as it came from the camera, no editing...

I have lots to learn and how to get the best out of it... .but I know it's the start of a love affair ..

Broken Link Removed

I cropped the image to show the resolution.. about 100%zoom..

Broken Link Removed

Last edited:

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
As others have said..........its a older model.
But still a very good camera and lens.

Someone said it was useless by todays standards....on the contrary its a superb camera capable of top quality results....better than all the smaller cameras on the market.
What I think they were referring to was that it has a fixed lens and no zoom.
Apart from that its sensor size.......and lens quality is as good as SLR cameras.

You don't really need zoom but this is a purists camera.

Having said that........I would also look at the Fuji X10 and X20 I have had a X10 for some time as well as the EXR 600 ( which for the current price is a steal)..........both have served me well
and both are pocketable. The quality is superb with both cameras.
They all represent the top level of serious point and shoot cameras.

The difference in results between my Nikons that I only use in my studio and all the fujis mentioned is only relevant if you are going to print as a professional....want to get technically very clever ..or carry a bag load of heavy lenses around with you.

Also look into lens filter sizes for the X100 as they are odd sizes and don't bother with the useless lens hood.I always like to put a UV filter on any lens I can to protect the original glass.

As for the price I think its probably legitimate ...Im sure you will enjoy it ......

barry

ps a bit late on the thread...............well done some lovely results.........superb little camera.

Last edited:
OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
As others have said..........its a older model.
But still a very good camera and lens.

Someone said it was useless by todays standards....on the contrary its a superb camera capable of top quality results....better than all the smaller cameras on the market.
What I think they were referring to was that it has a fixed lens and no zoom.
Apart from that its sensor size.......and lens quality is as good as SLR cameras.

You don't really need zoom but this is a purists camera.

Having said that........I would also look at the Fuji X10 and X20 I have had a X10 for some time as well as the EXR 600 ( which for the current price is a steal)..........both have served me well
and both are pocketable. The quality is superb with both cameras.
They all represent the top level of serious point and shoot cameras.

The difference in results between my Nikons that I only use in my studio and all the fujis mentioned is only relevant if you are going to print as a professional....want to get technically very clever ..or carry a bag load of heavy lenses around with you.

Also look into lens filter sizes for the X100 as they are odd sizes and don't bother with the useless lens hood.I always like to put a UV filter on any lens I can to protect the original glass.

As for the price I think its probably legitimate ...Im sure you will enjoy it ......

barry

ps a bit late on the thread...............well done some lovely results.........superb little camera.

thanks barry..:Smile:

didn't get the one one from SLR Hut .. i bought the x100s from J Lewis..

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Had a few days to play now and I love this camera, it is exceeding all my expectations.. far from useless.. quite the opposite.. it is amazing.

As with all cameras, it has limitations, with a fixed 35mm lens it would be little good for wildlife, but if I want to shoot rabbits or birds I have a nice AirArms .22 rifle.. :winky:

This image processed in Photomatrix.. thanks Dave (shiftzz) for pointing me to it and the help using it.. :thumb:

River Deben at Wilford Bridge

Broken Link Removed

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
OH NO Jim and you were doing so well.............You have a great camera..........and then you go and ham things up with HDR
software.
In one swift move a good pic is transformed into a sentimental amateur chocolate box lid or a jigsaw puzzle that your auntie might like.

The black and white stuff was really nice....you don't need tasteless trickery. YUK!

I hate HDR programs as you may have guessed its crude and nasty and easy for people who cant take a decent pic in the first place...Stay with normal output of the wonderful 100s and concentrate on good photography not circus tricks .

If you want a useful bit of software to use alongside photoshop try Athentech Imaging....which can at least genuinely and easily improve a lot of images
Ken Rockwell uses it a lot

barry:Smile:

Last edited:
OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
OH NO Jim and you were doing so well.............You have a great camera..........and then you go and ham things up with HDR
software.
In one swift move a good pic is transformed into a sentimental amateur chocolate box lid or a jigsaw puzzle that your auntie might like.

The black and white stuff was really nice....you don't need tasteless trickery. YUK!

I hate HDR programs as you may have guessed its crude and nasty and easy for people who cant take a decent pic in the first place...Stay with normal output of the wonderful 100s and concentrate on good photography not circus tricks .

If you want a useful bit of software to use alongside photoshop try Athentech Imaging....which can at least genuinely and easily improve a lot of images
Ken Rockwell uses it a lot

barry:Smile:

constructive criticism always welcome..:thumb:

I'm at the try things out stage .. that's the beauty of digital photography.. it costs nothing to take plenty and play with images and software.. and the original is never lost ..

Have Elements 11 , will have a try/look at Athentech image plug in .. :Smile:

as it came out the camera..
Broken Link Removed

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread