Free Member
Apr 12, 2014
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
im a newbie
Hi, Total newbie here and not booked anywhere with my new camper as yet. I work from home so can basically set off anytime I wish and I am thinking of doing around 8 weeks in June. My question is do you have to book in advance at most sites or can you just turn up? Do you have to say how long your staying or can you just go on a night by night basis depending if you like the site/area?

I understand sites may vary and the time of year but I fancy just going from site to site without booking the whole trip weeks before hand, any pointers/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks Mr Newbie

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Very rare a site is fully booked. And not booking makes the journey more flexible :Smile:

Oh, I thought you were taking the dog for a moon mission today........ Do they have good wifi up there? :winky:

Seriously - Yorick has a good point. A number of sites will show full when booking online but a phone call to the site itself can produce some good results even with the very busy ones. We are cowards and always book ahead:Blush:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Sep 12, 2012
Wengen
Funster No
MH
A/S Broadway EL 2021
Exp
Since 2010
Hi & Welcome :)

Afraid your plan won't work :RollEyes: It's impossible to do 8 weeks in June as there are only 4 available! :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
a great deal of freedom in not booking and just going where the tide blows you. however in this country in school holidays, it gets very difficult as the best sites get fully booked. mind you, if you are self sufficient, the c&cc local district associations and motorcaravan section all hold THSs in the holidays. absolutely brilliant fun to be had and on a budget too

Upvote 0
OP
OP
karel

karel

Free Member
Apr 12, 2014
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
im a newbie
Afraid your plan won't work :RollEyes: It's impossible to do 8 weeks in June as there are only 4 available! :ROFLMAO:

Setting off in June for 8 weeks :thumb:
the c&cc local district associations and motorcaravan section all hold THSs in the holidays. absolutely brilliant fun to be had and on a budget too

THSs?

I have joined the caravan club this morning but not the C&cc as yet

Upvote 0

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
Hi and welcome, as a site owner we have those that turn up and stay as long as they want and those that book for a certain amount of days. We welcome both types of visitor and I'm sure thats right with most sites.
Had a motorhome that booked for 1 week and ended up staying 3 !
Hope this helps :thumb:

Upvote 0

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
the c.c.c is the better of the clubs.but that's just me.i am now ducking,i can feel those bricks coming.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
THS = Temporary Holiday Site

We've done a combination of booking and just turning up in the past..... if there is somewhere we want to be at a certain time we would always book but other times take our chances. We have even had one site that would not take bookings - it wasn't a nice site when we got there and the owner was horrid so we moved on after a single night.

If you are really stuck a post on here will give you a heads up of somewhere you can park up.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
karel

karel

Free Member
Apr 12, 2014
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
im a newbie
Thanks Dylan that's a big help, is it one of those they book in for a night and just keep popping in saying ill stay on or do you just leave it open for them on arrival?

Again im new so apologies for any dumb questions

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Setting off in June for 8 weeks :thumb:

THSs?

I have joined the caravan club this morning but not the C&cc as yet
the c&cc THSs are rallies held by local groups and clubs. usual cost £7ish per night, often with entertainment. absolutely brilliant for meeting new friends and exploring different areas

all you need is to be a member and be self sufficient as in own loo and shower etc. we have travelled the uk enjoying these meets. often for the entire summer. it really does need to be experienced to be appreciated fully:thumb:

a bonus of being in the c&cc is the discount on RAC and the extra cover for motorhomes including over 3.5tonne and over length and they will actually come to you on a rally field unlike other similar breakdown companies

Upvote 0

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
Thanks Dylan that's a big help, is it one of those they book in for a night and just keep popping in saying ill stay on or do you just leave it open for them on arrival?

Again im new so apologies for any dumb questions

Not dumb at all, mostly they leave it open on arrival which is fine.

Upvote 0

Ber090

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 12, 2012
West Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2012
Hi Karel, If you want to use Caravan Club or Camping and Caravanning Club sites you need to remember that certainly in June and July they will be showing full on Saturday nights. Most will be but always worth a phone call direct to site. There is still an issue with people booking months ahead and sometimes cancelling last minute.School hols are always busy.
Remember the world is bigger than C.C. & C.C.C.:thumb:
Cheers
Bernie

Upvote 0
OP
OP
karel

karel

Free Member
Apr 12, 2014
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
im a newbie
the c&cc THSs are rallies held by local groups and clubs. usual cost £7ish per night, often with entertainment. absolutely brilliant for meeting new friends and exploring different areas

all you need is to be a member and be self sufficient as in own loo and shower etc. we have travelled the uk enjoying these meets. often for the entire summer. it really does need to be experienced to be appreciated fully:thumb:

a bonus of being in the c&cc is the discount on RAC and the extra cover for motorhomes including over 3.5tonne and over length and they will actually come to you on a rally field unlike other similar breakdown companies

I will join both for the sake of the cost as that sounds my cup of tea, especially when travelling alone, nice to hook up with others.

Upvote 0

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Some people book others turn up on spec, some book for one night and end up staying 2-3 weeks it all depends on the weather, and very rare we are fully booked even at peak times. Rallies can offer excellent rates for a few days in one place as well. (check out the Ilfracombe summer rally in August.)

Upvote 0

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
I prefer not to book, didn`t have to decades ago when tenting, just turned up, pitched where you wanted and someone came round in the morning for that nights fee, was freedom camping, booking takes some of the freedom out of it, never go in school holidays, or bank holidays, always booked with the caravan in this country, never when we went on the continent, so when I go in my motor home I will not book, do not know where I will go for one thing.

Margaret

Upvote 0

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Once you get the hang of things a bit why not consider crossing over into France and maybe further. You will find it a quite different experience. Many towns, cities, villages have Aires (Aire de campingcar) where you turn up (no booking possible) and facilities for filling/emptying are available and spaces to pitch overnight or for a couple of nights in some places. They are usually close to the town/village as it encourages trade for them. Many Aires are free or just a few €s and motorhomes are made welcome (only motorhomes can use aires). It means you have the freedom to tour moving from place to place as you wish with no requirement to be anywhere in time for your booked slot. We even book a ferry one way and tour round for weeks at a time then, when we feel ready head back toward the chanel and book our return crossing a day or two before boarding. No stress, no rush to catch a booked site or ferry and no worry about how far can we go before having to head back. :thumb:

A much better experience, in my opinion.

Seemed a bit intimidating until we tried it and now we love it.

Wyn

Upvote 0
OP
OP
karel

karel

Free Member
Apr 12, 2014
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
im a newbie
So basically you can you just turn up at the office and ask if there is any room on site or ring on your way?

Upvote 0

Soozywoozy

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Oxfordshire - edge of the cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes
I am presuming you are talking just UK, as June/July on the continent will be different, especially July. Also avoid like the plague the weekend around Aug 1st in France when roads are grid locked from 6 in the morning as france empties en masse for les vacances (speaking from experience) Having just got back from Germany the campsites ranged from virtually empty to "no you cannot stay more than one night - we are fully booked, check in the morning - where 2 nights was the max!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
karel

karel

Free Member
Apr 12, 2014
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
im a newbie
No just U.K, just starting out so need a bit of experience under my belt

Upvote 0

OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Wow!! Thank you everyone for this thread - answered a whole heap of questions I was going to get round to asking, but now don't need to. :Smile:
Good stuff! :)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back