Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
We was discussing at work would a truck night heater which is 24v be able in any way to work in a motorhome ? Wondered if it was possible and shall I start dismantling my truck in my lunch break:Smile:.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Should not be a problem,but be quick though and get a "24-12 volt dropper" because when the boss finds out,your P45 could be home before YOU !!!:Doh:
Tea Bag.
PS. You may find it harder to sleep in your m/home due to the noise,remember,when bedding down in the lorry,you are tired enough to sleep through a bombing raid.
PPS. If you are NOT tired?? as above..........." Your P45....etc.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:"
Tea Bag

OP
OP
Ivory55

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
It was a lunch time discussion , one driver said it could not be done that's why they are cheaper then motorhome 12v heaters and they could only ever work on 24v .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
No cant be done no way never ever
ps Send me the bits when you get it out:winky:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
You would need to buy a 12vdc to 24vdc voltage converter (step-up) to supply the heater ..

before buying, check the current required on the heater data plate.,, something like this which is a 10A unit

Broken Link Removed

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi.
Should not be a problem,but be quick though and get a "[HI]24-12 volt dropper[/HI]" because when the boss finds out,your P45 could be home before YOU !!!:Doh:
Tea Bag.
PS. You may find it harder to sleep in your m/home due to the noise,remember,when bedding down in the lorry,you are tired enough to sleep through a bombing raid.
PPS. If you are NOT tired?? as above..........." Your P45....etc.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:"
Tea Bag

eh !!!! Surely you mean a 12v to 24v converter

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
My Eberspacher works fine on 12 volts. In fact, much better than the Truma 4000 LPG heater, which is supposedly the best on the market.

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
I had a Eberspacher diesel heater in my motorhome 12v and it was excellent , worked very efficiently and kept mh lovely and warm, don't know about 24v down to 12v though, although it can be done no problem with a dropper, but will it work ok????? don't know what mine was 12v or dropped 24v to 12v?????? don't know, but it worked perfectly.
Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
should work ok with the right 12v -24v voltage converter , I,ve got an Eberspacher D5 in mine that has been playing up but as I work with the heaters mainly D4 / D2 models I tend to keep a bits and pieces in stock, rather than carry on messing about with mine I was going to replace it , trouble is I have virtually brand new Mikuni MY30 sitting here but it's 12v and my system is 24v so either voltage dropper or battery balancer required,

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
I am not a qualified Auto electrician or maths teacher,i have to take my shoes off if struggling to count above 10. However,after years of "Putting a little sand down:winky:." I have found that more often than not along will come some one to put me right at no expense to myself...RESULT.
Thank you for your input and correcting me,it is a win win again,for not only myself,but other people may have learned from my error. In the old days we used to ask for a 24-12v dropper for the CB's was i wrong there as well ?:Doh::Doh:.
Keep up the good work,if you learn some thing new of a day,the day is not wasted:thumb:.
Tea Bag.
PS.Despite all teachers best efforts and the promise of a "Mercian" racing cycle from my parents,i failed my 13+ to :Eeek:
PPS. I did get a bike it was a.......... Hercules Kestrel.:Smile:

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
Hi.
I am not a qualified Auto electrician or maths teacher,i have to take my shoes off if struggling to count above 10. However,after years of "Putting a little sand down:winky:." I have found that more often than not along will come some one to put me right at no expense to myself...RESULT.
Thank you for your input and correcting me,it is a win win again,for not only myself,but other people may have learned from my error. In the old days we used to ask for a 24-12v dropper for the CB's was i wrong there as well ?:Doh::Doh:.
Keep up the good work,if you learn some thing new of a day,the day is not wasted:thumb:.
Tea Bag.
PS.Despite all teachers best efforts and the promise of a "Mercian" racing cycle from my parents,i failed my 13+ to :Eeek:
PPS. I did get a bike it was a.......... Hercules Kestrel.:Smile:
No mate you were right then if fitting CB's into a truck using a 24v system, the CB would have required a 12v supply via a 24v-12v dropper, the OP was talking about using a 24v night heater from a truck in a motorhome that uses a 12v system hence needing a 12v - 24v voltage converter

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I was going to vote this 'Today's Most Confused Thread' beating the one about Fiat autoboxes narrowly into second place, but it has turned out well in the end! Don't you love it here?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back