How many of you are able to keep your motorhomes at home? (1 Viewer)

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
At the moment although we store our MH where we used to keep our caravan we can bring it home and park on the paved front garden when we want to.

This is easy for cleaning tanks, packing up to go away and getting the fridge cold.
We're now faced with moving house (downsizing/releasing money) and almost all the properties we've looked at are not suitable to do this.

Just wondering how those in a similar position cope.

philw111

Free Member
Mar 22, 2009
Moray Firth
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 484
Exp
Since 2004
We don't have a front garden and no vehicle access to the back so the MH is parked on the road.

Mind you, we do live in a little village so parking is not that much of an issue

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
Whilst we have the room to store our motorhome at home, there's a clause in our deeds that clearly state that we aren't allowed to keep a caravan (which includes "motor-caravans") at our property. I believe that restriction is quite common - so you may be advised to check before purchase

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
Luckily after removing a fence post and modifying a wall we can get ours in the front drive, but at 7.4 m long it's pushing our limits, but the idea of having it in storage is a non starter as far as we are concerned,
It's left plugged in and very easy to do the little maintenance jobs that keep cropping up, plus the loading / unloading after a trip makes life easier, :thumb:

Sep 12, 2012
Wengen
Funster No
MH
A/S Broadway EL 2021
Exp
Since 2010
I've constructed a new parking area off from the front drive, also managed to install a EH point, water tap & an easy access mains drainage cover. :Smile:

Trikimiki

Free Member
Oct 14, 2012
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Luckily after removing a fence post and modifying a wall we can get ours in the front drive, but at 7.4 m long it's pushing our limits, but the idea of having it in storage is a non starter as far as we are concerned,
It's left plugged in and very easy to do the little maintenance jobs that keep cropping up, plus the loading / unloading after a trip makes life easier, :thumb:

I almost do the exact same. brilliant for tipping out and in, tanks etc.
Downside is neighbours always asking if you hire out the thingy.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
Although I've a perfectly good parking space for Udo at the side of my garage, I choose to keep Udo in storage for a few key reasons:-

1. The 'space' is often taken up with two of our four cars.

2. Although I'd love Udo around all the time, my view is that he's better off in his heated, secure, undercover and fully insured storage area.

I know it's nice having your MH on your drive. If I had a decently large carport, I'd do the same, but there are distinct advantages to having your MH 'offsite' at a reputable place where advantages such as the ones I get do pay off. I placed Udo into storage late November all polished. Three months later he was taken out and was just as clean as the day he arrived there. Plus his batteries are kept charged and the heating helps keep his interior in good condition. The costs aren't unreasonable either, in my view.

Please don't consider lack of driveway space a disadvantage. You may lose that 'instant-go' ability, but you should gain in many other respects.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
lucky enough to be able to get mine in the garage though I did have to modify the doors to get this one in @ 3.2m high. would never live somewhere that I didn't have room for my vehicles off road.

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
We are changing over to a MH in a few weeks, but intend to keep it on our drive. We had the caravan on it for 4 years and the neighbours are fine with it. There is a covenant on our property but only a builders one which restricts us keeping one on our drive. Mind you that covenant also said no satellite dishes etc! I have been advised the covenant is only forceable by the builder and since he sold all the houses 14 years ago does not care:Smile:

Jul 27, 2010
Farnham Surrey
Funster No
MH
Bilbos Nexa
Exp
on and off since 1980
We have plenty of space and keep ours at home, we are considering keeping it in storage some of the time. It is a bit of a give away when it is not here, there is a 99% chance that we are with it somewhere and the bungalow is empty.

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
I have my front lawn tarmacked,can now get my tin box right in front of my house.it does help with the loading and unloading.and it came in handy,when we had some friends round for the weekend.some of stayed in it.now they want one.i might have started a funster of.:Eeek::thumb::thumb:

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
we now have ours on our drive i made more room for the mh and its ok for the cars as well we have always had it in storage but at over £400a year we decided to keep it here also when i have a row with swmbo i can retreat to the mh :Smile:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
We're lucky enough to have plenty of space in the garden and park it up behind the house. We connect the EHU up every night, handy in winter to keep some heat coming through..........and very handy if we have an argument, as it's somewhere else to escape to, with radio, tv and comfy bed:thumb:

Margaret

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We keep it at home and always have done, we have a large drive so no problem doing so but it is at the far end, away from the road. Those who know we have a PVC are aware that when it's not here we are more than likely away, but as we aren't on a main road and only have a modicum of passing traffic, it's not so obvious to all and sundry. I certainly would not like to put it in storage as that would be a pain, not to mention an additional expense.

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
We're now faced with moving house (downsizing/releasing money) and almost all the properties we've looked at are not suitable to do this.

We have recently downsized as well-we only looked at properties that were suitable for parking M/Home and 2 cars.
We also enquired about covenants before viewing,and drove around looking for other M/Homes or caravans.
Good luck,

Mike

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
We used to keep ours on the drive and store the trailer at work but when I retired I had to bring the trailer home and therefore there wasn't room for both on the drive. One of the main reasons we don't mind leaving it in storage is that we live on a main road and there were numerous occasions when friends commented that they assumed we were away because the motorhome wasn't there. If they had noticed it wasn't there I'm sure that ne'er do wells could arrive at the same conclusion.

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
We keep ours at home, thankfully. Have seen a lot of damage to friends MoHo's when they have been in storage, caused either by the storage or other caravan/MoHo owners. They have always had issues trying to sort out damage when picking theirs up - one or two of them have also had parts stolen with the answer from the site owners 'oh, someone must have stolen the parts, claim it off your insurance', including a complete Ducato mirror.

When I had my insurance quotes they all asked if the MoHo would be kept in/at storage sites and most of them said the premium would be higher than my driveway if I did - must be something in that.

Regards,

Trikeman. :winky:

Movinon

Free Member
Feb 1, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Lots
Funnily enough we considered that parking our motorhome in view on our property would not be as secure against theft as in storage. There's risks to everything I suppose. We put ours into storage instead of parking it at our house with the following in mind:

At the house it would be:

A security risk
An advertisement for when we're away
An eyesore for the neighbours (we're all in bungalows in a particularly beautiful setting)
Blocking light to (and view from) windows on that side
Requiring considerable money to be spent on the parking area
My wife wants to grow vegetables on that spot

Storage at £450/yr isn't too bad when you consider that a round trip to the mainland for us costs £140 on the ferries

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
We have recently downsized as well-we only looked at properties that were suitable for parking M/Home and 2 cars.
We also enquired about covenants before viewing,and drove around looking for other M/Homes or caravans.
Good luck,

Mike

I think the solution for the OP is to carry on searching - there is a smaller property out there that will be right for you, and have the space to park a motorhome too!

You just need to keep hunting....

Good luck, in any case. :thumb:

Mike

longdog

Banned
Apr 16, 2013
Funster No
I can keep my MH on my driveway, 7mtrs being about the maximum for me. There was a covenant by the builder that no vans, caravans, MHs, trailers, etc be kept on driveways, as the builder has now sold the estate to the local council, I tend to ignore it. My neighbours are pretty tolerant and I cut the grass of my next-door neighbour to keep him sweet :RollEyes:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We just moved house before Xmas and have always been able to keep the MH at home, in this house we have taken down a gate post to fit the MH in and even then we have to reverse it 25meter with mirrors folded in.

I am in the process of dismantling the old garage so I can park the MH on the concrete slab and have just bought a 8x10 shed to store the junk.
We find it so much easier at home as we tend to use it for days out on the spur of the moment.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
One reason we bought this house is that it had plenty of parking (we had 2 Cavaliers and a Mini in the family at the time).

When we decided to buy a van we checked covenants (none) and part of the spec was that it had to fit within the parking space as we do not want to use storage. Our current van is 22 feet long and fits comfortably with plenty of room to get the car past to put it in the garage.

We have very good neighbours who keep an eye out when we are away (plus an alarm and good locks) and the road is reasonably quiet (apart from school times) so we have no concerns on that front.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We are in the middle of nowhere and there are no covenants so the motor home will go in front of the boat store (aka garage) when we get it.

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
None now 😢
Exp
Ours is kept at home on hook up so very convenient, my brother or children stay at the house when we are away to look after the cat and chickens so we don't worry about burglars.

Downside is that I do tend to get up in the night if I hear any noise outside tho:Eeek:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi, keep mine by the side of my house . in summer run a lead into the house from the inverter . saves paying for some electric . usually run the house fridge and the deep freeze for nothing .

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
We have plenty of space and keep ours at home, we are considering keeping it in storage some of the time. It is a bit of a give away when it is not here, there is a 99% chance that we are with it somewhere and the bungalow is empty.

I was told many years ago by a policeman that keeping a motorhome or caravan on your property is like a invitation to any local burglar to help themselves to your house when your away and the chances are you will be away for a while so they can take their time. That's why I prefer to put mine in a secure compound. :thumb:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Ours is in storage, and so doesn't advertise when we are away.
We wouldn't keep it at home anyway as our drive is full with our other three vehicles, and the size of the MH would block a lot of light from our sitting room.

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
Altered the front garden to make way for my motor home, I keep it plugged in most of the time, and it is used nearly every day, we also have a caravan and a car on the drive, caravan is always plugged in, if I am away in MH the caravan is left on the drive, and visa versa, years ago had caravan in storage, after a brand new one was stolen, thieves had to go over two fields after getting it out of a barn, we took ours out of storage, plus insurance is more expensive when in storage.

My friend said it is a pity we have MH and caravan in front of house as it is pretty put cannot really see it because of the vehicles, I agree but we prefer them on the drive for our benefit, wouldn`t look at a property without a large drive or facilities to make one.

It is so convenient to just go out there , to clean, do maintenance and load up etc, also I use it just to sit in with a coffee and a book, as I love it so.:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
At the moment although we store our MH where we used to keep our caravan we can bring it home and park on the paved front garden when we want to.

This is easy for cleaning tanks, packing up to go away and getting the fridge cold.

Couldn't park ours at home till this happened
Link Removed

Trap door in the rear
gas fire converted to a propex blown air heater
The space converts on traveling to a locker for water and grey hose storage

It now parks between us and next door on our drive
Mirrors have to be folded in and 5 ft back from the front
Of our house so the gas supply can be turned off
Or meter read
There's a few more pics if you look on my picasa site in signature strip

:thumb::thumb::thumb: