Free Member
Jan 9, 2013
North East
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2010
I don't do techie :Sad:, haven't the brain for it, but as himself has asked me the question, I thought I could find out from you lovely people and then be all knowledgeable when I answer him. :winky: We have two 110 AMP leisure batteries which are fed on solar power. On the basis that we use quite a bit of 'leccie what is the recommended lowest discharge level before I need to recharge using either a hook up or genie please.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If you have an Autotrail you'll most likely have a Sargent electrical system. Their manual should tell you about battery operation. They usually recommend you [HI]don't let the leisure battery drop below 10V. [/HI]

Have a look for yours here:
http://sargentshop.co.uk/epages/esh...964/Categories/TechData/"Product Information"

a battery showing 10 volts is no longer a battery, its a plastic box containing distilled water and acid.

Recommended discharge state is 50% of full charge, when no load is applied, which equates to approx 12.2 volts.

The same battery may show 10v under heavy load for a short time (30 or 40 amp load) but will recover to 12.2v when the heavy load is removed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Have you thought of a Solar Panel,?:RollEyes:

I don't do techie :Sad:, haven't the brain for it, but as himself has asked me the question, I thought I could find out from you lovely people and then be all knowledgeable when I answer him. :winky: We have two 110 AMP leisure batteries [HI]which are fed on solar power[/HI]. On the basis that we use quite a bit of 'leccie what is the recommended lowest discharge level before I need to recharge using either a hook up or genie please.

:ROFLMAO:

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I don't do techie :Sad:, haven't the brain for it, but as himself has asked me the question, I thought I could find out from you lovely people and then be all knowledgeable when I answer him. :winky: We have two 110 AMP leisure batteries which are fed on solar power. On the basis that we use quite a bit of 'leccie what is the recommended lowest discharge level before I need to recharge using either a hook up or genie please.

Don't go under 12.0V. However, the exact cutoff depends on your taste for buying new batteries. If you keep them above 12.5V (without overcharging and checking water level), they can last many decades. If you let them down to 10V even once, they'll probably be severely damaged. You can go down regularly to about 11.6V if you don't mind paying for new batteries every couple of seasons.

These are voltages not under load. A battery actually at 12.3V can show under 12V with a several hundred watts coming out of the inverter.

OP
OP
A

Another Lesley

Free Member
Jan 9, 2013
North East
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2010
Thank you everyone for taking the time and trouble to answer my question, now I can sound knowledgeable and by learning by rote PapaJohns answer I sounded very clever even if only for a few seconds::bigsmile:
...so thankyou :)

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
a battery showing 10 volts is no longer a battery, its a plastic box containing distilled water and acid.

Recommended discharge state is 50% of full charge, when no load is applied, which equates to approx 12.2 volts.

The same battery may show 10v under heavy load for a short time (30 or 40 amp load) but will recover to 12.2v when the heavy load is removed.

That's exactly what I always understood. I thought 10V too low but that's a professional's recommendation?? You'll also find Sargent distribution panels let the voltage go lower than 10V before they shut down 'to protect your battery'.

Who do you believe Sargent or others?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back