Where do you keep your dog when.......... (1 Viewer)

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
Parked up?

During our trip we noticed that the majority of Motorhomes and Caravans had one, two and even three additional residents i.e. dogs. One dog was left outside caged up inside a pup tent most of the day when not being walked and all night. I didn't see anyone else do this so I am guessing that isn't the norm. My wife was close to tears, poor dog :Sad:

Where does yours stay/sleep?

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
ours has free run of the motorhome, is often outside with us and is never left for hours on end.

we got the motorhome so the dog could come on holiday with us, I dont believe in putting pets into kennels

Our dog will sleep wherever she fancies it, either in her basket, on the settee or on the captain chair

Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
ours has free run of the motorhome, is often outside with us and is never left for hours on end.

we got the motorhome so the dog could come on holiday with us, I dont believe in putting pets into kennels

Our dog will sleep wherever she fancies it, either in her basket, on the settee or on the captain chair

Pretty much the same for us. Although we do try to discourage them from the seats but usually lose out. We cover everything with throws......:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
We have one of them big spikes which we hammer into ground and attach a long lead to Elvis so he can't wander off :Smile:

And he sleeps wherever he wants :roflmto:

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
Ours has the run of the van with the exception of our bed. During the day and when travelling her be sits between the cab chairs. At night her bed is moved nearer to ours as she would not settle at the other end at night. She definitely likes to be close :RollEyes:

Mastercamper

Free Member
Dec 7, 2013
Northumberland Flag Flier
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
50 years campervanning
Parked up?

During our trip we noticed that the majority of Motorhomes and Caravans had one, two and even three additional residents i.e. dogs. One dog was left outside caged up inside a pup tent most of the day when not being walked and all night. I didn't see anyone else do this so I am guessing that isn't the norm. My wife was close to tears, poor dog :Sad:

Where does yours stay/sleep?

If my dogs can`t go with us away from the camper van, then we don`t go away from the campervan.
Simple really.
Sometimes in extreme situations, they have the run of the van, if they can`t come, ie hospital visits etc. all roof vents open and windows etc for ventilation. plenty of water.
Good security too.
If needed we have a 12 volt ventilating fan

Overnight,they sleep on their own cushions in the front area. This is their choice.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Pretty much the same for us. Although we do try to discourage them from the seats but usually lose out. We cover everything with throws......:thumb:

Ours have half of the "garage" for when we have to leave them in the van for shopping, ferry etc. & they would never think of getting on the furniture even with the throws on.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
some more ideas here

Link Removed

The 'Ringleaders' solution :thumb:

Link Removed

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Mine has the run of "his" van ::bigsmile:

It's his favourite place to be and he sleeps wherever he likes. When we go out from the van he usually stays inside (he doesn't play well with other dogs) and spends a few minutes guarding on the front seats then crashes out.

When we built the van we went overkill on the insulation to make sure it stayed nice and cool in the summer for him, although we do open the room lights and he has his bowels.

He loves the driving as well. If we drive by a dog being walked he always looks at them and starts laughing. You can see his mind working "ha, they have to walk" ::bigsmile:

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
ours is a staffe we don't argue with him he want's to sleep some ware he sleeps there but he does prefer my drivers seat
when we are on site he is out side most of the time it's a dog and thay don't mind as long as there with the pack ::bigsmile:

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
One of our dogs (the one in my avatar) is quite nervous, so like to hide away either in his tent (during the day) or in the motorhome. :RollEyes:
Both of them have free run of the motorhome during the day, but sleep on the dinette bed at night.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
some more ideas here

Link Removed

The 'Ringleaders' solution :thumb:

Link Removed
Elvis would hate to be outdone :roflmto:

IMG_2170_zpsf181cb0f.jpg

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I gave up trying to keep mine off the seats. I cover the in duvet covers from charity shops ( seats, not dogs) They will stay in the motorhome if they've been walked. Mine are both from Cyprus and have lived in SW France for 7 years so it has to get very hot before they'd notice. They have a ground peg outside with plastic covered wire leads. And they like going out in the car too. Holly would sit in the back of a car all day every day of she could. They're pretty easy going tho will bark at other dos passing " their" motorhome.

OP
OP
ABZSteve

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
Pretty much the responses I expected i.e. not outside, caged in a pup tent for hours on end and overnight. Our pooch had the run of the motorhome also but everything was well covered with throws (£2 each from ASDA ::bigsmile: ) and additional old duvet sheets, supplied by the hire company for the purpose of seat covering. We were soaked most days so the extra covers made all the difference. To be honest, and as I said in another post, he settled very well and hardly moved; only from the dinette to the sofa side when looking at other dogs through the window.

54mud

Free Member
Sep 18, 2009
Stone, Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
24 on and off
Our dog Oskar loves to travel with us. He just curls up in his bed behind the front seats when we are moving. When we are parked, if we are outside he will be, and when we are in, he will join us. At night we put his bed by the door and he will stay there all night untill he hears us getting up. And being by the door at night he will stop anybody who breaks in as they will trip over him.
We can leave him in when we go out and he is happy to just sleep, not a very good guard dog as he never barks at anything.

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
mine stays with us or sleeps where she wants.but not on our bed.my idea.not the wifes.:thumb::thumb:

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
My 2 little Bichon Frise have separation anxiety.

They have to be practically touching us or within sight if they open there eyes.

I took a blow up bed with me to Spain, in order to lay on my tummy in the sun and get my back brown.

As soon as it was blown up the dogs claimed it for their use:Sad:

They have the run of the motorhome, and at night Tiny sleeps on the bit between the two single beds ( u shaped lounge used as 2 singles) but when the temperature drops she snuggles in next to me under the duvet to get warm.:roflmto:

Buster sleeps on Alan's bed by his feet:Smile:

Roryboys Dad

Free Member
Mar 19, 2012
Glapwell Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Reference P716 LPR
Exp
Yorick - Quote - We have one of them big spikes which we hammer into ground and attach a long lead to Elvis so he can't wander off.

We have one of them big spikes which we hammer into ground and attach a long lead to the Wife so she can't wander too far away from the sink and cooker – then me and the dog go for a long walk!
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

He always drives when the wine glasses have been out.

:france::france::france:

Attachments

• Dog Drive 6.jpg
    Dog Drive 6.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 11

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Our dogs are allowed everywhere in our camper ... try to stop them and all you get is big soppy eyes looking up at you, ears at 'half mast', head slightly cocked to one side, and them telepathically sending the 'how can you refuse me, I'm so cute' messages! ::bigsmile:

I made fitted covers for out dinette seats to protect them and removed all excess original furnishings into 'storage' for when we sell the van and put in my own ones which I don't worry about. I have even made some doggy 'duvets' from an old double one we had, just cutting it down and stitching the edges, and made some covers too - these are for when it's cool overnight to try to encourage them to stay in their beds instead of wanting to come up on ours! The duvets may seem 'daft' but they actually work - we some cot blankets/throws for them but once the dogs get out from under them they can't then snuggle back under, but they can with their duvets ... it doesn't always work though! :RollEyes:

They have their walks/runs before we go out on our own, that way they just settle down for a while so we don't need to worry about them - blinds drawn, sun shades on, roof vents open etc to keep them nice and comfy. One likes to be in the camper most of the time as she's a bit 'nervy' so likes her safe space under the table, but the others like to potter. If there's something we can take them with us to enjoy, such as going into the 'caves' in France, on a canoe trip etc, then we'll usually take them so long as it's not too hot as they are usually cooler in the van than out with us! :Doh:

Another Lesley

Free Member
Jan 9, 2013
North East
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2010
We travel with four dogs and they live in the motorhome as they do our house, they have the freedom to be anywhere they want as long as it is not on our bed. On the outside we put up some puppy panels so they can either be in or out when the door is open and they come and go as they please. They are safe and happy and we have peace of mind that they are safe and happy. They will bark if another dog invades their territory but on the whole they are peaceable enough. When traveling they each have their own travel crate which are on the floor of the motorhome as I won't have them loose whilst I am driving...again it is safe for them and us. Personally I don't see the point of having a dog or dogs if they are going to be excluded from your family life. I sadly have also seen dogs either tied up outside all day and evening or left alone for hours on end and it does make me sad.

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Our Staffie comes everywhere with us, including when we go away. He (sometimes they) sits in the evening in the centre of our 'U' shape whilst we relax, and at bedtime he sleeps between the two sofas in the dining part of the MoHo - or at least that's where he starts off. He can be found anywhere in the morning, wherever its the warmest I suppose.

I couldn't (wouldn't) make him sleep outside and no doubt he would bark the whole site into submission if we tried. Our mutt IS part of our family and we treat him as such. In the day he walks wherever we walk and if in the toad he's on the back seat.

Trikeman. :winky:

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Our GermanShepard/Border Collie cross, Lucy, travels everywhere with us.

When travelling she has her bed just behind the cab seats where she lie down or sit up and see through the windscreen.

On site, in fine weather, she likes to be outside so she can keep an eye on everyone and everything, so we also utilise a "screw spike" to attach her to.

If we go out she usually goes with us. As we live in France for half the year that's not a problem. She is welcome in bars, hotels and restaurants, unlike the UK.

If we have to leave her to shop etc. she has the run of the M/H with roof vents left open and blinds half down if sunny.

At night she has her bed between our bed and the habitation door. Pity anyone trying to come in through there during the night!

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Toby travels in his cage which he is more than happy todo, as soon as we open the door he's straight in and lying down even if we are only going in to get something. We tend to take him most places but when we go abroad we leave him with my parents or in the Kennels as it wouldn't be fair to leave him in van all day and some places we visit we can't take him. Last week we headed to London and because we knew we would be out a lot we left him at home in the kennels far better than being stuck in a MH all day.

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Dog has run of the van because I can trust her not to get on the furniture. It is her home as well as mine. :Smile: She has her bed on the floor in the lounge area.

When the weather is good she will happily sit outside the van on her tether, watching the world go by. I can leave her there quietly while I go off for a few minutes to do the van chores, but she will stay in the van if I have to go out for a few hours. This doesn't happen often as most of the time she goes wherever I go. ::bigsmile:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Pretty much what everyone else has said. Meg has the run of the van, and is outside when we are. She travels on the L shaped seat (with a cover as the seats are leather and she slides off) and has a harness fastened to a seat belt 'socket'.
At night she sleeps in her bed in the drivers footwell (her choice) or sometimes near our bed (not on it though). We don't normally leave her though, if she can't come with us we don't go.
Shopping, one of us (me) stays with her.

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
Our little fella is never further than the end of the lead from us
If dogs are not welcome we don't go
And we don't leave him alone in the van

At home different rules longest we leave him is about 3 hours daytime
Night time he sleeps in the kitchen as all our previous dogs have

Was in a cracking pub weds near the Thames barges at Maldon
At the jolly sailor pub
three dogs in the pub with their owners
And us with buddy no probs meal was good as well

We went to maldon high street while there was amazed as
I was waiting outside a ladies shop clothing an shoe affaire !!??
When I could hear dogs barking/yapping from a shopping trolley type thing
There were two chiwauwauwa dogs in a fabric dog crate on wheels
Straight into the shop I was standing outside off
I suppose that's one way of taking the dogs with them

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Oct 29, 2013
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year motorhomer after 21 years caravanning
Toby travels in his canvas and mesh cage and has the run of the floor area once we are parked up on site,he never gets on the seats or bed. When we are outside he is with us and he has a 3 mtr lead which is looped around the rear near side wheel. We only leave him alone in the MH for short periods preferring him to share in whatever we are doing.......pubs not allowing dogs in do not get our custom- simple :Smile:

Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Yorick - Quote - We have one of them big spikes which we hammer into ground and attach a long lead to Elvis so he can't wander off.

We have one of them big spikes which we hammer into ground and attach a long lead to the Wife so she can't wander too far away from the sink and cooker – then me and the dog go for a long walk!
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

He always drives when the wine glasses have been out.

:france::france::france:

Nice Collie:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back