Am I being paranoid? (1 Viewer)

Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
We are going to head south to Yorkshire at some point this year and will visit my sister in Leeds. She has invited us to park on her drive which is fair enough. Thing is her cars have been broken into a couple of times. Several years ago my car got broken into twice in the one week when visiting her. It seems that there are some really inquisitive people round there. I would sleep in the moho with the dogs so if they did break in I don't think they would hang about but . I've often thought about putting an extra bolt on the hab door but not sure what is the best way to do it? Am I being paranoid or do others feel the same when parking places where they know the car crime rate is higher than where they normally go?

Thanks

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
I personnaly do not think you are being paranoid and are, sensably thinking ahead about what actions to take regarding additional security measures.

If you were being paranoid you would be considering placing landmines around the vehicle, they act as a great deterent, especiallt after the first one has gone off.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
gordoncbrown
Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Got a Brightlock lock for the Hab door. Got Lock M out's for the windows. Additional steering lock etc. Can't seem to get land mines locally. I was thinking about doing something to disable the engine. What can I remove in seconds that would be easy for me to re instate?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
just buy a few "I love Pitbulls" and "Pitbull on guard" stickers for the van. plus putt a blue flashing LED in the windscreen. both will make the opportunist thief think twice

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Got a Brightlock lock for the Hab door. Got Lock M out's for the windows. Additional steering lock etc. Can't seem to get land mines locally. I was thinking about doing something to disable the engine. What can I remove in seconds that would be easy for me to re instate?

Hi, not too sure if your are sorted - but we have one of these fitted.

It locks from the outside when you go out, locks open when travelling and also locks/operates from inside too. Just a little more peace of mind I suppose. Its a Milenco.

Apologies for the crap photo.:Doh:

Regards,

Trikeman. :winky:

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009

Fit a strikeback alarm, you can turn it off in a split second and protects your m/h simples Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
get a parrot.when you wake up mine.he is louder then any alarm.and he gives a nasty bite.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Hello Gordon I'm no expert on car crime but from what I can gather most of it is opportunists chancing their arm.and a lot of it is done under the cover of darkness.Extra locks will just mean it takes them longer to get in and they will cause more damage.
However if said van was occupied and had a dog ( of any variety ) the bark and a few expletives would have any chancer on his heels and looking for a softer target.The safest van is an occupied one!

Vlad

Last edited:
OP
OP
gordoncbrown
Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Hello Gordon I'm no expert on car crime but from what I can gather most of it is opportunists chancing their arm.and a lot of it is done under the cover of darkness.Extra locks will just mean it takes them longer to get in and they will cause more damage.
However if said van was occupied and had a dog ( of any variety ) the bark and a few expletives would have any chancer on his heels and looking for a softer target.The safest van is an occupied one!

Vlad

Thanks. I am contemplating sleeping in it. Bro in law is quite adamant it will be ok but when we get up in the morning and it is gone saying I told you so would not feel very good at all. One of our dogs will probably not settle in the house at night so this will give me a good excuse to sleep in the moho with her. I'm sure it will be fine but thinking about sensible precautions in advance seems like the right thing to do.:thumb:

Apr 8, 2008
Snaith
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Nineteen years
I would ring your insurance company I rang caravan guard as we stay with friends in Canterbury they informed me I am covered for three nighs, more than three I have to inform them and thats if I am parked on the drive.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back