Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Hi All,

Never one to stand still - my next project,,,,,,,,, Air suspension is going to be fitted - I'm so excited (and getting a 'little moist' here) with the prospect of getting under, getting dirty and getting 'suspended' - I'm doing it myself and REALLY looking forward to it.
:roflmto:
Ordered all the bits this morning and paid for special delivery so it arrives Saturday - however, the project starts this morning, in about 10 mins time, if I can wait that long. I want to get everything stripped, prepared and ready so when the parts come it will be on with the parts and get pumping - as it were.
:thumb:

Wish me luck - I will of course take some pictures as the job progresses.

Regards,

Trikeman. :winky:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
You fitting the full Air VB system... ?

If you are you wont regret it...

Fantastic bit of kit giving a superb smooth ride...

And you can throw away your wheel ramps,,,, cos it does all that as well.. :thumb:

OP
OP
Trikeman

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Update #1

Hi All,
well, this has gone great so far and I must have a little Italian friend who greased everything before installing all the bits - everything undid very easily.
::bigsmile:
Anyway, fully loaded ('just' inside the 3840kg) the rear ride height was low(ish) as below.

So I thought air suspension was the way to go to raise the rear AND give a more stable, comfortable ride. This would be complimented by the ability to 'lift' the rear end even further if needed, on a ramp for example and allow us to slightly vary the levels whilst on site.

To the job - The MoHo when loaded would be just sitting on the bump-stop and this was job #1 to remove theses. One sharp tap to the cut-out on the bump-stop collar and they wound out by hand - very nice Italian man and his grease.
:thumb:

Once the bump-stop was unwound I put a small scissor jack between the chassis and spring to lift the chassis by an inch to enable me to remove the bump-stops.

Then removed.

I then tested the load sense valve (LSV which was working fine) as this has to be adjusted to suit the new ride height position once the air suspension is installed. As the new ride height would be higher the LSV would 'assume' the MoHo was lighter, but the weight has not changed so the LSV will have to be adjusted to compensate for the new ride height to enable the correct braking to the rear brakes.

Last job I could do today was to remove all four rear spring 'U' bolts, clean up the threads and lubricate ready for the new system that will bolt on via the 'U' bolts and top of the air 'bag' will be mounted where I just removed the bump-stop rubber. I also removed the upper spring saddle, cleaned and ensured the road spring centre bolt was intact and correctly seated.

Vwallarrrrrrr - Just two more sleeps before the parts come and hopefully my next instalment of the exciting series of 'Trikeman's projects'.

Regards,

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Well done for that Trikeman, tho I'd have to say, any job which has gone as smoothly as yours so far would have me worried !!

OP
OP
Trikeman

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Well done for that Trikeman, tho I'd have to say, any job which has gone as smoothly as yours so far would have me worried !!

Its got me worried too - I am never usually blessed with things going so smoothly.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Trikeman

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Update #2 and finished.

Hi All,
well, just got back from road test - Excellent stability and smooth as butter on the road. Roundabouts an absolute breeze now and no (very little) buffeting from coaches overtaking and side winds - it's genuinely like night and day the difference in driving and the ride height is MUCH better.
My parts came this afternoon (many thanks to Steve from Marcell) and straight on with the job - which I really enjoyed and all went together superb with no hitches.
Anyway, here are some photo's of the kit now fitted.

Air bellows fitted and at this time deflated.

And here is the same bellows with 35psi and 13.5cms top to bottom of the bellows.

Here is where I fitted the gauge and distribution system, drivers footwell rear. Great this one as you can fill both rear air bellows at the same time and get them equal pressures OR you can knock one side off and pressurise the other higher (or let down) to vary the height one side to another - great for levelling.

If there was enough people wanted this doing I could see me doing this for a living, I enjoyed it that much.

Regards,

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back