Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
I am having trouble with non responding websites, extremely frequently, due I believe to IE being very troublesome, cannot find any technical help from Microsoft, can anyone tell me in simple English how to remove IE from my laptop, and what could I use for internet access in it's place, Google Chrome etc?.

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
I struggled along to long with IE but started using chrome few weeks back its a lot better just import favourite links over.
To get rid on my laptop in - control panel - then programmes and features - select IE - click uninstal .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
change to chrome job done :Smile:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Firefox and Chrome.. I use both .. they are different.. so try each and decide what you prefer.. both equally good.

As far as I know you cannot un-install IE .. it is part of Windows 7 OS

s7ev0

Funster
May 31, 2010
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit
Exp
Since 2009
Here's a simple browser comparison chart:

Browser.jpg

Steve :Smile:

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
To get google chrome you load IE in the first place, then in the search box you look for google chrome. Be sure to pick the search result that comes from google and nobody else.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
can anyone tell me in simple English how to remove IE from my laptop

You don't need to remove it just load up another browser and set the new one to be your default browser. It should give you the option to do this when installing.

If you managed to remove IE no doubt it would just re-install itself at the next Windows software update.

I must confess I use both IE and Chrome. Chrome is good for working with Picassa as I can pick up the URL of pictures directly in it which for some reason I can't do with IE, but for general surfing I still prefer IE which at the moment is behaving itself.

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
i mainly use Firefox and was having similar problems to yourself. It turned out to be a problem with incompatible add-ons, I just went through each add-on individually turning them off and, by process of elimination, worked out which were causing the problem. But, like I say, that was using Firefox as I never use IE.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
i mainly use Firefox and was having similar problems to yourself. It turned out to be a problem with incompatible add-ons, I just went through each add-on individually turning them off and, by process of elimination, worked out which were causing the problem. But, like I say, that was using Firefox as I never use IE.

Have to agree about add-ons, the more you have, the more bugs you get, the browser slows down and is more likely to crash .. they cripple browsers.

Use them very sparingly.. and bin the ones you rarely use..

As for IE.. as I said, it is part of the OS and cannot be deleted.. only rolled back..

I have come across a few sites that will only work on IE so I would suggest you keep it up to date as advised by Microsoft.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Have you recently updated the Flash Player plugin? I realise this may not be relevant to you as my experience is with Safari on a Mac, but I installed a Flash update a few days ago (version 13 I think) and it caused all sorts of problems. I then trashed the plugin and rolled back to Flash 12. Perhaps a similar situation exists with IE?
As a matter of course, I try to avoid Flash - I have the browser set to force HTML5 in preference to Flash (using an add-on called 'click to flash') but on some websites only Flash will work so I have to keep the plugin.

Jun 10, 2011
Yorkshire (nr. Leeds)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011 (so a bit of a newbie)
Internet Explorer 11 has been particularly problematic.

My wife has a long standing web site (since 1999) and she gets so many people these days who email in with problems and they are always using Internet Explorer. She just tells them to install Chrome and instantly everything just works fine.

People just stick with IE because that's what the computer came with, but these days there are far better browsers such as Chrome, and don't dismiss Opera as it is actually rather good and it is nice to support the little guy some times :Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back