Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Brechin
Funster No
MH
Swift royale 540
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi all, my Carver 3000s fire is knacked and I was wondering if it was easy to take out and replace with another heater. I was looking at a Thermx on eBay a few weeks ago, what do you experts think?

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i have used thermex catalytic heaters for years . great bits of kit .
i also have used blue flame thermex heaters . not so keen on using them over night though .
my mate does he says its ok . they do have all the cut out bits on them .

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

Mick James

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Brechin
Funster No
MH
Swift royale 540
Exp
I'm a newbie
thanks

Thanks for that VWAlan. Just need to know if the fire is easy to take out or is it a chew on, and is it easy to fit a Thermx in its place :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Hi all, my Carver 3000s fire is knacked and I was wondering if it was easy to take out and replace with another heater. I was looking at a Thermx on eBay a few weeks ago, what do you experts think?

My only concern would be with potential fumes. I like to be able to leave the heating on when it is cold. The Carver unit was designed for the task and fitted in such a way as to be safe with, presumably, good ventilation of any fumes. Would you feel confident about an alternative unit matching the safety aspects of the original Carver.
EBAY = Carver Caravelle 4 Gas Fire + Thermostatic Control Caravan Campervan Conversion
£29.95
0 bids
+ £15.00 postage

Alan

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland

also had them in several caravans.. as Alan said.. good kit..

they do not produce CO gas, but do need adequate ventilation as they consume O2 and also produce a fair amount or condensation..

also bear in mind.. they are not approved for use in new build motorhomes or caravans..so that may affect you insurance.. worth checking..

personally I would have the Carver repaired or looked at.. there's not a lot to go wrong with them and IMO better and safer than a catalytic heater

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Catalytic heaters don't produce CO if they're working properly and have adequate ventilation. They will produce carbon monoxide if ventilation is inadequate and are usually fitted with a safety device that turns them off if this happens.
I would much prefer a properly vented heater, as you have now. If it can't be repaired, replace it. Catalytic heaters can also be a bit smelly, and if anything flammable touches the inside (catalyst bit), it will set fire to it. Not safe to leave on if you're asleep or out.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

Mick James

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Brechin
Funster No
MH
Swift royale 540
Exp
I'm a newbie
My only concern would be with potential fumes. I like to be able to leave the heating on when it is cold. The Carver unit was designed for the task and fitted in such a way as to be safe with, presumably, good ventilation of any fumes. Would you feel confident about an alternative unit matching the safety aspects of the original Carver.
EBAY = Carver Caravelle 4 Gas Fire + Thermostatic Control Caravan Campervan Conversion
£29.95
0 bids
+ £15.00 postage

Alan

Would the Caravelle 4 fit in place of the 3000s Alan?

Upvote 0

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
remember if you do fit a replacement heater you must replace the silicon rubber flue O ring seal with a new one, they are not re useable.

Upvote 0

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
£29.95
0 bids
+ £15.00 postage

Alan

My main concern would be the radiant heat from a gas fire. In a very small space radiant heat from the fire can easily overheat surfaces opposite the fire with the possibility of the surface catching fire.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back