No Oven? (1 Viewer)

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
We are on the lookout for a new to us van and have seen a couple we think are ideal but the favourite does not have an oven and it looks as though space is to tight to put one in, now baring in mind how we love wild camping so 12v or gas are the only options, what do other forum members use in place of an oven????:helpsos:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
You can get 12v slow cookers and microwaves but do you really need this sort of appliance? Our new-to-us motorhome doesn't have an oven either but when I checked how often I use the oven at home I realised it wasn't a necessity and if we wanted a roast dinner we could either eat out or buy a hot chicken in a supermarket.

It might be worth checking just how often you are likely to use an oven when you are away - you might be surprised!

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Clay oven in the ground to cook the Hedgehogs (Dead) on.

Put the Kettle on top and get hot water as a bonus, and save even more gas.

This is "Real" wild camping.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Had ovens in caravans for nearly 20 years, motorhome does not have on, do we need one NO.

We have a microwave off solar and batteries, and a gas kettle BBQ for cooking meat and Pizzas.

Martin

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
My RMB did not come with an oven and we use the oven a lot. As a matter of fact I have a nice piece of pork loin in there now.
I bought from Johns Cross a Kampa Roastmaster oven with 2 ring hob. This fits in the garage with its own dedicated gas bottle and we use it for most cooking outside. Preferring to cook outside than in the van. A lot of course depends on how you use your van. We are away for long periods of time, so like our Sunday roast. If I was only using the van for weekends and the odd couple of weeks holidays then I could manage without an oven. Our style of motorhoming means we take all our home comforts with us.

Attachments

• Roastmaster oven 004.jpg
    Roastmaster oven 004.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 138
  • Roastmaster oven 002.jpg
    Roastmaster oven 002.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 135
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
We use a Double Skillet (contentious issue I know) and our new toy which we have yet to use is a Swedish Omnia stove top oven!

Still to buy a pressure cooker but that will have to wait until we return from Scandanavia in September ::bigsmile:

We eat well and properly and we don't really find the lack of 'real' oven any problem. I should add that we have spent over 200 days away in the last 12 months so for us the van is no 'weekend thing' ::bigsmile:

Do you need an oven? not really........ Do you want an oven? only you can answer that!

Enjoy either way :Smile:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
As you can see an oven and it's use is a very individual issue.

If you need one you will find a way to fit one or chose a van that has one already fitted.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The oven in our Autoquest still had the paper stickers on the inside when we bought it - and when Asda wrote it off - as it was used only for storage. We don't use the oven in the Burstner for anything but storage either.

We bought a Double Skillet a few years ago and use that most of the time.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
It's very much an individual thing. I've rare
Y used mine but I don't like cooking and on my own a full roast dinner doesn't seem worth the bother.
I use the microwave more.

Of course it's difficult for you to weigh up in advance so if in doubt go for one with an oven as long as it doesn't compromise on other things you find essential.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Don't have an oven and we've never missed it. We cook with saucepans and frying pan on a three-ring hob. Also have a small Cadac for use in summer. We have carried a Remoska around for six years and used it once!

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Funny old life innit we use our oven all the time and would never buy a van that didn't have one or a space to fit one. We also have a Remoska which we can run off the inventor going along so often turn up on site to a nice roast dinner. As for microwave might use it 3 times a year took it out and fitted it in the garage. :thumb:

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We have an oven.. But although we use it for larger joints etc.. We use the double skillet for roasting and most of our cooking..

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Funny old life innit we use our oven all the time and would never buy a van that didn't have one or a space to fit one. We also have a Remoska which we can run off the inventor going along so often turn up on site to a nice roast dinner. As for microwave might use it 3 times a year took it out and fitted it in the garage. :thumb:

When looking for a new van, to us, first thing we needed was a see through roof , 2 an oven and 3 a u shape Lounge, anything else was whatever came in as small van as poss and think we found it, no microwave and even done away with sink in toilet:Eeek: but must have oven

Styx

Free Member
May 1, 2010
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Any/all of the above, there's as many alternatives as there are funsters - but what does Mrs Wizzer want in her new van...? :Smile:

:winky:

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
I carry a Remoska and you can cook almost anything in it, the most versatile piece of cooking utensil I have ever seen or used!!!!!!!, I have so far cooked chicken casserole, chops with roast potatoes and veg, chicken with potatoes and veg, and a fantastic chocolate cake so far but never used my oven as this uses precious gas (hard to get when you are plotted up somewhere) and keep the gas for the fridge and my heating when needed, also boil my small camping electric kettle (2 cups) to save further gas and the solar panels help recharge the batteries, 2 x 140amp massive truck like battery's and 1800w inverter when wild camping. Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
We have always had an oven. When tent camping, we have a Flavel freestanding small 2 burner/grill/oven caravan type cooker we would take with us when we loaded up all the stuff in a trailer, along with the freestanding fridge etc etc etc.

There was a full stove in our caravn but as we sited it for 6 months of the year, I used the freestanding one in the awning and more or less just boiled kettles inside the van.

Then we bought a motorhome and of course, we wanted an oven so we bought the appropriate van to suit and last year, replaced van with ditto.

It was literally YEARS before we had a lightbulb moment and realised we could have chips (other than take away ones) in the moho, by purchasing oven chips!

However it is rarely used - if you want a roast dinner or baked goods, it takes TIME and that means, you have to stay in/near the van whilst you are cooking it whereas to grill or dry fry takes minutes. This winter yes it did get used more as we weren't out and about as much as we like to be when the weather is better, and even when it was, Pete's knee was playing up so we couldn't walk anywhere near as far as we usually do.

It's all down to how you will live in the van yourselves ...... and only you know that.

In a normal van you wouldn't have room I don't suppose to do as Snowbird does; I know we wouldn't either in the first van or this one - otherwise we could have bought a continental sans oven and used the full cooker we've had for years, couldn't we?.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
-.... if you want a roast dinner or baked goods, it takes TIME and that means, you have to stay in/near the van whilst you are cooking it .....

no no no.. you need to think out of the box.. :Doh:

you cook your full English roast dinner while travelling.... ::bigsmile:

the swaying of the van bastes the spuds.. :roflmto:

Last edited:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
no no no.. you need to think out of the box.. :Doh:

you cook your full English roast dinner while travelling.... ::bigsmile:

the swaying of the van bastes the spuds.. :roflmto:

Not quite as daft as it first sounds Jim. I often put a stew in the slow cooker and run it off the inverter whilst on the road all day. It sits inside a sealed plastic storage box wedged in the garage with a strap over it. In the event of an accident I wouldn't want beef stroganoff down the back of my neck.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Not quite as daft as it first sounds Jim. I often put a stew in the slow cooker and run it off the inverter whilst on the road all day. It sits inside a sealed plastic storage box wedged in the garage with a strap over it. In the event of an accident I wouldn't want beef stroganoff down the back of my neck.

We do the same with the Remoska I have it clamped in the sink trouble is the smell makes us hungry as we're going along ::bigsmile: Last week we cooked a chicken in the Remoska as we were driving to Shell Island but that bloody Bungy eat it when we got there and had more roast spuds than me greedy bugger. :ROFLMAO:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
One of our priorities was an oven. We looked at a couple of Chaussons and others that had no ovens, small ovens or ovens above your head. We have a full size oven with 4 rings, a grill and separate oven.
Apart from my Fray Bentos pies, we are both vegetarian.:RollEyes:
The oven cooks bread, Pasta bakes, pies, pizzas, chips, cakes, biscuits, baked spuds, roast vegetables, battered fish, bread and butter pudding, veggy crisps....... the list goes on.
None of them take long, we can sit down in the afternoon with a beer / glass of wine, after a long drive and dinner is only an hour away.
We also have a Remoska and a double skillet for the times when we don't need the oven on.

Allan

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Wouldn't be without my oven, albeit a small one. It was one of my considerations when buying a van. We have a Cadac for outside use and have never really fancied a microwave. ::bigsmile:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Saves money as well if you bungee the roasting dish under the bonnet and use the engine heat :roflmto:

you may well jest.. my dad used to keep our fish and chips hot till we got home by putting them on top of the exhaust manifold.. sometimes they smelled a bit .. :roflmto:

M

Madwife

Deleted User
We use our oven a lot and don't have a microwave. I have a remoska at home and it's good but wouldn't bring it in the mh.

Kath

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
We couldn't be without the oven.......having had one in our previous van as well. Whilst using the oven to cook something, I always put the plates on the base of the grill (take the grill tray out) and the heat from the oven heats the plates up at the same time:thumb:

I could do with another shelf in our oven, we had two shelves in our caravan oven, but only had one in both motorhomes.

Probably wouldn't buy a van that didn't have an oven. But we've yet to decide whether to buy a microwave or not.

Margaret

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back