Free Member
Oct 27, 2013
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I am a newbie
I know this will seem daft, but I cant find the drain tap on the fresh water tank outlet. Just getting it ready for our first trip on Wednesday. Pouring water into the tank with the recommended method of watering can and it's running out through the drain hole. Looked everywhere and cannot find how to stop it.

The MH is a 2007 Lunar Premier HS622 on a Renault chassis.

Help if you could please.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
on some models you have a plug inside the tank. you need to unscrew the inspection hatch and push the plug back in if this is the case. otherwise just follow the drain off pipe back to the tank and look for a valve

unless of course its the truma dump valve that has opened during cold weather or if the electric powered version, the power is off

sorry cant be any more help

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
I don't know your particular van but have you taken the lid off the tank and looked inside? Many tanks have a plug on a chain like a kitchen sink plug. You have to stick your hand in and replace it if it's been pulled out. Not sophisticated - but functional. :Smile:

OP
OP
electrajohnt

electrajohnt

Free Member
Oct 27, 2013
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I am a newbie
Thanks

I thought it was something more sophisticated like a ball valve or similar. I have had the cover off with all the level probes and submersible pump etc on it and seen the outlet. Just didnt think it would be a bung. Just need to find the bung now.:Smile:

Thanks all.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
If you are anything like us, have you looked behind the clock on the mantel piece ? :Smile:

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Perhaps you could work backwards from the point where the water is pouring out? Use a slow running hose if you are close to a tap, then you won't be running to and fro with cans. I know this method sounds strange, but if you can trace the out-pour, the valve may not be far away.

As it's a fairly modern 'van, my money is on the fresh water dump valve being open. Frequently, these are left open to drain the system for winter. Look under the seats etc. These valves are often painted yellow. When the 'tab' is vertical, the valve is open. When horizontal (i e level with the floor), it is closed. A short section of tube (barely visible) extends from beneath the valve through the floor to the outside to allow draining.

Hope this helps?
Let us know
James

themogs

Free Member
Oct 23, 2012
Wales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Not Long Enough.
on some models you have a plug inside the tank. you need to unscrew the inspection hatch and push the plug back in if this is the case. otherwise just follow the drain off pipe back to the tank and look for a valve

[HI]
unless of course its the truma dump valve that has opened during cold weather or if the electric powered version, the power is off
[/HI]
sorry cant be any more help

Had one of these on our chausson.
Many is the time I forgot to close the valve.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
The frost activated dump valve is usually close to the boiler, so if the water is coming out under the van from somewhere other than right under the fresh water tank, then suspect the dump valve.

This is of course no help whatsoever if your van has the boiler close to the fresh water tank! :Doh:

Mine are on opposite sides of the van, so a quick peek underneath reveals the culprit very quickly.

Depending on the way the pipework is laid out, you may find that an open dump valve doesn't reveal itself until you turn a tap on - so you might close the tank valve, fill it up & then still find water coming out underneath! :Sad:

OP
OP
electrajohnt

electrajohnt

Free Member
Oct 27, 2013
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I am a newbie
Thanks for that but,

The frost activated dump valve is usually close to the boiler, so if the water is coming out under the van from somewhere other than right under the fresh water tank, then suspect the dump valve.

This is of course no help whatsoever if your van has the boiler close to the fresh water tank! :Doh:

Mine are on opposite sides of the van, so a quick peek underneath reveals the culprit very quickly.

Depending on the way the pipework is laid out, you may find that an open dump valve doesn't reveal itself until you turn a tap on - so you might close the tank valve, fill it up & then still find water coming out underneath! :Sad:

The outlet to the dump valve is in a different place, this is 90% sure of being the tank drain pipe. I am having a go at making a bung out of wood tonight to go inside the tank. 22.5mm dia hole so if I make a taper and wrap som cloth around it it should do until we get back, unless anyone has another idea.

JohnT

OP
OP
electrajohnt

electrajohnt

Free Member
Oct 27, 2013
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I am a newbie
Temp codge done

Or try one of the rubber bungs they use in wine / beer making :thumb:

Made a tapered bung from a piece of hexagon brass, I have a small lathe, then cut the fingers off a couple of latex gloves and put them over, think of durex here.:RollEyes:

This seems to be ok until I get the right thing, where from I dont know unless I try the dealers I bought it off.

Anyway, thanks all for your suggestions, tomorrow I load up for Wednesday start to Padstow for six nights.:thumb:

JohnT

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
on my old elddis 400,they put the drain tap about 2inchs above the bottom of the tank.predicable thing happened the bottom fell out.still need a new tank.now use a hose and bucket.:ROFLMAO::Eeek:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back