Edinburgh, George Street, MH parking ticket (1 Viewer)

Jul 23, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
knaus van ti 600mg
Exp
Getting There since 2013
I popped into town today by bus because I can't be bothered trying to park the car, so I was walking along George Street and see this French motorhome parked in 2 bays next to the kirb (for those of you that don't know George Street has a long central row of parking and some kirb side parking) so the motorhome has bought 2 parking tickets for the 2 bays and has them clearly displayed in the window but as the Edinburgh traffic wardens known as Meanies have their reputation to keep up have issued a parking fine :Angry:

What gets me is that the council should be encouraging/welcoming foreign tourist to the city and they had paid for 2 bays.

On a completely different note, seen as I just found out the hard way, if you're visiting Glasgow the bus lanes are 24hrs and the council have invested in Super Cameras @17k each to catch you through the night :Angry:

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
It does appear that no local council likes MH's and where ever we go we always try and buy from the local shops.
Have been down in Glasgow several times in the last month or so and stay at CC site at Strathclyde Country Park because they run a mini bus into the town centre or to the SECC / football or whatever is on so no hassle trying to park the HM

Jim and Lorraine

Free Member
Nov 10, 2012
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I agree,
Our perception when we park up is " not another Motorhome"
We feel the attitude is if we allow one, before we know it we will have a travellers site, with milk churns and Transit pick ups etc
if you know where I'm coming from.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The thing that surprises me is how somebody managed to find two adjacent free parking bays on George Street.

Whether or not use of 2 bays is allowed varies throughout the country and, like any parking anywhere, it is up to the individual to make sure they are parking in accordance with local conditions not assume. Also, parking within busy city centres is - as we all know - at a premium anyway so it should come as no surprise that it is heavily restricted.

As regards dislike of motorhomes, the fact is that of over 400 councils in the UK, less than 22% have no off-street parking facilities for motorhomes - and even there on-street parking is usually available somewhere. The majority of those 22% are in areas which are not popular visitor destinations.

Trikimiki

Free Member
Oct 14, 2012
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Being a life long Glaswegian, I would like to defend this, war torn, cratered road City.
As far as I know there is no[HI] particular[/HI] provision for Motorhomes in the City. That said if you know the City well you can find masses of places, where you can park a van. Having given it a little thought overnight here are a couple of solutions. Park and ride Shields Road, no specific parking bays, but no height restrictors, unless recently erected, in the outdoor park, several streets around most of the out of town underground stations, but being a small underground system takes 15 mins from furthest out station.
As for Glasgow bus lanes being 24 hour, only in very few locations, all have huge signs informing you of hours of operation, usually 7.30 to 9.30 and 4.30 till 6pm

Please do not let the scare monger stories keep you away. This City is a positive vibrant place.

If you need any info just PM me and I will try and help if I can.

OP
OP
DonA4000
Jul 23, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
knaus van ti 600mg
Exp
Getting There since 2013
With the parking you would have thought that paying for 2 bays would be ok! They where probably just passing through and wanted a couple of city photos before moving on.

@Trikimiki

Thanks for the update on the bus lanes, as I'm very rarely in Glasgow and use to seeing times up for bus lane use I didn't know that if there's no time then its 24hrs. The thing was I'm trying to navigate through the city the satnav kept loosing signal, I knew that a left turn was coming up so moved over into the bus lane thinking well its late a night the bus lane won't be running :Doh:

:Smile:

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Being a life long Glaswegian, I would like to defend this, war torn, cratered road City.
As far as I know there is no[HI] particular[/HI] provision for Motorhomes in the City. That said if you know the City well you can find masses of places, where you can park a van. Having given it a little thought overnight here are a couple of solutions. Park and ride Shields Road, no specific parking bays, but no height restrictors, unless recently erected, in the outdoor park, several streets around most of the out of town underground stations, but being a small underground system takes 15 mins from furthest out station.
As for Glasgow bus lanes being 24 hour, only in very few locations, all have huge signs informing you of hours of operation, usually 7.30 to 9.30 and 4.30 till 6pm

Please do not let the scare monger stories keep you away. This City is a positive vibrant place.

If you need any info just PM me and I will try and help if I can.

I went to Glasgow once,40 years ago, but then I'll try anything ONCE!

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I went to Glasgow once,40 years ago, but then I'll try anything ONCE!
We tried, once, but couldn't find the car park we had been told was OK for the van. We saw the signs - several signs - but they always seemed to be pointing in the direction we had just come from. We gave up and left :Smile:

We do intend going to one of the C&CC THSs at Bridge of Allan some time though, so that we can explore Glasgow, Stirling &c :Smile:

Trikimiki

Free Member
Oct 14, 2012
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
We tried, once, but couldn't find the car park we had been told was OK for the van. We saw the signs - several signs - but they always seemed to be pointing in the direction we had just come from. We gave up and left :Smile:

We do intend going to one of the C&CC THSs at Bridge of Allan some time though, so that we can explore Glasgow, Stirling &c :Smile:

Bridge of Allan is good for Stirling but a bit of a trek to come into Glasgow, especially if you want to look around for the whole day

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003

We visit Paris often but usually stay n a site then metro or RER in but have seen lots of motorhomes asked down by the Seine and in the streets around the Eiffel Tour some overnight ! Never been brave enough to give it a try though !! :ROFLMAO:

Sep 5, 2010
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Always - off and on
Graham - easy to take the van from Bridge of Allan to Springkerse Retail Park, Stirling - Park & Ride to Stirling town centre/rail station - train to Glasgow, very regular service.
Pat

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Graham - easy to take the van from Bridge of Allan to Springkerse Retail Park, Stirling - Park & Ride to Stirling town centre/rail station - train to Glasgow, very regular service.
Pat

Thanks Pat. Trikimiki has already given me a "heads up" for the train to Glasgow Queen street station.

Looks like we shall have to make a trip after all that help :Smile:

Also fancy looking at the Falkirk Wheel - trouble is if my mate's brothers in law caught me I'd never leave town sober (though I'd still have a full wallet) ::bigsmile:

Spottycatz

Free Member
Feb 17, 2013
Racodorm
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low Profile
Exp
Still making mistakes! But they're not as costly.
Gotta be honest, don't get people who want to park in cities, just don't get it,:Eeek:

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
Thanks Pat. Trikimiki has already given me a "heads up" for the train to Glasgow Queen street station.

Looks like we shall have to make a trip after all that help :Smile:

Also fancy looking at the Falkirk Wheel - trouble is if my mate's brothers in law caught me I'd never leave town sober (though I'd still have a full wallet) ::bigsmile:

The Falkirk wheel is well worth a visit, with plenty of parking, it's got to be one of the best bit of engineering I've very seen. :thumb:

Feb 26, 2012
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
Motorhome since 2006 (caravanning 38yrs)
Falkirk wheel

Good experience but use the South side parking. There's very limited MH space on Millennium Wheel Drive and barriers on the main car park on that side.

Brian

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
I am in the middle of a row with the Edinburgh parking department over their lack of information for motorhomers. They said "whilst motor homes would be able to park in the city this would only be if they could fit wholly within the markings of a public parking bay.

In parking zones 1 to 4 each public parking bay is individually marked but outwith these zones the public parking bays are not marked out individually so it would be possible to park a motor home there without risk of receiving a parking ticket for being outwith the bay markings.

Any vehicle that takes up two individual bay regardless of whether they have paid for both of them would be liable to receive a parking ticket under parking legislation

Information on zones and pricing can be found in our interactive parking map, if I can assist you with any other queries please do not hesitate to contact me.
"

So I am asking for the 'legislation' since there is not any information which is either helpful or relevant on their parking web site. During my searches I found this web site which claims that parking fines in Edinburgh have been illegal for 12 years! But I'm not sure what date it is...

I'm just being awkward really...

Trikimiki

Free Member
Oct 14, 2012
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Just past St Andrews house, there is a car park with large spaces as it is laid out for coaches in truth, however if you pay your cash cannot see why you could not park there, and will certainly be within their lines, problem is by memory, it is £3 an hour, but as coach drivers usually sit on bus they never pay and chat to the attendant when he / she appears, or drive off

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Having been in contact with Edinburgh City Council on and off over the last 7 years or so I would be surprised if their traffic orders were illegal. If it were me I would rather use a P&R and get the bus in, anyway, that try driving a large vehicle round the streets of a city like Edinburgh :Smile:

I would caution against using coach bays anywhere without checking that they can be used by other vehicles. Many are specifically for coaches.

That appealnow article would carry more weight if it had a date of publication, especially as it refers to the implementation of a new TRO (which might well be now in place) and "the past 12 years" (since when?). All it has are two copyright statements with different dates.

Trikimiki

Free Member
Oct 14, 2012
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Graham is right stay out of the Coach bays, we cannot use them

Coaches
You can find coach parking in[HI] Regent Road [/HI]and Johnston Terrace. It costs £4.00 per hour and operates from 8.30am to 6.30pm, Monday to Saturday.

Coaches cannot park in pay and display bays. You can also use RingGo (external link) to pay for coach parking.

Minibuses
If your vehicle holds 12 or less people and can fit in a normal parking bay then you can park in public parking spaces if it does.

Caravans and trailers
There are no spaces in the city centre for vehicles with caravans or trailers. A parking ticket can be issued to vehicles parking in public parking places whilst towing a trailer.

I knew it was only Coaches in Johnston Terrace, but apparently you cannot use Regent Road either, so using their rules, do not bring a motorhome into Edinburgh, the Council do not want you.

OP
OP
DonA4000
Jul 23, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
knaus van ti 600mg
Exp
Getting There since 2013
Only because I know Edinburgh areas where you can park just outside the zones for free which alot of them would be safe enough and just a 20 min walk into the centre. But places like the park and ride and Sheriff Hall have hight restriction after travellers left a big mess :Angry: Its ashame because it has a good/short bus service, other places like Wallyford have a park & ride where you can get bus or train and I have seen larger vehicle's there.

What's the point in having a park & ride if there's barriers? Does anyone know if they have to open them up for us motorhome visitors?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Only because I know Edinburgh areas where you can park just outside the zones for free which alot of them would be safe enough and just a 20 min walk into the centre. But places like the park and ride and Sheriff Hall have hight restriction after travellers left a big mess :Angry: Its ashame because it has a good/short bus service, other places like Wallyford have a park & ride where you can get bus or train and I have seen larger vehicle's there.

What's the point in having a park & ride if there's barriers? Does anyone know if they have to open them up for us motorhome visitors?

Details of the P&R sites round Edinburgh are Here. Click on the green dots on the maps to bring up details including height restrictions. Some sites have restrictions and others do not.

Having dealt with both Edinburgh and Midlothian councils I know that they would love to have no height restrictions but - as you mention - traveller problems have arisen in the past and the cost of dealing with such incursions can be too high when the public interest as a whole is considered.

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Having been in contact with Edinburgh City Council on and off over the last 7 years or so I would be surprised if their traffic orders were illegal. If it were me I would rather use a P&R and get the bus in, anyway, that try driving a large vehicle round the streets of a city like Edinburgh :Smile:

I would caution against using coach bays anywhere without checking that they can be used by other vehicles. Many are specifically for coaches.

[HI]That appealnow article would carry more weight if it had a date of publication, especially as it refers to the implementation of a new TRO (which might well be now in place) and "the past 12 years" (since when?). All it has are two copyright statements with different dates.
[/HI]

I agree Graham...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back