New engine needed for Hymer B544 1992 (1 Viewer)

Aye Mya

Free Member
Apr 23, 2014
Brighton
Funster No
MH
A class motorhome
Exp
New
Hi all,
I've just found out that I need a new engine for my Hymer that I bought 2 months ago.
I was used once and for some reason burnt oil and the people I lent it to let to run out without realising. Now there is no oil pressure.
Any advice?

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
It might be best to ID your engine type first.

Breakers yards aren't going to have a clue what engine a Hymer has. They might however, have an engine for a ducato van of a similar age.

It might be worth PMing Bill the Drill, he has seen more than his fair share of older Ducato engines lately!:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Hi all,
I've just found out that I need a new engine for my Hymer that I bought 2 months ago.
I was used once and for some reason burnt oil and the people I lent it to let to run out without realising. Now there is no oil pressure.
Any advice?

Is there any evidence of con-rod failure? Does it still turn over by hand? (Do NOT use the starter, but use a large spanner on the crank end sprocket).

Christian.

OP
OP
A

Aye Mya

Free Member
Apr 23, 2014
Brighton
Funster No
MH
A class motorhome
Exp
New
Is there any evidence of con-rod failure? Does it still turn over by hand? (Do NOT use the starter, but use a large spanner on the crank end sprocket).

Christian.

I have no idea as it's in with the garage. What if it can?
Mainly I'm just wondering whether to pay for a rebuild instead of risking another rubbish engine.

buyer

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 29, 2008
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
american coach
Exp
20 plus another 12years tugging/small campers
I would speak to my brother andy (ratvan) on here,or phone him on 01509 815805. As he has been selling and breaking vans of all types for aprox 20 years,I am sure if anyone knows the answer he will, good look.:thumb:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Hi all,
Any advice?

I assume this was a private sale? Otherwise take it back. Even "home traders" are covered by the law if they deal in vehicles but not if it is a genuine private sale.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
If the van is still in Ilfracombe you may be lucky as there is an engine reconditioning firm less than 10 miles away. either you or the garage can arrange the engine to be removed, taken for rebuild and then refitted. Bill the drill is currently in Cornwall having left Ilfracombe on Tuesday, he might be up for it if he has time but I suspect he has to be back on the rig next week.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I have no idea as it's in with the garage. What if it can?
Mainly I'm just wondering whether to pay for a rebuild instead of risking another rubbish engine.

If it turns, you may be lucky, it may just need the oil leak sorting and some new oil. It will have caused some damage, but might not have been fatal.

If it seized, it may still be retrievable. It would depend on the engine. Something highly strung is probably a write-off, but a solid Merc might possibly be reamed out, new rings, bearing shells, crankshaft, oil seals and away you go...

If there is a con-rod through the crank case, forget it.

Also, if you need a new engine and don't look like a mug, consider the really dodgy recon engine places. They'll fleece you as soon as look at you, but if you don't look like a pushover, you can get your engine swapped with something that turns for a good price. It won't be like new, but it will drive the vehicle. Scrapyards can be a cheap, but there is an element of risk unless you know the vehicle was scrapped for reasons other than the engine.

What you don't do is go to the manufacturer for a brand new engine for £8K, unless it happens to be a Chevrolet, where a 5.7L V8 long block (complete with cylinder heads) can be had brand new for £2K, including delivery, duty and VAT.

OP
OP
A

Aye Mya

Free Member
Apr 23, 2014
Brighton
Funster No
MH
A class motorhome
Exp
New
It was a private sale.
I guess another question has this happened to anyone and what did they do?
I know it will cost either way but my thinking is is at least rebuilding means I know that it has been done and means much more life, but a new engine might be just as bad as old one??
Thanks for your replies.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I assume this was a private sale? Otherwise take it back. Even "home traders" are covered by the law if they deal in vehicles but not if it is a genuine private sale.

As far as am aware no vehicle is covered for anything to do with the driver allowing the engine to run without oil. New, old, dealer or private sale. Any engine that is run without oil will cancel any warranty that there may have been. Even on a new vehicle, any damage caused by lack of oil will not be covered under warranty.

geo glasgow

Free Member
Feb 2, 2014
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail cheyenne
Exp
in agree go for recon with warranty

Get a recon short engine and let them pay for it they let the oil run out.:thumb:
get the guys u loaned it to to pay for it there around £1000 or 1200 if your engine is no use to them meanuing conrod topend or bottom is banged out the main engine linning or casing ,, scrap in otherwords , however please make sure that you remove your injectors in one piece as there costly to replace apprx £600 for a set of warrantied reconditioned,, do not snap them,, better still what area are you ??

geo glasgow

Free Member
Feb 2, 2014
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail cheyenne
Exp
this is very good advice but what engine is in it thats gone,

If it turns, you may be lucky, it may just need the oil leak sorting and some new oil. It will have caused some damage, but might not have been fatal.

If it seized, it may still be retrievable. It would depend on the engine. Something highly strung is probably a write-off, but a solid Merc might possibly be reamed out, new rings, bearing shells, crankshaft, oil seals and away you go...

Also, if you need a new engine and don't look like a mug, consider the really dodgy recon engine places. They'll fleece you as soon as look at you, but if you don't look like a pushover, you can get your engine swapped with something that turns for a good price. It won't be like new, but it will drive the vehicle. Scrapyards can be a cheap, but there is an element of risk unless you know the vehicle was scrapped for reasons other than the engine.

What you don't do is go to the manufacturer for a brand new engine for £8K, unless it happens to be a Chevrolet, where a 5.7L V8 long block (complete with cylinder heads) can be had brand new for £2K, including delivery, duty and VAT.

is the engine type known ??

OP
OP
A

Aye Mya

Free Member
Apr 23, 2014
Brighton
Funster No
MH
A class motorhome
Exp
New

It's a Citroen 1992. And it had turned but now it's seized :(

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
It's a Citroen 1992. And it had turned but now it's seized :(

If its the turbo diesel on a 92 Citroen and the 2.5 ltr, its the engine from the Citroen CX. The chances of finding a good one of those second hand is zilch am afraid.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
It was a private sale.
I guess another question has this happened to anyone and what did they do?
I know it will cost either way but my thinking is is at least rebuilding means I know that it has been done and means much more life, but a new engine might be just as bad as old one??
Thanks for your replies.

It happened to me. I bought a brand new V8 engine (despite being a 1978 model). I would have reconditioned properly, but the quote was higher than the new engine and that was assuming the block was OK. It is very unlikely that a European new engine could be found for that price. I was also considering the fact that fitting the engine to my model was extraordinarily complicated, so fitting costs were high also. Unusually, you need to drop the engine down, which requires complete removal of the front suspension, brakes, transmission etc. Due to these costs, getting an engine that was definitely good was essential.

Which engine is it? What size is it? Is it a Peugeot XUD or something else really common?

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
If its the turbo diesel on a 92 Citroen and the 2.5 ltr, its the engine from the Citroen CX. The chances of finding a good one of those second hand is zilch am afraid.

Well, you'll find them easily enough, but they're unashamedly classic, so will be very expensive.

If it is that engine, rebuild is looking tempting, if there is no crankcase damage.

OP
OP
A

Aye Mya

Free Member
Apr 23, 2014
Brighton
Funster No
MH
A class motorhome
Exp
New
It's a 1992 Citroen diesel 2.5 litre.
So a rebuild it is then.
Any ideas what I'm looking at cost wise so I know a ball park?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
As far as am aware no vehicle is covered for anything to do with the driver allowing the engine to run without oil. New, old, dealer or private sale. Any engine that is run without oil will cancel any warranty that there may have been. Even on a new vehicle, any damage caused by lack of oil will not be covered under warranty.

Good point. Any case would revolve around the rate it was burning oil but given the circumstances I guess the evidence trail has gone cold.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
So a rebuild it is then.

It is very variable depending on the availability of parts and the condition of what you have. Luckily that engine is an inline 4, which reduces the number of cylinder and valves. The first thing is to get the crankcase and cylinder heads non-destructively tested for cracks.

If that is clear and you go for rebore, skim, new crankshaft, bearings, valves, springs, etc. You are looking at £1000-£2000 plus fitting, which depends if it is a quick hoist out, or a complete suspension rebuild (like mine...)

geo glasgow

Free Member
Feb 2, 2014
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail cheyenne
Exp
with recon or rebuild

So a rebuild it is then.

there is a couple of further issues that work in your favour
you get the clutch and the timing done at the same time of engine being put back in van,,
remember all the extras around the engine need removed then put back on,, horrible job,,
then all new belts and as i said the injectors need removed thats if it has injectors
also you have reconditioned and re manufactured,, google what is what..

the cost section is as follows,
some refurb and recon garages do all of the above ,
remove strip recon and reinsert incl timing etc, done dusted warrantied.

some only recon striped down engines down meaning engine caseing top and bottom without the pulleys injectors turbo belts water pump fuel pump etc,, they arr5ive they take apprx 4-5 days then you get the same engine back if its niot blown the casing however you can get a reconditioned refurbed engine with full 24 months or 100k warranty on a pallet delivered for around £1000 as new zero milage,, its ap to u you have 3 main guys round your way in brighton that do all of the above or if you can get the van lifeted to london there is a few that will do the lot for you i used these guys with a van of ours that was in london engine swapped and running in 5 hours complete,
http://www.replacementengines.co.uk/car-md.asp?part=all-toyota-corolladiesel-engine&mo_id=31428

good luck,:thumb:

if your in the AA or similar they may lift the van to there,,:Eeek:

sadlonelygit

Free Member
Jan 28, 2014
forest of dean
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
since 1975
surely it's a SEVAL chassis, so the pug 2.5 will fit
if it's been run dry, the turbo wil be goosed as well.
find a rusty old pug van and gut the engine/trans

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
There is a bloke in Shermanbury on the A281 who sells old Citroen's, especially CX's. You can't miss them, there's usually 5 or 6 parked up at the side of the road. He may very well have an engine or two lying about. Sorry I can't help with details like phone numbers or address - it's just that I used to drive past there most weeks on my way to and from Brighton.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
if it has the sofam engine Coad 8140 -8141 a ducato or a boxer will do the job look out of the box when looking for a engine the engine were fitted to a few different vehicles you do need to get the engine code
best regards bill

Wickolad

Free Member
Sep 10, 2013
Wickersley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie to MH, 20yrs+ Caravanning.
get the guys u loaned it to to pay for it there around £1000 or 1200 if your engine is no use to them meanuing conrod topend or bottom is banged out the main engine linning or casing ,, scrap in otherwords , however please make sure that you remove your injectors in one piece as there costly to replace apprx £600 for a set of warrantied reconditioned,, do not snap them,, better still what area are you ??

As above, I've always believed in 'If you borrow it and break it, you fix it.' Simple as that. :thumb:
I just feel for you as it seems some people don't live by that rule.:Angry:

Nigel67

Free Member
Jan 26, 2013
Devon/Cornwall border
Funster No
MH
Hymer b544
Exp
since 2003
May be a long shot but this guy had a 2.5td engine for sale before Christmas and I don't think it sold then. Try this eBay item number( 151136579087 ) to maybe contact him and see if he still has it.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
May be a long shot but this guy had a 2.5td engine for sale before Christmas and I don't think it sold then. Try this eBay item number( 151136579087 ) to maybe contact him and see if he still has it.
I know the guy that was selling it he may still have it

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
There is a bloke in Shermanbury on the A281 who sells old Citroen's, especially CX's. You can't miss them, there's usually 5 or 6 parked up at the side of the road. He may very well have an engine or two lying about. Sorry I can't help with details like phone numbers or address - it's just that I used to drive past there most weeks on my way to and from Brighton.

Actually went past there today on the way back from Brighton, and there are 3 Citroens out front, but no phone number visible.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back