Caravan to motorhome bits (1 Viewer)

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
We are taking delivery of our first motorhome in May. We are trading in our caravan and just had the last trip in it. Now we are deciding what accessories are going to be needed in the motorhome. We saw a number of motorhomes this week using water containers and waste containers. Is this needed? Is there any real benefit to carrying them? Just seems like more set up to me. Has anybody moved from a caravan to motorhome and found any of the bits are useful?

The other query is when trading in a caravan/motorhome does the dealer inspect the caravan? Just working out how long we will be at the dealers for. What should be left with the caravan?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
if trading in, whether caravan or motorhome, you take out all your personal stuff and generally any accessories not screwed on etc. if you get a price for it including awning and say motormover, then they should be there when the van goes to the dealer. if the price is for van only, take out awning and water carriers etc. the dealer wont pass these on with the van and will sell them as second hand. better you sell what you dont need and have the extra cash

when swapping from caravan to motorhome, all small camping bits and spare parts are used just the same. caravan awnings dont generally fit motorhomes, but with some models an aquaroll and wastemaster can be very useful. hang on to them for a while to see if you will use them in the van.

Ive got loads of such bits in my shed, from hitch and wheel locks through to a few awnings and aquarolls. all obtained when buying caravans and motorhomes second hand from people giving up the hobby. reminds me I really must list some of it on ebay to make room. will wait till the other caravan i have is sold. if the buyer wants some bits to get started will sell it to them or sweeten the deal by adding to the bits already with the van

Upvote 0

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
We kind of just emptied out our caravan into our motorhome although as eldest daughter was having the caravan, we did leave some of the bits in - the Porta-Potti for instance as it wasn't plumbed in, too old ! and the awning.

But cutlery, crockery, gas spanners, all the tools in there, airer to hang out the window came out - left the pans for daughter and I had new - but kept eg grater, colander, I regret now leaving her the tea bag squeezer cos you can't seem to see all stainless steel ones these days. LOL Even the cushions, they matched the upholstery in the new one! She was miffed about that but since it was a gift, told her not to push her luck!

It's a great excuse to have New Stuff. And we all like New Stuff. :roflmto:

You'll just have to stocktake and take anything you are particularly attached to because you'll go to use it - and say Damn! before too long if you don't. :Doh: First thing was the little spirit level, oh bugger! - left it in the Avondale .....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Oh dear!

You appear to have discovered, like us, that motorhome users come in two types. This has left you confused!::bigsmile:

There are caravanners who own motorhomes and motorhomers!

We will assume, because you are buying a motorhome and are on this forum, that you wish to be a motorhomer!

Follow this simple rule-
If you cannot arrive at your chosen location (not neccesarily a site!) and be sitting with a brew or glass of wine within 5 minutes, then you are a caravanner who owns a motorhome!

If you can, welcome to motorhoming!:thumb:

As for those waste hogs and aquaroll, WHY?!!!

Your Chausson will have 100 litre plus water tanks and it has its own wheels to get to a service point!

All you need is a bucket, watering can, hose with a few adapters, a hook up lead and some levelling ramps. Any other kit means you are still a caravanner!!!!!!!:roflmto:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Spidey
Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
Oh dear!

You appear to have discovered, like us, that motorhome users come in two types. This has left you confused!::bigsmile:

There are caravanners who own motorhomes and motorhomers!

We will assume, because you are buying a motorhome and are on this forum, that you wish to be a motorhomer!

Follow this simple rule-
If you cannot arrive at your chosen location (not neccesarily a site!) and be sitting with a brew or glass of wine within 5 minutes, then you are a caravanner who owns a motorhome!

If you can, welcome to motorhoming!:thumb:

As for those waste hogs and aquaroll, WHY?!!!

Your Chausson will have 100 litre plus water tanks and it has its own wheels to get to a service point!

All you need is a bucket, watering can, hose with a few adapters, a hook up lead and some levelling ramps. Any other kit means you are still a caravanner!!!!!!!:roflmto:

I agree we were amazed at the number of motorhome owners that set up like caravans. Just a question what do i need the bucket for? :Blush: we will have one as it is always useful. But has it a specific need in the MH?

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
When our Autoquest was "dented" by Asda we took out everything that wasn't tied down - even included the battery as the door lock was smashed by the impact. When the insurance company wrote it off they didn't ask for anything but the keys, registration document and MoT certificate - so that's all they got :Smile:

Upvote 0

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
I agree we were amazed at the number of motorhome owners that set up like caravans. Just a question what do i need the bucket for? :Blush: we will have one as it is always useful. But has it a specific need in the MH?

The bucket is useful for several things-

1.Decanting grey waste if there is no drive-over service point.
2. Placing under your open discharge valve during ski trips to catch water so your waste tank doesn't freeze solid.
3. Carrying beer cans to the recycling point.
4. Washing the dogs.
5. Washing bikes.
6. Keeping the BBQ charcoal bag in whilst in the garage.
7. Cleaning the BBQ.
8. Cleaning the canoe.
9. Finding bicycle punctures.

There are other uses!::bigsmile:

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child

hi. bucket for peeing in ,or washing the van . lots of reasons .
you dont need levelling ramps just cope with the slope . lets the oil puddle in your frying pan for cooking the eggs etc.
best wash the bucket out after having a pee or you might get yellow stains on the van .ha ha .

Upvote 0

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
hi. bucket for peeing in ,or washing the van . lots of reasons .
you dont need levelling ramps just cope with the slope . lets the oil puddle in your frying pan for cooking the eggs etc.
best wash the bucket out after having a pee or you might get yellow stains on the van .ha ha .

We have never used our bucket for that purpose, but this springs to mind!::bigsmile:

Max And Paddy Road To Nowhere Episode 3 Part 1: [ame]http://youtu.be/b5Xd7e14FHA[/ame]

Upvote 0

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
We take a wheeled waste hog - if on a site for a few days, the last thing I want to do is disconnect the awning and plough my way in the MoHo to the waste point to discharge grey waste. I much prefer to put the hog under the waste outlet and open the tap. I also take the loo out and put that on the hog and strap it down and off to go dragging the hog to the waste. Clean both and return - and all before the missis is awake.
:thumb:

Maybe that's the description of a caravanner, dunno, but for sure it makes life easier in the MoHo. The hog is great for carrying the 30 litre fresh water tank on too.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Trikeman. :winky:

Upvote 0

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
We have one of those garden waste plastic bucket type things. (How's that for a poor description?)
http://s7g1.scene7.com/is/image/BandQ/5037151008352_001c_v001_ap?$173x173_generic$=
It's flexible so can be squashed into a corner. We put it under the waste water drop every morning if we're on site and carry it to the waste water dump. We also carry a watering can and top up fresh water a couple of times a day on site. Both these items are useful for loads of things as already listed but we use the chemical loo for peeing in. :roflmto:

Upvote 0

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
One of the most important items, which you may already have is ........

............ A SHED , in which to keep all the vital bits and pieces that you will undoubtedly accumulate but will never use.:winky::Doh:

Good luck with the new m/h just relax and enjoy ... you will soon discover the things that are necessary and those that are not.

Upvote 0

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We have an aqua roll and waste carrier from our caravan. They are still in the garage. We may get a bucket....to wash shellfish we collect on the beach, watering cans have never figured, if we run low on water we fill up with a hose. But then, we don't tend to stay anywhere longer than a couple of days, so we fill up and empty out on arrival and leaving if need be.
We do carry a couple of full 5 litre water containers to top up the toilet header tank and bottled water to make tea / coffee.

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
...... watering cans have never figured, if we run low on water we fill up with a hose.

on this aire at Plouha I couldn't reach a tap... (and I carried 50mts of hose) so the watering can saves the day

notice the mod on the can to make it easier to fill the tank.. it also focuses the mind when you have to fill every drop by hand... you use less fresh water :winky:

a picture says a thousand words.. ::bigsmile:

Attachments

• 1-DSC_5232(1).jpg
    1-DSC_5232(1).jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 61
Upvote 0

Movinon

Free Member
Feb 1, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Lots
A watering can is a very useful item - we have a similar arrangement. This works well as I do all the outside work. I doubt my wife could lift a large can up high enough for long enough. We carry a 25L grey water container for flexibility. We also carry two 10L containers for drinking water. We are a lot more picky about the quality of that water than we have to be about what goes in the main tank for washing. It is also the case that after some time water in a tank can become less than wonderful for ingesting. We prefer to see the quality before we drink.

As far as the difference between a caravanner and motorhomer is concerned, if you spend all your time hooked up in a caravan park then you are a caravanner, or you might as well be.....

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Spidey
Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
So would i take things like scatter cushions? If the dealer is going to sell them himself i would rather have them. But i assume i leave the water filter plug? Or i can that be used on the motorhome? I was going to leave the basin, chopping board, drainer etc that fits the kitchen sink, but would be annoyed if the dealer sells it separately. I just assumed anything that came with the van (not the tv, that failed after 2 years!) stayed with the van.

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
if the chopping board is the one that is shaped to fit the sink, then that would stay, as would a submersible pump. but take out scatter cushions and any other loose items

used items like a washing up bowl will probably just be binned as they will try and sell the new owner a new one from their accessory shop. the same with any crockery or utensils. anything else of value will be sold separately.

have seen all manner of tvs and kettles being sold second hand by dealers. clearly they were left in vans when traded in.

Upvote 0

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
I would take out of the caravan, anything that wasn`t in it when you bought it, as dealers do sell separately, made that mistake when selling the first caravan., if it goes with the van, ie. draining board that goes with that sink leave in, , gas bottles, take out gas bottles, if they are the wrong size for your motor home you can trade in for the size that you do want.

I have a 23ltr waste water container for my own ease of use, saves moving the MH and some sites do not have the MH emptying waste points, so can use the ones the caravanners use if not, I also have a watering can, fill tank up at home with water hose, then top up when on site, I carry two 5ltr water containers for the drinking water, the tank is for showering, washing, washing up, making tea/coffee etc.

Enjoy your new toy, happy travelling.:thumb::thumb:

Margaret

Upvote 0

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
We took everything that wasn't fitted out of our caravan & if it hasn't been suitable for the motorhome then easy to sell at this time of year. We have found that having had a large caravan & moving to a small (6m) motorhome we have had to buy smaller versions of items to fit. Most caravanning items sell for good money so long as clean & tidy condition - see sold prices on eBay for a guide - so more money for new motorhome toys!

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
I have a waste hog - which I have found to be pointless. Last time I took it to the temporary Caravan Clubs campsite at the NEC.

"Whatcha doing with that?" said the marshall. "Emptying it into that big stinking tank" I said. "Don't bother, just let your water out into the ditch. We don't have capacity in the tank for grey water from motorhomes" :RollEyes: Reminds me of all the great grey water debate.Broken Link Removed "Faecal matter" being the phrase that still makes me smile now and was again brought to mind when half the country was flooded earlier this year.

I do use a 40 litre water hog. This is very handy when settled in only to discover we don't have enough water. I have a socket on the outside for a water pump - so two trips and you're full of fresh water without having to mess about packing stuff away.

Upvote 0
Apr 22, 2012
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape
Exp
Eight wonderful years!
Perhaps obvious, but...

One of the main differences between caravanning and motor homing is that in a caravan, things can live out (kettle, draining rack, fruit, books etc etc) but in a motorhome everything has to have a home (or you'll hear that dreadful sliding sound followed by a thump as you go round the first bend!). So lockers need to accommodate these things. Also - unless your motorhome has a garage or outside locker (ours doesn't) - you need somewhere to store stuff that you would have kept in the car boot (warning triangle, snow shovel, tow rope etc) and stuff that would travel loose in a caravan (elec cable, levelling blocks etc). We bought (ebay) a Fiamma box to fit on the bike rack and keep light things in that.
On the water front (so to speak!) our tank is not big so we take a couple of 10 litre plastic water carriers (with taps) and use them if we know we'll have no access to fresh water. We can fill our tank from inside the motorhome so don't need a watering can. (If our pipes don't reach the tap we can fill the tank using the water carriers.)
Like the idea of taking a flexi garden bucket for grey waste and washing dogs!
Enjoy for new life of freedom!!

Upvote 0

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
When we changed from a caravan to our MH we kept the aquarolls, wastemaster etc. but they lived in the shed for a year never to see the light of day. We sold them on ebay. All we left in the caravan for the dealer was the hook up lead and water pump that came with it.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back