Free Member
Apr 23, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
Exp
I,m newby
Hi all I looking for some advice I,m a newby on this forum ,I am disabled but not wheel chair needy ( laryngectomee) as a result I receive motabilaty allowance, and I'm looking for some advice as to whether I can get a campervans on the scheme or any other ways to go about it I would very much appreciate any good advice,or tips thank you in advance, "Wombal ":thumb:

Last edited:

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
Hi and :welcome: To MHF, I don't think you can get a mh on the disability mobility allowance, but you buy what you want so any mh will do, you just have to find out what type of layout you want, also if your were to buy from a dealer and VAT was involved, then I think it will be VAT free because of your disability???. so insist on this VAT free deal, but no VAT if you buy privately. What you need to do as there is so many ifs and buts and such a massive outlay, is attend one of the Rallys and have a good chat to some of us, it will save you thousands and tons of stress. But otherwise just ask away whenever you need help or advice.
Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

Momo

Free Member
Sep 19, 2008
Valencia City, Spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie.
Hi Wombal and welcome to the Fun! :welcomefunster:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Hi and welcome Wombal, I think you will find there aren't any camper vans on the 'scheme', regarding purchasing a camper van VAT free, the criteria for that is you must be wheelchair reliant and the vehicle you wish to purchase must have a modification on it to assist your disability.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hi and :welcome: To MHF, I don't think you can get a mh on the disability mobility allowance, but you buy what you want so any mh will do, you just have to find out what type of layout you want, also if your were to buy from a dealer and VAT was involved, then I think it will be VAT free because of your disability???. so insist on this VAT free deal, but no VAT if you buy privately. What you need to do as there is so many ifs and buts and such a massive outlay, is attend one of the Rallys and have a good chat to some of us, it will save you thousands and tons of stress. But otherwise just ask away whenever you need help or advice.
Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

The Vat free scheme is not that easy, do not be fooled by a pushy dealer who says it is because if HMRC investigate and find you are not entitled the proverbial could hit the fan for both you and the dealer

Peter

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
The Vat free scheme is not that easy, do not be fooled by a pushy dealer who says it is because if HMRC investigate and find you are not entitled the proverbial could hit the fan for both you and the dealer

Peter

Greetings,

I think we can assume (dangerous word) that if the OP already has the Mobility Allowance because of his Disability and is eligible for a Motobility vehicle, HMRC would have to argue with another Government Department that the OP was or was not Disabled.
I'd pay good money to listen to two 'Sir Humphrey's' arguing the merits or otherwise of that one!

geo glasgow

Free Member
Feb 2, 2014
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail cheyenne
Exp
i picked up an auto trail one owner

ok was cheaper than normal and needed some mechanical work that im doing now but 5 months back its been great every weekend with both or one of my twins who are wheelchair users with CP , we get on with it,, however the door is extra wide full wheelchair in , yes i could get a lift or hoist but fold out portable ramps are great ,
not sure how much usag of your limbs you have or weither you will be driving etc but take the plunge look around and simply use your mobility money to buy private or a dealer ,, start of with maybe a van conversion for not a lot of money see if its for you because its either for you or not and a large motorhome may cost a lot and not be for you??
get out there and enjoy and welcome to the forum/site.::bigsmile::Smile:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Greetings,

I think we can assume (dangerous word) that if the OP already has the Mobility Allowance because of his Disability and is eligible for a Motobility vehicle, HMRC would have to argue with another Government Department that the OP was or was not Disabled.
I'd pay good money to listen to two 'Sir Humphrey's' arguing the merits or otherwise of that one!

Motability is a can of worms as is the zero-rating for VAT. A person may get a mobility allowance but not qualify for motability..... it depends on circumstances and the type / severity of disability.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Motability is a can of worms as is the zero-rating for VAT. A person may get a mobility allowance but not qualify for motability..... it depends on circumstances and the type / severity of disability.

Greetings,

I stand corrected. (I'd still like to to see the argument between the two Government Grandees though!!!)

OP
OP
W

wombal

Free Member
Apr 23, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
Exp
I,m newby
a big thank you to you all!!

Hi all all your points much appreciated, and yes I think I will be looking at say a van conversion not least cause they will be more within reach price wise,and coming to an event to speak to people who have already done this and made the move would be a good idea! Just have to attend a few meets now.
Kind regaurds Wombal:thumb:

longdog

Banned
Apr 16, 2013
Funster No
OK, I personally know a couple from the Port Talbot area who have purchased a Swift Bolero from a well known Bridgend based company,on mobility, on the pretence it was to be used for his 80 odd year old mother.

His mother lives with his sister in Dover and, to the best of my knowledge, she has only ever seen the van from the outside! Yeah, rattles my cage too.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Greetings,

As Gooney correctly said, the criteria for zero rating is not whether or not someone is disabled, but whether or not they are a wheelchair or stretcher user & whether the vehicle has been 'substantially & permanently' modified to allow a wheelchair or stretcher user to access & use the vehicle.

It is therefore possible to qualify for Mobility Allowance, but not be eligible to have a vehicle zero rated.

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
rules for claiming here Broken Link Removed

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Hi all I looking for some advice I,m a newby on this forum ,I am disabled but not wheel chair needy ( laryngectomee) as a result I receive motabilaty allowance, and I'm looking for some advice as to whether I can get a campervans on the scheme or any other ways to go about it I would very much appreciate any good advice,or tips thank you in advance, "Wombal ":thumb:
a laryngectomee by itself does not qualify you for VAT relief for any vehicle, nor the motability scheme. to qualify for motability you need to be in receipt of DLA mobility component at the highest rate. to get DLA high rate mobility you need to be substantially disabled and or need assistance moving around. to get this you need to undergo medical investigations and be backed by a doctor. Things are getting tighter all the time and even many genuine cases are turned down, think ATOS!.

as for putting motorhomes on the contract hire scheme, that wont happen any time soon, or the advance payments will be huge. DLA mobility component only pays about £7500 over the course of a 3 year hire or up to £10,000 for a 4 year hire purchase. neither figure will get you in the drivers seat of a new motorhome unless you have funds to pay the remainder of the cost

as for somebody cheating the system to buy a motorhome for somebody else such as granny and using their disability to get VAT relief when they will never benefit from it, well that is simply fraud plain and simple.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back